SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Which version of TSWSM are you looking forward to?
Version 1 156 20.77%
Version 2 79 10.52%
Version 3 29 3.86%
Version 4 77 10.25%
All of them 488 64.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 751. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-09, 01:51 PM   #391
SilentAngel
Mate

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Might be helpfull to contact lurker about atlantic convoy activity, his OP is pretty close I think.
Running silent,running deep,sink into your silent sleep
SilentAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-09, 02:09 PM   #392
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAngel View Post
Might be helpfull to contact lurker about atlantic convoy activity, his OP is pretty close I think.
I did last night, the convoy thing is resolved just waiting for the ships to be converted and skinned

EDIT: To allow players to start in port(more like real life) I have either completely removed or limited the amount of harbour trafic. This is so your computers do not take a major FPS hit while in port.

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Last edited by ivank; 03-30-09 at 06:20 PM.
ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 02:39 AM   #393
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivank View Post
If anyone can/wants to help us, here is a list of what we need:
-Voices for German, American, British, Australian, Japanese, Russian, French, Itlaian, Swedish, and Norweigen. *Just German, American, British, Australian, and Japanese need to be done soon*
Before we start with voices let's 1st find out if it is possible at all to have multiple languages installed simultaneously. I'm not saying it's impossible, but noone seems to have had any success yet doing this.
As for German voices, someone has already made those by copying the SH3 voices. Look here.
Also, if multiple languages turn out to be possible, I wonder if Swedish is a real addition as the Swedes were neutral throughout all the war. I recommend Dutch voices instead, as the Dutch navy has fought quite a lot in WW2 (especially in the far east - ever seen the photo of the destroyer disguised as a tropical island?). Also our submarine service was very advanced, we used snorkels and wolfpacks long before the kriegsmarine did.
DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-09, 02:01 PM   #394
ivank
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
Before we start with voices let's 1st find out if it is possible at all to have multiple languages installed simultaneously. I'm not saying it's impossible, but noone seems to have had any success yet doing this.
As for German voices, someone has already made those by copying the SH3 voices. Look here.
Also, if multiple languages turn out to be possible, I wonder if Swedish is a real addition as the Swedes were neutral throughout all the war. I recommend Dutch voices instead, as the Dutch navy has fought quite a lot in WW2 (especially in the far east - ever seen the photo of the destroyer disguised as a tropical island?). Also our submarine service was very advanced, we used snorkels and wolfpacks long before the kriegsmarine did.
Having mutilple installs would be great!
I thought that since all the voice packs are for submarines, we should have one for surface ships.
I'm not sure why I said Swedish, but I think the Dutch navy is in TSWSM v5: Minor navies add-on

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 03-31-09, 02:56 PM   #395
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Code:
[CrewMember 1]
ID= NR
NameDisplayable= John Brunner
CrewMemberNameIDLinks= NormalUSNames,CommonUSNames
DateOfBirth= 1920-11-05 
Head= 2                    
Voice= 2
Tatoo= 1
Rank= NR3rdClass
CurrentExperience= 0
Qualifications= NULL
SpecialAbilities= NULL
It seems that CrewMembers.upc determines from what folder the voices are used... that'd mean multiple languages in one install are possible! coz it'd be... well... not really ehm.. sensible to have a different install for every playable navy of TSWSM
what I mean is you create different crewmembers for every country and assign them all different folders (like US crew Voice=1, GB crew Voice=2, DE crew Voice=3 and so on)
It's getting late here in holland so I don't have time now, but tomorrow I'll test if this works.
Old 03-31-09, 04:52 PM   #396
ivank
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
Code:
[CrewMember 1]
ID= NR
NameDisplayable= John Brunner
CrewMemberNameIDLinks= NormalUSNames,CommonUSNames
DateOfBirth= 1920-11-05 
Head= 2                    
Voice= 2
Tatoo= 1
Rank= NR3rdClass
CurrentExperience= 0
Qualifications= NULL
SpecialAbilities= NULL
It seems that CrewMembers.upc determines from what folder the voices are used... that'd mean multiple languages in one install are possible! coz it'd be... well... not really ehm.. sensible to have a different install for every playable navy of TSWSM
what I mean is you create different crewmembers for every country and assign them all different folders (like US crew Voice=1, GB crew Voice=2, DE crew Voice=3 and so on)
It's getting late here in holland so I don't have time now, but tomorrow I'll test if this works.
Okay sounds good, tell me how it goes

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 04-04-09, 06:17 PM   #397
polyfiller
Weps

Downloads: 40

Quick update: HMS Warsite playable working (fixed the turret texture problem).

Currently converting the Hood.
polyfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-09, 09:07 PM   #398
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30

Hmm. Just did a search on this thread-multiplayer possibilities have not been discussed here it seems. If each type of ship requires a different set of modded files that would pretty much ruin any multiplayer action, right? What if there was a multiplayer version of the mod, with each ship occupying one original submarine slot (including the German ones)-how many ship types could be run on a MP server at one time then?
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-09, 02:28 PM   #399
polyfiller
Weps

While I can't confirm what we will commit to in terms of MP capability, I can confirmed I have performed a quick test with MP "coop" i.e. two players on same side controlling BB's against a large surface fleet.
Old 04-06-09, 02:35 PM   #400
ivank
The Old Man

Polyfiller, send me your work when you have a chance.

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Old 04-06-09, 04:36 PM   #401
polyfiller
Weps

Ivan - did you get the previous PM with most ships (upto, but not including Hood & Warspite) ?

I'll upload new version to you tonight / tomorrow.

Have got the Hood working - trouble is I can't finish the AA nicely - the converted model has rocket launcher thingies and quad vikers MG mounts hard modelled onto the ship model itself.... so we can't place working AA there.

Sledge, Darkfish - don't suppose you're upto changing the Hood model ? - the rocket launchers need removing and turning into weapons in their own right. As a minimum they could be removed and we can add suitable alternative AA for now (thinking double 20mm in place of the vickers and a quad pom pom for the rockets). We could then work on creating the other weapons.... at least means we can sort out turret locations and get more AA working. As it stands, I'm short of suitable AA mounts on the hood to be playable via F7.

Also ... with these converted SH3 models ... I've had to disable a texture to prevent the ship being invisible. There are also no "bump" maps.

Does anyone know how to add bump maps ? I read the tutorial, but I don't know whether or not to include them within the .DAT file (embedded image) or make them external, if so, how to configure that in the .DAT ?
Old 04-07-09, 09:15 AM   #402
DarkFish
Sea Lord

If it's not too much work I could delete the rocket lauchers and MG mounts. I'm not sure if I've got time for any extensive 3d editing as I'm currently editing the V&W model (just look at the bridge of the original model, the bridge surface floats above the sides!) In other words, it depends on the model, and especially how the turrets are modelled onto it.

Ivan, the flower is almost finished now. It took a little longer cause the hydrophones wouldn't work. There seems to be a new problem with the AI sub though but I haven't looked into it yet. I'll mail the flower to you once I'm finished.

As for the speech, I can't get it working. The crewmembers randomly choose a folder to use sounds from and I can't force them to use the sounds from one folder.
Old 04-07-09, 06:08 PM   #403
polyfiller
Weps

Darkfish - OK, thanks for the offer. Just removing the fixed models will be fine... we can model working versions of them later (I may even have worked out how to use GMAX by then).

I'll post up complete ship pack (including Hood & Warspite) tomorrow ... was going to do it tonight ... but in the process of merging Warspite & Hood into the main mod folder ... I decided to do a remap ID's on the Warspite (couldn't remember if I'd done it first time around). Made a mistake somewhere. Golden rule number one broken ... backup before changing ...

Off to do 100000 liines for myself ... do a abckup first ... do a backup first .... do a backup first. Reckon I lost about 2 days work. Recovered most of it (from some partial backups) ... but need to do all the turret rotation restrictions again in the .SIM file. Grrr. I hate myself.

On the up side ... I managed to work out a way to make a magazine zone take down the whole ship if it's destroyed (the magazine) ... which I figure is realistic. Look out for some slightly larger and easier to destroy magazines on the hood.... blows up nicely (but unfortunately we can't get it to break in two). I fanyone's curious as to why I've had to invent a way to do this, the line Critical=Yes in the zones.cfg for a zone only applies to AI controlled ships ... does nothing for human controlled.... so I've come up with another way around this.

Created a test mission in real bad weather with 15 m/s wind and rain... switched to external and admired the hood (with reworked physics) sailing towards me in the storm .... looked sweet.
Old 04-07-09, 07:24 PM   #404
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

one thing guys...we need to figure out how to make our ships neutral, or stealthy.

i have an idea!
okay, when you are submerged, the enemy ship cannot detect you.
when you fire upon it, it starts evasive maneuvers, when it detects torpedos, or when you fire a deck gun.
therefore, lets try... to make a ship submerge, without submerging!
think about it. have like, a 3d model, a pixel, an ultra tiny fish, SOMEthing, that would pop out under the hull, and it would be our submerged submarine, while the visual representation of the ship, deckguns and all, stays on the surface...
i dunno, i think it wont work, but its a valid idea
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-09, 07:31 PM   #405
ivank
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer427 View Post
one thing guys...we need to figure out how to make our ships neutral, or stealthy.

i have an idea!
okay, when you are submerged, the enemy ship cannot detect you.
when you fire upon it, it starts evasive maneuvers, when it detects torpedos, or when you fire a deck gun.
therefore, lets try... to make a ship submerge, without submerging!
think about it. have like, a 3d model, a pixel, an ultra tiny fish, SOMEthing, that would pop out under the hull, and it would be our submerged submarine, while the visual representation of the ship, deckguns and all, stays on the surface...
i dunno, i think it wont work, but its a valid idea
i dont know if im just tried or what, but i have no idea what ur getting at

U-105 IXB On Patrol 1