SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-22-11, 09:10 AM   #3541
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 0

I could not spot any land batteries either...
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 09:34 AM   #3542
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Shore batteries are very dificult to spot. They usually spot you, before you see them. Even coming into port, the lookouts don't spot them at friendly bases until we're almost on top of them. Which should be the norm, as they were usually hidden well for defensive purposes.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 02:45 PM   #3543
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default shore batteries

Sailing into and out of Tokyo Bay is tricky. There are shore batteries on both banks of the inlet. Two or three on the N/E side and one or two on S/E side. You must be surfaced some of the time, or the battery will drain. On the surface or at decks awash, the shore batteries will eventually locate your boat. If you are decks awash and at a depth where the batteries are charging, you can usually submerge without being hit once the shore batteries open fire. I sail on the surface with TC set at no greater than 4 as long as I can, and then move to decks awash. When shells start splashing around the boat from shore batteries, I go to periscope depth. If they hit my boat, I turn around, run away, and live to fight another day. If I run at periscope depth to avoid the shore batteries ultimately I am forced to the surface due the drained battery, and the shore batteries, if you are in still in range, will have a field day.

I do not think the game has a way for the crew to spot the shore batteries. Once a shore battery opens fire, however, you know its position for furture patrols, as its postion does not change.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 04:12 PM   #3544
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Yep, I try to avoid narrow passages if at all possible. Especially places like that. The north end of Honshu, the straits between there and Hokkaido are nasty to get through too. I try to wait for heavy fog, and or rain to get through narrow points like that.

---------------------

Old 12-22-11, 05:24 PM   #3545
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Any time I had to head to Tokyo or Hiroshima I normally wait for bad weather conditions, mainly fog.
I have had to hang out close to bay entrance in fairly safe area as much as a couple weeks game time waiting for favorable conditions.
Once Fog sets in, you can almost run all the way to destination on surface at night.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 09:39 AM   #3546
jeff lackey
A-ganger

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Sailing into and out of Tokyo Bay is tricky. There are shore batteries on both banks of the inlet. Two or three on the N/E side and one or two on S/E side. You must be surfaced some of the time, or the battery will drain. On the surface or at decks awash, the shore batteries will eventually locate your boat. If you are decks awash and at a depth where the batteries are charging, you can usually submerge without being hit once the shore batteries open fire. I sail on the surface with TC set at no greater than 4 as long as I can, and then move to decks awash. When shells start splashing around the boat from shore batteries, I go to periscope depth. If they hit my boat, I turn around, run away, and live to fight another day. If I run at periscope depth to avoid the shore batteries ultimately I am forced to the surface due the drained battery, and the shore batteries, if you are in still in range, will have a field day.

I do not think the game has a way for the crew to spot the shore batteries. Once a shore battery opens fire, however, you know its position for furture patrols, as its postion does not change.
What's the maximum depth at which the batteries will still recharge?
jeff lackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 07:02 PM   #3547
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
//interiors
- moved helmsman back to conning tower in gato interior w/ 3D TDC & radar ranging

- fixed hydrophone clicky in gato conning tower w/ 3D TDC & Radar ranging

- renamed "after battery" to "crew Berthing" to remove confusion as to what that compartment is for.

- adjusted compartment effeciency levels.

- readjusted night time red lights.

// subs
- adjusted fuel.

- changed sub upgrade classes. Tambor from 2 to 5. Tench from 3 to 4.

- Did my best to fix the "Ginger bug" with the crew. You may occasionally see twins, but at no point should the entire crew look like the same dude.

//Environment
- Adjusted clouds and fixed cloud shadow.

- adjusted fog to SH5 values.

- adjusted water bump mapping and specular values.

- adjusted waves for all four sea states.

//GFX
- adjusted PPF. Tweak by Racerboy/TheDarkWraith.

//AI
- reworked visual sensor parameters. Is now more in the players favor then before.
- JP Type93 active sonar's Sensitivity is now controlled by the sim.cfg file.

//UI
- Double clicking on the Misc Tab in orders bar now goes to the nav map.

- Double clicking on hydrophone and radar tabs now brings you to the associated stations instead of the conning tower.

// campaign
- changed out of harbor starting positions to be... out of harbor.

- created Tambor class specific campaign option. One boat, no new commands, only refits.

- Fixed Sofu Gan not showing up on navigation map unless zoomed in.

- Increased Patrol missions area of operations to 250KM, and added a map marker to display the boundries.

- Increased patrol mission duration from 4 to 5 days.

- slightly reduced number of aircraft available at JP airbases (Lrg, Nrm, Sml)

- Completely Redid JP Subhunter layers. Instead of historically inaccurate allied style HK groups, these layers are now scripted to protect various harbors and patrol geographic chockpoints.

// misc
- removed files pertaining to uboats and german campaign to reduce file conflicts with future add on to TMO.
- added a CG_height of 0.01 to Commando lifeboats (previously 0). Hopefully this will reduce the tip overs.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 07:29 PM   #3548
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3227

@ Ducimus: TMO 2.5 is the better Christmas gift for the SH4 SubSim community. I´m downloading it now...

I see the YouTube video (Environment), looks awesome!

My only preoccupation is:

"Trigger Maru is not compatible with any large modpack, to include enviromental mods. Exception to this is any version of RSRD made specifically to be compatible the latest version of TMO. All other large mod packs are NOT compatiable. The reason is, many large modpacks deal with the same files, and alot of unexpected results will occur."

I use RSRDC with TMO 22 without problems. Is TMO 25 compatible with RSRDC, or need (this mod), some modification?

Many many thanks and Merry Christmas!

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 07:36 PM   #3549
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

This Christmas is getting better and better I also have a question does it have gift rap?
Old 12-23-11, 08:05 PM   #3550
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post

I use RSRDC with TMO 22 without problems. Is TMO 25 compatible with RSRDC, or need (this mod), some modification?
I believe so long as i don't go renaming key files or change unit type classifications in the roster, (which I haven't, nor would i at this point) then RSRD should continue to work as it has.

My caveat/disclaimer is mainly to cover my own ass in case something goes wrong. I will, claim responsiblity for the doings/wrong doings of my own work, so long as it is untouched. The instant something else overwrites or changes it, i absolve myself of any responsibilty.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 08:37 PM   #3551
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I believe so long as i don't go renaming key files or change unit type classifications in the roster, (which I haven't, nor would i at this point) then RSRD should continue to work as it has.

My caveat/disclaimer is mainly to cover my own ass in case something goes wrong. I will, claim responsiblity for the doings/wrong doings of my own work, so long as it is untouched. The instant something else overwrites or changes it, i absolve myself of any responsibilty.
Thanks, Ducimus. The question about RSRDC is: this mod changes some things (radar-sonar...), and it seems this stuff would alter the values in TMO 25. In my TMO 22 RSRDC I use IJN radar fix for RSRDC mod and TMO visuals for RSRDC mod. It´s evident RSRDC not only change the campaign layers, also it changes some other values, in the "Library" folder

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-11, 10:12 PM   #3552
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Dang it! And I'm only at May 3rd 1943 on my present career! Oh well, I'll just have to wait. Downloading now, although this michrowave wireless setup, isn't much better than the old 56k modum

Thanks Ducimus for the excellent Christmas gift!

---------------------

Old 12-23-11, 10:55 PM   #3553
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Now all I need is Ducimus to finish up his Nine Delta 2 mod!
Old 12-23-11, 11:07 PM   #3554
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Had not really expected another TMO version so Many Thanks Ducimus and Happy Holidays.
Old 12-24-11, 12:19 AM   #3555
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

For distinguished service while keeping the highest traditions of the US submarine force: