SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-20, 10:36 AM   #631
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Come on man ... two (2) dead in the USA and 80 cases reported vs 16,000 dead from influence A,B and C plus the 26 million reported cases of flu.

The normal flu has treatments, but here's the rub the more deadly type of flu
Covid-19 has no know cure for it yet and the symptoms are exactly the same with
the Covid-19 being even more highly contagious from people that don't even know that they have it.

I hope we laugh about this someday, but not right now
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 10:41 AM   #632
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Christian Droste is a German international top virologist, one of the discoverers of SARS and he helped to bring out the first test for it. His speciality are Corona virusses. He gets currently plenty of media time over here, due to his reputation.

He says the lethality numbers are blown up, due to commercial interest in fueling the sensationalism, due to bad methodology, and due to hysteria in social media. But if he checks the numbers he gets from all over the world and corrects them for these effects, he has a lethality of not 2-3%, but 0.7% or less, he says. Bad methodology and dubious sources for numbers also are the reason, he said, that there are reports that people have multiple infections, and other tales like that.

He said that around 70% (two thirds) of the population must have gotten the infection and developed immunization as a consequence, before the spreading of the pandemic would stop. The reason is simple maths, based on the assumption (founded on other pandemics) that every infected person will infect three other persons per week. If two in three people however can no longer be infected, because they are immune, the further spreading will slow down, and come to a stop some time later.

He also pointed out that most people seem to form only mild symptoms - if they are aware of any illness at all.

He closed a press confernce today by saying that the worries are not so much for the individual, because it seems to be much hype and in fact low substantial reasons to worry over the individual case, but the social structure and the economy of Western societies that are under enormous stress and may suffer blowbacks that could trigger consequences that dramatically backfire against said communal integrity and economic functionality.

However, his relaxed views are not unisono agreed. The head of the Medical Institute for Microbiology at the university in Halle-Wittenberg, Alexander Kekulé, demands 14 days of Corona holidays , where all mass events are banned and schools and kindergardens, swimming halls, public offices etc are shut down. In some districts in Germany, this already is being done. Even regional courts are shut down. Kekulé wanst to encourage people to stay alone for the most (means: avoid social contacts) , avoiding contacts to others where possible, and travelling should be limited to just what cannot be avoided at all.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-02-20 at 10:51 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 10:50 AM   #633
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
No, the sell off is over. How do I know? Well, I'm watching Olin dropping and when it got to $15.05 I put in a limit order at $14.85.

Naturally the market reversed direction and now Olin closed at $16.19.

So see? If the market continues its slump Monday I'll get what I want, cheap Olin stock. And the universe will not allow that.

!
See? Neal's Fortune Paradigm in full effect.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 11:07 AM   #634
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Old 03-02-20, 11:34 AM   #635
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
See? Neal's Fortune Paradigm in full effect.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/01/i...rus/index.html
Old 03-02-20, 12:12 PM   #636
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

From James Robb, MD UC San Diego.

Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 12:38 PM   #637
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A few days ago I read a notice from a worker from WHO who said the most dangerous is not the virus itself but rumour and false information.

And he is so right.
Not more than a few second ago some wrote he didn't trust our authorities and some had posted some alt-version story.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 12:58 PM   #638
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

A schoolkid in Finland tested positive and has had 130 immediate contacts with other people. Four classes and a junior football team are all in quarantine for two weeks.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 01:05 PM   #639
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A Danish news paper had a headline where it said

Dog infected with Corona virus.
Clicked on the picture so I could get to the article itself...then it was something else.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 01:23 PM   #640
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Clicked on the picture so I could get to the article itself...then it was something else.

Markus
Usually referred to as Clickbait.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 02:33 PM   #641
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Apparently the U.K. is coming out with a national plan tomorrow. Cant wait to hear this one.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-20, 02:52 PM   #642
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The world is in "uncharted territory" on the coronavirus outbreak, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

Its chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said it had never seen a "respiratory pathogen capable of community transmission which... can also be contained with the right measures".

Deaths globally have passed 3,000. Most are in China but there are far more new infections outside China than inside.

However, Dr Tedros insisted: "We can still push this virus back".

He said the development of the Covid-19 disease globally was not a "one-way street" and could be combated if countries acted quickly and effectively - starting with containment measures.

"There is no choice but to act now," he said.

One of the countries worst affected outside China - Italy - on Monday saw a jump in its death toll from 34 to 52.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51712437

Old 03-02-20, 03:02 PM   #643
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Apparently the U.K. is coming out with a national plan tomorrow. Cant wait to hear this one.

Much of it is probably already out there in the public domain.

Quote:
How is the UK planning for an outbreak?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51632801

Old 03-02-20, 03:07 PM   #644
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

Markus
Old 03-02-20, 03:58 PM   #645
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

BTW Rockstar, instead of worrying about what they are planning to do in the UK, why don't you explain the benefits from your fearless leaders earlier decision, to cut a chunk of funding from the CDC? Man, he looks so good now,LOL He's a complete idiot when it comes to fighting this new virus. Put's the man of the hour Pence in charge, what a load of bull that is. BTW, tell that lard butt in the WH that there are 6 dead in Washington state now!! But like that POS said before, its just not that bad and will pass by quickly!! He's more worried about the stock market! He can stick his MAGA cap where it fits best, up his big fat arse!!

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan