SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.20%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 195 18.71%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.11%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 552 52.98%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-10, 05:01 PM   #646
ERPP8
Commodore

Downloads: 161
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I haven't made any cold war submarines (i'm a newbie at 3d modeling), so the first version of this mod will include only ww2 equipment. Gato/Porpoise for the player and AI Uboats.

I'm doing testing with Fletcher and Mutsuki (both ai), so these will be included too.

Any playable sub will easily be implemented into this mod. It only needs some adjustments for RPM value, TorpMaxLaunchDepth, and torpedo loadout.

AI submarines won't be a problem, either. They just require editing .sns and .eqp files, to implement new sensors and weapon mounts. Then they would have to be cloned, to have them operating at different depths.

I think early cold war equipment would be appropriate.

Right now i'm focusing on functionality, and later, compatibility. I'm using 1.4 now (will upgrade to 1.5 someday)..so i would like to make this compatible for both 1.4 and 1.5.

After the mod is completed, and new subs and ships (and maybe planes) are included, it will be possible to make a campaign.
Ask for permission first, but there is a Ohio SSBN and a Los Angeles class sub for download
ERPP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 02:37 PM   #647
Zel
Sailor man

Downloads: 8

During testing, i encountered a strange bug.

I have a scenario with 2 x fletcher VS 2 x mutsuki (all AI, set to elite). The ships are not in formation. Their starting positions and courses resemble an X.

In this scenario, one of the Fletchers does not detect the enemy at all. He doesn't change course or speed, or fire his weapons (even when fired upon). The other Fletcher works fine, he even fires torpedoes in the right direction. Interestingly enough, if i remove the second Fletcher, the first one will work properly!

Anyone have an idea what's going on?
Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10, 07:14 PM   #648
ERPP8
Commodore

Anything?
Old 05-23-10, 02:42 AM   #649
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

did everyone move up to SH5 or what ?????

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 07:11 AM   #650
Zel
Sailor man

Unfortunately i'm currently busy in RL, but good news is that Werewolf is picking up where i left off. Many issues remain, which need to be fixed before a campaign is made.

And no, we're not moving to sh5!
Old 05-23-10, 07:25 AM   #651
ERPP8
Commodore

It's sad I'm still following this thread and I don't even play SHIV anymore.
I play SHV, but my campaign is stuck because I can't resupply.
Maybe if this mod is good enough I'll reinstall it.
Old 05-27-10, 11:38 AM   #652
Angeldust
Swabbie

Downloads: 22

ahoy mateys! long time no see, but i have a question....

after messing around with jsgme and the mods i've downloaded i can't get this one to work.

could anybody do a mod for me consisting of some existing ones?

i want the
-Typhoon
-Ohio
-Los Angeles Class
and the
-ADCAP Torps

available in Campaign but i can't friggin' get this to wrk!

please help me!
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 02:44 PM   #653
ERPP8
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
ahoy mateys! long time no see, but i have a question....

after messing around with jsgme and the mods i've downloaded i can't get this one to work.

could anybody do a mod for me consisting of some existing ones?

i want the
-Typhoon
-Ohio
-Los Angeles Class
and the
-ADCAP Torps

available in Campaign but i can't friggin' get this to wrk!

please help me!
That's about all they're available in
Old 05-27-10, 05:35 PM   #654
Angeldust
Swabbie

where are they available in?

i don't mean the boats for themselves but all together available in campaign.
but when i try to mess around with the flotilla datas, i get either a ctd or just one of them all in campaign
Old 05-27-10, 05:54 PM   #655
ERPP8
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeldust View Post
where are they available in?

i don't mean the boats for themselves but all together available in campaign.
but when i try to mess around with the flotilla datas, i get either a ctd or just one of them all in campaign
I never had trouble using them.

Ask ETR3(SS) cause he makes 3 of the good ones
(typhoon isn't great, it's kinda underdone)
Old 05-28-10, 04:26 AM   #656
Hotmanandre
Sparky

Downloads: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Kaleun View Post
Has anybody the download link for this german klasse 206 sub?
In the russian thread is the link down.

This boat is still necessary to you? Russian link Up
Glance on mine: filefront.com

Last edited by Hotmanandre; 02-05-11 at 06:52 AM.
Hotmanandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-10, 06:31 AM   #657
Angeldust
Swabbie

i know i know.

i also never got into problems, until i tried to use all of them in the campaign.

btw. does anybody know if it is possible to mod active homing torpedoes?
Old 05-28-10, 06:55 AM   #658
Zel
Sailor man

I don't think it's possible to have active torpedoes, because you can't attach a sensor to an object.

At least we have passive torpedoes!
Old 05-28-10, 07:06 AM   #659
Angeldust
Swabbie

yep, but they aren't very trustworthy i think.....

when i'm underwater and finding my target over sonar i need usually 3-4 tries to hit my target
Old 06-01-10, 02:54 AM   #660
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 69

@Angeldust - and all the others who are still interested in making a cold war mod possible for that matter (thanks for your ongoing interest):

So far it is not possible to change the dates - we are more or less stock with the period from 1939-1945 I´m afraid, I think. However! All of this is not essential, whether the calendar says 01-04-1944 or 10-06-1965 I do not really care about that right now, what matters is the world around you at this time! Your boat, your sensors and weapons, the enemy, his sensors and weapons, if all of this work like beyond WWII, that is modern weapons, modern sensors etc. then you have a cold war mod! And this is what we focus on right now, to make sub vs sub engagements available, to make weapons that are as close to modern ones as possible within the millions of limitations in this game. Zel has made increadible progress I think, due to him an AI submarine now actually fires torpedoes at you and detects you submerged. I´ve tested his stuff and it actually works, the only thing that slows down all of this is the limitations of the weapons, the acoustic torpedoes of SHIV will not go deep, that means that they hover around above you, they can track you, but cannot get to you, due to the focus on surface warfare only they are not able to go deeper than their launched depth. Work is being done to try to figure out this problem though. No, maybe active homing torpedoes will not be possible, but at least it might be possible to make a sim where you are finally in a 3D environment and never safe not even under the surface like in more modern submarine warfare.

Regarding implementing cold war subs in campaigns - this is the easy part, simply substitute a type IXD2 for example with your cold war sub in the careerstart and flotilla upc. The campaign setup is almost there, if the cold war had gone hot the Russians would have been fighting much the same fight as the Germans trying to choke Nato´s supply lines, they would have followed much the same assymetric warfare strategy at sea so the bases only need to be moved around, the ships have to be modernized, the convoying and setup in itself is almost there already, and this most of you can do already with the mission editor and notepad. And one good thing about this game is the possibility of combined forces with the ability to control air units and other naval units.

I think a lot of things are still possible to do, only we need more interest in this and more people involved. I for my part haven´t even played a WWII campaign ever since I got the game, I´ve been determined at making it a cold war sim from the beginning and the gaming that I have done has been with cold war subs. I for my part am sick and tired of being stock in WWII or left with the alternative of the other, what I would call, Tom Clancy simulators out there like DW. Silent Hunter has so much potential and it would be perfect if only some very annoying obstacles were removed.
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote