SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-08, 02:01 PM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Default Best Submarine Movie Ever!

Well, the best American submarine movie ever.

Well, the best American submarine movie made during the war.

Well, the best American submarine movie of 1943.

Well, actually it wasn't all that great, but it was a pretty good popcorn flick for the time.

"YES! It's a direct hit!

It's nineteen forty-three's biggest hit!

The thrilling and awe-inspiring technicolor epic...

CRASH DIVE!

The screen's most vivid, most graphic picturization of the breath-taking drama and heart-stirring heroism of the men who man America's submarines, and the women who wait for them! A story written in steel, and fire, and daring. Crash Dive! Blazing with pulse-pounding action! Sparkling with joyous romance! Roaring with exciting adventure! Filmed in glorious techicolor, with authentic reality, at the United States submarine base at New London, Connecticut!"

This is one I had never seen before, and I picked it up on a whim out of the $5 bin at Wal-Mart.

The Bad: A plot every bit as preposterous as U-571, about a US submarine in the Atlantic, first sinking a German Q-Ship and then sneaking into and attacking a secret German supply base in Greenland!:rotfl: Plus the usual silly subplot of two officers in love with the same girl. One fan at IMDB.com noted many similarities with the British-made We Dive At Dawn, released at the same time, which I still haven't seen.

The Good: It was filmed in 1943, at New London.

It won the 1943 Oscar for best special effects, and they are good for the time.

When Tyrone Power is skippering a PT boat, it's an early ELCO 77-footer. I loved that part.

It was said to have been filmed on USS Mackerel or Marlin, but nobody seems to know for sure.

And, when there is a shot of boats backing away from the pier, one of them is a Sugar boat!

The black steward, played by Ben Cook, gets some good lines. He's the COB's best friend and looks after his ailing chief, and also comes to the rescue of Tyrone Power in a crucial scene.

Not a great movie to be sure, but well worth watching for the period color sub and ship scenes.