SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-11, 12:19 PM   #31
Paris_England
Soundman

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0

Food, provisions etc will come with Privateer's work on import/export of the GR2 models I'm sure. I did previously manage to get a bunch of bananas into a new room with Goblin but something went hideously wrong in game. As soon as I walked into the room with the new bananas I was teleported off the boat to external view! Not sure what happened.

At this moment I'm trying to add new waypoints for the new crew. We'll see what happens
Paris_England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:27 PM   #32
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Im very curious about a thing.. those animations and waypoints used in the trailer can be found somewhere hidden in the game? That trailer it rather looks like a ingame footage than a rendered movie file. So those waypoints and animations should exist somewhere in the game and maybe they had no time to set them up properly...
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:52 PM   #33
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
Im very curious about a thing.. those animations and waypoints used in the trailer can be found somewhere hidden in the game? That trailer it rather looks like a ingame footage than a rendered movie file. So those waypoints and animations should exist somewhere in the game and maybe they had no time to set them up properly...
If you look at the mighty fine crew mod, there is animation for the deck crew coming down the ladder when you dive and going back up when you surface. Heretic had mentioned it was already coded in the game but not used, I suspect because there is some clipping and characters walking through each other. I am sure that are many other animations which the developpers did not have time to finalize in the rush to get the game out.
Old 02-11-11, 12:54 PM   #34
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris_England View Post
"Some Underwater Love" redoes the seabed textures,

whew ... wasnt sure what to expect based on the title
Old 02-11-11, 12:56 PM   #35
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

definetely a real alarm behavior of the crew would be a very great step forward immersion!!!

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 01:00 PM   #36
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Thanks very much for the encouragement and enthusiasm.

I see the crew and the underwater mods as being two separate things so no worries there. The crew mod though -- that depends on a few things. I use SteelVikings interior, MFC and MCCD -- all files which are touched by more crew and by MO.

The first version will be one which works with MO (for it to really work with MO, TDW will have to include it as it will not be compatible as is -- it overwrites the same files). Whether it would be included as part of MO is largely down to TDW and you guys -- and of course the quality of the final product At this point I don't want to get ahead of myself -- it'd just be nice to have the thing finished.

I can see the reservations of having even more zombie crew, but I watched Das Boot the other night and was struck again by the claustrophobia -- something that I felt was missing from SH5 from the start. At this moment my crew does nothing but stand there scratching their collective nuts -- but they do add to the feel of confining.

I have a few things I'm not sure about -- the worst offender is trying to track down why the waypoints move sometimes.

Also I'm not really sure what to make the extra crew do -- if there's around 45 crewmembers, then is it 3 shifts of 15 per day -- does anyone know the crew roster and the average day for each job?

How about interactions? Do you want to talk to these guys? Do they need names? How about personal stories, conversations about life on board? I don't want to get too cheesy, but I'm wondering how you guys, as captain of the boat would imagine interacting with your crew.

Thanks

P
sure. there was a "3-watch-system" so every watch was to be on service for 4 hours. 12-4, 4-8 and 8-12. the 12-4 watch was the "mad-dog-watch", as you had to get up to get breakfast and couldnt sleep through the night. every crew member who was on "free service" was sleeping, doing maintenance or just hanging around. so guess, 1/3 of the crew was always at sleep, 1/3 was having free time and 1/3 was on watch!

hope this helps!

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 01:31 PM   #37
Paris_England
Soundman

@webster -- yeah, I see your point Maybe I could have come up with a better title

@Urfisch -- Thanks.

So if possible you guys just want the crew to move about the boat doing crewish things. You don't want then for interaction or as a gameplay element (if this is possible)? Not that I can even think how that would work. Is the moral system working yet? And how about reknown? I haven't played the campaign much so I don't know whether it's easy enough to get reknown points.

Off the cuff idea -- use the chef's 'special meal' ability script in a modified manner on other crew members -- you talk with them, moral goes up in a small, small way. Maybe they tell you a bit about their background "Can't wait to get back to port and see Marge" and you can later ask them "So when did you meet Glenda" or "So when did you meet Marge" -- getting the name right increases moral, getting it wrong decreases it. In other words if you pay attention to your crew and get to know them, the happier they are.
Old 02-11-11, 02:09 PM   #38
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

i want my crew back

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 02:11 PM   #39
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Well, Im a long term SH fan and for sure, I dont need more balast on my boat. But if by any means it will be possible to implement the SH3 crew system into a 3d world, Im all over for it.

Just imagine the joy: login into the game and drink a cofee with Hans, then have a nice chat with the WO about wtf to do in the next hours, scroll trough the messages you got until you was asleep etc. Then get out to the fresh air and scout the horizon, have a cigar with the boys, listen to some gramophone nor war news, talk about Marlene left pregnant in the port by Wolfi, clear issues with the engines with the engineer etc.

Then.. boom, alarm! Smoke on the horizon, everybody on deck just jump in the hole, dive and we all gather around the sonar. "Frak yeah sir, multiple contacts, we are in the business". The crew goes mad, everybody just run around and yell. The torpedoes got warmed up and ..

.. oh wait.. sorry, this is the SH5 forum. Oh well... carry on.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 02:19 PM   #40
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
If it was me , i would do 2 stand alone mods . But its you not me . 1 for the extra crew and 1 for the sea floor . But its you not me .
Yes, I agree !!!

Please two standalone MODs !

Best regards,
Magic
Old 02-11-11, 03:03 PM   #41
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72
Quote:
@webster -- yeah, I see your point Maybe I could have come up with a better title

@Urfisch -- Thanks.

So if possible you guys just want the crew to move about the boat doing crewish things. You don't want then for interaction or as a gameplay element (if this is possible)? Not that I can even think how that would work. Is the moral system working yet? And how about reknown? I haven't played the campaign much so I don't know whether it's easy enough to get reknown points.

Off the cuff idea -- use the chef's 'special meal' ability script in a modified manner on other crew members -- you talk with them, moral goes up in a small, small way. Maybe they tell you a bit about their background "Can't wait to get back to port and see Marge" and you can later ask them "So when did you meet Glenda" or "So when did you meet Marge" -- getting the name right increases moral, getting it wrong decreases it. In other words if you pay attention to your crew and get to know them, the happier they are.
Paris, that's just incredible!! It was rather a distant hope for me to see more crew in the boat! Way to go mate!

I recon that first priority is to implement shifts as Urfish explained, this will be already a big step forward from what we have now where some of the guys are just there to sleep in the bunks the whole war through and others are constantly there to stare at you. Crew rotation, that's first, don't want to see all the same faces in all the same places.
Second thing is to teach them to do something looking more human then they do now - if I laid in the bunk, I wouldn't be up sitting or twisting every 45 secs, I would be just sleeping (ideally with some blanket on me). If I wasn't sleeping and not on duty I would not stand upright in one place whole time, I would occasionaly walk up and down the boat or sit to chat with somebody, lay and read a book. While sitting I would not only sit like a defendant in a prisoner dock, but often inclined back and relaxed. If I am on duty - I will not be standing in one place like a statue starring at torpedoes or even sit on my bunk (bosun, torp man). When on battle station - nobody should just lay in bunks or sit there relaxed, neither should cook cook.
Third thing is to make them move around the boat - run forward and back, walk through the boat etc.
And only fourthly should they be tought to talk, allowed to have families and, god forbid, talk to the captain.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 03:07 PM   #42
Paris_England
Soundman

SH5 is my first silent hunter so I have no idea what crew management was like in previous iterations.

As far as SH5 goes, the 3d boat is there for immersion. The crew plays little part in the game as far as I can make out -- except to make it feel like you're not alone. Unfortunately, their presence makes you feel even more alone -- they're some of the worst NPCs I've had the pleasure of meeting.
Old 02-11-11, 03:15 PM   #43
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72

Quote:
SH5 is my first silent hunter so I have no idea what crew management was like in previous iterations.

As far as SH5 goes, the 3d boat is there for immersion. The crew plays little part in the game as far as I can make out -- except to make it feel like you're not alone. Unfortunately, their presence makes you feel even more alone -- they're some of the worst NPCs I've had the pleasure of meeting.
There was none. Only 'business-talk' (surface, dive etc.) and distributing awards to pics after a patrol.

Re talking to the crew. It is yours and only yours awesome mod. Do whatever you fell will make it more playable for you, we can only suggest. If you like them talking more - I am all in.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 03:18 PM   #44
naights
Sparky

Downloads: 384
Uploads: 7

Buenas:

If no new animation, maybe more comments (Something to Talk About), will help that **** of npcs.
naights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 03:24 PM   #45
panosrxo
Planesman

Downloads: 115

Quote:

Adding rpg features to the game, will add immersion and will make it easier to play on lower tc (less boring)
panosrxo is offline   Reply With Quote