SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-03-11, 07:06 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
In my knowledge i5 2500 doesn't come with hyper threading. Yes you do get 4 physical cores but no HT.

But the graphs is astounding those i5 2500s are really fast huh.

I've taken a look at the price of i7 2600. Imo it's worth having the extra threads. It's about 300 bucks here. Arma 2 and Shogun 2 and Empire or Napoleon could make use of those. Better still it looks like I'll be postponing buying the CPU an motherboard altogether for a few months until B3 motherboards are fully stocked. All more time to save.

I know buying 4 cores 8 thread CPU is not much useful if it's just running daily chores but the games which I play however few could make use of those threads
Check the later graphs where they tested for example Crysis. The difference is smaller than you think.

It does not matter whether or not you have this feature or that gimmick abpoard. The difference it makes - or not - for the overtall performance is what counts. And is the additional minimal gain worth 100 euros? In some tests in those graphs the two CPU scored even identical! Does the 2500 really need HT then?
Old 03-03-11, 08:24 AM   #17
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Just grab a 760 and clock it to 3.4GHz, done.

* and hyperthreading is more likely to cause lesser performance in games, than an increase.
I'd settle for i7 880 or i7 875K or i7 870 but there's no stock of either. It means I have to buya new motherboard and I'd choose LGA 1155 socket than the older LGA 1366.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Check the later graphs where they tested for example Crysis. The difference is smaller than you think.

It does not matter whether or not you have this feature or that gimmick abpoard. The difference it makes - or not - for the overtall performance is what counts. And is the additional minimal gain worth 100 euros? In some tests in those graphs the two CPU scored even identical! Does the 2500 really need HT then?
To my understanding Crysis is not actually a heavy CPU hitter. If they used Combined Operation for the test it would be another matter. A lot of graphs would mean little unless the test is done under circumstances that would make use all the i7 2600 threads. Combined Operation would make use of all 7 threads leaving the remaining one for background task and operating system. Now test with that under significant number of AI and action and I bet there will be a big difference between the four core no HT i5 2500 and the four cores 8 HT i7 2600 because in the i5 2500, 3 core would be utilized for the game while in i72600 7 thread would.

As it is I'm aware there's so few games that actually take advantage or need of i7 full power(7 thread for application).

But in the end I haven't put off the idea of getting i5 2500 than getting i7 2600. If the difference in price is huge why not. It's not like I have to decide right away. It will need some time for the B3 motherboards to be fully stocked. Wiki states by April but I doubt that it will probably take at least another month or even 2 here. And if I'm happy with Shogun 2 performance with the new GPU I will probably postpone getting a new mobo and CPU until a year in the future.
Old 03-03-11, 08:49 AM   #18
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Have you checked the xeon 3xxx?
You don't need a new motherboard, and they pack great bang per watt
Old 03-03-11, 10:27 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
To my understanding Crysis is not actually a heavy CPU hitter. If they used Combined Operation for the test it would be another matter. A lot of graphs would mean little unless the test is done under circumstances that would make use all the i7 2600 threads.
Well, then look at other benchmark tests, or the ones included in my link, which are more about typical CPU load. In most of these you do not see huge differences. But if you wait naother couple of months, then you could be right, prices chnage from week to week in this business, and it could very well be that the difference in bucks becomes so small that it becomes irrelevant.
Old 03-03-11, 06:31 PM   #20
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
Have you checked the xeon 3xxx?
You don't need a new motherboard, and they pack great bang per watt
Yeah only I'd like to keep my PC as cool as possible and I don't think my mobo is designed for AMD CPU. It's a P55 motherboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Well, then look at other benchmark tests, or the ones included in my link, which are more about typical CPU load. In most of these you do not see huge differences. But if you wait naother couple of months, then you could be right, prices chnage from week to week in this business, and it could very well be that the difference in bucks becomes so small that it becomes irrelevant.
The two most important test graph in the link you provide are these two:
You won't see any difference or significant advantage between i5 2500 and i7 2600 unless you test for all threads and all cores to get utilized. I know this because I played ArmA 2 from time to time and experienced significant improvement from my CPU from a Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz to an i5 2 core 4 thread 3.33GHz with the same GPU.

Old 03-03-11, 07:03 PM   #21
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Yeah only I'd like to keep my PC as cool as possible and I don't think my mobo is designed for AMD CPU. It's a P55 motherboard.
Ahh, you've mistaken
I'm talking about these:http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...x?series=42926

Just got a Xeon 5620

I can under volt if i want extra low energy consumption.
Its power consumption is 80w at original voltage. While at the same time its performance is probably better than the similar core i7 920 at 130w

Xeons are quite hard to get, but if you get one within your price range, I will definitely recommend one
Old 03-03-11, 08:34 PM   #22
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
Ahh, you've mistaken
I'm talking about these:http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...x?series=42926

Just got a Xeon 5620

I can under volt if i want extra low energy consumption.
Its power consumption is 80w at original voltage. While at the same time its performance is probably better than the similar core i7 920 at 130w

Xeons are quite hard to get, but if you get one within your price range, I will definitely recommend one

hey thanks didn't know it exist lol. Thanks appreciate the information very much I'll start asking whether they've got that in stock.
Old 03-04-11, 12:02 AM   #23
Castout
Silent Hunter

No stock..again at least not the 3Ghz one that I wanted the nearest alternative was so far away down the range.
Old 03-04-11, 09:03 AM   #24
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:

As far as I know, those graphs represent rendering time on CPU alone. Games use the card for rendering. Don't think those are valid when it comes to gaming performance.

I have an "old" C2Q running at 3.4GHz. I can assure you A2 does not even come close to using alll that power. I saw more improvement going from 8800GTS512 to GTX460, than from C2D to C2Q.

Think you might be misleading yourself.

Contritium praecedit superbia.

Last edited by Arclight; 03-04-11 at 09:20 AM.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote