SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-06-08, 06:12 AM   #3991
Horsemann
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thermowedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnibonian
Why does this needs to be corrected?

Their behaviour seems perfectly reasonable to me. They know you're there and they try to keep you down until more boats or planes arrive. What's wrong with that?
So well guys. But what for then to waste time and skill on game if any active actions are doomed to a failure? To leave without damages from bombs of destroyers and all the same to remain without hope. But why they so well find me on any depth? There should be a thermowedge. Why in GWX the thermowedge is not realised?
I can hope only that the next days there will be a storm with a fog and rain.
It is probable, so german submariners felt, perishing with belief in the victory. But, seemingly, they were not so long successful.

Horsemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 08:59 AM   #3992
Threesixtyci
Torpedoman

Downloads: 20

I just bought SH3 a couple of days ago... http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...8574583&sr=8-2
The menu screen shows 1.4 on the bottom... no b. Tried to install 1.4b, but wouldn't let me, so I'm going to assume it's the same thing.

I've been search the net for mods. And figured I give this one a try.

I was going to just download the torrent file for GWX2.1 listed in that download page...
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
listed as:
GWX2.1 Torrent File: Here

When I clicked "Here".... I only recieved an error messages about not finding the file... check bla, bla, bla.

Figured it would just be easier just downloading the torrent, The 2.0 one seems to work, but after looking around some of those mass download sites that are listed on the webpage, or should I say, redirected to.... I found this: http://files.filefront.com/GWX21+tor.../fileinfo.html

As you may have guessed.... when I started this post, I was still finding stuff.... and editing before hitting submit....

So, in short I guess this post in really nothing more than, a broken link notice....
Maybe I just caught the webpage in between edits or something.... or it is an actual overlooked linking typo...

-----------

Hmm, now that I look at the 2.1 contents of that torrent... It's just an update and not the whole thing.... Guess I'll have to download 2.0 anyway... but regardless that link *is* broken on the web page...

Here's a question, though... is everything included in those two torrents or do I have to download more stuff.... Like maybe that Late war sensor mod? Which according to the manual.pdf, needs to be manually installed and uninstalled thru GME? I mean there is quite a bit of stuff in here: http://hosted.filefront.com/JimbunaGWX2

Pretty much everything above GWX2.1.exe on that link are missing in those two torrent files... I can only guess that they are compressed in those bin files. I'll be awhile before my PC can download the 1.something gigs worth of torrents....maybe 18-24 hours.

Can really tell that a lot of effort was put in this mod just by the .pdf alone... I imagine if you really wanted to; you could probably sell it. Worked for Hitiles and F4:AF, anyway... And is pretty much how Falcon4: Allied Force came about, to begin with. They bought the rights to Falcon 4, though, to do it.... or so I've read.

Last edited by Threesixtyci; 12-06-08 at 09:41 AM.
Threesixtyci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 10:24 AM   #3993
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemann
So well guys. But what for then to waste time and skill on game if any active actions are doomed to a failure? To leave without damages from bombs of destroyers and all the same to remain without hope. But why they so well find me on any depth? There should be a thermowedge. Why in GWX the thermowedge is not realised?
I can hope only that the next days there will be a storm with a fog and rain.
It is probable, so german submariners felt, perishing with belief in the victory. But, seemingly, they were not so long successful.
Well I think the frustration of not being able to shake the destroyers makes you upset but I don't think you're correct in your arguments. Let's tackle one thing at the time shall we?

The thermal layer issue has been discussed in the past and including it fully is not possible since it is not included into the original game engine. Furthermore if you try to edit stuff in order to fully include it you will end up breaking other stuff. In other words it's a matter of compromise so that the game is as playable and enjoyable as possible.

On the issue of the allied tactics now. There are well tested methods to escape the destroyers (even in 1945) but it is true that it becomes more and more difficult as the war drags on. For example you can run silent, you can go deep, you can zig-zag and above all you can try to keep your profile (cross-section) to the allied sonars as minimal as possible. There is a very good guide on the GWX Manual for this topic.

The whole idea of GWX is to be a fun game that is as realistic as possible within the limitations of the game engine. Never forget though that it is a game and that the whole idea of it is to be functional and stable. That might mean that some areas are a little bit more or less fine tuned than others but this is where the game engine limitations come into play.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer now
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 10:36 AM   #3994
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Late in the war, you will have a very difficult time.

However, if you make good decisions, you can still survive. It is not impossible.

In all fairness though, you must adapt to GWX. GWX itself, will not adapt for you to simply make things easier.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 11:49 AM   #3995
Horsemann
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
SHCommander & thermowedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnibonian
Well I think the frustration of not being able to shake the destroyers makes you upset but I don't think you're correct in your arguments. Let's tackle one thing at the time shall we?

The thermal layer issue has been discussed in the past and including it fully is not possible since it is not included into the original game engine. Furthermore if you try to edit stuff in order to fully include it you will end up breaking other stuff. In other words it's a matter of compromise so that the game is as playable and enjoyable as possible.

On the issue of the allied tactics now. There are well tested methods to escape the destroyers (even in 1945) but it is true that it becomes more and more difficult as the war drags on. For example you can run silent, you can go deep, you can zig-zag and above all you can try to keep your profile (cross-section) to the allied sonars as minimal as possible. There is a very good guide on the GWX Manual for this topic.

The whole idea of GWX is to be a fun game that is as realistic as possible within the limitations of the game engine. Never forget though that it is a game and that the whole idea of it is to be functional and stable. That might mean that some areas are a little bit more or less fine tuned than others but this is where the game engine limitations come into play.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer now
Thanks, i am trying...
I found some interesting about SH3Commander...
"There is one good piece in utility SH3 commander. It can casually set the maximum depth on which devices of detection of the opponent will function. By default there are 300 metres. But in a kind of that this size can be established casually you will never know on which depth thermal sources will be simulated. You will simply know that they are. Each time starting SH3 through SH3 commander, the utility will establish new depth on which you can be found out . Thereby, you as though set constantly varying thermal levels which do not give to the opponent of possibility to find out you."
Unfortunately success will not reach yet, I have not found this option in SH3Commander. There is only "Randomise U-Boat crash depth".

Last edited by Horsemann; 12-06-08 at 03:01 PM.
Horsemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 12:54 PM   #3996
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

HELP!!

My HDD that had my OS took a dump and I have had to reinstall everything. Luckily I still have my HDD that had GWX 2.1 and all the files.

Question: I have SH3 Commander 3.1 installed but the files I need to get it to work with GWX seem to be missing from my HDD?? And none of the links I click on from the GWX webpage seem to be working.

Where can I get these?

EDIT: OK I found the file on KptLehmann's filefront list. BUT it downloads as GWX_2[1].0_cfg_4_SH3Cmdr.7z what the hell is a .7z file and how do I install it into my SH3Commander/cfg folder?

Last edited by Faamecanic; 12-06-08 at 01:02 PM.
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 03:13 PM   #3997
meduza
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemann
Thanks, i am trying...
I found some interesting about SH3Commander...
"There is one good piece in utility SH3 commander. It can casually set the maximum depth on which devices of detection of the opponent will function. By default there are 300 metres. But in a kind of that this size can be established casually you will never know on which depth thermal sources will be simulated. You will simply know that they are. Each time starting SH3 through SH3 commander, the utility will establish new depth on which you can be found out . Thereby, you as though set constantly varying thermal levels which do not give to the opponent of possibility to find out you."
Unfortunately success will not reach yet, I have not found this option in SH3Commander. There is only "Randomise U-Boat crash depth".
There is no such an option in SH3commander, but the Thermal layer is always simulated if you run the game with it. You just don't know at what depth the thermal layer is.
AFAIK, the real u-boats didn't have the equipment for measuring sea temperature, so the real kaleuns also didn't know where the thermal layer was. But it was there nevertheless.

meduza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 12:48 AM   #3998
Threesixtyci
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic
HELP!!
EDIT: OK I found the file on KptLehmann's filefront list. BUT it downloads as GWX_2[1].0_cfg_4_SH3Cmdr.7z what the hell is a .7z file and how do I install it into my SH3Commander/cfg folder?
.7z can be unzipped with winrar.
Just need to DL a copy of it.... if you haven't got it already...
Winrar...I mean. http://www.rarlab.com/

Last edited by Threesixtyci; 12-07-08 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 05:12 AM   #3999
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixtyci
I just bought SH3 a couple of days ago... http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...8574583&sr=8-2
The menu screen shows 1.4 on the bottom... no b. Tried to install 1.4b, but wouldn't let me, so I'm going to assume it's the same thing.

I've been search the net for mods. And figured I give this one a try.

I was going to just download the torrent file for GWX2.1 listed in that download page...
http://www.thegreywolves.com/index.html
listed as:
GWX2.1 Torrent File: Here

When I clicked "Here".... I only recieved an error messages about not finding the file... check bla, bla, bla.

Figured it would just be easier just downloading the torrent, The 2.0 one seems to work, but after looking around some of those mass download sites that are listed on the webpage, or should I say, redirected to.... I found this: http://files.filefront.com/GWX21+tor.../fileinfo.html

As you may have guessed.... when I started this post, I was still finding stuff.... and editing before hitting submit....

So, in short I guess this post in really nothing more than, a broken link notice....
Maybe I just caught the webpage in between edits or something.... or it is an actual overlooked linking typo...

-----------

Hmm, now that I look at the 2.1 contents of that torrent... It's just an update and not the whole thing.... Guess I'll have to download 2.0 anyway... but regardless that link *is* broken on the web page...

Here's a question, though... is everything included in those two torrents or do I have to download more stuff.... Like maybe that Late war sensor mod? Which according to the manual.pdf, needs to be manually installed and uninstalled thru GME? I mean there is quite a bit of stuff in here: http://hosted.filefront.com/JimbunaGWX2

Pretty much everything above GWX2.1.exe on that link are missing in those two torrent files... I can only guess that they are compressed in those bin files. I'll be awhile before my PC can download the 1.something gigs worth of torrents....maybe 18-24 hours.

Can really tell that a lot of effort was put in this mod just by the .pdf alone... I imagine if you really wanted to; you could probably sell it. Worked for Hitiles and F4:AF, anyway... And is pretty much how Falcon4: Allied Force came about, to begin with. They bought the rights to Falcon 4, though, to do it.... or so I've read.
I can categorically assure you the links (both the torrent and FF ones) from my account DO WORK.

The server is up 24/7 and is monitored daily.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-08, 10:28 AM   #4000
Threesixtyci
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlisa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storabrun
I noticed there are some duplicate ships in the ship recognition manual.
Those are lit & unlit merchants or neutral versions of the same ship.

Got to have a page for each individual ship folder or the relevant page in the recog manual will be blank.
Are the first entry the lighted/neutral, or is it the second duplicate entry?

Ive noticed the dual entries in the rec manual; and figured it would be best to search first then ask. A Thread search resulted in the quote above...

I imagine the draft difference could be a minor hang-up for setting torps to go under the keel, that's why I'm asking....

---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
I can categorically assure you the links (both the torrent and FF ones) from my account DO WORK.

The server is up 24/7 and is monitored daily.
Something may be wrong on my end, but in the Download section, the link that looks like this:

GWX2.1 Torrent File: HERE

Didn't re-direct me to anything. And if I right click and do a Save as, Windows Explorer gives me an error box saying: "Internet Explorer cannot download. THe system cannot find the patch specified."

Last edited by Threesixtyci; 12-07-08 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-07-08, 12:48 PM   #4001
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Looks like the link on the GWX Homepage is broken.

Here is the link from my FF account:

http://files.filefront.com/GWX21+tor.../fileinfo.html

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Old 12-07-08, 04:22 PM   #4002
Thinlizzy262
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 11

Hi chaps. Im new to the forum so please bear with me!

I am a big fan of SH3 but have had number years off from Uboats. Now I'm back I really am excited bout GWX.

However I have had a few problems. The most notable one at the moment is that the games starts in a window that can't me maximised! I have tried to set it to full screen within the game and Im told that when I restart the game it will load in a full screen. However it still runs in a window which makes it very annoying.

I beleive that I have followed the installation instructions correctly,my OS is Vista

(This is actaully my third install, my first did not have such problems)

Any help would very grateful

Thanks!
Thinlizzy262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-08, 02:37 AM   #4003
Threesixtyci
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna
Looks like the link on the GWX Homepage is broken.

Here is the link from my FF account:

http://files.filefront.com/GWX21+tor.../fileinfo.html

Apologies for any inconvenience.
No problem, really. I did manage to find it a while later after that post. The same link that you just left, in fact. I had edited the post several times; you probably just missed it.

It's about 5 double skip line, paragraphs in...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threesixtyci

I got it all working, now.
-----------
As for the merchant ship duplicates and their mismatched stats;
These are the difference that are on my install; after the 2.1 mod patch.
(from what I noticed of my one trial run with the 2.0 version, it had less mismatched data; think I only saw Draft variences in 2.0. The Mast height difference of 2.1, are what are worring me a bit.)

Large Tanker:
1st: Mast= 26.8, Draft=11.9
2nd: Mast=28.0, Draft=11.7

Small Tanker
1st: Mast=26.5, Draft=5.1
2nd: Mast=27.4, Draft=4.8

Medium Cargo
1st: Mast=25.6
2nd: Mast=24.5

Small Merchant
1st: Mast=22.4
2nd Mast=22.6

Tramp Steamer
1st: Mast=23.2, Draft=6.8
2nd: Mast=24.1, Draft=6.6

Motor Vessel
1st: Beam=5.2, Mast=11.0, Draft=2.5
2nd: Beam 5.0, Mast=11.3, Draft=2.1

Tugboat
1st: Mast=21.4, Draft=4.6
2nd: Mast=21.5, Draft=4.5

The differences may not really matter much... but then again... they are there.
I've also noticed that on a few of them, the main picture's line scales can vary greatly from what is listed as Mast height in text form. I forgot to write down which one it was on my notes, but the picture I'm thinking of showed something like 20 for the mast, and the text was closer to 30. Which kinda makes it hard to figure out what to aim for when sighting in the range of that one ship; at least, for me.

As for seeing what gets checked off by the AI, right now the watch officer checks off the second ship... but my campaign is still before the war. Heh. Took me a while to figure out why, too. A good 3 hours.... Didn't know that this mod change the start date... I thought my game was broken there for a while, until I finally noticed the date was August, instead of September.

I'm guessing that the watch officer will start checking off the first entries once the war starts. Eh...I don't plan on disabling him anyway. So, I guess I'll just let the AI identify the targets. (even though a .5-2m difference probably won't effect hit/miss calculations by much.... it still a bit worrism to me, when a known unknown factor is in play like this.)
Old 12-09-08, 03:19 AM   #4004
Lovemaker
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Just a quick Q: I have SH3 Commander v3.1.3.185 (the latest one) and have downloaded GWX+SH3C compartibility file from Kpt. Lehmann's Filefront, but it reads it's for v3.0.7 of SH3C.
Is it compartible with the latest one I have?
Old 12-09-08, 05:23 AM   #4005
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemaker
Just a quick Q: I have SH3 Commander v3.1.3.185 (the latest one) and have downloaded GWX+SH3C compartibility file from Kpt. Lehmann's Filefront, but it reads it's for v3.0.7 of SH3C.
Is it compartible with the latest one I have?
Yes