SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-10, 08:19 AM   #391
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carve View Post
Hi, I have just started my 5th patrol and have yet to come across a single vessel. What am I doing wrong?
First off-Welcome Aboard!

Are you playing stock or do you have any mods enabled like GWX?

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 08:39 AM   #392
Carve
Watch

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
First off-Welcome Aboard!

Are you playing stock or do you have any mods enabled like GWX?

Thanks very much!

I am playing with GWX mod
Carve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 08:42 AM   #393
sharkbit
The Old Man

Check to see if you have the Black Sea and/or Indian Ocean mod enabled. If any of those are enabled, you won't find any ships in the Atlantic/North Sea/Med. Those mods remove ships from those areas.

“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
Old 02-09-10, 08:48 AM   #394
Carve
Watch

Im sure I have at least one of the those mods enabled. Many thanks
Old 02-09-10, 09:19 AM   #395
Carve
Watch

Quote:
Check to see if you have the Black Sea and/or Indian Ocean mod enabled. If any of those are enabled, you won't find any ships in the Atlantic/North Sea/Med. Those mods remove ships from those areas.

Hi,

Would I just have to move it from the JSGME enabler? Also will I have to restart my career? Thanks for your help!
Old 02-09-10, 10:13 AM   #396
sharkbit
The Old Man

You should be able to disable the mod using JSGME.

I would think that as long as you do it while in port(as with most mods)you won't have to start the career over.

Old 03-08-10, 06:05 PM   #397
komoss
Nub

I'm a total newb at subsim games and I just started playing SH3. Can someone tell me which ones of the GWX3 mods I should have activated? Right now everything is turned off.

Also, is there a mirror for the Silent Hunter III Community Manual ?
komoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 08:06 PM   #398
sharkbit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by komoss View Post
I'm a total newb at subsim games and I just started playing SH3. Can someone tell me which ones of the GWX3 mods I should have activated? Right now everything is turned off.

Since you're totally new to subsims, I would suggest playing stock for a little bit to get a feel for the game. When you get bored with stock(which probably won't take long ), then give GWX or one of the other super mods a try.

To answer your question though, start out with just basic GWX, maybe with light harbor traffic(helps load times), and then just start experimenting with the additional mods out there. Everyone has their favorites. That is one cool thing about this game-you can flavor it with mods to taste.

Welcome aboard!

Old 03-09-10, 12:44 AM   #399
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:

Welcome, komoss!

If you mean the mods that come with the GWX install, the one that I personally wouldn't want to play without now that I've tried it is the Integrated Orders one. It makes a lot of tasks just a little bit quicker and easier to get to. I had it enabled when I first started using GWX, and then I did a complete reinstall and forgot to re-enable it... boy did I miss it until I turned it back on.

But as sharkbit said, YMMV on all of the mods available, so take his advice and try them out one by one to see what you like. There is detailed information on all of them in the GWX manual.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 03:23 AM   #400
komoss
Nub

Quote:
Since you're totally new to subsims, I would suggest playing stock for a little bit to get a feel for the game. When you get bored with stock(which probably won't take long ), then give GWX or one of the other super mods a try.

To answer your question though, start out with just basic GWX, maybe with light harbor traffic(helps load times), and then just start experimenting with the additional mods out there. Everyone has their favorites. That is one cool thing about this game-you can flavor it with mods to taste.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks! Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Welcome, komoss!

If you mean the mods that come with the GWX install, the one that I personally wouldn't want to play without now that I've tried it is the Integrated Orders one. It makes a lot of tasks just a little bit quicker and easier to get to. I had it enabled when I first started using GWX, and then I did a complete reinstall and forgot to re-enable it... boy did I miss it until I turned it back on.

But as sharkbit said, YMMV on all of the mods available, so take his advice and try them out one by one to see what you like. There is detailed information on all of them in the GWX manual.
Allright, thanks!

I've noticed SH3 is very buggy though.

For example, while doing the Naval artillery training mission, I sunk all 5 boats and yet "Sink all merchant ships" objective said incomplete.

While doing the Flak Artillery mission I shot down a bunch of airplanes and it said mission complete, but when I pressed Escape to end mission and go back to the main menu it says "No exam yet". Hmm.
komoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 09:47 AM   #401
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Thanks! Will do

Allright, thanks!

I've noticed SH3 is very buggy though.

For example, while doing the Naval artillery training mission, I sunk all 5 boats and yet "Sink all merchant ships" objective said incomplete.
IIRC there are more than 5 ships available to sink. Some can get quite far off while you're busy sinking the ones that are closest to your starting position. I had trouble determining exactly which ships were the "required" ones and which were there for "bonus points." I solved this problem by sinking everything I could find, lol. (Or I might be remembering the torpedo exam, it's been a while. But I think it's the same ships for both exams.)

Quote:
While doing the Flak Artillery mission I shot down a bunch of airplanes and it said mission complete, but when I pressed Escape to end mission and go back to the main menu it says "No exam yet". Hmm.
I didn't play much stock before GWX so I don't know if there's anything buggy in the Academy setup or not... but I know there are two options when you load one of the Academy tutorial "missions" - Training or Exam. They're at the top left of the screen. Make sure you've selected Exam before you click Start, or your performance won't count as your Exam score because the game will consider it a training run-through. (I think Training is the default). You can redo the Exam so it's not like you're stuck with whatever score you get the first time.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 10:24 PM   #402
mchl
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 10

Quote:
I would also like to know this. Did anyone save it?
mchl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 08:19 AM   #403
Wilhelm Groß
Nub

Downloads: 30

Found this link to the sh3 community manual.
http://alexbret.perso.cegetel.net/in...etting_Started
Wilhelm Groß is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 03:47 PM   #404
Bittenfeld
Swabbie

I feel like such an idiot for asking this. I don't think I have played a game that has had me banging my ahead against the desk like SH3.

How do you keep from crashing when leaving Kiel harbor and going through the Kaiser Wilhelm Kanal? I have started a career mode five or six times, starting in 1939 with 1st Flotilla. I open the Navigation Map and zoom all the way in so I can see the docks clearly. I plot a course VERY CAREFULLY from my starting location, around the docks and through the Kanal. While it would be so much easier just to click the other side of my Kanal as the final location and let my genius navigator figure out that the submarine cannot go over land, fine, I accept that I have to do the job and plot every point through the Kanal. On top of that, I have to stand on the bridge and make sure that the submarine doesn't run into any bridge pillars or, most annoying of all, stretches of land that don't appear on the map.

I know there are "Kiel Outbound" and a "Kiel Inbound" pre-plotted courses but the former charts a course eastward through land and into the Baltic region. I can only imagine that this is one of the GWX 3.0 mods because I haven't changed anything.

Sorry for sounding snappy but this is really infuriating. The Navigation tutorial did not prepare me for this at all. Please, someone tell me what I am doing wrong because this game is making me feel stupid!
Bittenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 12:44 PM   #405
BlkGhost
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
Default Gramophone/Morale

Just wondering...Does playing the gramophone increase crew morale?
BlkGhost is offline   Reply With Quote