SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-13, 04:24 PM   #346
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen Ritter View Post
Thanks, Jimbuna!

Actually, I'm an old member of the site, from way back. However, my computer died about 2 years ago, and I couldn't remember my username, so I made up a new one.

I am currently in the first patrol, on Aug. 4, 1939, and have just passed the Shetland Islands. I had a beautiful target, last night, and couldn't shoot because the Brits and Germany weren't at war, yet. But I still did a standard approach for practice. Got to within 500 meters of a large tanker, waited until the AOB was 90 degrees, and then "fired". I'm sure that my crew was ticked at me ...

BTW, I'm using the Grey Wolves 3.0 ...
SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 01:21 AM   #347
nattai
Swabbie

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galmo View Post
Hi all,
I'm new here and wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this thread. I'm running on windows 7 also now, with a resolution of 1920x1200. I had an old copy from when SH3 was first released that I wanted to play again.

Just to reiterate for anyone else that might still be having problems with the resolution on windows 7, because this is something I missed the first few times trying these solutions for some reason, even though it has been repeated several times by people here:

Even though you want to run the game at a higher resolution like 1920x1200, you still have to set your windows desktop resolution to at least 1600x1200 in order for the game to start without errors. It will change the resolution up to what you want as long as you set it correctly in the cfg files as stated in this thread. Seems the key for me was finally getting it through my thick skull that I needed to start in a 4:3 aspect ratio, hehe.

Thanks again all!
Hey all. I don't want to labour this point too far, but am having trouble with launching SH3 in Windows 8, and I think the issue is one of resolution, so just wanted to check I have things right.

So I set the desktop resolution to a native 4:3 resolution, such as 1600x1200, set the game resolution in the cfg file to...that same resolution? Then it should launch ok?

Currently the game crashes when loading the map, with one little sliver of the download bar remaining. However, strangely, I can load all the sub school missions. Which doesn't make much sense to me

But many thanks on any clarifications offered
nattai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 02:04 AM   #348
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattai View Post
Hey all. I don't want to labour this point too far, but am having trouble with launching SH3 in Windows 8, and I think the issue is one of resolution, so just wanted to check I have things right.

So I set the desktop resolution to a native 4:3 resolution, such as 1600x1200, set the game resolution in the cfg file to...that same resolution? Then it should launch ok?

Currently the game crashes when loading the map, with one little sliver of the download bar remaining. However, strangely, I can load all the sub school missions. Which doesn't make much sense to me

But many thanks on any clarifications offered
if you can load and do the school missions then i don't think it could be resolution (in fact i don't think the game would run if it was resolution related). do you have any mods activated if so can you list their order? do you have the 4GB patch?
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-13, 02:27 AM   #349
nattai
Swabbie

Downloads: 61

Ah, I wasn't aware of that 4GB patch. Just applied it and it has loaded for me, so many thanks

Perhaps the game was hanging and crashing when trying to load all the objects in a career patrol? I don't know, but it did seem to fix the issue, so thanks again

Hmm, on further testing it still seems to often crash on load up. Was just lucky a few times in a row when I tested it before. Very strange.

As for mods I only have GWX, OLC MKiic, MKiid patch, ACM Reloaded and ACM lite installed, but its not a conflict there. When I remove all the mods in JGSME I still get the issue. Bah!

Last edited by nattai; 05-10-13 at 06:25 AM.
nattai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-13, 01:51 AM   #350
sooo cold
Swabbie

Downloads: 3

I have the 3D engine can not initalise problem too
WIN 7, dropping to 600x800 is my only solution. Crazy
sooo cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-13, 12:07 PM   #351
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

what graphics card do you have?
Old 05-28-13, 07:45 PM   #352
sooo cold
Swabbie

WinFast GTX 560 Ti on WIN7 SP1 64 bit
I just tried, without success the 4GB and high res fixes too. I have to run it at 800x600 res to get it to work
Old 05-28-13, 08:32 PM   #353
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

so not even using the game resolution of 1024x768? thats weird might be one or more of your graphics card settings. that or the graphics card itself...
Old 05-29-13, 12:06 AM   #354
sooo cold
Swabbie

Don't you think it maybe the game considering all the problems people are reporting. I've not a problem with any other games concerning resolution.
It doesn't put me off playing, I am just wonder if it wouldn't look even better at higher resolution.
Old 05-29-13, 12:23 AM   #355
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Normally though it is fixable as something is overlooked. The thing that gets me is your card seems to be modern enough these problemes should not be happening. I know when i first installed my issue was that I had not switched the card to auto switch with aplication and would not initialize the 3d engine.

Also some cards (and systems for that matter) do not want to run older games. Mind you i was working entirely off of your card type. There are about 4 differnt win 7 versions, 6 or so if you count 32 and 64 bit versions, no idea what RAM... and yes it could just be the game which in of it self has 2 different versions alone starforced and non-starforce. this is one of the big problemes with computers not everybodies system is the same so it can make helping people more difficult.

anyways yeah i think the game looks better in its higher resolution which without painstakingly modding for widescreen is 1024x768
Old 05-29-13, 03:13 PM   #356
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

What path is your SH3 installed under? If you installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86), you can encounter access control issues, especially when running mods. It's best to install the game to its own folder on the root directory. IIRC the installer defaults to Program Files (x86).
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 04:24 PM   #357
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
What path is your SH3 installed under? If you installed in Program Files or Program Files (x86), you can encounter access control issues, especially when running mods. It's best to install the game to its own folder on the root directory. IIRC the installer defaults to Program Files (x86).
Yes, better to have a secondary drive to install everything to.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 05:21 AM   #358
sooo cold
Swabbie

I'll give that ago and report back. I have a SSD c drive and a HDD d drive. I'll install into the d root.
Old 05-31-13, 07:34 AM   #359
Silamon
Watch

Downloads: 29

I recently installed Silent Hunter 3, but I am having some issues getting it to run correctly.

The game starts up just fine and lets me load a mission, but when I try to leave the sub's command room to use the periscope or free view the screen becomes extremely blurry and the water is black, not sure if its an issue with windows 7 or if its a graphics card issue.
My pc has 1.8 ghz processor, 2gb ram, graphics card is Geforce 6150SE Nforce 430 with 256 mb dedicated memory.

Is it an issue with graphics card or windows 7? or something else?
Silamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-13, 02:35 PM   #360
Silamon
Watch

Downloads: 29

Got it working now
Silamon is offline   Reply With Quote