Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-20, 05:56 AM   #3001
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
So what is it in this Remdesivir a vaccine developed to fight the Ebola virus that it even have success fighting this Corona virus.
Markus
Remdesivir operates on the RNA (the molecule that holds the genetic information in many viruses) level, not the protein level. It mimics adenosine, one of the four nucleic acids RNA is composed of. When Remdesivir molecules are inserted into the RNA chain, the enzyme RNA-polymerase falls off the chain, so replication (making copies) of the virus RNA as a whole is stopped and only short sequences are produced.

Because RNA replication is a mechanism essential for all RNA viruses to multiply, Remdesivir might represent an antidote against a wide range of RNA viruses (But for example useless against the HI virus, because HIV holds DNA.). We have to wait and see.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 05:58 AM   #3002
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

UK minister Michael Gove has said it is too early to lift restrictions on movement in the UK.

Overnight, the One World: Together At Home show included more than 100 artists playing live from their homes.

The eight-hour event was run by the Global Citizen movement and the WHO and was live-streamed and broadcast on TV.

Lady Gaga, who helped organise the concert, also performed.

At his White House briefing on Saturday evening, President Donald Trump praised the production of hospital goods in the US: "V for victory, V for ventilator!"

Britain's Queen Elizabeth has asked that there be no gun salutes to mark her birthday on Tuesday.

As world coronavirus deaths pass 150,000, more than 4.5 billion people are under containment to slow the pandemic.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 06:08 AM   #3003
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The German govenrment cut to pieces the never ending calls for switiching to a strategy of enforcing herd immunity. They replied with the mathemtical calcuations showing that in order to achieve a sufficient level of herd immunty within 18 months, every day 73 thousand Germans would need to get infected. From numbers of known cases we know that between 15 and 20% of identified infected people need to get hospitalised sooner or later. In other words, every day between 11 and 14 thosuand patients would additionally get spilled into the hopsital's corona stations. Corona patients stay in hospitals for usually not less than 2 weeks, often longer, serious cases for many weeks.

Germany has 500 thousand hospital beds and before the crisis listed 28 thousand ICUs. Around one fifth of these were free before the crisis began.

Further a speaker of the government said they calculate with a demand in protective masks for the German population of 12 billion per year.

Latest scientifc research results from the US further strengthen suspicions that Covid19 gets transmitted by simple talking and breathing alone - coughing is not needed. - What do you say...! They should have asked me six and eight weeks ago, i could have told them that already back then...

Last edited by Skybird; 04-19-20 at 10:06 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 06:25 AM   #3004
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Lockdown measures could be eased within four weeks time, according to infectious disease expert Sir Jeremy Farrar.

But the director of the Wellcome Trust warned that the public should be prepared for further waves of the coronavirus in the coming months and that rushing an end to the lockdown could be disastrous.

"We should not see this as a discrete episode,” he told Sky News's Sophy Ridge On Sunday. “I think the probability of what we must be planning for is that there would be further waves of this in the future.”

Sir Jeremy, who is a member of the Government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), said lifting lockdown prematurely would mean the virus comes back again “very quickly”.

"If we were to release those lockdowns too soon whilst the infection rates are still high... then the epidemic would come back again, it would come back very quickly. It would rebound within a few weeks or a couple of months."

Sir Jeremy added he was "optimistic" about finding a vaccine for the Covid-19 coronavirus with advances in science, but acknowledged "the truth is we don't have another vaccine for any other human coronavirus".

"It's not a given that we will make a vaccine,” he said.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...-cases-deaths/

Old 04-19-20, 10:10 AM   #3005
Skybird
Soaring

Correction:
Above I had orignally said the German government said it would take 73 thousand new infections per day to reach kind of a herd imunity after 180 days. That was an error I made, which I meanwhile corrected. What the man said who gets quoted there (its the chief of the chancellor's office) is that the herd immunity with these infection numbers of 73 thosua nd per day would be reached not already after 180 days, but after 18 months. Three times as long, that is.
Old 04-19-20, 10:53 AM   #3006
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 04-19-20, 11:02 AM   #3007
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Tired of pulling off your face mask when your thirsty?

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 11:17 AM   #3008
Skybird
Soaring

The plot thickens. it indeed seems that you can get infected by Covid19 repeatedly.

Argh, that is a really bad one.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-5...more-than-once
Old 04-19-20, 11:20 AM   #3009
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post

If only the majority of modern military style full face masks had a drinking, system, o wait they do.
Old 04-19-20, 11:51 AM   #3010
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The plot thickens. it indeed seems that you can get infected by Covid19 repeatedly.

The South Koreans have been saying this for over a week I believe.

Old 04-19-20, 12:52 PM   #3011
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

What I got from that interview was nothing she said really hadn't made this virus different than any other one. So much if not everything seems to depend upon the age and/or health of the host. And the ability of health care systems to handle the influx of new patients.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 01:14 PM   #3012
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:

I JUST SHOWED THIS TO MY WIFE OF 40 YEARS WHO SEWS AND KNITS FOR EVERYONE IN THE FAMILY AND HAS CONSIDERTED MAKING MASKS FOR THE LOCAL HOSPITALS; (THANK GOD SHE'S GOT HER OWN 'SEWING ROOM' WHILE I'M HIDING IN THE 'MANCAVE' DURING LOCKDOWN---PRACTICALLY A SEPARATE VACATION IN THIS TIME OF TRAVAIL!)
AND, SINCE I'VE A FEW OLD PAIRS OF BLUEJEANS I CAN NO LONGER SQUEEZE INTO....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 02:46 PM   #3013
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
[...] I'm sorry Catfish ... I don't read everything ... Did I miss something? What did I miss
No, i am sorry, i fear this came over too harsh, i just wanted to say that this Remdesivir is a kind of medicine that "accidentally" works, but it is not the cure, not the vaccine. If itf helps to get over the infection by whatever means it is of course well worth using.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-20, 02:50 PM   #3014
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The South Koreans have been saying this for over a week I believe.
Indeed, thats why I said the plot thinbckens (further). I had mentioned the Koreans a week ago or so, but nobody then beleived, or at least not many.
Old 04-19-20, 03:11 PM   #3015
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
The short history of the European initiative for a Corona app has so far seemed to come from a script for a Hollywood catastrophe film: Scientists and entrepreneurs forge an alliance in the face of the disaster, program the nights through, and one European government after the other supports the project , and in the end, the basis is created for an app that can contain the pandemic across Europe. In the meantime, however, the PEPP-PT initiative has met harsh reality. Not only is the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) app delayed by several weeks, as Federal Health Minister Jens Spahn (CDU) announced on Friday. An open dispute has broken out in the project itself.

Several important scientists and institutes turned their backs on PEPP-PT at the weekend and raised serious allegations. The Swiss epidemiologist Marcel Salathé, professor at the Polytechnic University in Lausanne, left the association on Friday. Salathé wrote on Twitter that the initiative was not "open" and "transparent" enough. Although he still believes in the core ideas of finding an international solution for an app that also respects the privacy of the user, he continued to write: "I can't stand behind something that I don't know what it actually stands for."

After Salathé, the Helmholtz Institute for Information Security, based in Germany, announced that it wanted to withdraw. Additional scientific institutions were added during the weekend: the Italian “ISI Foundation” and the Catholic University of Leuven. Salathé and the German Helmholtz Institute for Information Security now want to get involved in another initiative called DP3T, which is based on a decentralized approach to the data storage of contact persons.

Almost all critics have in common that they prefer a decentralized solution and fear serious data breaches should the data be saved on a central server instead. Salathé explains the difference as follows: “What has been published by PEPP-PT boils down to the argument that you have to trust a central body. But our approach is: And do not tempt us. Let’s build a system from the start that makes it impossible to link data because it doesn’t allow it from scratch. ”

Above all, the critics accuse the PEPP-PT of suppressing an open discussion about the question of which approach is better suited for a Corona app. "At PEPP-PT it was said: a public debate is just a shame," says Salathé to the F.A.Z. “I think exactly this open debate is necessary because we have to build trust. Everything has to be completely transparent. Now they are mainly advocating a central approach. I don't mind. But then the details have to be disclosed. "

Ninja Marnau, scientific group leader at the Helmholtz Institute for Information Security, also criticizes that it has long been unclear what the initiative actually stands for. The external presentation was misleading. “PEPP-PT has not delivered a development platform for an app. It was always an umbrella under which different teams exchanged ideas. ”It was never just the one platform that is now being developed for the Robert Koch Institute. "Unfortunately, that was how it was portrayed, especially by Mr. Boos." Hans-Christian Boos from Arago is a leading player in PEPP-PT. He has made numerous phone calls in the past few weeks to bring the concept of a Corona app closer to the public.

The support of many European governments was also unfortunate; In Marnau's opinion, this gave the impression that, above all, an app was planned across Europe. But the opposite is the case: In Germany, the Heinrich Hertz Institute (HHI) is developing an app that is likely to be based on a central approach, France and Italy have also carefully chosen a central approach, other European countries on the other hand, for decentralized storage of the data.

Marnau says that until the end of the day, they had no idea what the initiative stood for. “There were always coordination conferences on the phone, but we never got specific information about who was really responsible. Is that Mr. Boos? And who takes on the technical leadership role? The HHI? ”Because a lot of other institutes were involved in the work. In addition, the decentralized approach suddenly disappeared from the PEPP-PT website.
https://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/...ue#pageIndex_2

I do support the basic idea of such an app, but would accept it on my device only if two codntions are met: the data must be stored locally and for limited time only, then atuomatcially be deleted from the local devices, and the source code must be opened to the public so that independent organisations that are not the government and not the industry, but for example the Chaos Computer Club Hamburg, can check it for backdoors, openigns and vulnerabilities by which the dtata could be retirved, abused, or the device owener could be further monitored. The giovenrments cannot be trusted, and one thign is sure, and is to be feared regarding all consequences launched giovenrm,ents during the Corna crisis: power tools and and options to ciontorl people better that are ebign instralled durign Corona, EVERY govenrment will hate to give up again.

For the same reason I totally oppose Apple and Google when they want to develope their own Corona code and make it an integral part of their OS.

Because the holy mantra of digital trinity goes like this:
1. There is no deletion of data, never.
2. There is no anonymization that cannot be reversed.
3. Code and databases that can be abused by governments and industries for controlling the public, will be abused, always.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-19-20 at 03:21 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan