SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which version of TSWSM are you looking forward to?
Version 1 156 20.77%
Version 2 79 10.52%
Version 3 29 3.86%
Version 4 77 10.25%
All of them 488 64.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-09, 04:58 PM   #661
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Well seeing as the entire TSWSM team is now expressing it's opinions on here as welel as our mod forums (not a gripe ... just an observation) ... I don't want to be left out so I'm inserting my post here from our forums for folk outside of our team to see;

Just to respond to thequestion regarding historical accuracy v gaming interest posted on the sub sim forums ... you know my opinion is to have some "deviation" from history - basically what if Hitler hadn't lost his bottle after the Bismark was sunk. Here's a couple of ideas;

1) Continued attempts by Scheer class ships to break out into atlantic to attack convoys - con run these as a playable career for the Deusthland class throughout the way - use the historical stuff upto Bismark sinking and then deviate as I suggest.

2) As above, make attempted breakouts by Tirpitz accompanied by Scharnhorst and / or Giesnau and possibly a Deusthland.

3) Attempt to have Bismark and whatever else available suicidely intercept / intervene in the D-Day landings - suspect would be similar fate to the last Yamato mission.... but worth putting in the campaign ?

4) Continued armed merchant raiding missionsin the atlantic, maybe accompanied by our newly developed sub capability (imagine a Milch cow which is also actively engaged in commerce raiding ?).

5) More ficticous attempts to use the German surface fleet (various) to bombard Northern Prussia etc during last days of war (some of this actually happenned ....but just expand it a little).

6) This is historically accurate - but maybe can be made more interesting - the whole Norwegian invaision - there were some veyr interesting surface engagements ... maybe we can just spice up alittle ?

7) Attempt to get Geisnau into the med ?

8) As above - maybe attempt to get a German fleet to relieve the blockaded Vichy fleet before it's destruction by the RN ?

9) Med stuff could be developed further once we have Italian ships converted (not first relese, I know, but worht a thought) ... in fact the whole med scenario is a big subject .... lot's of possibilities for battles which either never happenned or very nearly happenned .... what would have taken place had the Italians not run for port when engaged by Warspite & co. ?

10) ... controversial - same argument I used before for Hood surviving ...what if Bismark had returned to Norway after engaging POW & Hood ?

I think the above are worth considering given that restricting the German surface action to same / similar directive as U-boat war doesn't really provide the freedom you get by playing a U-boat - because the U-Boats scope of operations were massive throughout the enetire war.

And on the lighter side ... hell I've been getting so much general modding / damage modelling work to do ... I don't see why I shouldn't increase the work our leader has to do on the campaign files
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 05:00 PM   #662
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

On another note ... is ther an idiot, no, complete mooron's guide to taking video clips from SH4 gameplay ... maybe I can provide some footage of some of the testing ... I mean ... I've seen some of my test missions run 1000's of times ... I don't see why I shouldn't make the wider public endure viewing them
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 05:30 PM   #663
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

In light of the arguments here and the SWSM forums, I think a good mix of Historically accurate and "what-ifs" are in order.

okay, obviously, we have to completely toss the Bismarck and the other capital ships being sunk. I was thinking to make the Bismarck be unavailable after she was sunk, I.E, another commander was selected and he got her sunk anyways. But if you select the Bismarck, you can rewrite history but Germany will still lose.
The problem is is that a certain class of ships, best illustrated by the Scheer, Spee, and Deutschland/Lutzow is completely seperate of one another, the only time any of these ships will be in the same place is when they come off the slips, or when they met up in Norway. We have to make every ship it's own class, so we can split them up and keep a good dose of historical accuracy. Spee was already in the south Atlantic when the war started, the Scheer was still fitting out IIRC, and the Deutschland was out in the Baltic training. The Bismarck and Tirpitz were launched relatively close together, but still never really saw each other until they were ordered to blockade the Baltic from the supposedly escaping Russians, which never happened, and they never saw each other again.
putting one class of ships in the same base is silly and inaccurate, I would like to see accurate bases for the selected time period.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 01:51 PM   #664
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Do you think about use "air waves" against capital ships?
If capital ship is really close to enemy borders, the enemy should use bombers to destroy them, more and more if ship is closer to land (or can be detected by radar).

In this way each German raider will be destroyed before end of war...

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 02:25 PM   #665
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Air waves are already being worked out by me.

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 04:33 PM   #666
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

ACtually, Operation monsun's air patrols are pretty accurate, you just have to gear them for surface ships, because a depthcharge dropping close by did not faze the brave crew of the admiral scheer
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 09:11 AM   #667
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank View Post

ETA:
TSWSM V1 Atlanic Action: BETA- early May 2009, Full release hope fully by June 19, 2009
Hilfskreuzer and Armed Merchant Cruiser Mod:Beta- late May 2009, Full release by June 19, 2009
Ekhm... Today is day after June, 19?
Where can I download TSWSM mod?
Maybe changing the full release date is needed...

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 04:24 PM   #668
ivank
The Old Man

done

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 09-14-09, 02:17 AM   #669
mickey117
Gunner

Downloads: 85
hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
Ekhm... Today is day after June, 19?
Where can I download TSWSM mod?
Maybe changing the full release date is needed...
heyy dude sorry we have been pushed back alot so we have had to appot gwx way of things as in "it will be ready when it is ready" sorry m8

PART OF SUPER SURFACE WARFARE MOD
> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=144946

{FIGHT TO THE LAST SHELL}
mickey117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 07:47 AM   #670
pomquent51
Nub

Downloads: 19

hello, I want to know when the link of the mods will put online
pomquent51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 10:53 AM   #671
ivank
The Old Man

When Verison 1 is done, we will post the links

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 09-18-09, 04:27 PM   #672
Lipud U-107
Ensign

Downloads: 30
Default link dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Hey guys - someone had asked me a couple months ago for merchant ships that could be used for this mod? Here's the beta for the Merchant Fleet Mod; it includes several replenishment ships like oilers & ammo freighters that might be useful for resupply points. Be advised, these are still in the SH3 format.

Thanks

http://files.filefront.com/MFM+Beta+.../fileinfo.html
I read a long time the article and see the beautiful work on this modem is a pity that the link is not active. pozdrawiam

P.S. Version 3 I saw a lot of interesting country but not Polish and I feel a little sad for that reason because the Poles were beautiful and very brave ships thunderbolt I ORP, GROM, błyskawica http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_B%C5%82yskawica and Polish submarine ORP of which the most famous eagle which escaped from the Talin (Estonia)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Orze%C5%82
Lipud U-107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 04:51 PM   #673
ivank
The Old Man

The countries in Version 3 are not set in stone countries may be added, depending on how V1, V2 and the WW1 mod go

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 09-18-09, 05:39 PM   #674
Lipud U-107
Ensign

Downloads: 30
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank View Post
The countries in Version 3 are not set in stone countries may be added, depending on how V1, V2 and the WW1 mod go

I found an interesting page with the plans that I think may be useful

http://images.google.pl/imgres?imgur...a%3DX%26um%3D1
Lipud U-107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 09:56 AM   #675
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipud U-107 View Post
I found an interesting page with the plans that I think may be useful

http://images.google.pl/imgres?imgur...a%3DX%26um%3D1
And interesting they are
Take a look Ivan and SH, especially in the plans section. Lots of original ship drawings with permission to reproduce in electronic form
Thank you very much, Lipud

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote