Closed Thread

Old 10-11-16, 10:55 AM   #5551
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
UKIP begins inquiry into Woolfe incident and Farage, when asked if UKIP could be taken seriously as a political party following the fracas, referred to other scuffles involving former Labour MPs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37606386
Don't recall any Labour MPs requiring hospitalisation after them though.
Old 10-11-16, 02:13 PM   #5552
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Don't recall any Labour MPs requiring hospitalisation after them though.
True that but one was broadcast live on national TV

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 10-11-16, 02:17 PM   #5553
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Icon12

It's like peeing in a public bath: everyone does it, but probably not from the spring board

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is online  
Old 10-12-16, 07:55 AM   #5554
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Corbyn performed fairly well at PMQ's (for a change) but watered down the effect by asking questions on Brexit that everyone knows there are currently no answers to.

Old 10-13-16, 07:20 AM   #5555
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Sturgeon announces consultations for second referendum. If you get more than you give, you surely know whom you want to line up with.

But with Brexit-hostile EUcrats indicating the Scots would be given special deals bypassing current EU laws and treaties to help Scotland getting into the EU as an "independent" nation, there also are many polticians who makde already clear that Scotland should not take it for grnated to just pick up what Britain has left behind laying on the ground in EU terms and benefits.

Me, I tell the Scots the same what I said last time: my sympathy for your independence - but you have to make sure you actually can afford it and you have to make sure you can make a living by your own means. If you expect us others to pay your bills, then you depend on us, and thus you are not indepednet and soverign a nation at all, no matter what your referendum claims. The last thing that I want and what the EU needs, is another net-receiving hungry mouth at the table. And that is what it would come down to. Britian was/still is a net payer. Scotland would be a net-receiver. The total balance regarding Scottish EU membership, from the EU's POV is negative. Thus, I want such a membership being denied by the EU.

A sovereign nation is only sovereign, when it can come up for its living by itself, and it is only independent, when it can come up for its bills by its own economic power. If it cannot secure this, then all talking about sovereignty and independence is just empty, pathetic kerfuffle. You cannot claim to be independent when you de facto are dependent.

Last edited by Skybird; 10-13-16 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-13-16, 09:52 AM   #5556
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ I can agree with that

Old 10-13-16, 01:34 PM   #5557
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Brian Taylor's take on the matter: LINK.

Sturgeon has two problems:

1. The polls don't show any significant shift towards independence in Scotland. Yet. I would say most people are taking a wait-and-see approach.

2. This is probably her biggest concern - internal party tensions between the Gradualists, like her, and the Radicalists, like Salmond. Note that the Gradual/Radical wings within the SNP don't corrolate strictly along Right/Left lines.

At the end of the day, any IndyRef2 would require authorisation by Westminster as the constitution is a reserved matter.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 10-14-16, 07:12 AM   #5558
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I can't see Westminster agreeing whilst May is at the helm and in all probability that might help Sturgeons cause in the medium term.

Once Brexit is finalised and the Scottish position regarding the EU is clarified once and for all I should imagine the Scottish people will be in a better position to make an informed choice.

Old 10-14-16, 01:27 PM   #5559
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

No disagreement there.

One thing I do find quite irritating, which has reared it's head again in the papers with this, is the use of "Scotland" and "SNP" interchangably. The SNP isn't Scotland, nor does everyone up here vote for them!

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 10-15-16, 08:42 AM   #5560
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yep, my lad works with three fellow officers who are Scottish and they all say the same.

Old 10-17-16, 06:16 AM   #5561
Oberon
Lucky Jack

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/168882

Old 10-17-16, 06:46 AM   #5562
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
I would not bother getting hot under the collar over that one due to the fact you can put up any old petition as long as you have four backers. I used to work with a guy who wanted to put up a petition demanding the British government come clean about secret worm holes in time and space, he couldn't get four backers wonder why.

Most of these petitions do not reach the number to be vetted by a panel who decide if Parliament should debate it. And even if it did the chance of it being passed is less than 1%.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-17-16, 06:48 AM   #5563
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
No disagreement there.

One thing I do find quite irritating, which has reared it's head again in the papers with this, is the use of "Scotland" and "SNP" interchangably. The SNP isn't Scotland, nor does everyone up here vote for them!

Mike.
I think the SNP has peaked and under that power mad crazy women the everyday Scots will start to see through her. The fall will take time unless there is a uprising in Scotland against the SNP.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 10-17-16, 07:34 AM   #5564
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
I would not bother getting hot under the collar over that one due to the fact you can put up any old petition as long as you have four backers. I used to work with a guy who wanted to put up a petition demanding the British government come clean about secret worm holes in time and space, he couldn't get four backers wonder why.

Most of these petitions do not reach the number to be vetted by a panel who decide if Parliament should debate it. And even if it did the chance of it being passed is less than 1%.
It's more who put it up that's the problem...sad indication of the people in politics.
Old 10-17-16, 07:50 AM   #5565
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
It's more who put it up that's the problem...sad indication of the people in politics.
Politics as it stands now is a right bloody mess and I just don't see it getting any better.

I may sign a petition if the question is Parliment should back Subsims and donate £5000 a year.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics