SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-13, 07:58 AM   #4156
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201
Uploads: 0

Hey im pretty new to SH4. What are the difference of this and Mods like FOTRS or RFB?
And how can i know which i should play

Last edited by SnipersHunter; 10-27-13 at 09:22 AM.
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 02:28 PM   #4157
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipersHunter View Post
Hey im pretty new to SH4. What are the difference of this and Mods like FOTRS or RFB?
And how can i know which i should play

The AI in TMO is much tougher, that is the key difference.The "stock" game, out of the box, the AI is weak, far too easy.Real Fleet Boat focuses on realism for the player submarine alone and does a great job at it overall.RFB is meant to be used in conjunction with Run Silent Run Deep mod which is a campaign mod, since the stock campaign is not historically accurate and terribly written.TMO addresses the AI so it's tougher, forcing the player to operate in a realistic manner and provide a much more fun and challenging gameplay, many other things missing in stock and other mods (ranging from radar warning receivers in later war, to ability in some subs to go below 450 feet) as well additional ships etc. TMO also includes a decent campaign.

I run TMO with RSRD(Run SIlent Run Deep) so have many additional ships, a realistic campaign etc.The downside is without tweaks, RSRD does lower the difficulty somewhat in some cases (especially in early war, since Japanese ASW was relatively ineffective in early war) but is plenty tough as war progresses thanks to TMO.

FOTRS is a good mod as well, still feels unfinished in my opinion, worth checking out.I would suggest giving TMO a run alone, then try it with RSRD.Take sa while to figure out what suits you best.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 03:54 AM   #4158
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The AI in TMO is much tougher, that is the key difference.The "stock" game, out of the box, the AI is weak, far too easy.Real Fleet Boat focuses on realism for the player submarine alone and does a great job at it overall.RFB is meant to be used in conjunction with Run Silent Run Deep mod which is a campaign mod, since the stock campaign is not historically accurate and terribly written.TMO addresses the AI so it's tougher, forcing the player to operate in a realistic manner and provide a much more fun and challenging gameplay, many other things missing in stock and other mods (ranging from radar warning receivers in later war, to ability in some subs to go below 450 feet) as well additional ships etc. TMO also includes a decent campaign.

I run TMO with RSRD(Run SIlent Run Deep) so have many additional ships, a realistic campaign etc.The downside is without tweaks, RSRD does lower the difficulty somewhat in some cases (especially in early war, since Japanese ASW was relatively ineffective in early war) but is plenty tough as war progresses thanks to TMO.

FOTRS is a good mod as well, still feels unfinished in my opinion, worth checking out.I would suggest giving TMO a run alone, then try it with RSRD.Take sa while to figure out what suits you best.
Ok so i can use RSRD with TMO too? Then i will try it
Old 10-28-13, 11:12 AM   #4159
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

Yes, just make sure you download the RSRD version FOR TMO.Should be labeled as such..
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 12:46 PM   #4160
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
TMO + RSRD: Don't leave port without them.

Good Hunting!
Old 10-28-13, 12:55 PM   #4161
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Thanks im pretty new to US Submarines (SH4). Played SH 3 and 5 a long time. But now i will try to chase the japs and sink em.
Old 10-28-13, 01:16 PM   #4162
Hernan_Cortes
Swabbie

Downloads: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
According to Ducimus, you're kinda safe at any depth greater than 90. At least we haven't lost any captains in the last week that were deeper than 90'. It's virtually safe, I PROMISE!!

Virtually safe or double your money back! What a deal!
Well, what if i collide with surface on such depth, can i get money?
Hernan_Cortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-13, 11:38 AM   #4163
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
SHO

Quote:
Bud just make sure you download the right RSRD. It is in the subsim downloads section, and don't forget the patch.
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 12:54 PM   #4164
Paladin132
Sailor man

Downloads: 61

Hello all, after playing the pure SHIV for so long I have decided to add mods and this one seems to be the definitive mod. I have two questions:

Where do I find the deck gun mod to put my gun o the back deck?
How do I tell if it has installed correctly with JSGME after it launches?

Thanks.
Paladin132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 01:19 PM   #4165
neilbyrne
Torpedoman

Downloads: 31

Paladin,

If you open up the TMO mod folder, you'll see a folder for documentation in which is a folder titled "Optional mods". The aft deck gun mod is in there.

It's been a while since I just ran TMO unaugmented by other mods so I can't remember if it alters the intro page or like that. One thing for sure, on the plot, TMO replaces the ship symbols with a black grease pencil dot so when you first start your patrol if the ships in harbor with you are on the plot as dots and not ship symbols, TMO is working.
neilbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 02:58 PM   #4166
Paladin132
Sailor man

Thank you! That fixed the deck gun... I guess TMO isn't working then. I used the mod installer but the grease pencil markings are not there, just the standard ones - and all my torpedoes are actually functioning. JSGME says 1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2_5 and TMO_Aft_deckguns are activated.

Any suggestions? Could I have possibly done something wrong with installing JSGME?

Edit: I may have found the problem in another thread. My install is in the x86 program folder. I have it and a steam version, and was using the one in the x86 folder as I read the steam one wouldn't work (and doesn't patch beyond 1.4 I guess) but I moved and now I am having trouble finding my SH disk. (Didn't realize I was missing ALL my physical media DVDs and CDs until now).

Is there a away around the x86 issue?

Last edited by Paladin132; 12-31-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 04:48 PM   #4167
neilbyrne
Torpedoman

I just did a clean install myself after reading the thread about not installing in the 86 programs folder. I installed off a disc tho not from Steam.

The only thing I can think of on JSGME is to make sure you install JSGME into the SH4 master folder and activate it from there. If you activate it from a screen short cut, it will look like it's putting it in, but it's not.

Also with TMO you need the TMO Small patch which fixes a command progression bug. Without it, if you have a TAMBOR Class boat and get offered a new command it actually regresses you back to a SALMON rather than ahead to a GATO or BALAO. Here's the link for that:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3506

Good luck.
Old 01-01-14, 10:50 AM   #4168
Paladin132
Sailor man

Ok, turns out I had the installer in the wrong place. Fixed. Now I am out at the Marshall Islands and have been here from December 15th or so to January 1... No contacts. No new assignment when I report in, and no reports of convoys or ships. Should I be worried?
Old 01-01-14, 01:12 PM   #4169
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
Ok, turns out I had the installer in the wrong place. Fixed. Now I am out at the Marshall Islands and have been here from December 15th or so to January 1... No contacts. No new assignment when I report in, and no reports of convoys or ships. Should I be worried?
What year?
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-14, 01:21 PM   #4170
neilbyrne
Torpedoman

I got sent to the Gilberts and Marshalls in Fall of '43 and it was pretty dead; nothing but a few small coastal freighters. In fact I spent almost a game month patrolling and saw nothing but some air patrols.