SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-16, 10:49 AM   #676
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default DAMN THE TORPEDOS

In honor of the day! Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 'breakthrough' 3rd album> # 1 song REFUGEE :

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 08-05-16, 11:57 AM   #677
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

No idea why but Petty got me to remember this:

Weird Al - Bob
https://vimeo.com/44024588

(not random in the slightest, huh?)
Old 08-05-16, 12:55 PM   #678
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I love Weird Al's 'Bob', but a lot of people don't know that it's a spoof on another level, copying what Dylan did himself back in 1965.
Old 08-05-16, 01:04 PM   #679
Von Due
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I love Weird Al's 'Bob', but a lot of people don't know that it's a spoof on another level, copying what Dylan did himself back in 1965.
It's brilliant but so are so many of weird al's spoofs.

There is another spoof on my speakers now but the language in it won't fly here with all probability

You can always find Dutch Rudders - In A Field laying around on the web. If you have a taste for rc helicopters then the spoof is pretty ace.

Darn hot day. Time for
Toots & The Maytals - 54-46 Was My Number

Last edited by Von Due; 08-05-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 02:38 PM   #680
Von Due
Sea Lord

Toy Dolls - James Bond Lives Down Our Street
Old 08-05-16, 05:45 PM   #681
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default "The Bed"... Lou Reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Nico, the muse; the very definition of 'elegantly wasted'. Loved her ever since her days with the Velvet Underground.
...and the "Amphetamine Phantom". Great post, vienna.

Those of us who thought ourselves detached and rather superior were often attracted to the nihilistic counter-culture of the 'Velvets' and Andy Warhol.

'The Bed'

Though from a later time, later even than Transformer, this track from Berlin still gives an unnerving glimpse into that unique world. Don't listen to it in the dark:

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-05-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-06-16, 09:30 AM   #682
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Cher & David Bowie - Young Americans Medley (Live on The Cher Show)

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-06-16, 01:38 PM   #683
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
She did some tidy work with Bowie...

Marianne Faithfull, David Bowie - I Got You Babe

This appears to be an outtake from a TV performance Bowie did especially for the the late night weekly US live music show "Midnight Special" back in 1973. The show was taped at the Marquee Club in London; at the time, I recall there were people organizing viewing parties around town here in LA. The taping at the Marquee was made difficult by the fact the club, itself, was not very large and Bowie's theatrics tended to be of a larger scale. The show corresponds to about the "Pin Ups" period of Bowie's career. I always remember this show for the song "Sorrow"; the line "with your long blonde hair and your eyes of blue" reminds me of my first ex, from whom, at the time, I was in the process of divorcing...

It is really good to see Bowie performing with Mick Ronson, his fellow Spider. There are several versions of the compete show on YouTube, most of horrific quality; this is the best I could find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I doubt Weird Al was able to get the same person for his video (probably a look-a-like), but in the original Dylan video, the bearded fellow in the background in the shawl is none other than the famed Beat poet Allen Ginsberg (my first ex pointed that out to me)...

About 12 years ago, I was working at an office and some of us got into a conversation about music lyrics and I recited the lyrics to "Subterranean Homesick Blues" (my memory was much better then) and when I had finished, a young African-American guy, about 21-22 years old, said "Wow, who wrote that? That guy can really rap!" Imagine his surprise when I told him that bad ass rapper was Dylan...

Here is an alternate take of the song:

The song spawned many parodies:

Formula 1 Racing:

Sasquatch:

The song and its influence is timely, even today:

SuperDelegate Sellout Blues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
...and the "Amphetamine Phantom". Great post, vienna.

Those of us who thought ourselves detached and rather superior were often attracted to the nihilistic counter-culture of the 'Velvets' and Andy Warhol.

'The Bed'

Though from a later time, later even than Transformer, this track from Berlin still gives an unnerving glimpse into that unique world. Don't listen to it in the dark:

The manager of the rock club I used to work in was a huge fan of the sort of Wiemar cabaret style music; Kurt Weill, Bertolt Brecht, Lotte Lenya, etc. It was the custom to end each night with the playing of this Lou Reed song, itself a sort of homage to the Wiemar era, as the stragglers were shooed out the door:

Lou Reed - Good night Ladies

Here is a taste of the real deal:

Lotte Lenya - Mack The Knife (in German):

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 08-06-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-06-16, 03:39 PM   #684
Von Due
Sea Lord

With their amps all up to 11
Spinal Tap - Stonehenge
Old 08-06-16, 04:38 PM   #685
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
The manager of the rock club I used to work in was a huge fan of the sort of Wiemar cabaret style music; Kurt Weill, Bertolt Brecht, Lotte Lenya, etc. It was the custom to end each night with the playing of this Lou Reed song, itself a sort of homage to the Wiemar era, as the stragglers were shooed out the door:

Lou Reed - Good night Ladies

Here is a taste of the real deal:

Lotte Lenya - Mack The Knife (in German):

<O>
I posted some Kurt Weill on the previous incarnation of this thread, sung by Lotte Lenya and, more recently, Ute Lemper:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...3&postcount=41

Always in search of the esoteric, it didn't take me long to discover Die Dreigroschenoper... "The Threepenny Opera"... Brecht and Weill, and, unaccountably, find this stuff (even as a 20 year-old) compelling in a way that was somehow similar to the appeal of the Velvet Underground. Now I see why.

Another prized CD is from Columbia Records 'Masterworks', featuring Lenya singing a whole raft of Theatre songs by Weill, Paul Dessau, John Kander and Hanns Eisler.

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 08-06-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-06-16, 05:11 PM   #686
vienna
Navy Seal

I'm also a big fan of Ute Lemper; I have quite a few of her recordings and a number of the videos she released in the past. I first heard of her on a 24 hour satellite TV network, Classic Arts Showcase, a local PBS station, KCET, here in Los Angeles broadcasts in the wee hours of the night, usually from about 2:00 AM to about 5:00 AM. Some years ago, as a cost cutting measure, KCET cancelled the overnight broadcast and suffered a very severe push back from the viewers; KCET grossly underestimated how popular the program was and, since the station depends on contributions from the viewers, faced a big hit to their revenue; needless to say, they reversed their decision. Classic Arts Showcase isn't just about classical music; they feature clips from rare and classic films from around the world, experimental films and music from all eras, and some just very interesting oddities and whimsies. The network was created and funded by a philanthropist who wanted to bring the best in music, art, film, and performance to the viewing public for free. I just now revisited their website and found they now offer their programming streaming over the Net, again, for free. For those of you who may be curious, here is a link:

http://www.classicartsshowcase.org/

<O>
Old 08-06-16, 05:17 PM   #687
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Wamdue Project - King of my castle

Wamdue Project - You're The Reason

Ah, the last years of the 90's!
Old 08-06-16, 06:13 PM   #688
Von Due
Sea Lord

Dropkick Murphys - Field Of Athenry
Old 08-07-16, 09:33 AM   #689
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Queen & Annie Lennox & David Bowie - Under Pressure

Queen & David Bowie - Under Pressure

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 08-09-16, 03:55 PM   #690
vienna
Navy Seal

An additional Velvet Underground muse came to mind: Edie Sedgwick. She was also a muse for Andy Warhol and others in the New York underground scene. She was very beautiful and frail and deeply flawed. The Velvet's song Femme Fatale was reportedly written about Edie; many years later, she was the subject of The Cult's song Edie (Ciao Baby). She had a very tragic life, from the time she was born to the day of her death...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edie_Sedgwick

The Velvet Underground And Nico - Femme Fatale

The Cult - Edie (Ciao Baby)

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 08-11-16 at 03:28 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
music