SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-07, 04:25 PM   #31
Ansirial
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimitstexan
I think the problem (as others have reported it) is the game was not using the wounded medal as such, but rather awarding it just like any other medal. Do you have actual experiance of the game limiting the "wounded medal" just to wounded crewmen?
Yes, I'm sure, in the last patrol I had a wounded and then I received only ONE wound badge (the medal originally called "Submarine Service Medal" first place in menu.txt) and few patrols ago I had I don't remember how many wounded and I received few wound badge - obviously a for wonded I mean a real wonded (not a 94/100). These are the the only cases I had this medal.

I suppose the medal is awarded for wounded below the 90/100 of health
Ansirial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 04:34 PM   #32
Schultzy
Commander

Downloads: 48

Just to add my experiences to the wound medal issue.

I just got back to Pearl Harbour with 2 wounded crew men. Low and behold I had 4 promotions and 2 purple hearts to distribute. However, whilst I obviously gave them to the two men who had been wounded, nearly all the NCO's/seamen's boxes were highlighted when I was dragging the medal, so I could have given it to anyone, not just the 2 who had been wounded.

:hmm:
SH5 is to history what Star Trek is to science...it is exciting and inspiring, but eventually you have to come home from the convention, take off the pointy ears, and come to the realization that it was all just pretend and make-believe.
Schultzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 04:36 PM   #33
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy

I just got back to Pearl Harbour with 2 wounded crew men. Low and behold I had 4 promotions and 2 purple hearts to distribute. However, whilst I obviously gave them to the two men who had been wounded, nearly all the NCO's/seamen's boxes were highlighted when I was dragging the medal, so I could have given it to anyone, not just the 2 who had been wounded.

is this the stock sh4?
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-07, 04:37 PM   #34
Ansirial
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges
the reason I changed the order is because if you use the default order of

5150=Medals
5151=Navy Distinguished Service Medal
5152=Purple Heart
5153=Bronze Star
5154=Congressional Medal of Honor
5155=Silver Star
5156=Navy Cross

the game treats that as the order in which to award the medals. Try it, I did, have a 65,000 ton patrol and you will be awarded the navy cross, the crew will get multiple medals of honor and purple hearts will be given out for successful patrols. With the order that I used I havent had 1 purple heart given out, all bronze stars, and silver stars. I avg about 25,000 tons. Don't go back to the original way the game lists the medals of it will screw up the awarding of them. if you don't believe me check out the way they did it before they put in the fake medals.

Right! Because the medal are swapped, as I see in the savefiles too; in fact in the savefiles the names are exactly as fullmetaledges menu.txt, except for the navy cross swapped with the Navy Distinguished Service Medal - IMHO the order should be left as thought by the developers (before changing real medals to fake ones) because probably the criteria of assignation were correct. Take a look to the savefiles and see how the medals are assigned to the crew members.
Old 04-02-07, 01:39 AM   #35
Ansirial
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy

Yes, the number of wound badge is correct but after a patrol is hard to remember who has been wounded... Anybody remember how work the wound badge in sh3? Just to know if a wound badge is awardable only to wounded.
Old 04-02-07, 10:01 AM   #36
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0

In SH3 the wound badge was hard-coded so that it could only be awarded to wounded men. I think we have three options:

1. Assuming the wound badge is being awarded to non-wounded crewmen, lobby the devs to fix this in an official patch.

2. Change the wound badge so it becomes some other lesser award unrelated to wounds.

3. Remove the wound badge from the game altogether.

I'm for either one, but I've listed them in order of my own preference.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 01:12 PM   #37
Ansirial
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
1. Assuming the wound badge is being awarded to non-wounded crewmen, lobby the devs to fix this in an official patch.

I'm for the first one me too - even we can write down the wounded names during patrols to reward the at the end

However I hope in the future patch (together with many other bugs) this aspect will be resolved
Old 04-02-07, 01:27 PM   #38
Captain_Jack
Gunner

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansirial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery

I'm for the first one me too - even we can write down the wounded names during patrols to reward the at the end

However I hope in the future patch (together with many other bugs) this aspect will be resolved

Yes! Option One. I did the same and just wrote down who was wounded to receive a Purple Heart. If no one was wounded then no recipients.

If there are no Purple Hearts (and lets please use the proper term, not "wound badge"), then there will be no way to recognize those crew members who were wounded in the line of duty.
Captain_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 02:05 PM   #39
letterboy1
Captain

Downloads: 89

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but here is a post from Elanaiba that he made at SimHQ:

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for pointing out the error with the Thresher. Just a small missing h. Sorry about it, it will of course be corrected in the next patch.

As for the medals, belive me we would have liked to LEAVE the correct medals in the game. But, if the US Institute of Heraldry says we can't, I suppose we can't do it. Anyway, it was not our call, and in now way it was meant as making fun of the real awards of the US Navy.
EVGA GTX Titan Black
1.5 T-byte HDD
Antec 1 KW True Power Quattro PS
letterboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 06:08 PM   #40
Tigrone
Commander

Downloads: 41
I believe this is a quote taken out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterboy1
Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but here is a post from Elanaiba that he made at SimHQ:
Quote:
Guys,Thanks for pointing out the error with the Thresher. Just a small missing h. Sorry about it, it will of course be corrected in the next patch. As for the medals, belive me we would have liked to LEAVE the correct medals in the game. But, if the US Institute of Heraldry says we can't, I suppose we can't do it. Anyway, it was not our call, and in now way it was meant as making fun of the real awards of the US Navy.
I do not believe this is true. I think it is a quote taken out of context. I think it is simply a matter of not reading or not being able to read English well. The reference applies to stealing copy writteded art work and not to historical simulations or artistic work done by others based on US decorations. The depiction of US decorations is not unlawful, anymore than a depiction of the flag or a service uniform would be. It does not apply.

I've a broom at the mast said he, for the broom is a sign for me, that wherever I go, I sweep the mighty sea.
Tigrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 06:13 PM   #41
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Without knowing more I would hesitate to argue...but SH1 had the correct medals, and I never heard about them getting any trouble over it.
Old 04-02-07, 06:16 PM   #42
fullmetaledges
Chief

I would agree with the misunderstanding of the english but I would also point out that I bet everyone who works for ubisoft is double checking laws and erroring(i know it's not a word but you know what I mean) on the side of caution after the whole grumman mess with pacific fighters.
Old 04-02-07, 10:43 PM   #43
Tigrone
Commander

Downloads: 41
Pacific Fighters has US medals in it.

Pacific Fighters has US medals in it, 3 whole files of them, and so do some other Ubisoft games. There is nothing that prevents their use, as a decoration in the game.

I've a broom at the mast said he, for the broom is a sign for me, that wherever I go, I sweep the mighty sea.
Tigrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 12:14 AM   #44
fullmetaledges
Chief

I meant because of the threatened lawsuit from grumman
Old 04-03-07, 10:17 PM   #45
nimitstexan
Loader

Downloads: 14

I think our Romanian friends simply misinterpreted or misunderstood the situation regarding the medals. They may have asked and been denied permission to use them by the US Army Heraldic Institute, but I think the greater issue is there was no need to ask permission in the first place.
nimitstexan is offline   Reply With Quote