Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-24, 03:20 PM   #2896
Dargo
Admiral

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
It's not like they don't receive ammo at the front-They do, but it's far from enough.

Ukraine lack more than ammos.

Despite this, they are giving the Russian a fight for the bucks.

Markus
And they start to grind down the Russian offensive Russia on the moment can only replenish there forces not building for the next offensive. Russia lost 12% of its oil refinery capacity in a day the successful refinery strikes of yesterday, involving a reported launch of 58 drones, as well as recent hits on a Russian domestic gas transmission pipeline, all demonstrate that the January successes were not one-off special operations, but rather the beginning of what will be a sustained Ukraine armed forces campaign capable of, over time, significantly disrupting Russia’s all-important oil and gas import revenues and internal refined-product supplies. https://www.kyivpost.com/post/29575 Ukraine still can hit Russia hard this with themselves developed weapons (copied and improved Shahed drones). Ukraine's defence industry was a major part of the Soviet defence industry, responsible for 17% of Soviet defence production and 25% of its scientific research they know what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
A victorious Destroyer is like a ton against an ounce.

Last edited by Dargo; 03-15-24 at 03:38 PM.
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-24, 05:50 PM   #2897
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Not good at all-Is there a solution to this major production problem ?

Quote:
This applies to important types of weapons from tanks, artillery, armored vehicles and to ammunition. We have major shortcomings in the defense industry, which, as Stoltenberg pointed out in October 2023, is the foundation for defence, deterrence and security.
https://nyheder-tv2-dk.translate.goo..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-24, 06:27 PM   #2898
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Not good at all-Is there a solution to this major production problem ?

https://nyheder-tv2-dk.translate.goo..._x_tr_pto=wapp

Markus
The states must guaranty that those investments in those new plants are not for nothing after a certain time period and states must invest more in their defence.

Quote:
Old 03-15-24, 06:52 PM   #2899
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Europe is in for a very hard and harsh wake-up call from cruel reality. It will be traumatizing, due to own fault.

He that will not hear must feel.
Old 03-15-24, 07:47 PM   #2900
Dargo
Admiral

Quote:
Old 03-15-24, 09:03 PM   #2901
Dargo
Admiral

Trench warfare in FPV drone era: an analysis
‘War is the mother of all inventions’ stated historian AJP Taylor in 1972. Whilst this remark upon the First World War would meet with perhaps some understandable opprobrium in 2024, the concept that innovation both renders obsolete some technology and shapes warfare is one borne out by twenty-first-century evaluation (War and Technology – Foreign Policy Research Institute (fpri.org)). As has been documented in our previous articles [1,2] the FPV drone, a weapon deployed in numbers which have surged since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, can arguably be seen as a weapon that has shaped aspects of warfare on the modern battlefield. Their application has been shaped by the operational needs of the combatants, with General Zaluzhny remarking on their value in December of 2023 [3].

The opening months of the Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 saw concerns raised [4] about the obsolescence of certain weapon systems. At the beginning, Bayraktar TB2 drones were highly effective against Russian armoured columns, raising doubts about the utility of main battle tanks, but after their initial widespread impact, their perceived ascendency appeared to wane [5]. Nevertheless, it is now widely accepted that the tank remains a critical battlefield asset... https://tochnyi.info/2024/03/trench-...a-an-analysis/

Quote:
Old 03-16-24, 05:41 AM   #2902
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Finnish Ministry of Foreign Affairs talks about sending troops to Ukraine

Quote:
Countries in the West, including the US, should not prevent the sending of troops to Ukraine in the long term, states Finnish Foreign Minister Elina Valtonen.

“It’s important that we not rule everything out for the long term, because we never know how serious the situation becomes. But the Finnish position is clear: We are not right now sending any troops and not willing to discuss that," Valtonen said.

According to Politico, Valtonen's remarks mainly relate to the long-term hypothetical choice of NATO member countries. However, it is not excluded that European countries facing a direct threat from Russia may want to consider this option more seriously.

The Finnish Foreign Minister also noted that the most important thing now is that supporters of Ukraine continue to assist the warring country.
"Many European countries could do so much more," Valtonen emphasized.

At the end of February, French President Emmanuel Macron did not rule out the possibility that NATO could deploy troops to assist Ukraine. However, there was no consensus at that time. He later clarified that French troops could be sent to Ukraine in the event of a renewed Russian advance towards Kyiv or Odesa.

Several NATO countries opposed this idea, including Germany, Czechia, Bulgaria, Poland, Spain, and Italy. However, countries are willing to consider this possibility, including Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.

Estonian Prime Minister Kaja Kallas supported Macron's idea, stating that the readiness to send troops to Ukraine is a signal to the Russian dictator Vladimir Putin.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...4f094406&ei=13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 06:39 AM   #2903
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russia's losses in Ukraine as of March 16: Almost 1200 invaders and 31 motor vehicles

Quote:
Russia's losses in the war against Ukraine as of Saturday morning, March 16, amounted to 1160 occupants, bringing the total number of Russian army losses since the beginning of the full-scale invasion to 429,580. In addition, the Ukrainian Armed Forces destroyed 31 motor vehicles and tankers, 26 artillery systems, and 24 armoured combat vehicles, according to the General Staff of the Armed Forces.

The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02.22 to 16.03.24 are estimated to be:

・personnel - about 429,580 (+1160) Russian invaders were killed;

・tanks - 6779 (+21) units

・armored combat vehicles - 12,973 (+24) units;

・artillery systems - 10,606 (+26) units;

・MLRS - 1017 units;

・air defense systems - 719 (+2) units;
・aircraft - 347 units;

・helicopters - 325 units;

・UAVs of operational and tactical level - 8268 (+14) units;

・cruise missiles - 1922 (+2) units;

・ships/boats - 26 units;

・submarines - 1 unit;

・motor vehicles and tankers - 14,024 (+31) units;

・special equipment - 1712 (+1) units.

According to the Institute for the Study of War (ISW), the Ukrainian Armed Forces control heights to the northwest of Avdiivka near Novobakhmutivka and Ocheretyno, complicating Russia's advance in this area.

In Ukraine, there were 78 combat clashes on the frontline over the past day. Aviation conducted strikes on 7 areas of enemy personnel concentration.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...6cbf4f22&ei=66

Old 03-16-24, 07:18 AM   #2904
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
https://www-t--online-de.translate.g...x_tr_hist=true

More specific info on what I assumed privately already and what made me demanding that we - all nations, not just Germany - deliver them more ammunition - but made me much more hesitent to exclusively focus on just delivering Taurus.
What I did not forgive them however was the early reason given by a speaker of the chancellor's office that they do not want to give Taurus away due to Taurus being used to interrupting - slow - Russian supply lines over the Kerch bridge - that is no sane logic in this war.
One thing however seems to be clear: the Russians are extremely worried about Taurus.
I hate to admit that maybe Bubble Olaf is right for once, but it seems to me he is right on this.

https://www-focus-de.translate.goog/...en&_x_tr_hl=de

If he would not have run such a bad policy in the years before and would not have established such a lousy reputation as a fail communicator over the past 15 years if not all his career, this story now would not have fallen so heavily on his feet.

I have been hesitent on Taurus, too, since I dont know the technological background, and how many of these we even have, but I assumed that something like what now got known had somethign to do with it. The specific details I did not now, of course, and could not guess.
My expectation always focussed on much more general supplies , SAMs, artillery ammunition - and not just from Germany, but every NATO country.

Hm.

That's another demand I share with recent Bubble Olaf. What a bad day this is, promises a lousy weekend.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-16-24 at 07:26 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 10:02 AM   #2905
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Secret classes to counter Russian brainwashing in occupied Ukraine

Quote:
Like millions of other Ukrainians, in the early weeks of Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Nataliia (not her real name) was forced from her home.

She couldn't tolerate living under Russian occupation in her southern hometown of Melitopol, and felt she would be more useful in territory still controlled by Ukraine.

But Nataliia didn't just leave her home and relatives behind, she also surrendered her profession, giving up her job of 20 years as a teacher.

Now she spends her time giving online classes to hundreds of her former students.

The risks for her, and her remote class, are huge.

"No-one had done this before," Nataliia explains to us. "Not in Crimea, or in the occupied Donbas, Kherson or the Zaporizhzhia regions."

Portraits of Vladimir Putin now hang on the walls of Nataliia's old classrooms in Melitopol. The pupils must both learn, and sing, the Russian national anthem. They are even obliged to write "inspirational letters" to Russian soldiers.

This is how Ukrainian children are educated in territories occupied by Russia. They are taught that Ukraine isn't a real country - and Nataliia says, if a child challenges the curriculum, their parents are threatened with beatings or torture.

It's why Nataliia, with her former colleagues, created an online teaching platform to try to "save the minds of Ukrainian children".

"Once we launched it, I wrote a neutral letter, offering the classes to all of the parents," explains Nataliia. "I didn't know who was pro-Ukrainian or pro-Russian, and they knew my home address and my relatives".

She says even uttering the word "occupation" can result in Russian authorities visiting your home. If there is any evidence of loyalty to Ukraine, such as a child's homework being written in Ukrainian instead of Russian, a trip to the police station could follow.

And yet, hundreds of families have taken up Nataliia's offer to teach the Ukrainian curriculum - and numbers are growing.

In the morning, they attend Russian school, and in the afternoon or evening, the pupils have secret online lessons with Ukrainian teachers.

"Safety is more important than knowledge. All the students join with their cameras off and use false nicknames," says Nataliia.

Recordings are provided for those who might not have a signal or power.

"It's not so important to teach children what year Taras Shevchenko [a famous Ukrainian poet] was born, or the rules of geometry, but to keep them connected with Ukrainian culture," she explains.

"I have one student who came home and cried after the Russian lessons. This is too much psychological pressure for a child. All their lives they lived in a Ukrainian environment - and suddenly, everything changed."

Valera (not his real name) goes to a Russian school but also attends online Ukrainian classes. The 14-year-old told us only six out of his 31 classmates support Ukraine. He says he tries to resist Russification when he can.

"Once we turned on the Ukrainian anthem during our lesson, on the phone," he recalls. "Then they started to search everyone. I hid my phone; once they played their anthem - everyone stood up, we remained seated."

He says he always wanted this additional Ukrainian teaching, but Valera believes he is going to be made to join the Russian army.

Nataliia concedes the purpose of her teaching is constantly tested. The longer Russia occupies Melitopol, the greater the risk children living there will be indoctrinated.

"I can't check their homework normally," she says. "I fear for our future generation. It's very important to keep these children connected to reality. But it is so difficult to do."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-68578822

Old 03-16-24, 03:33 PM   #2906
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 03:10 AM   #2907
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

That's made my day!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 08:16 AM   #2908
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Russian volunteers appeal to Putin, name condition for negotiations

Quote:
Today, on March 16, fighters of the Freedom of Russia Legion, the Russian Volunteer Corps (RVC), and the Siberian Battalion issued a joint appeal to Russian dictator Vladimir Putin. The volunteers voiced a condition for possible negotiations.

Representatives of the volunteer units noted that fighting has been going on for several days in the border regions of the Russian Federation, but the Kremlin is trying to block the evacuation of residents, in particular, because of its intention not to "darken" the picture of the pseudo-election process.

"Vladimir Putin, the whole world has been watching for several days now as the Russian city of Belgorod, as well as Belgorod and Kursk regions, have turned into a zone of active hostilities. At the same time, the administration you appointed, despite our repeated appeals, is preventing the evacuation of civilians," the statement reads.
The volunteers emphasize that because of this, "civilians continue to suffer and die solely because of the ambitions of the Kremlin leader."

"We urge you to stop this circus, think about the fate of innocent Russians, and allow the evacuation of civilians from the war zone. Your elections have long since turned into a complete farce. Stop forcing ordinary people to participate in your performance at the polling stations under bombs and artillery fire," the RDC, FRL, and Siberian Battalion say.

The fighters point out that Putin has long lost his legitimacy, and "under the current circumstances, even the appearance of an election process has disappeared."

"It is obvious to everyone that Russia needs immediate and fundamental changes," the joint statement says.

According to the volunteers, the need for "a profound transformation of the government's relationship with the people, a frank conversation about new fair social rules" has long been overdue in Russia.

"If you are ready to discuss the future of our country without dictatorship and authoritarianism, we, for our part, are ready for such a conversation. If you still have the courage and responsibility, please contact us in a way that is convenient for you," the statement reads.

On March 12, volunteers from the Freedom of Russia Legion, RDC, and Siberian Battalion, who are fighting on the side of Ukraine, broke through the Russian border. These volunteer battalions entered Kursk and Belgorod regions from the territory of Ukraine. Later, the soldiers took control of the village of Tetkino in the Kursk region of the Russian Federation.

On the morning of March 14, residents of Belgorod complained about strikes and Russian media reported an alleged breakthrough of the subversive group in Belgorod region. Heavy fighting was also reported in the village of Kozynka.

On March 15, Russian volunteers issued an urgent message announcing a massive attack on military targets in the city of Belgorod and urged locals to immediately take cover and not go outside until the attack was over. Today, on March 16, fighters from the Freedom of Russia Legion and the Siberian Battalion warned of their intention to launch a massive attack on military targets in Belgorod and again asked locals to take cover.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...d1e364a8&ei=22

Old 03-17-24, 08:39 AM   #2909
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Macron switches from dove to hawk on Russia's invasion of Ukraine

What came over Emmanuel Macron to turn him from appeaser to warmonger in the matter of Russia and Ukraine?

That - crudely put - is the question being asked in chancelleries across Europe, as the French president warms to his new role as the continent's resister-in-chief to Vladimir Putin.

Certain countries - the Baltics, Poland - welcome President Macron's apparent conversion to their "realistic" assessment of the Moscow threat.

Others - notably Chancellor Olaf Scholz's Germany - are aghast at this new-found va-t-en-guerre (gung-ho) French spirit.

All are confused and uncertain. How genuine is the new Macron line? Is his recent refusal to rule out sending troops to Ukraine just another of his surprises - testimony to his insatiable need to cut a diplomatic dash?

And how much of his new positioning is purely politics?

European elections are approaching, and the hard-right of Marine Le Pen and Jordan Bardella looks set to trounce the Macronites.

So is Emmanuel Macron using Ukraine to create a fault line between his side and the opposition, setting a contrast between his own lucid belligerence and Ms Le Pen's turbid complicity with Moscow in the past?

In a live interview on French television on Thursday evening, the president implicitly acknowledged that these critical questions were being asked.

But in true Macron fashion, he set out not to mollify but to assert. Far from muting his new-found alarmism, he explained it.

Not remotely embarrassed about his "conversion" from dove to hawk, the president's view was that the one inevitably had to precede the other.

Only after all efforts to reach out to an adversary have been exhausted, he argued, is it possible to say conclusively that that adversary is beyond the pale.

Furthermore - the second part of his self-justification - he argued that the Russians have now pushed their aggression to a whole new level.

The Kremlin, he said, had in recent months "got noticeably harder-line" - placing the Russian economy on a permanent war-footing; stepping up repression of internal opposition; escalating cyber-attacks on France and other countries.

With Ukraine looking increasingly beleaguered, and the United States no longer dependable as an ally, Europe was entering a new world, he said: "A world where what we thought was unthinkable actually happens."

This is why, according to the new Macron doctrine, France and Europe needed to be preparing a sursaut - a mental leap out of the cosy certainties of the dying era and into the harsh realities of the new one.

In deliberately Churchillian tones, he believes that in order to keep the peace, Europe needs to be ready for war.

As always with Emmanuel Macron, the logic is impeccable; the arguments unbreakable.

But as always with Emmanuel Macron there is also the question: he may convince, but can he persuade?

Because the French head of state's abiding difficulty is not, obviously, lack of brainpower - but the ability to convert that brilliance into a different talent: leadership. A capacity for getting others to follow.

And on this issue, it is far from clear that the others will fall in line.

The most glaring sign is the rift that separates the French leader from the man who is supposed to be his closest ally in Europe, Germany's Olaf Scholz.

In traditional Franco-German style, both sides are now publicly patching up and putting on the mandatory common front. Hence the Macron visit to Berlin on Friday.

But no amount of man-hugs can conceal the fundamental discord: France accusing Germany of foot-dragging on help for Ukraine, and wilful blindness in clinging to the permanence of the US security umbrella; Germany accusing France of reckless belligerence, hypocrisy (its arms deliveries are in fact way behind Germany's), and Macronic grandstanding.

But domestically too, support for Emmanuel Macron on Ukraine is softer than he likes to think.

Polls show that a big majority - around 68% - oppose his line on sending Western troops. More generally, while most people are clearly opposed to Russia, the Ifop polling company reports a "progressive erosion of support for the Ukrainian cause".

And if there is indeed an electoral subtext to his new hard line on Moscow - intended to expose the far right's ambiguities - then it does not seem to be working. Opinion surveys show support for Le Pen's National Rally (RN) only strengthening.

In transforming into Europe's leading anti-appeaser, President Macron is once again staking out new ground.

He is taking the lead, and pushing Europeans to think hard about their security, and about the sacrifices that may soon become necessary.

All this is no doubt welcome.

His difficulty is that too many people react badly to him.

They resent his self-belief, and feel he too readily confuses what is right for Europe and the world with what is actually just right for France - or himself.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68575251

Old 03-18-24, 12:02 PM   #2910
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat