SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-05-10, 01:07 PM   #1
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

As far as I know the U-Boat add on patches the game to 1.5, regardless of the version you had before.
Old 08-05-10, 01:35 PM   #2
Cpt.Kool
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Then for the moment I' clueless. Maybe I'll try a complete new install this weekend. (you never know, you maybe have to do it twice)
Cpt.Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 09:24 PM   #3
clara2g
Swabbie

Downloads: 56

I feel a bit stupid for ask this but... where is that cute 3D TDC? I just don't find it It has a hotkey or something like that?

Aaaw...
clara2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-10, 09:33 PM   #4
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default clara

It is a mod. You can download it off the first post in this thread.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 01:18 AM   #5
clara2g
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
It is a mod. You can download it off the first post in this thread.
I know, I already installed it, but I don't find the TDC in the sub
Old 08-17-10, 02:22 AM   #6
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

It's in the conning tower.
Try F9, that works for me.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-10, 02:30 AM   #7
clara2g
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergei View Post
It's in the conning tower.
Try F9, that works for me.
Ow, F9 it's the radar for me, but I found the TDC in the conning tower. lol thanks, time to get facial surgery
Old 06-07-11, 07:29 AM   #8
luismmm
Watch

Downloads: 766
Default How to fine tune the values for the Actual Radar Bearing?

I have a problem using the metod to make Very Fine Adjustments (moving vertical) to fine tune the actual radar bearing.

The vertical movement until the target pip fade in and fade out give me a variation af arround 20 degrees in the actual radar bearing. If I make vertical adjustements wen the target pip is at is maximum, I also get a variation of 6 degrees in the actual radar bearing, and that is not good to define the target couse!

So, can someone explain me the best way to get the most accurate value for actual radar bearing, using the vertical movement to get the fine adjustment?

(dont say " the best is wen the pip is at is maximum" that dont work! as it maximum I get 6 degrees variation!)

It would be realy good if whe have a switch to send range and bearing to tdc, the switch would be used after get accurate range and bearing, is that hard to mod or you can do that easy Nisgeis? It would be a must in your mod!

This one is the damned that is killing me fine tune and... +- 6 degrees (deviation error) in the Actual Radar Bearing value ....

luismmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 01:10 PM   #9
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismmm View Post
This one is the damned that is killing me fine tune and... +- 6 degrees (deviation error) in the Actual Radar Bearing value ....
Sweep over the target and then step backwards (counter clockwise) as soon as the pip appears that's the bearing.
Old 07-01-11, 01:28 PM   #10
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Sweep over the target and then step backwards (counter clockwise) as soon as the pip appears that's the bearing.
I still find that this method gives me an incorrect bearing.

I step ahead until the contact disappears. I then step backward until the target reappears (three steps back), then forward two steps. That seems to get me pretty close to where it needs to be, or at least close enough for my plots to make sense.

It could be something wrong on my end, but as long as it is consistent, I can live with it. Once I can sight the target through the scope, I ignore the radar bearings anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
Optical bearing and radar range
The best combination will never change
Optical bearing and radar range
Then your plot shall never be strange.
Old 07-01-11, 02:21 PM   #11
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

No, the pickup bearing range is just all weird - it's a game sensor thing - the sensor in question points at the bearing and the 'arc' of the sensor is added on to it, so if the radar is pointed at 000, and has an arc of 010 degrees, it will pick up anything between 000 and 010, even though it *SHOULD* pick up anything between 355 and 005. It's yet another bizarre game bug.

Added to that there's the 'stickiness' of the sensors - as you say razark, you can sweep back and then two steps forward - this is different at each 'edge' of the beam...

The radar (in this mod) is calibrated to be accurate when you step backwards... stepping forwards again until you lose the signal will put you off by about 2/3rds of a degree.

Also, you have to bear in mind that the radar targets are infinitely thin. If there is a warship parked 1,000 yards off your bow, with a large angular length, this is completely ignored by the radar system. It's only the centre (or wherever it is) part that registers as a 'target'.

You can target accurately in fog with radar bearings, but it takes longer and is much more work to get an accurate problem to shoot at.
Old 02-13-16, 09:36 AM   #12
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

for those who might not be aware of it, I wanted to bump what is IMHO the best mod ever made for this game.

In my current TMO campaign, jan. 44, tracking a single merchant at night, using radar alone and tracking plots on the Nav map, I have worked out target course and speed and confirmed that data in the TDC without even having to ID the target or use the stadimeter.

now comes the fun part.
Old 02-13-16, 12:03 PM   #13
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
now comes the fun part.
Checking the log after you sank it to find out it was a Victory Ship?

This really is one of those mods that fundamentally changes how you play the game. If you haven't tried it, go for it.
Old 02-13-16, 02:54 PM   #14
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

Man, I wish there was an OTC version. The TDC combined with the fixed cameras and omnimeter would really be great for no map contacts play.
Old 02-14-16, 07:56 AM   #15
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Turned out to be the "Akita Maru", 4,000 tons, on the Japan-Truk route. Sank it with 3 electric torps, bit of an overkill, but this is 1944. So nice not to have to worry about duds anymore.

Lucked out again, received a radio message of convoy headed my way, plotted an intercept course and now 13 hours later am tracking it on radar (see screenshot).

4 pips at 220 degrees, 25,000 yds.

Instructions on using the radar can be a bit confusing. I have worked out the following procedure:

1. on the PPI screen, use "focus" and "prec" mode to highlight the target, in this case the middle ship in the convoy;

2. switch to the A-screen, rotate the range wheel out to the estimated range until you see the pips, you now have the exact range in yds/nm on the left and the exact bearing on top.

..the only question now is do I risk a daylight periscope attack or wait until night and attack on the surface. choices, choices.

edit: decided to wait for a night attack, now positioned well ahead of the convoy, out of sight, tracking on radar. I am matching course/speed to get that out of the way.

You can use the A-scope to refine the solution. Match estimated course/speed with the target, (in my case a specific ship in the middle of the convoy), then watch if the range closes or opens up, and make the necessary adjustments. As others have pointed out, this mod is a mini-game in itself.

convoy course/speed: SSE 138 degrees, 11 knots.

to be continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh4 radar plot.jpg (80.2 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 02-14-16 at 09:19 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote