SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-09, 01:54 AM   #3151
Steiger
Planesman

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0

I bought the game on Steam for dirt cheap, and I'm wondering if that affects the workability of the mod in any way. I couldn't install the 1.4 patch because the installer couldn't find the game on the hard drive (so I got the u-boats addon so I could get 1.5).

Any info appreciated, thanks. I just don't want to waste someone's bandwidth on a download if it's going to be useless.
Old 12-29-09, 03:22 AM   #3152
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiger View Post
I bought the game on Steam for dirt cheap, and I'm wondering if that affects the workability of the mod in any way. I couldn't install the 1.4 patch because the installer couldn't find the game on the hard drive (so I got the u-boats addon so I could get 1.5).

Any info appreciated, thanks. I just don't want to waste someone's bandwidth on a download if it's going to be useless.
With the steam disable the autoupdate for SH4, or whatwasitcalled.
The main point is, when Steam realizes you used a Mod that changes files
in the game, it will download those files again.

This applys to any Steam game you wanna modificate ie. change/edit files.

You just need to put JSGME in the game folder, which I don't know what it is in Steam
since I don't have steam version. Look for Data folder and place the JSGME one folder up.
Should works just fine. I know cuz I've used JSGME on Counter Strike Sauce and the likes in the past,
even with X3 Terran Conflict.

There's no other patch after 1.5 for SH4 nor it will be I spose since
the SH5 is on the works, coming out probably in March next year.

Happy hunting.

Old 12-29-09, 05:17 AM   #3153
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

No, that is NOT true

If you look through a binocular with two eyes, you see a perfectly round circle I have used several binoculars in my life and they always had a rounded field of view. Right now I have here by my side a marine binocular from my granfather (A Noctex 10x) and I can assure you that when you look through it, what you see is a perfect circle.

EDIT: See this post here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=3110

Not correct link... or unsuccessful example...
Nikon's instruction - это упрощенный показ настройки расстояния между окулярами бинокля (roof prismatic binocular)...
Все изображения, которые вы сможете найти (например в интерненте) и якобы "сфотографированные" через бинокль... это монокулярные изображения, которые сделать не очень сложно... "сфотографировать" же истинное бинокулярное изображение, приближенное к тому, что видит человек очень сложно...
В результате бинокулярного зрения где угол зрения ограничен еще и конструктивными особенностями бинокулярного оптического прибора (бинокль), вы никогда не увидите FoV в виде абсолютно правильного круга... даже у самых совершенных современных биноклей FoV по горизонтали всегда будет немного больше, чем FoV по вертикали... Вы правильно пишите, что FoV будет скругленной (rounded) фигурой, но не правильным кругом...
В качестве информации для размышлений... прочитайте: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binocular_vision
Кроме того вы можете попробовать сами с помощью линейки измерить FoV по горизонтали и по вертикали, установив бинокль (и линейки) на штативы... не забывайте речь идет о Porro prismatic binocular как показано в игре...

P.S. Вы не можете одновременно видеть резкое изображение объекта (корабль) и резкое изображение границ FoV оптического прибора..., поэтому для приближения к реальности восприятия, границы FoV в играх (и т.п.) изображаются нерезкими...
И цвет изображения должен быть с очень легкой желтизной... несовершенство оптики тех лет...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 12-30-09 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 10:50 AM   #3154
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 19

One more question about the sinking mechanics in RFB.

Is it normal that not all ships go down the way one might suppose?

I hit a Mogami with 4 torps in the bow but it went down stern first.
http://www.abload.de/img/sh4bowshotfuqv.jpg

Is this normal behavior inside the Game-Engines or Mods tolerances, is it the way ships sink or is something wrong on my end? (except that i am too picky )

Aubrey
-- -.-- / .... --- ...- . .-. -.-. .-. .- ..-. - / .. ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / . . .-.. ...

Old 12-29-09, 02:20 PM   #3155
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAubrey View Post
Is it normal that not all ships go down the way one might suppose?

I hit a Mogami with 4 torps in the bow but it went down stern first.
http://www.abload.de/img/sh4bowshotfuqv.jpg

Is this normal behavior inside the Game-Engines or Mods tolerances, is it the way ships sink or is something wrong on my end? (except that i am too picky )
Large warships like the Mogami aren't affected by the new damage model, sadly. The largest warships that will be affected by the new damage model in RFB 2.0 are destroyers.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
Old 12-29-09, 03:47 PM   #3156
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Luke, PM me when you release it -in case I miss it, these are busy days for me- so I can add an announcement to the main page Beware that I'll be offline from the 31st to the 2nd January.
Old 12-29-09, 07:21 PM   #3157
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
Large warships like the Mogami aren't affected by the new damage model, sadly. The largest warships that will be affected by the new damage model in RFB 2.0 are destroyers.
As long as they go down, it's not a big deal. Damage Model on all other ships i encountered so far is excellent and "feels natural."

A little suggestion (or maybe request): As a rather new RFB-Fan, I love nearly everything about this mod except the length of the "General Quarters" Sound.
Is there any easy way i could change that without breaking the mod?
It may be realistic, but i always need to turn the volume down or the time compression up, because i can't stand the loud "dang dang dang" sound.

Aubrey
-- -.-- / .... --- ...- . .-. -.-. .-. .- ..-. - / .. ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / . . .-.. ...

Old 12-29-09, 08:17 PM   #3158
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Luke, PM me when you release it -in case I miss it, these are busy days for me- so I can add an announcement to the main page Beware that I'll be offline from the 31st to the 2nd January.
Will do.

RFB Team Leader
Old 12-29-09, 08:18 PM   #3159
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAubrey View Post
A little suggestion (or maybe request): As a rather new RFB-Fan, I love nearly everything about this mod except the length of the "General Quarters" Sound.
Is there any easy way i could change that without breaking the mod?
It may be realistic, but i always need to turn the volume down or the time compression up, because i can't stand the loud "dang dang dang" sound.
Sure. The relevant audio file is "Submarine_GQ_battle_stations_INT."

RFB Team Leader
Old 12-30-09, 12:49 PM   #3160
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Thanks a lot!

Aubrey

Old 12-30-09, 11:55 PM   #3161
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Uploading RFB 2.0 now...

Expect the download link to be up in about an hour.

RFB Team Leader
Old 12-31-09, 12:04 AM   #3162
sckallst
Bosun

Downloads: 115

Oh, great. No sleep for me tonight.
Old 12-31-09, 01:00 AM   #3163
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart View Post

Not correct link... or unsuccessful example...
Nikon's instruction - это упрощенный показ настройки расстояния между окулярами бинокля (roof prismatic binocular)...
I ran Anvarts post through google translate.

In my opinion, Anvart is arguing semantics. He's not saying it should be 2 overlapping circles, but that the single circle shouldn't be perfectly round and that the FoV (field of view) is not a perfect circle.

True, the binoculars give a view that is not a perfect circle if you want to get nitpicky, but it is so close to being a perfect circle that the brain sees it that way.

Nikon gives an example showing an exaggerated oval view on one of their pages. Funny thing, my Nikons do not have an image that is as out of round as the example on their site.

My other set which are 8-24x40's are the same way. Set up the interpupillary distance correctly and I'd swear it was a perfect circle.

Plus in order to figure out the correct vertical and horizontal FoV, you'd need to take into account the lens size, magnification, and distance.

Leave the view as is Hitman, and just ignore Anvarts post. I wonder how much time he's spent actually looking through binoculars.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
Old 12-31-09, 05:05 AM   #3164
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by swdw View Post
In my opinion, Anvart is arguing semantics...
I can tell it about your post... simplified concept...
Quote:
... and just ignore Anvarts post. I wonder how much time he's spent actually looking through binoculars.
... enough for understanding..., but your brain prevents to understand it...
My thought is simple... horizontal FoV more than vertical ...
The distance between objectives of the sea Porro-prism binocular is more than distance between eyepieces in 2.5 and more...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Old 12-31-09, 11:48 AM   #3165
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305

Looking forward to RFB 2.0. Thanks to you LukeFF and your team for all your hard work.

Happy New Year to you all.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Closed Thread