SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-09, 09:15 AM   #46
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

I've just read the Gamespot Preview. The Tactical Map is a great addition and will prove very usefull both for new players as well as old. We will have a better understanding about how the game works and is supposed to be played. BUUUUUT....

I hope the detections circles are a bit more dynamic. I hope it's not like detection for mobs in World of Warcraft . And of course, I hope that the devs have seen posts regarding the doble split prisms and the AOB finder wheels that the germans had. After 1 campaign with the tactical map, I'd rather not use it anymore. It's poprpoise on hard difficulty should only be to mimic the spatial awareness of the captain.

Lets say you go to the bridge and there's a german patrol craft at your 220. You look at it and it updates to 220 on the tactical map. SInce it's a friendly, as soon as it gets within a certain range (dynamic) it should change color to indicate nationality. As you continue to look at it, it updates continually. But if you look away from it, it doesn't update anymore. After a while you bring it in your FOV agian and it updates (for example to 240). Ranges should be shown not by line lengths, as all contacts should appear on the outside of the FOV dial, but by color intensity, or icon size. AOB/Course should only be visible as you near it (again, dynamic), or if you input it youself, but only as 45 degrees icon arrays.

As soon as you dive, all hydrophone contacts would mimic this exact behavior, as any good sonar officer could give you 45 degree AOB's as he would be capable of distinguishing between port and starboard, closing or moving away contacts. Unlike visual contacts, it wouldn't be update by moving your FOV or by asking aditional reports from watch crew, but automatically once every X seconds. Raising you scope, would not transform them into visual contacts, but would update them to your decisions.

Each item should be left clicked or right clicked to show a small menu with stuff like "enemy/neutral/friendly", "merchant/warship", "asdic/passive", "engage with deck gun", "follow on sonar", "ping for distance", "make full report", "report to BdU", "estimate visual range", "identify target" and so on.

They have already indicated that a FOV dial will exist, I also hope that it will replace the cursed periscope bearings on the lens. I also hope they'll realise the need to make it's rotation absolute (fov wedge moves over static sub) or relative (sub moves under static fov wedge). WIth all the contacts there, it will greatly add to spatial awareness. You'd "feel" the DDs coming from your left, while you sit on the loo.

How does that sound?
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 11:14 AM   #47
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Google translation of a german SH5 GC presentation review

LINK
Old 08-25-09, 06:06 PM   #48
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

(Woops posted this after Seeadler snuck in the german one. The following refers to the anchor post)

There was some elusion to a sort of role playing thing in the guise of moral. Thats interesting.

The talk about plotting on the stratigic map intersecting lines and numbers seemed a litte confusing to me. Id have to see it in action to understand it after these years of doing it on paper on in my head.

I think the best thing I saw was image 4 of 6... the smoke... the sky...

Some of the other screenshots show the greater draw distance. Check out the trees on the Island

The last screenshot though Box art?

(From Seeadlers link)

Quote:
Both dynamic campaign, simulation features, multiplayer mode, and the missions were hardly dealt with in terms of bugs and error-free the last Silent Hunter games were poor role model.
Good news
Old 08-25-09, 06:17 PM   #49
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
as any good sonar officer could give you 45 degree AOB's as he would be capable of distinguishing between port and starboard, closing or moving away contacts.
Even in that era? I can understand closing or moving away but AOB?
Old 08-25-09, 11:20 PM   #50
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Well, it's not that hard mate.
"Closing, dead on" = AOB 0
"Closing, Starboard(right) Side to us" = AOB 45 starboard
"Constant distance, Starboard side" = AOB 90 starboard
"Moving away, Starboard Side" = AOB 135 starboard
"Moving away, stern to us" = 180 AOB.

He wouldn't know exactly the angles, of course, but it's enough info to rotate some ship icons on the tactical map without making the game too easy.
Old 08-26-09, 01:36 PM   #51
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Nono, He gives me the bearing anyway (hopefully with a bit of "human" error). A complete report would be something like:
"Sound contact at 225, merchant closing, starboard side to us". Or something like that. I've read the US sonar manual, there was a line just like this. Instead of "side" they said "left movement" or "right movement".
Agree with you on the detection circles. But if they manage to do it dinamically and don't enforce it too much, it would be a nice touch for newbies.
Old 08-30-09, 05:16 PM   #52
Payoff
Captain

Downloads: 1

A few more tidbits from Ausgamers.

"The entire sub, inside and out, has been modeled in intricate detail to provide the most realistic experience possible - the demonstration we saw showed things like Enigma machines lying around in your radio room."

Hopefully not just a paperweight as in SHIII.

"A new graphical engine powers Silent Hunter 5, boasting a three times increase in view distance - leading to some spectacular panoramic views of ocean scenes with warships everywhere."

"As captain in FPS mode, you're able to communicate directly with your fellow sailors and issue particular orders, taking advantage of various skills. In the example we saw, you could talk to the engineer in the engine room and ask him to try to eke some more power out of the engines by overcharging them. Doing this has a penalty though - it drops their morale, which has various effects on the rest of the crew and thus the game in general, so you must use it wisely and sparingly."

"As you progress through the game, you'll earn promotion points, which can be spread amongst your crew to 'upgrade' them with various other abilities that can be called on in the thick of battle. This aims to provide a bit more variety in the gameplay by allowing you to focus on particular skills that suit your commanding style."

Full preview here http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2776914

Payoff
"Hit Shokaku class carrier with three out of six torpedos. Recieved 105 depth charges during three hour period. Heard four terrific explosions in the direction of target, two and one half hours after attack. Believe that baby sank!" Lieutenant Commander Herman Kossler USS Cavalla
Payoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 06:57 PM   #53
Andyman23
Bosun

Downloads: 67

how does getting more power out of your engine drop your crews morale? i know i've seen this question around here before, but seriously, i just dont get it

USS Pittsburgh SSN-720
Andyman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 07:15 PM   #54
Mittelwaechter
The Old Man

Downloads: 35

Insane speed maybe indicates an emergency situation - and the fear of damaged or broken diesel or e-propulsion may lower the crew morale.

10 happy wolves rear 90 blinded, ensnared sheep. 90 happy sheep banish the wolves.

Arrest the 1% - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ6hg1oNeGE
Mittelwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-09, 07:41 PM   #55
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

yes, what we would need here is a higher chance of an engine failiure, and this also includes a random generated failiure system in general, if you overstress a system, the chance of a failiure will rise and so on. Also weather, or how long your patrol is running allready and other things could alter this factor...

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 01:47 PM   #56
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

I would also like to see random deviation from the basic technical stats for each submarine.

One of the most frustrating things about simulators is that game devs are always 100% faithful to the "textbook" design values. As I'm sitting in the virtual nightclub (if there is one) I want to hear things like:

"Watch out for U-49. Her old captain was a speed demon, & her engines can only make 15-16 kts. If the brass offer you command, pass it up."

"U-127 has bad accomodation. Kills the crew's morale every time."

"U-99 has great engines - you can probably eke out an extra knot or two."

Also, over time craftsmanship in general shoud deteriorate. By 1945 sabotage, air raids, & loss of craftsmen should mean that parts are less sturdy & random failures are more likely to occur.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 01:49 PM   #57
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Good one IABL, I'd love to see that too
Old 09-19-09, 07:29 AM   #58
andycaccia
XO

Downloads: 261
Uploads: 2

Yeah...That's good, indeed. But only as an option for increased realism.
I remeber SH2...there was an option called "realistc reliability" or something like that. Actually, it made vital parts of your u-boat subject to random failures which needed to be repaired. Another nice feature was that you could overheat the engines in fuou pushed them for too long....with the ultimate result of breakin' them.

I do not like the morale malus associated with th engine boost...honestly i think it will be more realistic an increase in fuel consumption, heat generated and / or loss of reliability.
Old 09-19-09, 11:39 AM   #59
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

i dont get the morale thing either.

so everytime i make a course change order my crew is going to get weary?
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-09, 12:01 PM   #60
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
so everytime i make a course change order my crew is going to get weary?
Not the entire crew, but believe me, your navigator will hate you... The poor guy isn't just clicking on a map like you do
As long as the morale system is smartly hidden away, it will add a lot to immersion. In case you push them to the limit, they won't revolt but you won't feel very proud of yourself either.

Tags
dowlywashere