SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-08, 04:36 AM   #346
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Hum, been blown up twice east of Aberdeen by what I suppose are mines It only happened down at 30 metres or so, not at periscope depth :hmm:

According to the extensive research done by the NYGM guys, the british east coast minefields had been deactivated by 1945, but have you kept them?
Old 07-06-08, 04:48 AM   #347
germannoob
Sailor man

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

I thought, it was possible for V200 of OM to make it from beginning of "Operation Paukenschlag" to end of war (at least end of Monsum Operations)? Is this still possible with V301? 'Cause I don't want to make it to "Kaleun" to end the carrier and begin the next mini campaign. But the readme suggest another thing.

XVIII from SH3 imported? The Type XXI was within SH3. SH4 uses XVIII. The XXI and XVIII have mostly the same construction. XXI have had big batteries while the XVIII have had the "Walter Antrieb". At least, I thought so.

Very awesome work!
germannoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 07:34 AM   #348
TitaniumRR
Mate

Downloads: 17

Hi,

I have some problems with installing SH4 OM.

.7z extension file is opened with winRAR and unpacked into SH4 directory. Unluckily a single directory named Operation Monsun gets copied in the SH4 main directory and nothing seems to changed when I am playing the game.

What am I doing wrong? How to do right?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-08, 08:24 AM   #349
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Hum, been blown up twice east of Aberdeen by what I suppose are mines It only happened down at 30 metres or so, not at periscope depth :hmm:

According to the extensive research done by the NYGM guys, the british east coast minefields had been deactivated by 1945, but have you kept them?

I did not "deactivate", please note there is a "warning" in the mission brief on the location of those minefields
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:26 AM   #350
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by germannoob
I thought, it was possible for V200 of OM to make it from beginning of "Operation Paukenschlag" to end of war (at least end of Monsum Operations)? Is this still possible with V301? 'Cause I don't want to make it to "Kaleun" to end the carrier and begin the next mini campaign. But the readme suggest another thing.

XVIII from SH3 imported? The Type XXI was within SH3. SH4 uses XVIII. The XXI and XVIII have mostly the same construction. XXI have had big batteries while the XVIII have had the "Walter Antrieb". At least, I thought so.

Very awesome work!
as stated in the readme

Quote:
At this stage of Operation Monsun’s development the player does not have the option to play a Sept 39 to May 45 career, however that will be available with “Action in the North Atlantic” (OM v400) later this year. In the meantime OM’s submarine operations are currently broken into to five unique mini-campaigns

The Type XVIII and XXI "never" made any combat patrols and will "not" be a part of OM.
Old 07-06-08, 08:34 AM   #351
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumRR
Hi,

.7z extension file is opened with winRAR and unpacked into SH4 directory. Unluckily a single directory named Operation Monsun gets copied in the SH4 main directory and nothing seems to changed when I am playing the game.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on how you decompress the .7z file you may end up with "two" OpsMonsun_V301 folders. If you have two, move the second one into the "mods" folder and remove the first.
Old 07-06-08, 08:34 AM   #352
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumRR
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
1-If possible use 7z to inflate... it takes no room and might save you some probles with winrar..

2-try to move the whole Op Monsun folder to your MODS directory using windows explorer... that is where you should allways install mods, just select and drag it to MODS...

3-now see if it is reported in JGME...

and remember to uninstall OM200 plus patches before activating.. it is just great... and arrange for a tanker to meet you somewhere with fuel, those type II have short short legs.. I LOVE this game and OM keeps getting better and better... BTW I havent seen a plane from coastal command yet... those RAF boys must be getting ready to nail me:rotfl:

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:44 AM   #353
cgjimeneza
Captain

Default german torpedo problems 1939-1940

As instructed by Luker, I present the following excerps from Clay Blair`s Hitlers Uboat War vol I.

enjoy...:hmm:

“This latest torpedo failure (circa November 12 1939 when 3 G7a and one G7e had failed or premature)-and the near loss of von Gossler`s U-49- so infuriated Raeder that he resorted to a drastic measure. He reached outside the Kriegsmarine and brought a civilian scientist, Dr. E.A. Cornelius, and named him “torpedo dictator”. Cornelius was to have wide powers, not only to correct the faults of the torpedoes (pistols, depth keeping, etc), but also to take measures to improve torpedo production, which was badly lagging….”

From Doenitz war diary: “the fact that its main weapon, the torpedo, has to a large extend proved useless in operations… at least 25 percent of all shots fired have been torpedo failures. According to statistics covering all shots up to 6 January 1940, 40.9% of unsuccessful shots were torpedo failures”

However there was reason for optimism. Raeder had sacked the hidebound chief of the torpedo directorate, Oskar Wher, and appointed a new chief, Oskar Kummetz, and had named scientist Dr. Cornelius…. After merely a few days…. They had concluded new tests, which had proved beyond doubt that the torpedoes were defective in several ways.

(by April 11, 1940 during the Norwegian campaign after reports of 8-9 failures out of 12 eels fired) …What to do? Doenitz believed that he should order all boats to deactivate the magnetic pistols and rely on contact pistols. However, owing to the deep running defect (not yet fixed), this order would rule out shooting at shallow draft ships, such as destroyers, an unthinkable restriction. It was therefore decided-and ordered-that all ships north of 62ª were to adopt … loading 3 fwd tubes with impact pistols and one with magnetic. When shooting at deep draft (cruisers and larger), only contact pistols were to be used. When shooting at shallow, two torpedoes were to be fired, one with impact, one with magnetic, to avoid the possibility that a premature with the magnetic pistol might detonate the torpedo with the contact pistol, an interval of eight seconds between torpedoes was to be used.

(After capturing HMS Seal and towing it to Germany)… it was found that she carried 12 torpedoes (six in tubes, six reloads) fitted with contact pistols. After Doenitz and his staffers had closely examined the pistols… He declared them to be “very sound” and “efficient” and that they were to be “copied”.

The depth keeping defect had not, in fact, been corrected. There was as yet an undetected fault. The rudder shaft of the torpedo passed thru the balance chamber, where the hydrostatic valve controlling the depth settings was located. The chamber was not airtight. As a result, when the boats ran submerged for prolonged periods and the internal pressure in the boat rose, the air pressure in the balance chamber likewise rose. This confused the hydrostatic valve, which was designed to operate at sea level and caused it to set the torpedoes to run deeper.

Old 07-07-08, 12:48 PM   #354
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

Didn't see it in the posts so I will ask

When a mini campaign comes to an end, can the comander be transfered to another theater?

Could this be implimented?
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 01:45 PM   #355
germannoob
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos

When a mini campaign comes to an end, can the comander be transfered to another theater?

That's what I'm currently working on. Normally it should not be possible. Haven't my sh4 here at university, but when you edit your Flotillas.cfg (or flotillas.upc?) you can see, that the Lorient Flotilla available from Dec. '41 has objectives until late 44 (or was it 43?). I've changed the avail Interval for the flotilla to 44. I wanna check now, whether it is possible to play this Flotilla until 43 where you can change to Lorient (Operation Monsum) with this slight tweak. And the english objectives are annoying, but I'm on it to change them.
Old 07-07-08, 05:19 PM   #356
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by germannoob
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos

That's what I'm currently working on. Normally it should not be possible. Haven't my sh4 here at university, but when you edit your Flotillas.cfg (or flotillas.upc?) you can see, that the Lorient Flotilla available from Dec. '41 has objectives until late 44 (or was it 43?). I've changed the avail Interval for the flotilla to 44. I wanna check now, whether it is possible to play this Flotilla until 43 where you can change to Lorient (Operation Monsum) with this slight tweak. And the english objectives are annoying, but I'm on it to change them.

and why are the
Quote:
And the english objectives are annoying
?????
Old 07-07-08, 06:26 PM   #357
cgjimeneza
Captain

Default mileage (now very important)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantrokoles
Psst Carlos,
I won't destroy Mikhayl's mention, but its devloper setted 8 knots as longe range speed in the *.sim file
Im not that sure about those 8 knots (this is for a type II) , I "get the feel" that 2/3rds ahead or close to six knots gets me more miles for gallon, at 8 knots the fuel runs out quicker, and doesn´t get me that far... but havent measured it yet...

will try to do some runs to time and diesel burn to get there.

Last edited by cgjimeneza; 07-08-08 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 06:26 PM   #358
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Default Operation Monsun V301 Patch1

Operation Monsun V301 Patch1

Install

Use JSGME to install. The changes have no effect on you current campaign, therefore it can be installed at any time

Corrected the following items

Missing skin config information for the “Regele Ferdinand” Class DD

Fixed bridge crew placement for Type XXIII
Fixed FuMO391 ESM antenna on the snorkel of the Type XXIII
Fixed bow wake of the Type XXIII

See first post for download links

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 07-07-08 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 07:32 PM   #359
germannoob
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3
and why are the
Quote:
And the english objectives are annoying
?????
whoops... wrong translation word. I mean not annoying, but historically wrong (especially for germans). But it seems to be only for me.

Don't misunderstand me: You (and all the other modders) are making the work, normally the dev's should do, as they earn the money. You guys will earn only respect and honor. So this is not critism but let's say "feature requests".
Old 07-07-08, 08:38 PM   #360
silent killer
Soundman

Downloads: 49
Default v 301

thanks lurker keep up the excelent work, take time to enjoy the game