SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-12, 05:18 PM   #2986
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post
If battery capacity and oxygen supply are independant from each other, then... why not? I just checked how long one can run submerged with your fix, and if battery lasts longer than oxygen or vice versa. Not correct?
If two effects A and B are independent from each other but do influence an certain effect C, then I would change only A or B at one time and keep the other one constant in order to investigate the influence of A on C (resp. of B on C).

But even for me as only the reader of your post (and not the researcher of the effects) it was a little bit hard to understand what you wanted to express.

The effect of Silent-Running? The effect of O2 settings?

But now, after re-reading it, I understand.
Old 01-02-12, 05:20 PM   #2987
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Thanks H.Sie for that outstanding work, you really put SH 3 into SH 3 - the next Generation.

Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-12, 05:21 PM   #2988
h.sie
Admiral

Dankeschön!

Kongo Otto. Geiler Name.
Old 01-02-12, 05:24 PM   #2989
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
Dankeschön!

Kongo Otto. Geiler Name.
Bitte.

Ja find ich auch!
Old 01-03-12, 02:39 AM   #2990
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

Quote:
If two effects A and B are independent from each other but do influence an certain effect C, then I would change only A or B at one time and keep the other one constant in order to investigate the influence of A on C (resp. of B on C).
h.sie

To be precise, there were even 4 variables checked in both tests: Oxygen (A), Battery (B), amount of Oxygen (choosable in stiebler´s or h.sie´s option selector) (D) and silent running (E). All have influence on diving time resp. underwater range (C). I merged them in both test (otherwise it would take too long to get all results):

1. Tested time limit of battery and time limit of oxygen, then compared both in each test. But neither can i recognise a dependancy nor a interdependancy between each other. Is there any?

2. Since diving time is limited by battery as shown in the second test with h.sie´s recommended oxygen factor, increasing the amount of oxygen will logically lead to no other result than to the batteries´ weakness as biggest problem.

3. Same with silent running: Even with not rig for silent running from the beginning, enough oxygen remained for the crew. The only question was if reduced oxygen amount and only partly rig for silent running would lead to another result in the 2. test. Here you´re right, but i saw this huge reserve of oxygen when the batteries were emptied so i thougt this wouldn´t turn the result into its opposite.

4. In fact i didnt´t use exactly Stiebler´s settings of renewable and bottle-stored oxygen but simply doubled both values to "2". Now we can see that "No oxygen anymore" was reported at double time (112h vs. 55,5h) than when both values were left to "1". The reason why i integrated this test was that i remembered the discussion between h.sie and stiebler about maximum amount of oxygen. Then i found yours arguments both convincing. But now i wanted to find out how the one´s or the other´s setting ist affected by "improved" battery behaviour.

Conclusion: Finally, the boat comes to a stop, when batteries are completly emptied. Fine. Besides, even with h.sie´s restricted amount of oxygen, the batteries remain the "problem child". Also fine. With this mod, submerged range seems to be reduced, but maybe another tester could confirm. If so, one could easily correct range in .sim via skwasjer´s great S3ditor.

I regret if i wrote down my results in a misunderstandable way. There was too much to tell
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 02:44 AM   #2991
Poul
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post
btw, poul
AFAIK the boats could surface without compressed air, but they were still in "diving status" unless the diving cells were emptied - either by diesels or by compressed air.
Yes, certainly. But I mean extreme situations. For example: The stock of compressed air has come to an end. On a manometer - "0". Accumulators are discharged, therefore speed very small. Tanks of the main ballast are filled, the submarine has negative buoyancy. Or the submarine has zero buoyancy but doesn't move, because accumulators are completely discharged. Wise old man Archimedes speaks: "My friends! That the body has completely plunged into water, its weight should equal to weight of the water, which it has forced out!". We answer: "Yes! We have made it! But now at us the weight of a submarine is more than water weight." Then Archimedes speaks: "Good-by my friends! Happy journey on a bottom. Greetings to Poseidon!". But we can be directly be under a water surface mirror. We use horizontal rudders and our very small speed. But we can't make weight of a boat less than weight of water and to float up on a surface. We don't have compressed air to get rid of excess weight in ballast tanks. Archimedes maliciously giggles. Especially now in SH3 when dear h.sie realized the possibility of the Full discharge of batteries.
Poul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 03:18 AM   #2992
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50

Poul

Wonderful explanation I made the same experience: Without propulsion and with compressed Air manometer dial showing "0" you are still able to surface, because the CA tank isn´t completly emptied, IIRC. We had this discussion some time ago in the german ubi-forum (unfortunatly the forum is down atm, so not possible to reread). It´s the same effect then neverending batteries. Maybe developer´s will?
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 03:55 AM   #2993
h.sie
Admiral

@Poul, Leitender: Already on the Todo-List.

But unfortunately, in the next time I'll have only spare free time for programming and also I'll mainly focus on visual sensors together with makman94.

Greetings to Kazakhstan!
Old 01-03-12, 02:16 PM   #2994
jean74
Medic

Downloads: 150

Hi Mr H.sie

In your "todo-list" have you foreseen the possibility to have a thermal layer in SH3?

For me it would be a great improvement to randomize the ability of the destroyer to detect submarines?

Could it be done?!?

Best regards,

Jean
jean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 05:01 PM   #2995
Victor Schutze
Chief

Downloads: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean74 View Post
Hi Mr H.sie

In your "todo-list" have you foreseen the possibility to have a thermal layer in SH3?

For me it would be a great improvement to randomize the ability of the destroyer to detect submarines?

Could it be done?!?

Best regards,

Jean
I thought thermal layers were simulated randomly by SH3 Commander?! or am I wrong?

Last edited by Victor Schutze; 01-03-12 at 06:51 PM.
Victor Schutze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12, 07:52 PM   #2996
Kongo Otto
Commodore

IIRC the U-Boots didnt had the technical capability to work with the Thermocline.
Then the next question is how deep is the thermocline in the North and South Atlantik, iirc it differs to the Pacifik.
Old 01-04-12, 02:04 AM   #2997
h.sie
Admiral

Correct, Thermal layers are not on the todo list, since SH3-Commender already models them.
Old 01-04-12, 05:53 AM   #2998
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

What is on your todo-list?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12, 01:43 PM   #2999
h.sie
Admiral

I have no access to it ATM, but I remember that it is overcrowded.
Old 01-04-12, 02:08 PM   #3000
jean74
Medic

Downloads: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.sie View Post
Correct, Thermal layers are not on the todo list, since SH3-Commender already models them.
Hi Mr H.sie,
Many thanks for your reply. I was hoping that you had included it in your "todo-list" because SH3 COMMANDER randomizes the value at each game launch (but not during the game). That's why I don't use SH3 COMMANDER.
But, all your improvements replace widely this lack. You are more passionate than me and your choices in modding SH3 are better than mine. Thank you for all your modifications in SH3. Keep up the good work .

@ Kongo Otto and Victor Schutze
Thank you for your replies and explanations,

Best regards,

Jean
jean74 is offline   Reply With Quote