SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-03-10, 08:13 PM   #16
UF582151
Watch

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

For what its worth, a way around the stadimeter bug I read somewhere is as follows (I have still to try but apparently it works)

The bug right now is that no matter what ship you identify the stadimeter is using a standard 20 m mast height. So the rule of the thumb to get the accurate distance is:

stadimeter_reading x real_mast_height / 20

I'll let you know when I try it a few times see if the really works.
UF582151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 08:23 PM   #17
vois2
Engineer

Downloads: 0

Brilliant. Kudos to you, emtguf.

Yet another reason that Subsim is the friendliest and best place on the interwebs.

I donate to Subsim because it is one of the best communities on the Interwebs.
Stick around a couple of years, and you will see. You're never far from a friend here.
Sunk at location vois22 [at] gmail . com
vois2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 10:33 PM   #18
Vaga
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 43

Quote:
The Stadimeter is broken right now so it can be tricky getting accurate ranges from it alone.
Nice tutorial however I believe this statement is wrong and feel free bash me on this however the Stadimeter is not broken at all. Features of ships were altered in WW2 to help make it harder to target a ship. Sometimes they would extend the length of the mast or mak something shorter if possible. This way the germans had to keep on their toes and find ways to properly target a ship. This is in fact a built in feature of the game to make targetting harder.

You have to learn from experience where to aim at a target and not expect a standard location on every ship. The only problem with this feature is it that I doubt ships were so varied from the start of the war. It would have taken a while to modify the ships. Allot of the time it was the crew on the ship that made the changes so they could make the trips with a smallest amount of danger possible.

However at the start of the war I am sure they did not have a detailed accurate mesurment on every ship adding to the problem of getting an accurate range.

The only way to ensure an accurate range was experience and trying several methods of targetting. You had to get a feel for how far away something was and if your range was accurate and if they altered the ship by extending the mast or funnels. They could even add more metal to the command deck.

The best thing for getting an accurate reading is experience and knowing what to aim at. Since it would be hard to simulate all the possible changes that could be done to modify the ship (making the ship taller and shorter)
and model them in game it was easier to just make one model and have you figure out what to aim for.
Vaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-10, 11:28 PM   #19
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaga View Post
Nice tutorial however I believe this statement is wrong and feel free bash me on this however the Stadimeter is not broken at all. Features of ships were altered in WW2 to help make it harder to target a ship. Sometimes they would extend the length of the mast or mak something shorter if possible. This way the germans had to keep on their toes and find ways to properly target a ship. This is in fact a built in feature of the game to make targetting harder.

You have to learn from experience where to aim at a target and not expect a standard location on every ship. The only problem with this feature is it that I doubt ships were so varied from the start of the war. It would have taken a while to modify the ships. Allot of the time it was the crew on the ship that made the changes so they could make the trips with a smallest amount of danger possible.

However at the start of the war I am sure they did not have a detailed accurate mesurment on every ship adding to the problem of getting an accurate range.

The only way to ensure an accurate range was experience and trying several methods of targetting. You had to get a feel for how far away something was and if your range was accurate and if they altered the ship by extending the mast or funnels. They could even add more metal to the command deck.

The best thing for getting an accurate reading is experience and knowing what to aim at. Since it would be hard to simulate all the possible changes that could be done to modify the ship (making the ship taller and shorter)
and model them in game it was easier to just make one model and have you figure out what to aim for.
statement about stadimeter being broken is correct. There is a stock bug of target's mast height being stuck at 20m no matter what ship you select in the recognition manual. This will cause totally inaccurate stadimeter readings unless of course the ship has a mast height of 20m.

I have a totally automatic fix for it in my UIs mod. Once you select the ship from the recognition the mast height is automatically set for you to the correct value so that when you use the stadimeter you get correct range readings (if you use the stadimeter correctly that is )
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 03:04 AM   #20
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

... or a manual solution through ERMc where I draw a green line in the rec manual where the stadimeter will give the correct range to every ship in the game as shown bellow.

The beauty in this is that it gives a lot of room for errors. Closer you are, better values you get but also the risk to be spotted will increase dramatically, so it add a great level of realism. If the target is far away, you will have a hard time to measure the range and the chances to get a perfect shot are minimal. Also, in stormy condition you will need to work hard to get these values, no computer will do the job for you.

So, no more millions of tons sunk in 1 patrol, exactly as it was in real life. Work hard and be proud of your achievements.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 12:28 PM   #21
Redroth
Swabbie

Downloads: 16

Tryed downloading your mission and using it however the mission starts you in a position where the ship intended is already aware of you and making evasive manovers. making it very hard to use the TDC
Redroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 08:47 AM   #22
AndreyE
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 22

Can't download it anywhere ^(
AndreyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-14, 10:14 PM   #23
keith_uk
Torpedoman

Downloads: 101

My stadimeter seems to be broken. I put the line on the ships water line, but when i click on range in the TDC, i can only scroll the second line DOWNWARDS, below the first water line and not above it to the mast top.

Anyone have any idea whats going on with this?

Keith.
Samsung SSD 830 Series
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
keith_uk is offline   Reply With Quote