SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.20%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 195 18.71%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.11%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 552 52.98%
Voters: 1042. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-08, 06:35 AM   #271
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3

Capt. Jack SIR! The interest in this mod is high SIR! People here are eager!

Last edited by tomagabriel; 04-24-15 at 07:03 AM.
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 02:20 PM   #272
XPETIT
Watch

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

For me, I prefer the last submarine.

I found that Triomphant, Ohio or 949A are very beautifull. Espacially, I love the submarine with the winglets (or tails) on the cowning, like The redoutable or Triomphant. It's typicall of the modern sub........See those giant just under the sea is marvellous.
XPETIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 04:56 PM   #273
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280

w3lcome to subsim!!!

and i have to agree with you, they are amazing, giants of the deep. and one sword sharper than the pen!

(had to add that for dramatic effect)
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!
Sledgehammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 10:16 PM   #274
treblesum81
Frogman

Downloads: 71

I'm a little confused here, are there plans to use Dagon's subs? or are they off limits for some reason?

Also, I want to point out that a lot of newer stuff is available (assuming we can use those subs) and a lot of the older stuff can be modded up from what we already have available, so it seems that one of the hardest parts is out of the way aleady if this mod were to cover the 40 year span of the war...

Then again, I'm no professional modder, so I'm not all that sure that some of the newer technologies could be made to work within the framework of SH4 (Missiles, TMA, etc..), but I was able to glean (using what little Russian I know) from the Russian forum where Dagon's boats are posted that items such as missiles are doable, if difficult, in SH4.

I would think, aside from that, that the hardest part of creating this mod would be scripting 40 years worth of sub activities into the game, and over and above that, providing the players with something more engrossing than driving their boat out to the middle of the pacific or atlantic and running through a month-long patrol...
treblesum81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-08, 09:02 AM   #275
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

hehe, just a little polling wisdom: never make "cake and eat it too" a choice. It will skew your results.

One argument in favor of early rather than late: remember that in addition to new submarines, you would need an almost completely new roster of surface ships for late Cold War, even all new merchants.
Old 05-09-08, 02:05 PM   #276
treblesum81
Frogman

Quote:
One argument in favor of early rather than late: remember that in addition to new submarines, you would need an almost completely new roster of surface ships for late Cold War, even all new merchants.
You make a good point there... not that I'm any sort of modding authority anyway, though...

Although I'd like to point out that there are quite a few user created ai warships already available, meaning that if a few of those modders could be recruited to work on them, the new surface fleet would come together relatively quickly. I think its also important to point out that, other than the US, Russia, and a handful of other countries, a great deal of the population of the navies of the world were constantly refitted WWII ships (the last time a sub fired a torp in anger was in the Faulklands and it was at a WWII BB)... In addition, modern ships are not so visually complex as their WWII counterparts, lacking the multitude of guns and tower structures in favor of missiles and a smaller radar signature...

In any case, I think that the more modern stuff (i.e. 1960-end) will probably be the more popular, if only because of the mystique around the modern subs. Whichever way things pan out though, I think at the very least that a move needs to be made away from the older surface running boats (while later diesel boats still had to surface, they could run at speed for ~12hr) so that the mod could open up the world of strictly or at least primarily underwater ops, something that only the Type-XXI has only been able to accomplish so far.
Old 05-09-08, 02:53 PM   #277
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81
Quote:
You make a good point there... not that I'm any sort of modding authority anyway, though...

Although I'd like to point out that there are quite a few user created ai warships already available, meaning that if a few of those modders could be recruited to work on them, the new surface fleet would come together relatively quickly. I think its also important to point out that, other than the US, Russia, and a handful of other countries, a great deal of the population of the navies of the world were constantly refitted WWII ships (the last time a sub fired a torp in anger was in the Faulklands and it was at a WWII BB)... In addition, modern ships are not so visually complex as their WWII counterparts, lacking the multitude of guns and tower structures in favor of missiles and a smaller radar signature...

In any case, I think that the more modern stuff (i.e. 1960-end) will probably be the more popular, if only because of the mystique around the modern subs. Whichever way things pan out though, I think at the very least that a move needs to be made away from the older surface running boats (while later diesel boats still had to surface, they could run at speed for ~12hr) so that the mod could open up the world of strictly or at least primarily underwater ops, something that only the Type-XXI has only been able to accomplish so far.
Well, if the focus is on the Cold War between Nato and USSR, then the equipment of minor players like Argentina or Turkey will hardly figure large in the gameplay. There would be very little that could be recycled 30 years or more after the war.
Old 05-09-08, 03:07 PM   #278
treblesum81
Frogman

This is true, but the point is that SH4 has provisions for "filler" vessels (non-war ships in the environment), so that just means updating those, if it was even a consideration, would really be a non-issue...
Old 05-09-08, 09:37 PM   #279
bohemian007
Bilge Rat

Default Does 688i can play in American career?

Does 688i can play in American career?

I have U-Boat expansion (V1.5)

Thank you.
bohemian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 12:32 AM   #280
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian007
Does 688i can play in American career?

I have U-Boat expansion (V1.5)

Thank you.
U/l version nuclear subs for version 1.4 only. Versions for 1.5 and more subs WIP now.

Last edited by denis_469; 05-10-08 at 11:16 PM.
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 04:28 PM   #281
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblesum81
I'm a little confused here, are there plans to use Dagon's subs? or are they off limits for some reason?
No, they are not off limits and Dagon approves their use in this mod. If we decide to do a late cold war setting than we will probably be using a lot of his boats.

On a seperate note, I do understand how big of an undertaking the entire cold war would be, and a mod of that magnitude is very probably not possible. As for implementing all the new tech, I really don't think state of the art weapons systems are possible. For instance, the Mk 48 ADCAP torpedo can be programmed for automatic search patterns, they can be given an attack ceiling (the weapon can attack targets no shallower than X feet) and they send all their sensor data back to the weapons officer. I really don't think this level of complexity is possible for a game that really wasn't meant to have guided torpedoes (let alone missiles) in the first place.

Of course, I do have only limited experience with SH4 scripts and code, so a lot of modern systems may well be do-able; the only trouble is that I don't currently have anyone to work on scripting and figure out what is and is not possible in the engine.

In the end, however, if modern subs cannot be given their full capabilities then they will not be part of the game. As of the moment, I feel the mod should start with the beginning of the cold war and move on from there as my (future) modding team figures out how to implement more advanced tech in game.

Modern sub simmers need not despair, though, because as I have said more than once, BattleCry: Redemption will have all of the modern submarines (both diesel and nuclear) as well most all of the surface ships, including a potentially large civilian fleet. Furthermore, every major system on every ship will be fully functional, from a Los Angeles's trash disposal unit to the strategic missiles on the SSBNs.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-08, 09:56 PM   #282
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

I think the esaiest would be the 1945-60
we could always add more years later with newer ships....

and I think some electro boats were comissioned into the soviet navy....
and no doubt the XXII inside would be a close stand in for an early soviet boat interior....

Plus...this sub was a dirivitive of the E-boat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_class_submarine

and this was pretty much was an IX class....i think it had some post war use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_S_class_submarine

We may have the romeo but it is also supposed to be an electroboat dirivitive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romeo_class_submarine

so with some model tweaking we might have some more russian boats

Last edited by gimpy117; 05-10-08 at 10:29 PM.
gimpy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 04:52 AM   #283
tomagabriel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 110
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
Modern sub simmers need not despair, though, because as I have said more than once, BattleCry: Redemption will have all of the modern submarines (both diesel and nuclear) as well most all of the surface ships, including a potentially large civilian fleet. Furthermore, every major system on every ship will be fully functional, from a Los Angeles's trash disposal unit to the strategic missiles on the SSBNs.
Well I personally voted for late era. But! I understand and agree fully with what you said about the difficulty of implementing such modern systems in something so WWII-ish. As a result I would be more than happy to know that an early cold war mod is at work regardless of my vote here. What can be done should be done. I suppose that is normal. My vote was a poit that I've made that there is interest in that part of naval history.

Now about this Rdemption since you've mentioned it. Where can I find some more info? (like single/multi/any bots/etc.?)
tomagabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 04:29 PM   #284
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232

I've run some scenarios in SH2 using a slightly modded Type IX u-boat modded to mimic a Project 613 boat (Whiskey class submarine, also modified sdf's). Lemme tell ya, getting out of Murmansk in '45 to the North Atlantic with all the air cover and destroyer screens was a b*tch (not to mention trying to shnorkel).

If all else fails, a "Soviet Aces" mod for SH2 would be welcome!

Yours, Mike
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 05:35 PM   #285
treblesum81
Frogman

I'm pretty sure the mod will pick up after all the outward hostilities have ceased, meaning you might put to sea under "enemy" (no clear statement to the fact was ever offered) observation by air or sea, but you wouldn't have to defend against them (you couldn't anyway, after the war almost all subsequent sub designs and upgrades removed the surface defence and attack capabilities).

That being said, the actual mod is going to need some sort of combat involvement, otherwise it will be year after year of empty patrolling, so Russian and US forces may need to be shifted around a bit to make the gameplay possible.