SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-10, 01:40 AM   #406
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumazik View Post
HI!
I have a problem - whenever I try to switch silent running mode nothings happens, exept officer shouting "yes sir, rig for silent running". Torpedos keep being loaded and repairs keep going (silent running mode button doesn't became red) What can you advise?
Not really sure about that. Anyone else experiencing this? Any other mods installed?

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 01:40 AM   #407
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH0R View Post
Does de-acceleration, especially underwater, seem a bit too long to anyone else but me? Acceleration seems perfect on the other hand.
It's a limitation of the physics model. To slow down quicker, issue a command to put the engines in reverse.

RFB Team Leader
Old 03-13-10, 01:42 AM   #408
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Thanks. I would just like to add that the sea was calm - 0 m/s winds, on both contacts.
Thanks. I think I know what the issue is now.

BTW, I realized that my torpedo dud settings all along were based on an incorrect reading of the SIM file involved, and so I've corrected it. If you think the Mark 14 is bad now, wait'll you see it with the corrected settings! In my tests with a stationary merchant perpendicular to my bow, I've had 6 torpedoes in a row bounce harmlessly off the hull.

RFB Team Leader
Old 03-13-10, 02:00 AM   #409
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0

uh oh. I smell a lotta pain in the works for RFB'ers. Looks like I should start wearing a cap, to limit how much hair I pull out.
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 02:06 AM   #410
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
uh oh. I smell a lotta pain in the works for RFB'ers. Looks like I should start wearing a cap, to limit how much hair I pull out.
This is about the time I like to pull out the story about the Tinosa and her encounter with the Tonan Maru:

Quote:
From "Report of War Patrol of U.S.S. Tinosa (SS283)..." The date is July 24, 1943. The torpedoes are Mark-14s, with magnetic exploders intact. At mid-morning Tinosa spots an immense Japanese oiler, found later to be the 19,000-ton Tonan Maru III, the largest tanker in the Japanese Navy. It fires six torpedoes with no results. Then this excerpt from the submarine's log:

1009: Having observed target carefully and found no evidence of sinking, approached and fired one torpedo at starboard side. Hit, heard by sound to stop at same time I observed large splash. No apparent effect. Target had corrected list and was firing at periscope and at torpedo wakes with machine gun and four inch [gun].

1011: Fired eighth torpedo. Hit. No apparent effect.

1014: Fired ninth torpedo. Hit. No apparent effect. Target firing at periscope, when exposed, and at wakes when torpedoes were running.

1039: Fired tenth torpedo. Hit. No apparent effect.

1048: Fired eleventh torpedo. Hit. No effect. This torpedo hit well aft on the port side, made splash at the side of the ship, and was then observed to have taken a right turn and to jump clear of the water about one hundred feet from the stern of the tanker. I find it hard to convince myself that I just saw this.

1050: Fired twelth torpedo. Hit. No effect.

1100: Fired thirteenth torpedo. Hit. No effect. Circled again to fire at other side.

1122: Picked up high speed screws.

1125: Sighted DD approaching from the east...

1131: Fired fourteenth torpedo: Hit. No effect.

1132 1/2: Fired fifteenth torpedo. Started DD range 1000 yards. Torpedo heard to hit tanker and stop running by sound.

Had already decided to retain one torpedo for examination by base.
Now that is a bad day.

RFB Team Leader
Old 03-13-10, 02:20 AM   #411
Chumazik
Nub

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
Not really sure about that. Anyone else experiencing this? Any other mods installed?
Run silent, run deep - thats all I have.
Chumazik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 02:28 AM   #412
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52

Quote:
Thanks. I think I know what the issue is now.

BTW, I realized that my torpedo dud settings all along were based on an incorrect reading of the SIM file involved, and so I've corrected it. If you think the Mark 14 is bad now, wait'll you see it with the corrected settings! In my tests with a stationary merchant perpendicular to my bow, I've had 6 torpedoes in a row bounce harmlessly off the hull.
Well, I was just about to comment on how effective they are. Then last night I encountered large merchant, some 8000 t. Had only 5 fish aboard and fired three. One missed two hit and were duds. Since it was a long shot I decided to let her go and patrol a while before terminating the patrol. Shortly after weather got rough, and it started to rain. Heavy rain, visibility was almost nothing.

I am not sure why my radar didn't pick her up, maybe it did and I just continued with TC. Suddenly crew shouts 'ship spotted'. And there she it, not 700 yards on 35° of the port bow. I imediately call GQ, and track her. I succeded in keeping my distance and they didn't see me. Fired two last fish at her from point blank range - at large gyro, over 70°. BOTH WERE DUDS. Swell, crash dive and slip away, as I just spotted 5" guns on the deck... Awesome experience. And my first problematic (4 in row) duds in RFB.

Also, Hitman's fox patch is working like advertised. Crew reported it as soon as it came into range.

Is the patch coming up any time soon Luke? I am about to hit port soon.

Thanks for the updates btw.
Old 03-13-10, 02:57 AM   #413
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Is the patch coming up any time soon Luke? I am about to hit port soon.

Thanks for the updates btw.
Once Hitman's fixes are complete, the patch will go up for download.

RFB Team Leader
Old 03-13-10, 05:43 AM   #414
flymar
Loader

Downloads: 42

I have a question about teh torpedo type that is lighter version of Mk14 (Mk23?). Is it more reliable?
flymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 08:16 AM   #415
Galanti
Captain

Downloads: 99

Luke, is there any way to increase compressed air usage in SH4 as it is in SH5, when changing depth? Not many features at all I'd like to see ported back from SH5, but that's one of them.
Galanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 05:37 PM   #416
SteveUK
Helmsman

Downloads: 87

Hi guys wonder if someone could help me at all?

Have just installed RFB 2 on a clean install on a new PC and I'm getting all orders repeated 2 or 3 times, just wondered if I have botched my install up? any advice please and thanks.

Last edited by SteveUK; 03-13-10 at 07:25 PM.
SteveUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 02:20 AM   #417
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galanti View Post
Luke, is there any way to increase compressed air usage in SH4 as it is in SH5, when changing depth? Not many features at all I'd like to see ported back from SH5, but that's one of them.
I think it's hard-coded.

RFB Team Leader
Old 03-14-10, 02:21 AM   #418
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymar View Post
I have a question about teh torpedo type that is lighter version of Mk14 (Mk23?). Is it more reliable?
After September 1943, the only difference between the two is the Mark 23's lack of a low-speed setting. I'd only load it on your boat if you're absolutely sure you won't ever use the low-speed setting of the Mark 14.

RFB Team Leader
Old 03-14-10, 07:09 AM   #419
theguardian
Swabbie

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Once Hitman's fixes are complete, the patch will go up for download.
Thank's a lot guys. We are waiting impatiently.
I don't understand why sometimes it's working perfectly and the next time my crew is deaf.
theguardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10, 07:19 AM   #420
Bridger
Mate

Downloads: 67

Hi to all, im a RFB newbie, ive just uninstalled SH5 after finding it unplayable in its current state and am going to wait until a major patch becomes available.
Ive never really touched on SH4, as i was a big SH3 GWX fan, but ive downloaded RFB 2.0 and RSRD and decided to give the pacific a go. I just want to ask for to best mod order to enjoy this mod?, my thinking is the following :-

RFB 2.0
RFB 2.0 patch (march 6)
Fogfix patch
RSRD_RFB v575
RSRD_RFB patch.

Would this be the best mod order?, any advice would be very appreciated.

Kapitanleutnant Wolfgang Luth.
Bridger is offline   Reply With Quote