SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-09, 09:41 AM   #3091
Zonke
Swabbie

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
It will be, for sure. Likely it will be out by the end of November.
Sweet!
Will 2.0 include the sub damage model for the U-boats as well?

Thx
Old 11-19-09, 08:19 PM   #3092
beartooth91
Loader

Downloads: 21
Default Finally Updated to 1.5

Ok, after dragging my feet for a good while, I finally bought the Gold pack and updated to 1.5 (U-Boat Missions), but, have a couple of problems regarding RFB 1.52:

1st of all, I can't find a working link for the patch and hotfix mentioned in the top post....unless they're included in the RFB 1.52 at the given download link (?).

Secondly, I don't go anywhere without SD radar. Is there a file I can tweak to start off with enough renown so's I can get an SD radar at or near the start of the war ? I did some looking, but, nothing is obvious.

Thanks
Old 11-20-09, 06:08 AM   #3093
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

I remember being confused about this.
Originally there was RFB 1.5, and a hotfix patch.
It has now been rolled up into RFB 1.52, that's all you need.

It's been a while since I played RFB.
But IIRC if you pick a start date of 1942 rather than 1941, it starts you around June of that year. Radar should be available.
Old 11-25-09, 12:54 AM   #3094
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
LukeFF, I have somewhere lying around a project I started some time ago for a realistic binocular view (Rounded, like the TBT) that also has a reticle. I know the real Bausch&Lomb items issued to the Submarine force had that reticle for rangefinding (Mils reticle) but I haven't been able to find a sample of it to copy. I have instead a reticle from a B*Lomb issued to the Army, so I was planning to add that one instead, until something better comes up. I will try to send you the finished item before the RFB2 release, so you can include if you see it worth it.
Go for it. There's still time to add things to this beta before it goes public.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
Old 11-25-09, 12:55 AM   #3095
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonke View Post
Sweet!
Will 2.0 include the sub damage model for the U-boats as well?
I think so, but I will have to check my notes.

RFB Team Leader
Old 11-25-09, 01:29 AM   #3096
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Altogether, this is what is planned to be included in RFB 2.0 at this point:

Quote:
Warship Damage Model, Covers:

-Akizuki
-Asashio
-Fubuki
-Mutsuki
-Minekaze
-Shiratsuyu
-Clemson
-Fletcher
-Somers
-Subchaser
-CHa-1

(LukeFF and Observer)

-New Interior Camera Mechanics (vickers03)

-New Torpedo Textures (Captain America)

-New depth gauge in control room for Balao and Tench class (LukeFF)

-Re-worked texture mapping for Gato/Balao/Tench/Tambor/Gar and S Class interiors (LukeFF)

-CHa-1 subchaser (Nisgeis)

-New Radar Display (Hitman)

-Darker attack periscope (skwas)

RFB Team Leader
Old 11-27-09, 08:05 AM   #3097
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I have the new binocular ready now

The viewhole has exactly the same size as the periscopes and the TBT, in order to keep the coherence and proportions for the user (And as in real life is when pressed against your eyes). The magnification is the same as the TBT, so you can solve both (If you include my TBT, as you said some time ago) equally with an aperture angle of 84, and a zoom of 7x.

I will send you both in any case, as I have done some minor retouches.

The new reticle is excellent for rangefinding before the radar, or on stuff that the radar would not pick (shore line, etc.). I have so far been able to determine with a high degree of efficiency distance to targets for surface gun action before radar

Old 11-27-09, 08:30 AM   #3098
sergei
Sea Lord

WOW. That looks very nice!
Any chance you might be releasing this as a standalone?
Old 11-27-09, 11:27 AM   #3099
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Sure, no problem, but I'd like the RFB guys to have it first ... some kind of a "premiere"

but I'll send you a link per PM anyway, so you can betatest it.
Old 11-27-09, 11:51 AM   #3100
sergei
Sea Lord

Thanks Hitman
See PM
Old 11-29-09, 12:43 PM   #3101
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 19

Sorry if it's been discussed before but please let me ask a question about RFB.

I reinstalled SH4 with the Addon, patching it to 1.5

Then i downloaded RFB 1.52 from the link provided in the starting post.

What i am experiencing is, that i cannot seem to lock on ships, especially during nighttime. It lets me lock on for 1-2 secs then breaks the lock.
Seastate does not seem to be the problem, calm or high waves - no lock on.

If i manage to hit a ship with some kind of snapshot, then even small cargo vessels do not go down or stop dead, they just keep on steaming on.

If a ship goes down, it sinks like a stopped submarine diving. Perfectly leveled, but sinking. In the thread i read "like a bathtub filled with water." That describes it.

What i would like to know is, if maybe i got a wrong version of RFB 1.52, as i read in the thread that i should be able to lock onto ships and sink them without spending all my torps on one merchant. It's absolutely possible that i did something wrong.

If the "no locking on" is correct behavior for RFB, then please tell me how i can change that.

Thanks in advance for you patience.

Aubrey
-- -.-- / .... --- ...- . .-. -.-. .-. .- ..-. - / .. ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / . . .-.. ...

Old 11-29-09, 02:42 PM   #3102
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

I think it is correct. The ability to lock a ship depends on the efectiveness of the crew's visual sensor. If the crew can see and follow the ship, you can lock on it. To achieve a realistic behaviour and get a reasonable compromise (Since the sensors dod not work based on what you see in teh screen, but on average parameters), the tendency is to undertune them, to prevent the crew from seeing ships in impossible situations, where you also neither can see them.
Old 11-29-09, 07:46 PM   #3103
SteveUK
Helmsman

Downloads: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAubrey View Post
If i manage to hit a ship with some kind of snapshot, then even small cargo vessels do not go down or stop dead, they just keep on steaming on.

If a ship goes down, it sinks like a stopped submarine diving. Perfectly leveled, but sinking. In the thread i read "like a bathtub filled with water." That describes it.
This is the way ships sink in RFB they take longer - the manual thats provided lists the changes made to merchants. They have been changed to sink by flooding rather then a loss of hit points, think they have been given seperate compartments that will flood and ddepending where you hit the target depends on the degree of flooding.

So yes you can hit a ship with a fish and it will continue on, I put two into a hog island freighter yeterday and it still didnt stop the dammed thing till the third took out its props. And many's the time when I have gone deep to wait for a convoy to disapper before finishing off a cripple.

Quote:
if maybe i got a wrong version of RFB 1.52
This is the version for 1.5 so seems the right one to me

Quote:
...sink them without spending all my torps on one merchant
As above it makes you asses the situation - will it sink or does it need another? Puts you in the position of real sub skippers in that sense.

Quote:
It's absolutely possible that i did something wrong
Dont think so friend, I think it's just the way RFB works I love the sinking machanics of this mod I think in RFB 2.0 (soon to be realeaed) they have changed some of the warships to - no more crusiers that take one torp from now on!

No doubt someone from the RFB team will be along and correct any errors I've made! but stick with it - your first natural sinking is such a nice feeling

Oh one other thing - the locking on problem I think I remember reading somewhere that this happens in certain locations at certain times can be frustrating just like a real skipper experienced I would think.

Hope this has helped and good hunting
Old 11-30-09, 02:00 AM   #3104
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

In general, it should take no more than three torpedoes to sink a merchant ship with the damage model we've implemented with RFB. The compartments that will flood the fastest are the cargo holds. Other than that, the manual describes in extensive detail how the damage model works.

As for the warship damage model, only the Japanese and American DDs have been modified at this point. I'd love to move on to the other warships, but with Observer (the mastermind behind RFB's damage modeling) absent, it's just too much work for myself to take on. Plus, there's just a TON of warships that would need to be modified. If we ever do tackle the rest of the warships it will likely be only the Japanese ones.

RFB Team Leader
Old 11-30-09, 09:30 AM   #3105
JackAubrey
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 19

Thank you all very much for your answers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I think it is correct. The ability to lock a ship depends on the efectiveness of the crew's visual sensor. If the crew can see and follow the ship, you can lock on it. To achieve a realistic behaviour and get a reasonable compromise (Since the sensors dod not work based on what you see in teh screen, but on average parameters), the tendency is to undertune them, to prevent the crew from seeing ships in impossible situations, where you also neither can see them.
I understand. But it definitely is, at least for me, frustrating to have a merchant clear in my sights at about 800 yards, the sea around smooth like a mirror and not being able to lock on. I think it will get better the more i learn to use the map tools to calculate a solution completely on my own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUK View Post
This is the way ships sink in RFB they take longer - the manual thats provided lists the changes made to merchants. They have been changed to sink by flooding rather then a loss of hit points, think they have been given seperate compartments that will flood and ddepending where you hit the target depends on the degree of flooding.
I'd love that. I used the "Natural Sinking Mechanics"-Mod pre 1.5 and was amazed at how the damage and the sinking was modeled.
With that mod, ships seem to be flooded where i hit them. Did the torp hit the bow, it went down bow first, and so on.
With my install of RFB, the ships that sink tend to first stop dead in the water and then sink perfectly leveled. Regardless where i hit them. Stop your submarine, go to outside view and order periscope depth, you'll see what i mean. With RFB, no more sinking bow or stern first or listing.
Quote:
So yes you can hit a ship with a fish and it will continue on, I put two into a hog island freighter yeterday and it still didnt stop the dammed thing till the third took out its props. And many's the time when I have gone deep to wait for a convoy to disapper before finishing off a cripple.
I see. I once hit a ship right in the props and it didn't stop. I thought that a hit in the props would make the darn thing stop, but no dice.

Quote:
Oh one other thing - the locking on problem I think I remember reading somewhere that this happens in certain locations at certain times can be frustrating just like a real skipper experienced I would think.
It definitely is frustrating.

I picture a sub skipper who has sneaked into the enemies harbor and wants to take a shot at a merchant 600 yards away. The setting sun illuminates the scene, no swell. The skipper orders a torpedo attack and starts to read the necessary data to the first officer.

The Officer responds: "I'd like to help you with the attack, Sir, but i can't see the ship."

Skipper: "Of course you can't see the ship. That is, because we're at periscope depth and I AM STANDING AT THE FRIGGIN' PERISCOPE! So would you, pretty please with sugar and flowers, start to put in the solution data i give you, BEFORE I SHOOT YOU SORRY EXCUSE FOR AN OFFICER RIGHT OUTTA TUBE NUMBER ONE!?!?"

"Yes Sir, i would Sir. But, you know, shooting torpedoes was declared a democratic process by the DoD. If the crew can't see the ship, we're not going to help you set up the attack."

Skipper:
"Ok! Ok! I got it. Navigator: Set up a course to Pearl! Radio Operator: Ask them if we can have panorama windows installed in the conning tower and control room."

Quote:
Hope this has helped and good hunting
It surely has. Thanks a lot.

Aubrey
-- -.-- / .... --- ...- . .-. -.-. .-. .- ..-. - / .. ... / ..-. ..- .-.. .-.. / --- ..-. / . . .-.. ...

Last edited by JackAubrey; 11-30-09 at 01:53 PM.
Closed Thread