SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-11, 05:04 AM   #6046
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by harag View Post
TDW

Patch 5 looks good.

For the ship sited messages under 8000m, does this take weather into consideration, also the chance of spotting - is that the same if the shop is 8000m or 1000m or does the change increase the nearer the ship is.

Other day I was spotted at what I thought was a very long way away, I couldn't even see the shop or it's smoke, so think 8000 might be a bit too far as a default, hence the questions above. if it was 8000 and 1% chance, then I guess I was just unlucky. Was it possible to spot subs periscope 8000m away? especially when I couldn't see the ship.

Cheers
Hmm, Patch 5. Where can I find that one?

//
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:11 AM   #6047
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Hmm, Patch 5. Where can I find that one?
I think it's not ready yet, you have to wait a bit longer! But yes, it looks good!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:25 AM   #6048
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rongel View Post
I think it's not ready yet, you have to wait a bit longer! But yes, it looks good!

//Thanks
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 08:23 AM   #6049
Poacher886
Chief

Downloads: 36

There seems to be an issue with the TDC dials. The range to target dial does not have a "send to TDC button", but regardless of this when you set the range, and then send data from either the AOB or Speed dial, it automatically re-sets the range to target dial to 3000m, thus denying you of setting a range difference!

Also, im not sure what the "Bearing dial" is next to the AOB dial, but it does not seem to be linked to scope movement...further to that, when you move the bearing dial hand it takes the AOB hand with it, yet moving the AOB hand, does not carry the bearing dail hand with it??
Poacher886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 09:35 AM   #6050
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
TDW

Patch 5 looks good.

For the ship sited messages under 8000m, does this take weather into consideration, also the chance of spotting - is that the same if the shop is 8000m or 1000m or does the change increase the nearer the ship is.

Other day I was spotted at what I thought was a very long way away, I couldn't even see the shop or it's smoke, so think 8000 might be a bit too far as a default, hence the questions above. if it was 8000 and 1% chance, then I guess I was just unlucky. Was it possible to spot subs periscope 8000m away? especially when I couldn't see the ship.

Cheers
The current range to the ship (from your sub) is calculated and that is divided by the range of possibility that the ship can send a sub sighted message (default value of 8000). The result of that is subtracted from 1.
If:
- you are sufaced then your detect factor is 900 (changing to 700 in patch 5)
- you are submerged then your detect factor is 600 (changing to 400 in patch 5)

The detect factor is multiplied by the previous result thus giving the actual detection factor. A random number is generated between 0 and 1000 and if the random number generated is less than your detection factor then you are detected. If you are not detected and are still within the range of possible detection then a random number between 60 and 120 is generated. That random number is the time to wait before the ship can try and detect you again.

If you are submerged and your periscopes are not breaking the surface then the ship is given no chance to detect you and send a radio message about it.

So yes range does play a part in the detection.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:09 AM   #6051
harag
A-ganger

Downloads: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The current range to the ship (from your sub) is calculated and that is divided by the range of possibility that the ship can send a sub sighted message (default value of 8000). The result of that is subtracted from 1.
If:
- you are sufaced then your detect factor is 900 (changing to 700 in patch 5)
- you are submerged then your detect factor is 600 (changing to 400 in patch 5)

The detect factor is multiplied by the previous result thus giving the actual detection factor. A random number is generated between 0 and 1000 and if the random number generated is less than your detection factor then you are detected. If you are not detected and are still within the range of possible detection then a random number between 60 and 120 is generated. That random number is the time to wait before the ship can try and detect you again.

If you are submerged and your periscopes are not breaking the surface then the ship is given no chance to detect you and send a radio message about it.

So yes range does play a part in the detection.
Thanks for explaining that, appreciated. I do however have a couple more questions about it now.

1. Does weather take a factor in the calculation?
2. What about the time of day, is this in the calculation as well?
3. When is the first detection calculated? ie as soon as you enter 8000m range?
4. 60 to 120 - I'm guessing this is in minutes.
5. is 8000m too far as a default? especially if weather isn't used in the calculation. As I said I couldn't even see the ship so not sure how he could spot me.

EDIT: TDW - Possible BUG: I've just loaded my game up again, using the external camera, I followed the hydrophone line and found the ship - it was 25.8 KM away... not even close to 8000m. Looked at the radio message but it I now don't have any (guess they are not saved).

If it wasn't this ship at 25km away that spotted me, then I'll really confused as what ship spotted my scope as no others are around. If it happens again, I'll report it.

Has anyone else had any problems with radio messages spotting scopes?

Last edited by harag; 01-17-11 at 10:26 AM.
harag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 10:15 AM   #6052
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that, appreciated. I do however have a couple more questions about it now.

1. Does weather take a factor in the calculation?
2. When is the first detection calculated? ie as soon as you enter 8000m range?
3. 60 to 120 - I'm guessing this is in minutes.
4. is 8000m too far as a default? especially if weather isn't used in the calculation. As I said I couldn't even see the ship so not sure how he could spot me.
Unfortunately I can't get weather status from the game so weather isn't a factor. The detection is calculated as soon as you enter the default range if you are surfaced or you have a scope up. If you are submerged with scopes down then detection doesn't start until a scope breaks the surface.
60 to 120 is in seconds.
8000 could be too far a default but since range between you and ship is a factor it should be ok.
If range to ship is 5000m then:

5000 / 8000 = 0.625
1 - 0.625 = 0.375
let's say your surfaced then the detect factor is 700. 700 * 0.375 = 262.5
263 / 1000 = 0.263 or the ship has a 26.3% chance of detecting you at 5000m
Old 01-17-11, 10:46 AM   #6053
harag
A-ganger

thanks for the calculation explaination. appreciated.

It looks like I edited my post above after you replied (not refreshed my browser). can you please take a quick look at the above post.

ie.. Does TIME of day count in calcualtion? night/day. also possible bug.

cheers
Old 01-17-11, 01:07 PM   #6054
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
EDIT: TDW - Possible BUG: I've just loaded my game up again, using the external camera, I followed the hydrophone line and found the ship - it was 25.8 KM away... not even close to 8000m. Looked at the radio message but it I now don't have any (guess they are not saved).

If it wasn't this ship at 25km away that spotted me, then I'll really confused as what ship spotted my scope as no others are around. If it happens again, I'll report it.

Has anyone else had any problems with radio messages spotting scopes?
This is not a bug but rather a feature. In order to make it appear that there is more than just you out patrolling and to create more immersion for the game as I scan through all the contacts available in the game I 'roll the dice' to see if they spotted a sub/periscope or not. If they did then a radio message is generated from the ship that 'spotted' it. In order for one of these contacts to generate that message they have to be > 20km away from your sub. This gives the illusion that other ships are searching for subs other than yours
The radio message is generic so it can account for all subs, even yours. If you look at the lat and long they report you can get an idea if they are talking about your sub or another one.

Time of day is not figured into the calculations for sub sighted. I might add that though before I release the next patch.
Old 01-17-11, 01:53 PM   #6055
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default I've wondered too about those radio messages.

Quote:
This gives the illusion that other ships are searching for subs other than yours
The radio message is generic so it can account for all subs, even yours. If you look at the lat and long they report you can get an idea if they are talking about your sub or another one.

Time of day is not figured into the calculations for sub sighted. I might add that though before I release the next patch.
If I read this correctly, the radio messages are not fiction, as I supposed? There are genuine ships at those positions? There are genuine periscopes?
Old 01-17-11, 01:57 PM   #6056
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
If I read this correctly, the radio messages are not fiction, as I supposed? There are genuine ships at those positions? There are genuine periscopes?
the radio messages from the ship is not fiction as the ship does exist. Now whether the sub it sighted exists or not...more than likely not. It's just a random chance that if it just so happens to pass the chance it spawns this message. This is more for illusion of immersion I can't tell if a contact is a ship, a sub, a plane, I can't tell much about them so I have to do the best with what I've got to use.
Old 01-17-11, 04:18 PM   #6057
harag
A-ganger

Quote:
This is not a bug but rather a feature. In order to make it appear that there is more than just you out patrolling and to create more immersion for the game as I scan through all the contacts available in the game I 'roll the dice' to see if they spotted a sub/periscope or not. If they did then a radio message is generated from the ship that 'spotted' it. In order for one of these contacts to generate that message they have to be > 20km away from your sub. This gives the illusion that other ships are searching for subs other than yours

Hi

thanks for clearing that up, it was the first time I saw one so assumed it was me they spotted, but what made it worse was two planes flew over me not long after. Since then I have started the game again and just done the tutorial mission. coming into kiel was a pain as I got so many "sub sighted" messages from my own guys... is there a way to stop this?

Glad to see that your thinking of including time of day into the calculation, would be more realistic.

I'll take note of the locations of the reports from now on
Old 01-17-11, 04:20 PM   #6058
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
coming into kiel was a pain as I got so many "sub sighted" messages from my own guys... is there a way to stop this?
patch 5 will give you options for this and other things related to radio messages.
Old 01-18-11, 07:45 AM   #6059
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

Quote:
patch 5 will give you options for this and other things related to radio messages.
does it also include a customisable sound trigger for incomming radio messages ?

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 12:24 PM   #6060
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Is possible to put into sghip's journals logs about time, course and speed?
It can help to use Real Nav...

For example:
1) start mission

2) 1st course change:
15.23, after 17 km course is changed to 090

3) 2nd course change:
18.36, after 103 km course is changed to 080

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui