SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-17, 05:32 AM   #2941
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103
Uploads: 0

Who cares what a random actress thinks about a terrorist attack which happened on the other side of the ocean? We also pay way too much attention to random right wing populists. It's like when one of them farts the media immediately leaps at his/her ass to get the green cloud on tape in order to make a big thing out of it and so that average joe freaks out and panics.. Gz, I bet when I step outside right now to shout some random racist slurs I'll be in the 8 o'clock news, too and be praised as the new right wing jesus, huh?

They should stop reporting such nonsense and focus on what those people say which have something to lose rather than to listen to some clowns which can shout whatever lie they want..
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-17, 06:16 AM   #2942
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

http://www.dw.com/en/german-police-p...ior/a-38123750

"Months before Anis Amri rammed a truck into a crowded market, police warned he was planning an attack. Authorities ignored their calls for his deportation, saying such a move was legally impossible."

I see. If it was legally impossible, then we indeed must endure such attacks, that is sad, but a burden that we must carry. Good that we cleared this one up. At least we have ha da heart-warming memorial ceremony. Without Amri, we wouldn'T have had that, so I take the opportunity to thank the man for what he has done - fairness where fairness is due.

Ah, Jaeger at it again, I read. That name we already know from the aftermaths of the NYE mass sex attacks at Cologne were he also manouvered in shady and dubious ways and spoke in obvious split tongues.
Old 04-03-17, 07:06 AM   #2943
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39481770
http://www.rbc.ru/textonlines/03/04/...?from=newsfeed
explosions in Saint Petersburg metro.

3 stations are closed, death toll is being calculated.

Last edited by ikalugin; 04-03-17 at 07:40 AM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:02 AM   #2944
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Oh sh... sorry to hear that

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 09:40 AM   #2945
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

ikalugin, Has there been one or two explosions? Somewhat confusing information at the moment.
Old 04-03-17, 09:49 AM   #2946
Skybird
Soaring

I wonder whether we will project the Russian flag on the Eiffel tower and the Brandenburger gate, like we did in the past with German and French flags after terror strikes.

German news says German intel strongly associates Muslim terrorism with the deed.
Old 04-03-17, 09:52 AM   #2947
Susexx
Planesman

Downloads: 94

All station closed.
Susexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 02:37 PM   #2948
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraznyi_oktjabr View Post
ikalugin, Has there been one or two explosions? Somewhat confusing information at the moment.
There was one, it exploded when the train was between the stations. Second device was found and disarmed. Metro in SPB got locked down but now is partially open (without the areas affected by the explosion), there is increased security, currently appartment buildings are being searched for possible bombs.

Toll so far appears to be 10-11 dead and 45-47 injured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I wonder whether we will project the Russian flag on the Eiffel tower and the Brandenburger gate, like we did in the past with German and French flags after terror strikes.

German news says German intel strongly associates Muslim terrorism with the deed.
My guess is that you won't.
Old 04-03-17, 03:57 PM   #2949
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Sorry to hear about this, doesn't matter what country a terrorist attack happens in, innocent lives were lost and that is a sad tragedy. I hope they catch the terrorists quickly so more people won't be hurt.

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 04:52 PM   #2950
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
Sorry to hear about this, doesn't matter what country a terrorist attack happens in, innocent lives were lost and that is a sad tragedy. I hope they catch the terrorists quickly so more people won't be hurt.
Rgr that

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-17, 10:54 PM   #2951
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

We won't, which will point out the despicable hypocrisy behind these acts.

While I like the act, the symbol itself, I despise the differentiation.
Sure, somewhere you gotta do it, otherwise the Eiffel tower and our gate would fly a different flag every day, flags most people wouldn't even recognize...

However, in Russias case we have to, and I'd like to, just to remind everyone that the dangers coming from the responsible ideology affect us all, and to show a tiny sign that our countries should not entrench each other more and more, but need to find ways of a peaceful Co-existence, instead of repeating all this cold war lunacy.

We fought a terrible war with Russia not even 100 years ago, followed by decades of political near-miss situations almost leading to global thermonuclear war.
We made some progress in the past 20 years, and now we throw it all away.

If we won't show honest(!) solidarity with Russia about these attacks, like we did with france, we're not only hypocrites, but damn fools also.

Russia =/= Putin. Let's not forget that.
And let's hope that most Russians also will never fall for their governments propaganda.

It pains me to witness where all the recent events are leading.

I don't know if my country will let the Brandenburg gate shine in Russias colors today, but I know my heart is with the victims of another Islamic attack today, the true enemy of Europe.

Time to wake up.
Time to get our priorities straight.
Old 04-05-17, 05:29 AM   #2952
Skybird
Soaring

Kulturpalast in Dresden:

(source: http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeit...g-solidaritaet)

The Brandenburger Gate was denied. The senate weaseled and claimed that St. Petersburg is no partner city of Berlin.
Old 04-06-17, 02:41 PM   #2953
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

One of the main stories in the Primetime news was about this Sarin attack in Syria. The host and some of the guest(some of them expert in different areas)said a USA lead military attack on Syria could be very close-Either they wait for the UN to give the green light for such a move or USA would take the step by their self. Plus those countries who support USA.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 02:51 PM   #2954
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
One of the main stories in the Primetime news was about this Sarin attack in Syria. The host and some of the guest(some of them expert in different areas)said a USA lead military attack on Syria could be very close-Either they wait for the UN to give the green light for such a move or USA would take the step by their self. Plus those countries who support USA.

Markus
The whole thing leaves a lot of questions open. Why would Assad or the Russians use Sarin now? They are winning, so why use a weapon that will most likely trigger an incalculable risk? It just doesn't make sense. Assad has pretty much nothing to gain from that but everything to loose so why would he do that? Wouldn't it be more plausible that one of the losing parties in Syria wants a US intervention and therefore staged the whole thing?
Trump could surely use a military intervention to distract from his so far disastrous presidency...but intervening in Syria for that....I don't think even he would be that stupid after the glorious outcome of Iraq.
Old 04-06-17, 03:47 PM   #2955
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

The other possibility is that it was not a gas attack by the Assad regime. It could be a rebel stockpile or a false flag operation to trigger U.S. intervention.

Here is an article which discusses the possibilities:

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/04/0...ment-in-syria/

not saying its true or not, facts are really sketchy at this point, but it is a possibility. As usual, there is a rush to judgment without actually finding out what the facts are.

There had also been other articles questioning whether the Assad regime was responsible for the 2013 gas attacks. For example this article by Seymour Hersh which said that various Rebel groups linked to Al-Qaida and/or Turkish intelligence also had access to Sarin Gas:

Quote:
Obama’s change of mind had its origins at Porton Down, the defence laboratory in Wiltshire. British intelligence had obtained a sample of the sarin used in the 21 August attack and analysis demonstrated that the gas used didn’t match the batches known to exist in the Syrian army’s chemical weapons arsenal. The message that the case against Syria wouldn’t hold up was quickly relayed to the US joint chiefs of staff. The British report heightened doubts inside the Pentagon; the joint chiefs were already preparing to warn Obama that his plans for a far-reaching bomb and missile attack on Syria’s infrastructure could lead to a wider war in the Middle East. As a consequence the American officers delivered a last-minute caution to the president, which, in their view, eventually led to his cancelling the attack.

For months there had been acute concern among senior military leaders and the intelligence community about the role in the war of Syria’s neighbours, especially Turkey. Prime Minister Recep Erdoğan was known to be supporting the al-Nusra Front, a jihadist faction among the rebel opposition, as well as other Islamist rebel groups. ‘We knew there were some in the Turkish government,’ a former senior US intelligence official, who has access to current intelligence, told me, ‘who believed they could get Assad’s nuts in a vice by dabbling with a sarin attack inside Syria – and forcing Obama to make good on his red line threat.’

The joint chiefs also knew that the Obama administration’s public claims that only the Syrian army had access to sarin were wrong. The American and British intelligence communities had been aware since the spring of 2013 that some rebel units in Syria were developing chemical weapons. On 20 June analysts for the US Defense Intelligence Agency issued a highly classified five-page ‘talking points’ briefing for the DIA’s deputy director, David Shedd, which stated that al-Nusra maintained a sarin production cell: its programme, the paper said, was ‘the most advanced sarin plot since al-Qaida’s pre-9/11 effort’. (According to a Defense Department consultant, US intelligence has long known that al-Qaida experimented with chemical weapons, and has a video of one of its gas experiments with dogs.) The DIA paper went on: ‘Previous IC [intelligence community] focus had been almost entirely on Syrian CW [chemical weapons] stockpiles; now we see ANF attempting to make its own CW … Al-Nusrah Front’s relative freedom of operation within Syria leads us to assess the group’s CW aspirations will be difficult to disrupt in the future.’ The paper drew on classified intelligence from numerous agencies: ‘Turkey and Saudi-based chemical facilitators,’ it said, ‘were attempting to obtain sarin precursors in bulk, tens of kilograms, likely for the anticipated large scale production effort in Syria.’ (Asked about the DIA paper, a spokesperson for the director of national intelligence said: ‘No such paper was ever requested or produced by intelligence community analysts.’)

Last May, more than ten members of the al-Nusra Front were arrested in southern Turkey with what local police told the press were two kilograms of sarin. In a 130-page indictment the group was accused of attempting to purchase fuses, piping for the construction of mortars, and chemical precursors for sarin. Five of those arrested were freed after a brief detention. The others, including the ringleader, Haytham Qassab, for whom the prosecutor requested a prison sentence of 25 years, were released pending trial. In the meantime the Turkish press has been rife with speculation that the Erdoğan administration has been covering up the extent of its involvement with the rebels. In a news conference last summer, Aydin Sezgin, Turkey’s ambassador to Moscow, dismissed the arrests and claimed to reporters that the recovered ‘sarin’ was merely ‘anti-freeze’.

The DIA paper took the arrests as evidence that al-Nusra was expanding its access to chemical weapons. It said Qassab had ‘self-identified’ as a member of al-Nusra, and that he was directly connected to Abd-al-Ghani, the ‘ANF emir for military manufacturing’. Qassab and his associate Khalid Ousta worked with Halit Unalkaya, an employee of a Turkish firm called Zirve Export, who provided ‘price quotes for bulk quantities of sarin precursors’. Abd-al-Ghani’s plan was for two associates to ‘perfect a process for making sarin, then go to Syria to train others to begin large scale production at an unidentified lab in Syria’. The DIA paper said that one of his operatives had purchased a precursor on the ‘Baghdad chemical market’, which ‘has supported at least seven CW efforts since 2004’.

A series of chemical weapon attacks in March and April 2013 was investigated over the next few months by a special UN mission to Syria. A person with close knowledge of the UN’s activity in Syria told me that there was evidence linking the Syrian opposition to the first gas attack, on 19 March in Khan Al-Assal, a village near Aleppo.
In its final report in December, the mission said that at least 19 civilians and one Syrian soldier were among the fatalities, along with scores of injured. It had no mandate to assign responsibility for the attack, but the person with knowledge of the UN’s activities said: ‘Investigators interviewed the people who were there, including the doctors who treated the victims. It was clear that the rebels used the gas. It did not come out in public because no one wanted to know.’
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v36/n08/seymou...d-the-rat-line

Tags
terrorism