SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-22-22, 06:22 PM   #361
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0

they film a lot of the day after around my home town remember us kids riding bikes out to watch them film and Jason Robards talking to us and giving autographs just watch the movie if a full blown nuclear exchange pop your feet up light up a good smoke pour yourself a shot
Old 04-28-22, 01:29 PM   #362
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post

Nice hiss.

Spoon solo at 17:15
Forgot to mentioned these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004JT7F...g=dotdash21-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EEIPO...g=dotdash21-21

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 03:56 PM   #363
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 03:56 AM   #364
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

The problem with The Big Bucket 'O Food packages is that you're supposed to normally eat your way through them prior to restocking. If the Big Bucket features a sturdy weather resistant sealed top, that makes it a pain to open so the Big Bucket winds up in a closet, garage, or basement where it eventually turns into the Big Bucket 'O Biology Experiment.

I try to keep it simple.

Small- Easy to grab and store.

Sealed and Shelf Stable- Can be stored at room temperature for extended periods while also being portable and easy to open.

Pre Cooked- All you have to figure out is how to open the container, cutlery and plates are optional. So is a camp fire.

These are normally not foods for the health conscious, they often contain high levels of salt/sodium and animal fats plus preservatives but you should be able to choke down a small can of Spam or Vienna Sausages or a Hormel Ready To Eat meal once a month with no damages while you replenish/rotate your stock.

Something that usually goes unrecognized- that lowly tin of Sardines.
Canned sardines packed in oil can be stored for YEARS with no hassles. You are also getting a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals. Kippers (canned smoked sardines) actually benefit (IMO) from getting stored on the shelf for several years, their flavor mellows out a bit.

Things I would avoid in survival foods-

Nuts or oily seeds. The oil WILL go rancid sooner than you would think. If you stashed a bag of TRAIL MIX on the shelf, make sure you pick out all of the nuts and seeds before it gets too old. Dried fruit and grain will hold up nicely in dry conditions, rancid nuts and seeds will quickly turn the entire bag into garbage.

ANYTHING which includes directions such as "Simply boil in the pouch for 35-45 minutes", as an example. Think this stuff through, you might have time to build a camp site and a latrine, you might find a source of clean water, why are you wasting all of it to build a Sous Vide kitchen?

One last note to ponder- Are you sure you need that camp fire? Building a fire takes time and effort. It also acts like an open invitation to anyone who is cold, hungry, or alone. While I strongly believe in getting a group together to maximize your odds, maybe its better to figure out the situation before you put down those roots.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 07:07 AM   #365
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

A good canned food does not include preservatives - because it does not need them.

Sodium content is no concern, that is a modern health myth, and it kills people by the hundreds of thousands every year. In North America and Europe, in the times before electricty and refrigerators, people ate 80, 100, 120 gr of pickling salt, we know of regions on both continents where these daily doses of salt reached as high as 200 gr over the day. We have however no historic records indicating that this caused cardiovascular health problems in the population of pandemic or even just small proportions. Nothing. By modenr beleives, all thes emillions od people should have died of their diet. They haven'T, and the rise in cardiovascular deseases and high blood pressure happened just later: when salt was reduced and industrially processed food and sugars and plant seed oils (=Omega 6) started their victory parades.

We are talking emergency here. In emergency, eating is a necessity, and is about intake of energy - not about taste, not about longterm health. While we should watch fructose and glucose syrups and sugar levels in our normal food (the less of these the better), in emergencies some sugar is wanted, especially if you have no fats to eat.

Cans have one problem, that is the protective layer inside them that prevents them from corroding, these can bring BPA (bisphenol-A) into the food. In times of emergency, this is no concern, but if oyu store cans in larger quantity for years and years, you may want to rotate them frequently, have the old ones sorted out and replaced with new ones. Cans that are deformed and have bumps and bulges, should not be bought or should be sorted out, the protective layer could be broken inside and then the tranmsission of BPA into the food is speeded up. In some countries like france BPA-cans are banned since some years, and replaced with cans using alternative materials to protect against corrosion. Whether these work better in the long run and cause no health issues, is unknown, since we have no longterm experiences yet.

Fish in cans does not suffer from worth to be mentioned loss of Omega 3 and Vitamines! Believe it! Canned fish is roughly as healthy as fresh fish! I am not kidding you. Thjt makes especially fatty fish an ideal food to can and stockpile. High nutriton value. Do not buy cannef fish ion plant see oil, but always in "own juice", which means: salty water and only the fish's own fat. They use supercheap oil for fish-in-oil cans, and these oils are so bad that they are not suitable for getting consumed by humans.

Vegetables in good quality cans have not been boiled, but have only been shortly blanched, they are so soft and creamy not because they were boiled too long, but because they had months and years to pick up moisture from the liquid in the can. Such vegetables have comparable ammounts of vitamines as "fresh" vegetable from the supermarket's grocery table. That is because they get processed much faster and have much less time for oxidation processes. The same phenomenon is known from deep-frozen vegetables: these often have MORE vitamines than the vegetable you buy "fresh"! Its all about how long it takes to process the stuff and how long it is exposed to the air and has time to oxidize. Frozen and canned food has the advantage in this regard as long as you do not harvest the stuff in your garden and immediately process it in your kitchen. That of course would be the ideal. And costs much time and work (for the gardening work).

Date stamps on cans is for national legal regulations exclusively, and serve no further purpose. Cans, if intact, can last for decades! No kidding, decades. Thats why in some countries they even have no date stamps anymore on cans.

Eating is affecting morale and mood. If there is an lasting emergency, and the stuff you live of gives you additional hard time to even just swallow because it tastes so "well", this is not helpful to keep the spirit high. So try and test which canned foods you like and which ones not while the times are still peaceful and relaxed - and then stockpile these only. Learn which food works well for getting canned, and which food does not, tastewise.

I've been systematically testing my way through the local offerings for over a year, and from that experience I'll say this: anything that's boiled down watery, thin, marketed as soup with chowder: Hands off. Soups with noodles, canned pasta, ravioli: hands off. Canned meat can go completely wrong but also work amazingly well, but only if it's a bit more high-priced than the usual canned stuff, otherwise it's not much meat and the can has the typical hated "canned flavor" we're all rightly disgusted by. What works very well, even tastes partly to my surprise very tasty, are creamy boiled down stews: pea soup, potato stews, lentil potato dishes. In Germany, the various potato pots of Erasaco, bean pots. These all benefit mostly from a little seasoning with savory (Bohnenkraut!!!), marjoram, pepper. I must confess: I can't get them any better by hand, unbelievable but true.

Absolute no-goes: canned ravioli, and chicken soup with noodles, roulades. Even the dog throws up.

I have many cans of tomato soup (Heinz), bihun soup, and additional soups stored next to the other canned goods, along with lots of millet. Millet doesn't cost much water to cook, unlike pasta, contains fiber, nutrients, is versatile to use savory and sweet, and super storable. Along with psyllium husks for thickening, this increases the variety of my canned supplies.

There are also some manufacturers who offer very good sauerbraten and goulash in cans. But you have to try out which brands are good and which are not. Some taste pfui-bah, others have only water and far too little meat content. For Germany, I could recommend the company Werner Simon, really good meat content, and taste okay, mild, but good, a little too mildly seasoned maybe, but they always do this mild taste, because they do not want to anger their many different customers, so the taste must be universal and not too crass. You can season it yourself with chili, pepper, and some spices. Simon offers both gulash and sauerbraten in three different preparation variations.

If you do it right, cans much better than their reputation. You just have to do a little trial and error beforehand to learn what works and what doesn't.

Some foods like corn and tomatoes benefit from their canned storage by improving their micronutrient levels! This has been known for a long time.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-13-22 at 07:30 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 08:50 AM   #366
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Could not find it anymore Some month ago while searching for survival food (kits) I found a German homepage where you could buy a 90 days survival kits.

Markus

Old 06-13-22, 10:39 AM   #367
Skybird
Soaring

Such kits usually are overpriced, I found. Do your own collection.

For the worst, and as a last line of defence if other food of ypours has run out: NRG-5.

Crates with bottled water. As many as you can store. Of water you never can have enough.

Diversify you options to run a fire for cooking, as long as you dare cooking (safety from crime). One can imagine situations when one doesnot want to attract attention from lighting a fire. Gas cartridges, fuel, gasoline, wood, coal, if you have options to use any fuel you may stumble over, thats not bad.

Oats, rice, hirse: Wastes no water, like boiling potatoes or noddles would. Long storage if stored dry, and cool.

Canned bread. Other cans, as previously described.

Honey, unlimited shelf life.

When things are desperate and the going gets too tough for you: Liqueur. The poor man's cyancali pill.
Old 06-13-22, 11:25 AM   #368
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Water!?

Remember an article some weeks ago in a Swedish newspaper.

Collect enough water for 10 days* and it has to be bottle water not water from the-forgot the word-Since this is not sanitary.

* 10 Days !! Hmm if the society collapse it would take more than 10 days to get it up and running again-If worst case scenario should happen-Well then you need to store water for the rest of your life.

Edit
Forgot something
Maybe they take an overprice for their products-But it can reach until 2033/4 and it contain the thing you need on a daily basis...So in this case I would say, with my little knowledge that these survival food kits are good-Not 100 % perfect thou.
End Edit

Markus

Old 06-13-22, 01:17 PM   #369
Skybird
Soaring

Katadyn Micropur Forte MF 100F opills or drops keeps your water sterile for weeks and months. It suse don expeditions, in desaster relief and military operations.

Superfind24 water bags 15l or 30l allow you to store clean water once you filled them up. They are sealed against light. As long as you see no emergency coming you can store them folder and empty, takes no space.

You need water to drink and cook. For cleanignb and hygiene, you can keep wet one way washcloths like they are beign used in hospitals. Count 1.5l per day, per person. In real desaster situaitons of cours eoyu will also be able to livwe ithl,ess. But water is the top priority, next protection against cold or even freezing temps. - And just then comes food. You can live for days without food, if need be. But not without water.

The manufacturer of those waterbags has a longtime test running, and has stored some such waterbags in the garden, exposed to all seasons, sunlight, falling dirt,. weather, ice. SINCE TWO YEARS. Frequent checks show the water still is clean and has drinking water quality. You just have to be sure you have extremely clean conditions when filling them, up from the tab.

Get water bottles made of of glass and with metal caps, not PVC caps or bottles. Take water with intense sparkling, the gas has an additional desinfecting quality. Store in cool places, and protected from light, especially direct sunlight.

Everybody should prepare according to his free space where he can place stuff, and his financial possibilities. Evberybody should do what he can according to his living conditions.

DO NOT TRUST THE STATE TO HELP YOU OUT if things turn nasty. It will not because it cannot if the deasaster is affecting the whole country/continent and is not just regional, local, minor.

Better be early or excessive than sorry.

Do like our grandparents all did: run a stockpiling regiment. Rotate your supplies. The old supplies are used up and replaced immediately with newer ones. Like in the supermarket shelf: take away from the front, refill from the back. Simple. Effective. Logical.
Old 06-17-22, 03:24 PM   #370
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Old 06-17-22, 03:37 PM   #371
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ nah, all made-up fake news.
Nothing to do with climate.
Or maybe.
But then only a bit.
But even if, humans are not responsible.
Science is bad.
Planets are abundant in the universe, but earth's economy is unique.
Don't change, billions of more humans wil tackle the problem.
But there is no problem.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-22, 03:39 PM   #372
Skybird
Soaring

Aliens. Its those damn aliens. First the cow mutilations, now this.
Old 06-17-22, 03:58 PM   #373
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Aliens. Its those damn aliens. First the cow mutilations, now this.
I am a foreigner here on earth, so please no insults. We need your water, not cows

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-22, 10:27 PM   #374
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Or maybe.
But then only a bit.
Science is bad.
But there is no problem.

I hear it's real dry in the Sahara desert too.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 04:26 AM   #375
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Or maybe.
But then only a bit.
Science is bad.
But there is no problem.
IMO what makes this an issue is not climate change or unbelievers of science. But man’s feeble attempt to control nature. We thought if we could just build dams and water reservoirs in the desert. Then we can build cities and monuments to ourselves in a desert and pat ourselves on the back for our ingenuity. We built pretty green golf courses and towns people can now populate the desert by the millions each watering their own little green acre they created in the desert. They thought living in a desert was good idea but you need a lot of water if you’re going to live in a desert. No matter how much we decorated the desert it’s still a desert though. Now when all the water we collected in the desert dries up. Instead of admitting how stupid it was to build in the desert we blame it on climate change?

In other places I would see modern homes built along river banks. But behind them on top of the hills were homes built in the 1700’s. These modern homes along the river bank had an awesome view but were sometimes destroyed by floods. As for those homes built on the hills they’re still standing going on for almost three hundred years now. Vanity will get ya every time

Last edited by Rockstar; 06-18-22 at 05:00 AM.

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival