Closed Thread

Old 02-01-17, 03:19 PM   #5926
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
That pictiure was taken at the NATO Summit in Warsaw, Poland, July 9, 2016.

I'm expecting a win for Merkel. Whilst the right-wing are currently enjoying an upsurge in support especially in Europe, I don't consider any of them to be popular enough to gain power....at the present time.
Agreed, AfD are going to become something that Merkel is going to have to address though...and she clearly has no idea how she is going to do that, and since it's inevitable that there will be more terrorist attacks in Europe, every time that there is one it hands a major boost to the right-wing populist movements like AfD, the FN and Wilders. The latter two of which are in good positions for their respective nations elections...and that should concern people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Here is today's PMQ's score....

May 4 Corbyn 0

That's giving Corbyn a bit too much credit isn't it? He's probably in the minus at least.

So...well...that's it then, on we go. Nothing to be done now but grin and eat whatever we're given. I just hope that it doesn't affect me and my friends and family that much, but I guess that's out of my hands now.
Old 02-01-17, 04:47 PM   #5927
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

They broadcasted parts of the UK debate regarding Brexit.

Most are against Brexit but have to accept the referendum. So it seemed to me they voted pro May to punch that through, against own better knowledge. But maybe i'm wrong..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-01-17, 05:27 PM   #5928
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
They broadcasted parts of the UK debate regarding Brexit.

Most are against Brexit but have to accept the referendum. So it seemed to me they voted pro May to punch that through, against own better knowledge. But maybe i'm wrong..
It's a strange situation in the UK political spectrum because a good portion of the Conservative Party and nearly all of the Labour party are pro-EU, likewise the Lib Dems and the SNP. The primary Euro-sceptics were about a third to maybe a half of the Tories (that number varies depending on the news) and UKIP. The fact that the referendum went in favour of Brexit, no matter how slim the majority was, means that most MPs have to vote against their conscience in order to vote in a manner in which their constituents voted in the referendum. Our local MP was pro-EU, but she will have voted in line with the Tories because this area voted for Brexit and also because she is voting in line with the party leaders direction.
There's really only been one Tory MP who has remained pro-EU and that's Ken Clarke, but he's not the frontline figure he once was and he's basically shouting into the wilderness.
In short, it's a case of "Well...I don't want to do this...but the people voted in favour of it, and if I vote against it I will be absolutely pilloried in the press and public opinion...so..."

Really, it was no surprise to anyone, with a Conservative majority in the Commons it was inevitable that it would pass. The primary question was how many Labour MPs would rebel against Corbyns imposition of a 'three line whip' (which basically means that if you're a cabinet member and you vote against the position of the party leader then you will resign, either voluntarily or involuntarily) 13 front-benchers voted against him, and two had already resigned from their front-bench position already because they knew that they would vote against him. All in all, out of 229 Labour MPs, 47 rebelled. So it's not as big as some would have expected, but so many of his front-bench staff rebelling will be a concern and I wouldn't be surprised if another Labour reshuffle was on the cards.

The next stage is the House of Lords...this is where it could get a bit harder since the Conservative majority isn't so high and there's a number of Crossbench members who could make things harder for the government...however at the end of the day, it's not going to get blocked. So it's happening alright, by the end of March, Article 50 would very likely have been activated.
Old 02-01-17, 06:05 PM   #5929
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Impressive ratio by which they voted for Brexit, its roughly 5:1. I expected that more would try to set up a fight or to get a delay with which they then could pose in either way: "We tried to say No, but in the end we had to accept the Yes".
Old 02-02-17, 11:22 AM   #5930
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

What happened to Diane Abbott?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...er-office-says

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 02-02-17, 11:26 AM   #5931
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

"Brexit flu" No it's in the article

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 02-02-17, 01:52 PM   #5932
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

It's now official, Scotland will be the most highly taxed part of the UK for higher earners:

Scottish budget passes first vote after SNP-Green deal: LINK.

Quote:
MSPs backed Finance Secretary Derek Mackay's tax and spending plans by a margin of 67 to 59.
A deal was struck with the Greens totalling £220m of extra spending, including £160m for local authorities.
The deal will also see the threshold for the 40p rate of income tax frozen at £43,000.
The same threshold is being raised to £45,000 in the rest of the UK, so the move means higher-rate tax payers elsewhere will pay up to £400 less tax every year than people earning the same wage in Scotland. The Scottish government had originally planned to raise the threshold only by the rate of inflation.
Brian Taylor's analysis, Scotland's budget: Jeers and cheers: LINK.

I was right in thinking that the Budget would get through, though it appears the Greens were more willing to compromise than I thought.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 02-02-17, 06:05 PM   #5933
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
What happened to Diane Abbott?

She was in JC's bed having a second go at having a fling with him.

According to the Daily Fake News.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 02-02-17, 08:59 PM   #5934
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
It's now official, Scotland will be the most highly taxed part of the UK for higher earners:

Scottish budget passes first vote after SNP-Green deal: LINK.

Brian Taylor's analysis, Scotland's budget: Jeers and cheers: LINK.

I was right in thinking that the Budget would get through, though it appears the Greens were more willing to compromise than I thought.

Mike.
How will that go down with the SNP supporters?

Old 02-03-17, 01:48 PM   #5935
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

For the majority the increase won't affect them personally - many are in the C2DE demographic. Those who are, the ABC1's, mainly vote Labour or Tory.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...rtraits-01.png

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 02-03-17, 02:33 PM   #5936
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

wrong thread
Old 02-03-17, 04:08 PM   #5937
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Well it's not going to be the right thread, we're all lefties over here in Europe!
Old 02-04-17, 08:48 AM   #5938
STEED
Lucky Jack

On the radio this week I heard this..

Research study that came out this week revealed the British young have turned back to the right wing all thanks to Thatcher...No wait for it. Tony Blair yes him, he has achieved more making the young turn back to the right wing than Thatcher ever did!

Votes for UKIP and the Conservatives have gone up thanks to the kids growing up under the Blair years.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 02-04-17, 10:54 AM   #5939
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
For the majority the increase won't affect them personally - many are in the C2DE demographic. Those who are, the ABC1's, mainly vote Labour or Tory.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...rtraits-01.png

Mike.
That 21% who didn't vote in at least one referendum is a sizeable chunk

Old 02-04-17, 02:45 PM   #5940
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Copeland by-election: Candidates list
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38705088

According to the polls the Tories will win this seat and UKIP will take the next by-election seat. Well we shall see as its down to the voters who they elect.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics