SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-10, 11:24 AM   #346
Ablemaster
An able master

Downloads: 121
Uploads: 5

Nice one, getting better and better, good news for us who like to use your UI's, Cheers
Old 04-14-10, 11:50 AM   #347
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
just finishing up with the Radioman

- send weather report (game recognizes command but doesn't do anything - hopefully will be fixed by devs as it's also a valid command in the commands file)
- report nearest radio contact
Neat about the send weather report. Wonder what it does though?

Also, is a radio contact like the single ship and convoy things? Might this be a way of getting a time stamp for single ship contacts?

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 12:00 PM   #348
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Neat about the send weather report. Wonder what it does though?

Also, is a radio contact like the single ship and convoy things? Might this be a way of getting a time stamp for single ship contacts?
good question. Hopefully someone can figure this out if they ever get one. I know the command works just haven't seen it do anything (like get a report out of it). I just keep getting "No radio contacts" in my message box
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 12:39 PM   #349
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
- send weather report (game recognizes command but doesn't do anything - hopefully will be fixed by devs as it's also a valid command in the commands file)
I think the Send Weather Report command if objective orientated.
i.e. Doesn't do anything unless BDU specifically ask's for a weather report when planning an air strike in your patrol area.
I also recall this command has not worked since SHIII.

All I have ever seen Report Radio Contact do is give direction and range of land based radar with the exception of U-Boat Addon for SH4. Once in a while U-Boats could get Bearing and estimated Range of enemy ships using thier radio.

BTW, here is a Screen Capture of the updated Hud3.dds Nav Tools.

It also shows my weak 850 Meter Bearing Plotter.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire

Last edited by TheBeast; 04-14-10 at 01:27 PM.
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 03:53 PM   #350
Nauticalwolf
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 89

Quote:
1) did you ensure you didn't 'write' over the pattern running torpedo dials? They are located on the left side of the TDC but not visible. They were supposed to show up when you got pattern runners but there appears to be a game bug that prevents this. In lieu of this I've added a button that one can click to show these missing dials.

2) looked at it with menu editor and materials are valid and alphas aren't disabled so the c++ code must be turning it's visibility to 'off'. You could edit the associated .py file for this:

(this example is based off of the stock Page attack periscope.py):
Code:
def InitializeScript():
    Menu.PageActivated += Menu_PageActivated
    Menu.PageDeactivated += Menu_PageDeactivated
    Menu_PageActivated( Pageattackperiscope )

def Menu_PageActivated( page ):
    if page == Pageattackperiscope:
        Pageattackperiscope_Waterlevel.Visible = True
        for item in Pageattackperiscope_Waterlevel.Controls:
            item.Visible = True

def Menu_PageDeactivated( page ):
    if page == Pageattackperiscope:
        Pageattackperiscope_Waterlevel.Visible = False
        for item in Pageattackperiscope_Waterlevel.Controls:
            item.Visible = False

def UnloadScript():
    Menu.PageActivated -= Menu_PageActivated
    Menu.PageDeactivated -= Menu_PageDeactivated
that should show the old style water level when the page is activated.

3) and 4) need more pictures and/or information as I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do.
Many, many thanks for that.

1. I had also moved the Pattern runing torpedo controls, but wasn't aware that they require a "switch" to activate.

2. I'll give the code a try. Intent is to to add to both obs and atk periscope views. The alpha channel is good and by the hieght of the water level it appears to be registering a "quantity" from somewhere. I need to just see it where I want it first, then make adjustments.

3. Here is a picture of a telegrapgh that I saw on Reapers WIP UI mod.
I think it looks great but I doesn't appear to be dynamic. I have made my own graphic and "attached it to the dial hand (New val). It now moves as a telegraph should. When you select the new throttle setting the little handle moves there first and then the dial hand follows. Problem is it doesn't scale up when you zoom in, and even the dial hand it is attached to stays at the same small size. I can't figure out how the change to the graphic has "broken" the scalling?

4. I'm trying to achieve different looking "stands" for each of the dials and cant figure out why it always reverts to just initial graphic. I have adjusted the cropping area for each "toggle" but they all just revert to the same one

Again many thanks for your knowledge and wisdom.

We're here to protect Democracy - not practice it!
Nauticalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 04:26 PM   #351
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticalwolf View Post
3. Here is a picture of a telegrapgh that I saw on Reapers WIP UI mod.
I think it looks great but I doesn't appear to be dynamic. I have made my own graphic and "attached it to the dial hand (New val). It now moves as a telegraph should. When you select the new throttle setting the little handle moves there first and then the dial hand follows. Problem is it doesn't scale up when you zoom in, and even the dial hand it is attached to stays at the same small size. I can't figure out how the change to the graphic has "broken" the scalling?

4. I'm trying to achieve different looking "stands" for each of the dials and cant figure out why it always reverts to just initial graphic. I have adjusted the cropping area for each "toggle" but they all just revert to the same one

3) instead of creating a new hand and attaching it to the new value, if you substitute what you want the new value to be (graphic wise) then everything should work (scaling, etc.). Since the new value will be a 'needle' that has a handle with it. Make sense? Open the menu editor and look what the graphic used for new value is - make that be what you're trying to do above (give it the correct .dds and crop settings). Because I do animations on the dials you would have to edit all the animation code and all to make the way you're trying to do work - it's not worth it. The easier way is to replace the new value with what you want.

4) It reverts to just initial graphic because the underlying control is a button. The button has 4 materials (not selected, selected, mouse over, ?? - and probably not in that order). Because these are game (c++) controlled, the game isn't updating the VisibleBitmapIndex property of those buttons. What I would do: ensure that each dial's button's materials crop settings are staggered. What was crop settings for material #2 of dial #1 is now crop settings for material #1 of dial #2. What was crop settings for material #3 of dial #1 is now crop settings for material #1 of dial #3. See what that gets you. Basically you don't want the same crop settings for any material of any dial. Material #1 != Material #2 != Material #3 != Material #4 for any dial and Material #1 dial #1 != Material #1 dial #2 != Material #1 dial #3, so on and so forth for the other materials.
Old 04-14-10, 04:53 PM   #352
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104

Okay, it's official. I'm just stupid.

I have tried 5 times following this novel (first post) over the last three weeks to install the '3 dials' and I still have never figured it out.

Is there a "3 dials for dummies" version?

Honestly... I am incapable of figuring this out.

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 05:02 PM   #353
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHub532 View Post
Okay, it's official. I'm just stupid.

I have tried 5 times following this novel (first post) over the last three weeks to install the '3 dials' and I still have never figured it out.

Is there a "3 dials for dummies" version?

Honestly... I am incapable of figuring this out.

start clean. Unzip the mod to your desktop. Then start following the directions here:

see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=276

you're wanting the SH3Style.

now open up the folder you unzipped to your desktop. Keep opening up folders till you get to a folder called MODS. Right click on that and select copy. Navigate to your \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\ folder and right click on an empty space and select paste. Enable via JSGME.
Old 04-14-10, 05:03 PM   #354
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
start clean. Unzip the mod to your desktop. Then start following the directions here:

see here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=276

you're wanting the SH3Style.

now open up the folder you unzipped to your desktop. Keep opening up folders till you get to a folder called MODS. Right click on that and select copy. Navigate to your \Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\ folder and right click on an empty space and select paste. Enable via JSGME.
Thank you Sir, trying now.

Old 04-14-10, 05:28 PM   #355
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Darkwraith;

Congratulations. You have done what very few are capable of in this world.

You have bridged the gap between genius modder and the code-clueless happy submariner type and made SH3 dials possible.

Working great. Thank you so much.

Old 04-14-10, 05:42 PM   #356
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156

Something interesting just happened. See if you can re-create it.

In All Dials, SH 3 Mode, on the surface, go to the conning tower and raise the scope. While you are looking through it right click on any of the crew icons and see what happens.

Might just be my install...

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 05:50 PM   #357
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Channing View Post
Something interesting just happened. See if you can re-create it.

In All Dials, SH 3 Mode, on the surface, go to the conning tower and raise the scope. While you are looking through it right click on any of the crew icons and see what happens.

Might just be my install...

JCC
that sounds like the infamous right click bug It's fixed in upcoming version and somewhere in the first 2 pages of posts for the thread there's a fix for how to get out of it. But one must ask, why are you right clicking them? I'll try it out.

EDIT: I'm using v1.2.0 so I can't get what you report to repeat so I'm thinking it's the infamous right click bug. When you say any of the crew icons you mean the officer icons right?

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 04-14-10 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 05:56 PM   #358
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
this is not meant as criticism but in interest of feedback to help improve the mod:

i havent seen it mentioned anywhere (maybe im the only one who uses english guages to play a german sub game) but the english guages arent even close to reading anything correctly. they are different guages and therefore dont line up with the settings as they should.

the speeds are in a reverse image and need to be flipped for a mirror image (green to the left and red to the right) so forward is really forward

the speeds settings are also incorrect for the guage being used (zero depth is around 25 meters?) so maybe the german depth guage images should be used for the english version as well since both use meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Screenshots?

you can just look at the files to see the images, the zero on the speed guages are in different places (US is straight down 6 o'clock where german is around 8 o'clock position) so that throws the calibration off. (maybe the german speed guage should be used for the american english one too)

the engine telegraph is also backwards and has the same missalignment issue because forward is on the left side for german but the right side for american but again its an image alignment calibration thing as above.

i dont know photo shop well so i dont know how easy it is or even IF it can be done but reversing the images im guessing will bring everything to its proper place to line up again for the american english guages telegraph

Last edited by Webster; 04-14-10 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 06:31 PM   #359
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticalwolf View Post
Here is a picture of a telegrapgh that I saw on Reapers WIP UI mod.
In my Mod the Dial handle is Assigned to NewVal while the inner dial Needle is assigned to CurVal.
This way you select speed as normal with the telegraph handel and the inner needle rotates from its current position to your selected position.
Works nice in game compared to the needle been attached to the handle - had tried it that way first.
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-10, 06:43 PM   #360
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156

Quote:
that sounds like the infamous right click bug It's fixed in upcoming version and somewhere in the first 2 pages of posts for the thread there's a fix for how to get out of it. But one must ask, why are you right clicking them? I'll try it out.

EDIT: I'm using v1.2.0 so I can't get what you report to repeat so I'm thinking it's the infamous right click bug. When you say any of the crew icons you mean the officer icons right?
Officer icons.. right.

What happens is that you are still seeing through the periscope but the sub sails away from you.

As to why I was right clicking... well, let's not rule out stupidity out of hand!

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dbrn, favorite, new ui