SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.20%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 195 18.71%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.11%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 552 52.98%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-09, 02:34 PM   #541
Roger_Becker
Watch

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 4 U Boot Unfall im Atlantik

Hi guys, I have once again made a small video
It is about two atomic submarines Beginning February colidiert are
.................................................. .................................................. ..............

Zwei Atom-U-Boote aus Frankreich und Großbritannien sind Anfang Februar im Atlantik zusammengestoßen und dabei schwer beschädigt worden. Die mit jeweils 16 Atom-Raketen bestückten U-Boote sollen trotz ihrer hochmodernen Sonargeräte das jeweils andere Unterwasser-Fahrzeug übersehen haben, berichteten britische Medien unter Berufung auf Militärkreise

Link Hier

Gruß Ryan
Roger_Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 05:05 AM   #542
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 69

@Tomagabriel:

Regarding your amazing progress with adding missiles to the game, how did you do it? At least how did you make the topedoes fly? Secondly, would it be possible to make them launch vertically? If I for example moved 4 torpedo tubes to a vertical position behind the conning tower, would the topedoes/missiles then launch vertically or would the game crash?
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 07:13 AM   #543
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

my idea was to take the 3d model of the torp in 3D studio, raise it a little, re-import it in the torpedo.dat. see post #473 and #493

and it worked !

the rest : 3d model of missile etc.. is to his credit.

the thing is it still behaves like a normal torpedo, hits underwater like one, it just "appears" to fly.

so no, a vertical launch wouldn't be possible as the torpedo moves horizontaly, or you would have to builld a whole animation sequence : launch vertical, rotate 90° then move horizontally, maybe doable but I'm no good with animation, ask Skwasjer.

Keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 07:48 AM   #544
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

@Keltos:

Okay....thanks for the reply
Old 03-09-09, 07:50 AM   #545
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

@Keltos:

Arrgh!! .....3D studio?.....me no have 3D studio

Erhm.....would it be possible to do the same trick in S3D?
Old 03-09-09, 08:31 AM   #546
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf
@Keltos:

Arrgh!! .....3D studio?.....me no have 3D studio

Erhm.....would it be possible to do the same trick in S3D?
no.

you only change the altitude the game sets the torpedo to with S3D, and the game doesn't alow for torpedoes to fly above the surface.

It is a trick, instead of having an object at 0,0,0 it really is at 0,1,0 where 1 is the height in meters.

but the game still believes it's at 0,0,0 so it lets you fire it, even though it shows above the water surface.

Give me the torpedo you wanna use and I can do it in my free time.

keltos

Old 03-09-09, 12:19 PM   #547
thyro
Commander

Location: on a rock surrounded by water, that people call it UK
Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
my idea was to take the 3d model of the torp in 3D studio, raise it a little, re-import it in the torpedo.dat. see post #473 and #493

and it worked !

the rest : 3d model of missile etc.. is to his credit.

the thing is it still behaves like a normal torpedo, hits underwater like one, it just "appears" to fly.

so no, a vertical launch wouldn't be possible as the torpedo moves horizontaly, or you would have to builld a whole animation sequence : launch vertical, rotate 90° then move horizontally, maybe doable but I'm no good with animation, ask Skwasjer.

Keltos
@keltos01

Quick question... but would be possible to convert a number of torpedoes in missiles? (Vertical)... doesn't matter of they fly to their targets or not... since Ballistic missiles aren't used on such small targets.

I'm thinking for example Trident missiles be launched "vertically" operate like a torpedo but to act as a ballistic missile to "disappear onto space"...

Now would that be possible with current SH4 limitations?

for example a nuke sub open Ballistic missiles doors launch one or two at launch depth... just a visual thing not a "kill all targets nuke".

Cheers

thyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 04:32 PM   #548
XPETIT
Watch

Downloads: 6

Hi,

I have succeed to put the 4 sub have I made (Akula, Typhoon, RedOctober and LeTerrible) on filefront here :
http://hosted.filefront.com/XPETIT/

Tell me if it's ok to download them.

Have good time.
XPETIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 04:41 PM   #549
thyro
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPETIT
Hi,

I have succeed to put the 4 sub have I made (Akula, Typhoon, RedOctober and LeTerrible) on filefront here :

Have good time.
excellent many thanks XPETIT

Old 03-10-09, 02:52 AM   #550
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3

@ the vertical launch topic.

What Keltos01 said+I have not tried to launch vertical but my guess is that an unmodified torpedo would just pop out of the water (depending on its speed and launch depth and etc.) and then it would fall back in the water (with a splash) and go on its merry way. Just a guess, not tested (I will do it). Anyway, missile doors are definitely doable (I am not sure how many torpedo tubes are achievable in order to convert some of them to missile tubes - Keltos01 I think did some work in this direction - and the Ohio would need some 28 tubes! - Russian and French subs are less demanding).

Next is some day-dreaming...

If you do not intend anyway to actually launch a real missile, I was thinking this: maybe one can make a very sophisticated launch effect and associate it to the launch procedure (thus you would see the missile going up - flames 'n stuff, but it would all be just an effect, including the missile you see going up), associate a blank 3d model to the torpedo so that you don't see the real one going horizontally through the water and also a very high explosive warhead.

The result would be that you launch, you see the stuff going up, etc, then after some time you would see a huge explosion somewhere caused by the invisible torpedo (again huge explosion effect needed). Hopefully the proximity fuse of the torpedo can be set to detonate at ~100m or more from target (otherwise you would launch, miss the target and never know it).

Anyway, the really bad news is that torpedo guidance + very high speeds do not go along well. I could not make yet a guided torpedo that travels at 500nm to hit the target. It always turns around just before hitting. I am still trying, but I can not make any prediction. Some things might be hard-coded. What I would like to change is the maneuverability of the torpedo (how much it goes left / right while homing). From the sim file I can only change the initial left/right turn towards the target, but after that, when the torpedo detects something, it can turn around with no problem or make all sort of turns. That should be changed. It should only be allowed to do very slow turns and also very small ones. Also its sensor range should be greatly increased. All these might not be achievable. Therefore at first I thought that I will disable the missiles I've made. However I realised that the dummy missiles I've made are great for port attacks if I use a dumb torpedo/unguided (when ships are stationary). I did some tests and it looks nice. So probably this week I will release a new version of the Ohio and it will have these stuff in it. One thing is certain. It is fast (has a small white smoke trail to easily keep an eye on it and because it flies low you won't be bothered-I hope-that the hit occurs a couple of meters below the actual missile model).

Bottom line
This is deffinitely a WIP.

___________________ <---- this was the bottom line
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 02:53 AM   #551
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPETIT
Hi,

Have good time.

Thank you very,very much. Oh, God! Butterflies in the stomach.
Old 03-10-09, 04:48 AM   #552
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Default ssss

tomagabriel@ the vertical launch topic.

What Keltos01 said+I have not tried to launch vertical but my guess is that an unmodified torpedo would just pop out of the water (depending on its speed and launch depth and etc.) and then it would fall back in the water (with a splash)

and go on its merry way. Just a guess, not tested (I will do it).
good
Anyway, missile doors are definitely doable
like the torpedo doors were, the only thing is to place them on top of the sub.

(I am not sure how many torpedo tubes are achievable in order to convert some of them to missile tubes - Keltos01 I think did some work in this direction -
If you mod on the German side, we managed to get 8 tubes working, on the US side there are 10.

I managed 11 for the Class T submarine but then the TBT would cause CTD.. I since learned that we had to add the tubes in another file with a new hexa address - Peabody did it for us - so maybe that's the problem with the 11th tube, if it is then there is no max number of tubes you could set up.

and the Ohio would need some 28 tubes! - Russian and French subs are less demanding).

Next is some day-dreaming...

If you do not intend anyway to actually launch a real missile, I was thinking this: maybe one can make a very sophisticated launch effect and associate it to the launch procedure
You could make me a kaiten launch procedure ?

(thus you would see the missile going up - flames 'n stuff, but it would all be just an effect, including the missile you see going up), associate a blank 3d model to the torpedo so that you don't see the real one going horizontally through the water and also a very high explosive warhead.
doable
The result would be that you launch, you see the stuff going up, etc, then after some time you would see a huge explosion somewhere caused by the invisible torpedo (again huge explosion effect needed). Hopefully the proximity fuse of the torpedo can be set to detonate at ~100m or more from target (otherwise you would launch, miss the target and never know it).

Anyway, the really bad news is that torpedo guidance + very high speeds do not go along well. I could not make yet a guided torpedo that travels at 500nm to hit the target. It always turns around just before hitting. I am still trying, but I can not make any prediction. Some things might be hard-coded. What I would like to change is the maneuverability of the torpedo (how much it goes left / right while homing). From the sim file I can only change the initial left/right turn towards the target, but after that, when the torpedo detects something, it can turn around with no problem or make all sort of turns. That should be changed. It should only be allowed to do very slow turns and also very small ones. Also its sensor range should be greatly increased. All these might not be achievable. Therefore at first I thought that I will disable the missiles I've made. However I realised that the dummy missiles I've made are great for port attacks if I use a dumb torpedo/unguided (when ships are stationary). I did some tests and it looks nice.
but you can't have obstacles in the way can you ? since it's still basically a torpedo ?
So probably this week I will release a new version of the Ohio and it will have these stuff in it. One thing is certain. It is fast (has a small white smoke trail to easily keep an eye on it and because it flies low you won't be bothered-I hope-that the hit occurs a couple of meters below the actual missile model).

Bottom line
This is deffinitely a WIP.
but a good one, and nothing's easy in modding SH4, good job !

keltos

___________________ <---- this was the bottom line

Old 03-10-09, 05:36 AM   #553
thyro
Commander

That was just an idea... if would be possible its launch process would also allow nuke subs to be fit with Ballistics and soon missions would appear. For example a mission where a subs would need to reach certain coordinates get into launch depth to launch the missile(s) to complete the mission.

I really doubt that SH4 game mechanics would allow to manouver a missile (torp) launched vertically... so back to basics just the launch as visual effect would be enough (the make believe that exists a target and it will be hit by a ballistic missile)

if launching a missile (torp) vertically without any guidance but just to go up till "limbo" (high sky limit on SH4) and disapear would be possible then would be like breaking new ground on SH4... after that just add cosmetics (FX effects and sound at it)

Last edited by thyro; 03-10-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-10-09, 07:00 AM   #554
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

@ Keltos01
"but you can't have obstacles in the way can you ? since it's still basically a torpedo ?"

indeed
Old 03-10-09, 03:43 PM   #555
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

@Keltos:

Sorry for the long reply time, I am moving right now so everything is a mess, just had the computer up and running today. I will send you the file as soon as I get in order here, thanks