SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-09, 02:27 PM   #16
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

It works great for me not sure what could be wrong. I checked this while working on my Ship Lengths mod for TMO, worked every time like a charm.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 08:28 PM   #17
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Okay, thanks.
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 12:16 AM   #18
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4

You must move the aob dial used to send the aob not the aob dial in the PK. When the PK is OFF and you move the aob dial (rigth top of the screen) the aob dial in the pk will move too. And it's needed to send the aob with the button once you matched the 0 in the aob dial (PK) with the target course.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 02:04 AM   #19
Nicolas
Commander

Look, after reading the range twice with the stadimeter, the clock icon gives you speed and course ok?, now then drag the aob dial (up right) so the other aob dial in the PK matches the course of the target (outer dial).

Its far more easier to attack multiple ships now, after shoting the first target, lock the second one, adjust aob, get range and fire!.

I made a video for you from the torpedoes training mission:
Note how the aob dial in the PK moves.
Old 06-29-09, 10:26 AM   #20
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default potential

This mod, once figured out, has great potential. Of course, calculation speed using the 3 minute rule is simple, and determing the target's aspect ratio with the mojor mads is not difficult. But getting the target's course input properly without using the protracter hss been damn near impossible. Using the mod, the target's course displayed on the TBT can be matched to its actual course by adjusting the AoB dial on the upper right, and it is a whole new ball game. If the target is at great distance, it will be interesting to see if it can be successfully attacked once its course is input. Destroyers are still a pain because they change course, but if they they linger on a set course too long they can be had.

The explanation should be refined to make it clear to everyone, and made into a sticky.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 11:08 AM   #21
Nicolas
Commander

Look, my english it's not good enough, the video it's self explanatory if someone (you?) want to help me write refined instructions it will be good!
The mod ins't hard to install, and it's working.
Old 06-29-09, 12:56 PM   #22
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default test report

Utilizing the TBT mod fix, I ran a mission using the submarine school mission re torpedo attack to test Mr. Nicolas' mod.

The target is a Mogami cruiser with a draft of 19.5 feet on a course of 95 degrees, traveling at 9.5 kts. My boat is brought to a heading of 30 degrees to test the mod.

Two shots at Mogami's starboard side at over 4,600 yards, topedo speed of 31 kts. miss the target's bow by a ship length. I had adjusted the Mogami's course to 93 degrees, which may have resulted in the missed shots.

Two shots at 2,500 yds; torpedo speed 46 kts. Mogami's course is reset to 95 degrees. One hit and one miss. The missed shot was set to run at depth of 21 feet, and it must have passed underneath the Mogami whose draft is around 19 feet.

My boat is stocked with 4 four forward torpedoes and 2 aft torpedeos, and contains a reserve as well. I have expended the the four forward torpedoes with one hit and three misses. Now the crew is reloading the forward torpedoes.

The Mogami lies is dead in the water as a result of the single torpedo impact, and its speed is 0.0 kts. My boat crosses its bow and proceeds approximately 4,000 yds., comes around, and begins a torpedo run on the Mogami's port side. Target's course is still 95 degrees. At 3,000 yds I fire the two aft torpedoes; torpedo speed speed set at 46 kts. The sonarman announces a torpedo impact, but there is no explosion. It must have been a dud. Inspection reveals no damage on the port side of the Mogami. The other aft torpedo detonated prematurely. My boat has expended its two aft 2 after torpedoes and the crew is reloading them.

I continue to close on the Mogami from its port side.

The crew has reloaded one torpodo in the forward compartment. Target's course is still 95 degrees. A shot at 2,500 yds hits the Mogami.

Conclusion: Seven shots. Three hits, four misses. [Two close misses via forward tubes at long range (by less than 100 yds.) One hit via forward tubes at mid range (approximatley 2,500 yds). One miss via forward tubes at mid range (approximately 2,500 yds.) because torpedo depth was likely set too deep. One hit via aft tubes at at mid range (approximatley 3,000 yds.) but no explosion (dud?). One miss via aft tubes due to premature detonation. One hit via forward tubes at 2,500 yds. 3 for 7 or 42 percent contact ratio. 3 close misses and one dud.
Eliminate the premature detonation and ratio of hits is 50 percent (3 for 6).

The AoB mod seems to work well. Even though the target was dead in the water for some of the shots, my boat was moving at an angle. Note, once the AoB is set to the target's course, I turn on the PK to follow the target as this ensures that changes to the AoB are maintained. Before turning the PK on, I check the attack map to ensure the topedo's angle intersects the tarpet, as this verifies course, speed and AoB. If your seting are right, if you miss the shot it won't be by much.

p.s. I quit FOTRS. Too many airplanes. Way too many. And too many messages. Great graphics though.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 06-30-09 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-29-09, 01:01 PM   #23
Munchausen
Commodore

Okay, nice video. The viewer especially needs to watch that last part where PK is running and you attempt to change target heading ... it clearly shows that PK must be "off" for the mod to work.

I like it. I just can't get it to work. I'll try again by loading an "in port" save and see if that makes any difference.
Old 06-29-09, 04:29 PM   #24
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Okay, nice video. The viewer especially needs to watch that last part where PK is running and you attempt to change target heading ... it clearly shows that PK must be "off" for the mod to work.

I like it. I just can't get it to work. I'll try again by loading an "in port" save and see if that makes any difference.

Refer to post 13 in this thread. That may help. I have the mod working in TMO/RSRDC and FOTRS.

Nisgeis would like this mod I'll bet.
Old 06-30-09, 02:17 PM   #25
Munchausen
Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Refer to post 13 in this thread. That may help.
I think I've tried everything ... no soap. I suspect it's simply a glitch in my install (please don't send me the "how to uninstall SH4" link ... I already used it once ... and then discovered it wasn't specifically for Windows XP ... but that's another story).

It isn't the first glitch ... when I cursor over a torpedo on the loadout page, the data window only gives me the type of torpedo ... none of the other data your supposed to get. So this could be something similar. Evidently, another promising career (2nd patrol) down the tubes ... time to clean 'er up, from stem to stern (uninstall SH4 again) then start from scratch.

'Cause this mod is too good to pass up.
Old 06-30-09, 04:48 PM   #26
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Manchausen

I changed the data file in FOTRS per Mr. Nicolas. In TMO/RSRD there was not a data file to change so I changed the stock game. I quit FOTRS for tjhe time being because of the number of planes, which was too much to deal with. But the visuals in FOTRS are terrific.

I am still missing some shots, but I have hit a few in the middle of the night in a dark sea at 1000 yds, firing at around +/-30 degrees off heading, and I nailed a tanker as it crossed my stern with aft tubes firing.

I am sold. I like the fact that once you find course and speed, you can play with the TDC dial for AOB and verify the corresponding TBT result on the attack map. Oce you do that, turn on the PK and sit back and relax until the target changes course. Destroyers often alter course, so they are tough to track.

This mod is right up there with Nisgeis' torpedo angle calculator, and aaronblood's MoBo. Just to be able to tackle thes types of mods requires math and computer skills beyond most skipper's capabilities.
Old 07-01-09, 12:41 AM   #27
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Not much of poster here mainly a reader and mod leech , but the problem others are having not getting this to work is easily solved and my mouth refuses to stay silent (no pun intended).

Dial 14 is loading the command "Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow" first on some configs, i play GFO atm not sure if this fix applies to TMO or RFB, ill let others take a look. Just comment out that command on dial 14 (as below) before you apply post #13s step by step.

[Dial14]
Name=Sol_Angonbow
Type=27; DIAL_SOL_ANGONBOW
;Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow
Dial=0x3B0F00FF
CrtVal=0x3B0F0001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=-180,180
RealVal=-180,180; degrees
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=5
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

Thanks for finding this gents, truly awesome find

-depthdragon
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 12:43 AM   #28
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Wow, what a mod!

I have had mixed luck until yesterday, having made careless errors in my attack including forgetting to set the target's speed, setting the torpedo run depth way to deep and not adjusting it, etc. But tonight was another story. I fired two 46 kt. torpedoes at a medium old split freighter at an AoB of less than 10° and a range of 4,403 yds. Both hit the freighter! My speed was 1 kt., as I had slowed to maintain a distance of 1,000 yds from the target's course to preserve the opportunity for a Dick O'Kane 90° degree shot in case the two shots missed. 4,403 yds. blows away my longest torpedo contact by 1,500 yds. Nicolas, your mod has changed the balance of power in the Pacific vis a vis the SS Barbarinna. Frankly, I couldn't believe that I whacked the freighter at an incredibly steep angle and from a mega distance! I did not think such a thing was possible unless luck played a big part. I was wrong on that account. I saved the mission, so I can watch a replay.

How can we corner the market on this mod?

Nicolas, the girl on the rigth wants to go out with you.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-01-09 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-01-09, 01:37 AM   #29
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

I was bored and intrigued by this quick fix which has gone unnoticed for 2 years, and as I was looking at the dials page noticed you can change the speed the same way as Nicolas's AOB fix. So here is steps to change the targets speed which will move the gyro angle on the PK as well.

1) Add another dial to your dial number as the same with the AOB fix above, in my case its was 75

[DIALS]
DialsNo=xx

--------------

2) Replace or comment out "Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value;" shared between dials and add Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed, on dial 57.

[Dial57]
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_Speed
Type=69; DIAL_TGT_SPEED
Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed
;Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value; shared between dials
Dial=0x43020002
CrtVal=0x43020003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0.01,-8.78; 360/41
RealVal=0,40; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5

--------------

3) Comment out "Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed" in dial #15

[Dial15]
Name=Sol_Speed
Type=28; DIAL_SOL_SPEED
;Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed
Dial=0x3B1000FF
CrtVal=0x3B100001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=15,345
RealVal=0,55; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
SndStep=1
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.Speed,55

--------------

4) Add (paste) this new dial to the end with xx being your new number in my case it was 75.

[Dialxx]
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_Speed
Type=69; DIAL_TGT_SPEED
;Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed
Cmd=Set_tgt_sel_value; shared between dials
Dial=0x43020002
CrtVal=0x43020003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0.01,-8.78; 360/41
RealVal=0,40; knots
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
SndStep=5

*You can comment or replace the commands as you see fit. I prefer to comment out as if i need to revert back i have the command there already.

Enjoy! And thanks again Nicolas for getting my mind going on this one, may open some doors to opening some new functionality sorely missing from SH4.

-depthdragon
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 07:56 AM   #30
Nicolas
Commander

Im going down: what you mean 'corner the market'?
Next time try firing at a convoy 2 or 3 ships in 1 attack

-----
About the install, i checked with stock game and tmo, works as described in post 1.