SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-24-08, 08:21 AM   #46
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by piri_reis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mengle
I add those ships manually , and some of them cause CTD in Museum, i deleted the troublemakers, but in campaign when you come close to action or harbor you have still a CTD, I think some SH IV ships for SHIII just doesn't work on some computers Sad, because i like to have them in my game
Regarding imported SH4 ships, I got them from here: http://hosted.filefront.com/Maik01/2118683/
My PC is Core2duo 3Ghz, 2GB Ram, 8800GT
I tested them docked at port, sailing in convoy, museum, even torpedoed some, here's my working list so far:

Just a few neccessary tweaks (eg: for the ones that have aircraft, airgroup must be changed to FBZero; NCL_Kuma engine power increased, etc.) They work perfectly on my install, but just like the CommunityUnits, this depends on install/pc specs perhaps :hmm:

My PC is 7 years old: Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.90 GHz, 1GB Ram , 7800 GS and 1024 virtual memory, That means i buy another next year
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:32 AM   #47
asanovic7
Captain

Downloads: 70
Default ??

No matter if I embarass myself I have to ask..

Isn't cfg file entries necessary only for single player missions?

p.s. piri reis, again you.. Damn semih, or what his name is..
asanovic7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:45 AM   #48
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

The cfg file inside /data/sea/shipname have very important information, is used by the game engine to setup the game no matter career/single player. Eg. classname, unittype, 2DCompartments(?)
The one in /roster/country tells sh3 that the country has one of those ship types, and lists real ship names and their appearance dates and such.

ps: Yes it was Semih (the wizard I call him) And he actually plays for our biggest rival here. I root for Galatasaray, he plays for Fenerbahce, who beat us again last week.

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 11:55 AM   #49
asanovic7
Captain

Default argh

aaa..

I understood you speak about englishnames.cfg..

p.s. well, go on fener!! Vedran Runje! Khazim Khazim, open up sezame!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Old 11-24-08, 12:03 PM   #50
piri_reis
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanovic7
aaa..I understood you speak about englishnames.cfg..
Oh yes that too I'm pretty sure every ship you have in your install must be listed in the englishnames.cfg. OR the game will CTD. The entry will be used to display the ship type/name in bunch of places, when you identify it for example..

ps; Check out the score of Porto-fener this week, I reckon it will be a disaster for them and a funny game to watch for me

Lt.z.S. Barbaros Hayreddin, U-35, 2nd Flot/Kiel, Type VIIB
Oct.29.1939, 2nd Patrol Eastern English Waters
Running SH5/TWOS
piri_reis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-08, 12:18 PM   #51
asanovic7
Captain

Default argh

You are just jealous..

Old 11-24-08, 07:38 PM   #52
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

For people getting CTD's with modded merchant ships, here is one possible solution.

If the CTD occurs when the merchantman suffers damage then the ship probably has the infamous Mast Collapse Bug. This occurs in a small percentage of vessels cloned using Pack3d (currently I test all my ships for it before releasing them). There is a solution:

1) Open data\zones.cfg with MSWord, Notepad, or a similar program.

2) Search for the "mast" entry. It should look something like this:

[Mast]
Multiplier=1.000000
Flotability=0.000000
HitPoints=8
Destructible=Yes
Effect1=#Small_splinter_explosion_no_halo, 100
Armor Level=-1
Critic Flotation=0.300000
Critical=No
FloodingTime=59.999996
CargoType=None

3) Change it to:

[Mast]
Multiplier=1.000000
Flotability=0.000000
HitPoints=8
Destructible=No
Effect1=#Small_splinter_explosion_no_halo, 100
Armor Level=-1
Critic Flotation=0.300000
Critical=No
FloodingTime=59.999996
CargoType=None

The downside is that all masts ingame will now be indestructible. However, you will never get the crash bug. Note that there are probably additional reasons for crashes, so this may not resolve all issues. And remember to back up your files.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 03:56 AM   #53
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yes it's easy to tell where the problem is when u hit a ship with a torp and then get a CTD. But some ppl are getting CTD's almost after load up of the game. That is weird.
I was experiencing the same problems with POTD ships mod, which was used by steel sharks online campaign community with stock SH3. I did on purpose my own single mission to test it, had put various ships in it, validated successfuly and saved. After load up it did not crashed directly, but some time later, as if some bugged ship came into sight and then CTD occured. And this happened all the time when I tried again and again at almost the same time..

So for me this mod is still like "use it for your own risk if you don't care saving your nerves on CTDs.."

If IABL or the person who intergrates these ships into campain would guarantee it is safe to use I would deffinettly use it. But for now I don't want to get frustrated in the middle of perfect patrol because of CTD's risk..
Old 11-26-08, 08:29 AM   #54
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

I tested the community ships. I have them installed for ages and I don't have any CTD.

I built up a single mission with all the ships in the game, including the community ships (yeah, 200 ships convoy), and I sailed with them for hours, no bug. Then I took my 10 km distance, fired a nuclear torpedo which vanished all 200 ships (and some out of the water). All sank, Titanic was the last to sink, pretty flotable. Life boats everywhere, debris everywhere, not a single CTD in 10 times running this mission and nuking them.

My system:

C2D 4700
4gb DDR2 800
GF 9600GT 512
500GB sata2
Asus MB
Vista Ultimate 64 bits.

Old 11-26-08, 08:33 AM   #55
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

By the way, I'm using my NIDS mod, which changes the BASIC.CFG and ZONES.CFG, so I don't know if this has something to do with the game being stable with the community ships mod.
Old 11-26-08, 09:22 AM   #56
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
I tested the community ships. I have them installed for ages and I don't have any CTD.

I built up a single mission with all the ships in the game, including the community ships (yeah, 200 ships convoy), and I sailed with them for hours, no bug. Then I took my 10 km distance, fired a nuclear torpedo which vanished all 200 ships (and some out of the water). All sank, Titanic was the last to sink, pretty flotable. Life boats everywhere, debris everywhere, not a single CTD in 10 times running this mission and nuking them.

My system:

C2D 4700
4gb DDR2 800
GF 9600GT 512
500GB sata2
Asus MB
Vista Ultimate 64 bits.

200 ships
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 10:00 AM   #57
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59

I have been running the AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugfix & Community units with no CTD's. Because I always merge my conflicting mods, any errors are found and corrected. These errors do not neccessarily cause problems but its best to have it right. IIRC these are the errors to date:-

The AA ships - I've already mentioned AAAG1=Flak Ship 01 & AAAB1=British AA Ship 01 missing from the EnglishNames.cfg when the 2 mods above are installed.

Community units - Sea/F02B_ ...... the file F03B__ge.log needs deleting.

Community units - Sea/NF_boat_Y/NF_boat_Y_sil.tga ..... missing

These are a few I can remember.

Last edited by badwolf; 11-26-08 at 10:19 AM.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 02:02 PM   #58
nikbear
Sea Lord

Downloads: 86

Thats the kind of info we need BadWolf,so if its a matter of adding stuff or deleting from the sea folder then thats easily done,if its more serious then that,then it takes some of the more intelligent members of the community to take a look at the conflicts and perhaps iron them out,no one wants to lose the CS mod,they look ace,but I have had to stop using the AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugfix just to get the game anyway stable for some reason,and it irks the hell out of me,just wish I could find out how to get them to run together on my system in harmony like the majority of others seem to:hmm:but a small but sizeable number are having problems,time for better minds than mine to have a look hopefully
Old 11-26-08, 03:08 PM   #59
badwolf
XO

Downloads: 59

Having had no ctd's with the mods has it's problems, I can't find why others do. I would be happy to upload AOTD-AA-Ship-Schleuse-Bugfix & Community units (merged) but it needs testing with someone who is having problems and giving feedback.

I did 14 patrols saving 3 - 5 times per patrol and not 1 ctd.

Last edited by badwolf; 11-26-08 at 03:18 PM.
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 08:26 PM   #60
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The units in the Community Mod share SO MANY ID's
it's a 2 day job to sort them.

Now, many people have no problems with that on thier
system.

But it's been proven over and over.
Duplicate ID's are a fantastic way to introduce