SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-25-07, 03:12 AM   #31
kevtherev
Loader

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg_Unterberg
hi kevtherev,

I used GIMP to edit the contline.tga. I found out that to remove the tail its not necessary to delete the whole line - which is 256 pixel long. By using the eraser (rubber) tool simply delete the leftmost 50 pixel and the rightmost 50 pixel of the line and save as uncompressed .tga.

I can upload my contline.tga, but its only for GWX 1.03 - should I upload it?
Uploading your .tga file would be great Georg, I am also using GWX 1.03 so could use it there, maybe could also try it in NYGM 2.5 ?
many thanks for your offer, look forward to a download !!
kevtherev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 09:01 AM   #32
Georg_Unterberg
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 28

ok, download here: http://files.filefront.com//;7602299;;/

readme:

MOD: course tail remove for GWX 1.03 (will probably work with all GWX versions)
Installation: JSGME-ready
changed file: /data/Menu/Gui/ContLine.tga

Purpose: Removes the "tail" from contacts on NavMap. The tail is an indicator for the course the contact is heading. This MOD will remove ALL the tails from contacts, including your own sub. This is necessary if you play GWX and want to use vanjasts "RealNav MOD".

Note: The file contline.tga seems to be responsible not only for the tails but also for other *solid* lines that appear on the NavMap, like e.g. hydrophone directions in assisted plotting mod. This Mod will ONLY remove the tails completely, you'll notice that other solid lines will appear "dashed".

If navigating for real, don't forget to check "No map contact updates" in SH3 difficulty settings

All credits to *Rubini* who sorted this out sometime in 2006.

Last edited by Georg_Unterberg; 05-25-07 at 09:15 AM.
Georg_Unterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 09:45 AM   #33
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 806
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartc
I remember another problem though which was discussed then: The fact that the rudder (or the "helmsman") would not compensate for sea currents to stay the course when you enter the heading manually, other than when the course is plotted on the map. That would result in an ever increasing error, drifting you off course, and require constant position checks.
What is your experience with that?
Hi Heartc, with regard to ocean currents, I don't think they're modelled in the game, and when playing in game, the higher your time compression, the more/quicker one drifts off course. I've found that a compression of 256x is just managable. this time compression is at the limit of important aspects of the game, relating to aircraft and radar detection.

It does make the game slower, but I've found it enjoyable non-the-less.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 09:50 AM   #34
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1reed
I have to admit, van, that it was "force of habit" to use the horizon as my base...because thats what I do with real sextant. Sorry for the confusion.
Cheers,
hi Don, I tried using the sextant on the sea horizon very early in testing and found the errors that you got as well, this being due to the POV(point of view) scales on the screen being non-linear. I eventually worked it out that placing the sextant so it fitted the whole screen gave consistent accuracy. Tedious yes, but it works .

We can call it "setting up the sextant" for shooting

Van-o
Old 05-25-07, 03:46 PM   #35
heartc
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 71

Ok, thanks for the feedback, Vanjast!
heartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 03:48 PM   #36
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

Roger that 'n tnx

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 08:06 AM   #37
poor sailor
XO

Downloads: 15

I've finally successfully installed your mod! And from now I'm going to navigation school. Maybe is early for this question, yes I don't learn yet to navigate, but interesting in some solution for attack when you find the target. Could the function Ctrl+left click do the job for this and the marking the position of own sub and after that take a measure for target ship? Or maybe another tips for this, maybe is good to have a different solutions. I already have a hard situation to plotting because I using assisted plotting mod and my sonar contact lines are dashed, but I love much more reality and with this vanjast mod everything is an upper level of realism. For real hardcore captains.
poor sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-07, 09:50 AM   #38
vanjast
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor sailor
I've finally successfully installed your mod! And from now I'm going to navigation school. Maybe is early for this question, yes I don't learn yet to navigate, but interesting in some solution for attack when you find the target. Could the function Ctrl+left click do the job for this and the marking the position of own sub and after that take a measure for target ship? Or maybe another tips for this, maybe is good to have a different solutions. I already have a hard situation to plotting because I using assisted plotting mod and my sonar contact lines are dashed, but I love much more reality and with this vanjast mod everything is an upper level of realism. For real hardcore captains.
The CTL-Left Click looks hard coded as I cannot find where to get rid of it.
As with the sonar lines, if you run at 100% reality setting AFAIK these will disappear leaving you 'alone'.
Old 05-26-07, 10:04 AM   #39
poor sailor
XO

I've have doing some tests of this mod in Naval Academy-Convoy Attack, and found some small issue.

For the first picture I used the originaly file "Maps.cfg" from RealNav mod and in high zoom level I found this as seen in picture

On that high zoom level I can't use any plotting for this convoy for example. The distance of this convoy by me in this case is about 1000m (Using Weapon officer target solution)

Then I tried to use the originaly "Maps.cfg" file from GWX and also same like "Assisted plotting" mod "Maps.cfg" which I use. Only thing I did is including one transparent file for in this example VIIb submarine to prevent seeing a 1500m Pato bearing and my position. And from the picture I seen that I have a much better and enough space to take a "attack" measures.

Now, my question is, may I use this maps.cfg settings in second example without loosing anything important of "RealNav" mod?

For the end, to not confuse someone, this plot lines on pictures are originaly made for Naval Academy-Convoy Attack mission.
And also if someone wants this transparent file I can made a JSGME version for GWX for all the submarines types. I get this file from Dantenoc FileFront page.
Old 05-26-07, 04:44 PM   #40
vanjast
Sea Lord

Hi PoorSailor, you refer to pictures in th above post. Could you link them please as I cannot see any pics.

With regard to the 'maps.cfg' files this is the only change I've added.
[Map0]
;ZoomLevels=1,2,5,10,20,50,100,200,500,1000,2000,4 000,7000,10000,20000,40000; meters per pixel
ZoomLevels=100,200,500,1000,2000,4000,7000,10000,2 0000,40000; meters per pixel
InitialZoom=500

At the minimum zoom level = 100, the map is at a nice visual level, which is also enough to do basic close navigation. Below this level the map gets 'blocky'/pixelated and is not very helpfull.

With regard to convoy plotting and navigation, I have not had the opportunity to try this and only have the NYGM 2.5 mod installed. It looks like this mod will only work properly with 100% realistic settings, as here all the little extras are disabled (except Ctl-LeftClick)

I think one has to look carefully at what each mod installs, as it might override other mod files. Also compare any changed files and adjust them to what they originally were to maintain the nav mod.

Van-o
Old 05-27-07, 02:58 AM   #41
poor sailor
XO

Posting again pictures.
First one is taken from max zoom level on your original map.cfg and represent what I see in max zoom in Naval academy-Convoy attack mission. The point of this is that I can't doing any measures on map, because that convoy is about 1000-1500m to me, in this situation my actual position is on the edge of this circle wich represents a enemy convoy.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4...zoommappd8.jpg

And the second picture with originaly GWX "maps.cfg" which is the same as NYGM "maps.cfg" and also in max zoom. And in this zoom level I can use a tools which need to me to take in map. I use "Assisted plotting mod" and because of that I have this dashed sonar lines. Ploting lines seen on both pictures are originaly there by the Naval Academy-Convoy attack mission.
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8...zoommaplh8.jpg

I checked already and there is no conflict (I mean your mod and GWX original files), and I seen the change you did in "maps.cfg" as you posted in your last post, but only I want to know is: may I use the second settings as seen in second picture without loosing anything important on your "realnav" mod. You may try this training mission yourself and you will see what I'm talking. Your mod is really fantastic but for myself I can't loose the feeling of manualy plotting target as I before did and maybe I already know that I may use the second option on this post but only I want to You confirm that, just to be sure for myself. I posted on SH3 forum the question about how to make an attack and do the manual calculations for target with using option "No map updates". This is very interesting question, and think that there is no many players on this forum who use this option but already get some really usefull advices and must to play myself and find out, but first I must to learn to navigate with your mod. I'm navigation schoolboy

Last edited by poor sailor; 05-27-07 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-27-07, 08:08 AM   #42
Georg_Unterberg
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 28

hi poor sailor,

for higher navmap zoom levels and real navigation you may want to try this maps.cfg settings:
this should make the 3km bearing tool from GWX "invisible"
BTW: don't forget the attack map!

[Map0]
MapID=Navigation_map
Position=0,0
Resolution=1024,656
MajorSqrs=4,2.4
MinorSqrs=5,5
PixPerUnit=50
ZoomLevels=1,2,5,10,20,50,100,200,500,1000,2000,40 00,7000,10000,20000,40000; meters per pixel
;ZoomLevels=100,200,500,1000,2000,4000,7000,10000, 20000,40000; meters per pixel
InitialZoom=10000;prevents giving you a good guess where you are - if pressing F5 after reload
SymbolZoom=1;units are drawn as symbols from this zoom up; no more 3km bearing tool
GroupsZoom=100;units are drawn in groups from this zoom up
CityZoom=7000;city names are displayed from this zoom down
KriegZoom=2000;krieg labels are separated displayed from this zoom up
HarborZoom=100;harbors will be displayed from this zoom up

[Map1]
MapID=Attack_map
Position=0,0
Resolution=1024,768
MajorSqrs=4,3
MinorSqrs=5,5
PixPerUnit=50
ZoomLevels=1; meters per pixel; F6 attack map is always centered on your position!
InitialZoom=1; highest zoom only will make it useless for revealing position by accident
SymbolZoom=2;units are drawn as symbols from this zoom up
GroupsZoom=2;units are drawn in groups from this zoom up
Georg_Unterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 08:19 AM   #43
poor sailor
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg_Unterberg
hi poor sailor,

for higher navmap zoom levels and real navigation you may want to try this maps.cfg settings:
this should make the 3km bearing tool from GWX "invisible"
BTW: don't forget the attack map!

[Map0]
MapID=Navigation_map
Position=0,0
Resolution=1024,656
MajorSqrs=4,2.4
MinorSqrs=5,5
PixPerUnit=50
ZoomLevels=1,2,5,10,20,50,100,200,500,1000,2000,40 00,7000,10000,20000,40000; meters per pixel
;ZoomLevels=100,200,500,1000,2000,4000,7000,10000, 20000,40000; meters per pixel
InitialZoom=10000;prevents giving you a good guess where you are - if pressing F5 after reload
SymbolZoom=1;units are drawn as symbols from this zoom up; no more 3km bearing tool
GroupsZoom=100;units are drawn in groups from this zoom up
CityZoom=7000;city names are displayed from this zoom down
KriegZoom=2000;krieg labels are separated displayed from this zoom up
HarborZoom=100;harbors will be displayed from this zoom up

[Map1]
MapID=Attack_map
Position=0,0
Resolution=1024,768
MajorSqrs=4,3
MinorSqrs=5,5
PixPerUnit=50
ZoomLevels=1; meters per pixel; F6 attack map is always centered on your position!
InitialZoom=1; highest zoom only will make it useless for revealing position by accident
SymbolZoom=2;units are drawn as symbols from this zoom up
GroupsZoom=2;units are drawn in groups from this zoom up
Thanks mate, I will try It!
Old 05-27-07, 08:31 AM   #44
poor sailor
XO

I was tried your advice Georg and found your solution excellent for me! Many thanks!
Old 05-27-07, 02:49 PM   #45
poor sailor
XO

Well, now I'm starting with this great mod. I learned how to use the sextant, but how to use the sunset/rise table and how to calculate longitude, is there any formula to get this? Sorry, maybe is there in your manual Van, but I couldn't understand well I think.

edit: If you make a real example for calculation, maybe for case in your "QuickNav guide". Can you make me a explanation on that example? Is answer for my first question before editing this post about formula ->"Degrees West/East = (Game Sunrise/Set time – Almanac Sunrise/Set time) / 4" ? If yes, can you use the values on your example and put in this formula as I can to see a look for that calculation.

Last edited by poor sailor; 05-27-07 at 03:56 PM.