SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-13, 06:41 PM   #4111
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0
Default BEACHED!!!????

I ran into a very strange 'burp' in SH4 that I have never seen before. I don't know who to ask for help, so I'll try here.

First - here are the mods presently enabled:
RadioStationManager V1.2
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
IJN_Radar_Fix_for_TMO2
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Underwater Fix
Black Spiderw + Rg circles-standard

Background:
Started this campaign, Pre-Pearl Harbor, Based in Manila, in a Sargo-Class sub. Went through the usual changes of bases and submarine upgrades until I changed base to Brisbane where I was given the Gato-Class 'Flying Fish' (USS-229). Ran two successful patrols in Flying Fish, amassing two Navy Crosses, then was offered 'New Construction', which I accepted. I was given command of 'Tambor' (USS-198). New Construction? By this time (may, 1943), I was also Full Captain (four striper).

Well, not being much for complaining (and not being able to do anything about it anyway), I headed out near the end of May, 1943. I did an extended patrol lasting all of 90 days, including several re-loads at Tulagi. I returned to Brisbane at the end of August, 1943, where I was awarded yet another Navy Cross. This patrol scored just over 60K tons (including two tankers, a small warship, several sampans and a bunch of merchants).

Imagine my surprise when the next screen said: "The department of the Navy has begun retiring your current class of submarine from front line operations. Noting your less-than-notable performance, the US Navy Bureau of Personnel has decided to mothball you along with the ship."

I GOT BEACHED!!!??? 60K tons on a single patrol is considered mediocre???

Records show:
USS Tambor was commissioned 3 June, 1940, retired from combat service 30 Nov., 1944 and decommissioned 10 Dec., 1945.

I did try re-loading my last gamesave (re-fuel at Tulagi returning to Brisbane), but the same thing happened.

Color me chagrined, and indeed HUMILIATED!

Anybody have an explanation???

PS: I've already started out on a new campaign (in an S-Boat, Manila). I just want to know what happened.
Old 06-29-13, 12:16 AM   #4112
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
.. I was given command of 'Tambor' (USS-198). New Construction?
This seems odd, giving you an older Tambor class boat after you had a Gato. The Tambors were in service at the outbreak of war.

Quote:
Ouch! I can see why you are confused and unhappy.

I don't have any idea why/how your career got derailed, but judging by the Tambor business, it may have gone haywire some time ago. How much renoun did you have when you were retired? I know Ducimus made it difficult to retain command after you had a large number of patrols.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 05:23 AM   #4113
airsangel
Loader

Downloads: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
I ran into a very strange 'burp' in SH4 that I have never seen before. I don't know who to ask for help, so I'll try here.

First - here are the mods presently enabled:
RadioStationManager V1.2
TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
RSRDC_TMO_Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
Fixed Zero Bomb Load RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
IJN_Radar_Fix_for_TMO2
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Underwater Fix
Black Spiderw + Rg circles-standard

Background:
Started this campaign, Pre-Pearl Harbor, Based in Manila, in a Sargo-Class sub. Went through the usual changes of bases and submarine upgrades until I changed base to Brisbane where I was given the Gato-Class 'Flying Fish' (USS-229). Ran two successful patrols in Flying Fish, amassing two Navy Crosses, then was offered 'New Construction', which I accepted. I was given command of 'Tambor' (USS-198). New Construction? By this time (may, 1943), I was also Full Captain (four striper).

Well, not being much for complaining (and not being able to do anything about it anyway), I headed out near the end of May, 1943. I did an extended patrol lasting all of 90 days, including several re-loads at Tulagi. I returned to Brisbane at the end of August, 1943, where I was awarded yet another Navy Cross. This patrol scored just over 60K tons (including two tankers, a small warship, several sampans and a bunch of merchants).

Imagine my surprise when the next screen said: "The department of the Navy has begun retiring your current class of submarine from front line operations. Noting your less-than-notable performance, the US Navy Bureau of Personnel has decided to mothball you along with the ship."

Records show:
USS Tambor was commissioned 3 June, 1940, retired from combat service 30 Nov., 1944 and decommissioned 10 Dec., 1945.

I did try re-loading my last gamesave (re-fuel at Tulagi returning to Brisbane), but the same thing happened.

Color me chagrined, and indeed HUMILIATED!

Anybody have an explanation???

PS: I've already started out on a new campaign (in an S-Boat, Manila). I just want to know what happened.
hello there....

make sure right after installing tmo 2.5 install tmo 25 small patch before anything else
airsangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 08:02 PM   #4114
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Good point.
Old 06-30-13, 12:52 AM   #4115
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsangel View Post
hello there....

make sure right after installing tmo 2.5 install tmo 25 small patch before anything else
I didn't realize there was a 'tmo 25 small patch'. Subsim hasn't been keeping me up to date with the posts as it once did. Have to check if I'm still subscribed. Thanx for the tip. I'll get it and install it for next campaign. I kinda wanna see if it 'burps' on me again.

TORPEX: This seems odd, giving you an older Tambor class boat after you had a Gato. The Tambors were in service at the outbreak of war.
Yeah, that's why the question mark after 'new construction'? Seemed a little odd.
Records show:
USS Tambor was commissioned 3 June, 1940, retired from combat service 30 Nov., 1944 and decommissioned 10 Dec., 1945. Sold for scrap in 1956

NSS_Tambor.upc file says: UnitInterval= 1940-06-03, 1946-12-11
so the boat was still in service when I was commanding, and remained in service after I was beached. Strange glitch to be told my boat was being mothballed.

From WikiPedia: Tambor began a routine peacetime patrol in late November 1941 and was off Wake Island when hostilities with Japan broke out. However, she was forced to return to Pearl Harbor with one engine out of commission. Routed back to Mare Island, where the damage was repaired, the submarine returned to Pearl Harbor in March 1942.

The USS Tambor was in the war from the very start, and remained in the war until almost the end. It was used for training from Dec., 1944 until decommissioned. Maybe I'm sentimental, but I always thought it insulting to sell one of our gallant grey ladies for scrap.

Good Hunting!
Old 06-30-13, 01:13 AM   #4116
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsangel View Post
hello there....

Look what I found in the description of 'tmo 25 small patch':
This patch removes the bug that would give the player a TAMBOR class submarine as an upgrade to a new command from a GAR, GATO, or BALAO class boat.

Now I know. Thanx for the tip airsangel
Old 06-30-13, 03:53 AM   #4117
airsangel
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dodger View Post
Look what I found in the description of 'tmo 25 small patch':
This patch removes the bug that would give the player a TAMBOR class submarine as an upgrade to a new command from a GAR, GATO, or BALAO class boat.

Now I know. Thanx for the tip airsangel
anytime : )
Old 06-30-13, 08:10 PM   #4118
TorpX
Silent Hunter

That nails it.
Old 08-07-13, 10:59 AM   #4119
bandit484
Medic

Downloads: 523
SHO Replenishment

I think it would be cool if we had the option of being able to replenish with just fuel or with fuel and fish. Sometimes after a long patrol you might need just a little bit more fuel to insure that you can get back to base but don't want to load up on torpedoes, at least not until you get back to base. I think this ability would add a little more realism to the simulation.
bandit484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 11:29 AM   #4120
iyiskipper
Seaman

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit484 View Post
I think it would be cool if we had the option of being able to replenish with just fuel or with fuel and fish. Sometimes after a long patrol you might need just a little bit more fuel to insure that you can get back to base but don't want to load up on torpedoes, at least not until you get back to base. I think this ability would add a little more realism to the simulation.
called "MilkCows" and there is a mod for it in sh3 not sure if there is
for sh4.. if not, that would be a nice idea.

the way it works is basically a resupply ship at sea that you can dock with
rather then spending days trying to get back to base while almost on empty.

it would be nice to have as a seperate mod but "likely not" as it would
change the mission files and conflict with all other mods & has to made threw
mission editor so the maru mod developer would have to add it.
Old 08-16-13, 07:08 AM   #4121
jdkbph
Captain

Downloads: 104

Hi All. Haven't posted for a while... haven't actually played this game in years, but decided to reload and give it another spin. I do have a question about cameras in TMO... something I probably knew about and how to fix but have long forgotten. It has to do with cameras.

While I appreciate the added challenge of not having the out of the box ability to see everything in the game world by hitting the next unit key, I do prefer the view itself... where the camera rotates around your sub using the mouse, rather than the free camera thing where you have to fly it round with the arrow keys. Does anyone know how to restore that?

Thanks

JD
jdkbph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 04:27 PM   #4122
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyiskipper View Post
called "MilkCows" and there is a mod for it in sh3 not sure if there is
for sh4.. if not, that would be a nice idea.

the way it works is basically a resupply ship at sea that you can dock with
rather then spending days trying to get back to base while almost on empty.

it would be nice to have as a seperate mod but "likely not" as it would
change the mission files and conflict with all other mods & has to made threw
mission editor so the maru mod developer would have to add it.
What possible justification could there be for adding a "feature" that had no real life existance. If you want Milk Cows, just change your options to unlimited fuel and you've got the ultimate Milk Cow.

A defining fact in the US submarine war was that the Pacific was huge and there were no gas stations. Change that and you might as well just fire up an arcade game, not a simulator.

Even if Ducimus were modding he wouldn't consider your idea.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 06:19 PM   #4123
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Underway again in TMO 2.5

I pronounce myself fully recovered from an unfortunate computer self-destruct sequence and SH4 is up and running again for the first time since November 2011. I can't even remember how to go from low range to high range fathometer! I'll get things figured out.

I was even able to resume my last mission and sank a couple of sampans with 40mm AA, I never shoot at planes anyway.

Hey, did Ducimus remove course plotting ability in 2.5? I could also have some incompatibility between my save game file, done in a lower version, probably 1.8.

Whatever, I'm really glad to be back on the water and looking forward to finding and actually catching some targets here in the Slot at Guadalcanal. I'm going to sit off the beaches and ambush as they unload because shooting at 30 knot shallow draft targets is such a low percentage proposition. Wish me luck. If they see me I'll need it.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 12:05 AM   #4124
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I've got TMO so tweaked I don't recall, but just glad to see you back.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-13, 02:12 AM   #4125
airsangel
Loader

welcome back