SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-30-10, 01:57 AM   #2731
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0

I would like a mod that has sea life, such as whales, seals, and porpoises, rays, flying fish, billfish, sharks, an occasional giant squid, and on very rare ocassion, sea snakes. After all, we are in the south Pacific, where they are prolific. The modders can throw in a mermaid or two if they have a sense of humor, and if they are whacked out, toss in a polar bear. How hard could it be?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 02:42 AM   #2732
Mescator
Soundman

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I would like a mod that has sea life, such as whales, seals, and porpoises, rays, flying fish, billfish, sharks, an occasional giant squid, and on very rare ocassion, sea snakes. After all, we are in the south Pacific, where they are prolific. The modders can throw in a mermaid or two if they have a sense of humor, and if they are whacked out, toss in a polar bear. How hard could it be?
If that's a dig at me my question was to establish if this would work without adverse effects like repeating sounds, not asking Duci to do it. I would have added the sound in myself.

Having read my post though, i can see how it would come across how you've interpreted it, so i apologize.

Edit: Having thought about it a bit anyway, i can see why it wouldn't have been attempted. Multiple charges = Audio Spam

Last edited by Mescator; 11-30-10 at 02:56 AM.
Mescator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 12:27 PM   #2733
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescator View Post
Wouldn't it be easy enough to add the sonar man saying that into sound file played when the charge hits the water?
The depth charge splash sound, is being used by multiple objects, not just depth charges. Although, you may have hit on something, as i wonder if its possible to assign a new (and isolated) sound to just the depth charges. Then you could make it any sound you wanted, you'd just hear it ALOT on a Y thrower run.

I'd poke at that, I may have tried it in the past, i may not have, i hacked at the problem endlessly, but i don't even have SH4 installed at the moment. I just installed a new hard drive a couple weeks ago and just haven't gotten around to reinstalling Silent Hunter related items yet.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 12:35 PM   #2734
Flybywire
Soundman

Downloads: 83
Default Beta Update?

Where can I find TMO_20_Beta_update. I have been away for a long time but am now getting ready to take to the sea.
Flybywire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 06:06 AM   #2735
Mescator
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Then you could make it any sound you wanted, you'd just hear it ALOT on a Y thrower run.
Yeah, this was my logic as well. I wasn't aware of multiple sounds calling on that audio file though, which definitely rules it out =(

Something i was thinking about today; Would you actually hear the charges hit the water without the Hydrophones in real life? If not (And assuming your idea to assign a unique audio file works out) You could probably play a sound with the sonar man informing you charges are on the way down, followed by 10 seconds of blank audio to prevent spam. Of course, if you were listening on the Hydrophones that would be weird, unless there's a second separate file for the Hydrophones which could have the normal charge noise in it?

My time, unfortunately, is limited this week (12 Hour days suck), but I'll have a fiddle with what meagre skills i have with SH files this weekend. At the least I'll mix up a few different Depth Charge sounds with the sonar man in them, so if something does work out the files exist. Don't feel obliged to reinstall either mate, i know your feeling burnt out at the moment so I'll tinker away at it for the time being
Old 12-02-10, 11:16 AM   #2736
Onehunglow
Nub

Downloads: 32

Does TMO 2.0 use a version of NSM or a modified damage system like RFB 2.0 or just stock?
Onehunglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 02:46 PM   #2737
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onehunglow View Post
Does TMO 2.0 use a version of NSM or a modified damage system like RFB 2.0 or just stock?

Much better than stock but doesnt use NSM.Although I admire the work, I didnt care for the way ships go down in RFB.I had to put 6 torpedos into a small taihosan maru.One torpedo in RL and the small fry would basically vaporize, esp if explosive cargo aboard.I think the NSM for large warships and very large merchants would be great.But read countless stories about ships going down very quick, less than a minute.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 02:37 PM   #2738
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3228

I have a couple of questions about time compression and the Poul Sound in TMO 2.0 (without RSRDC):

What is the recommended time compression limit for TMO? I have some CTDs in high compression rates.

I have some CTD when I run in surface (high speed) from an enemy base, after an attack. It seems some sound produces the CTD. I use Poul Sounds, I want to know if this sound mod is totally compatible with TMO 2.0 plus the beta patch.

Many thanks and regards!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-10, 09:52 PM   #2739
Mescator
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
I have some CTD when I run in surface (high speed) from an enemy base, after an attack. It seems some sound produces the CTD. I use Poul Sounds, I want to know if this sound mod is totally compatible with TMO 2.0 plus the beta patch.
When i was fiddling around with poul sound i was creating CTDs with alarming regularity. I never fixed it, but certain sounds in certain camera views would cause a crash, which was weird because my version of the sound would crash the game, but Pouls would not, despite his being longer and larger.
Old 12-04-10, 04:41 AM   #2740
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
When i was fiddling around with poul sound i was creating CTDs with alarming regularity. I never fixed it, but certain sounds in certain camera views would cause a crash, which was weird because my version of the sound would crash the game, but Pouls would not, despite his being longer and larger.
Most of the Sound Samples are supposed to be limited to 15 Sec Max. Many of the Sound Samples in many many MODs exceeds this limit and can cause many different problems.

If you can edit the sounds and trim them down to 15 seconds or less and save with propper format and quality you will not get as many CTD's or Sounds sticking in loop.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 05:11 AM   #2741
Mescator
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Most of the Sound Samples are supposed to be limited to 15 Sec Max. Many of the Sound Samples in many many MODs exceeds this limit and can cause many different problems.

If you can edit the sounds and trim them down to 15 seconds or less and save with propper format and quality you will not get as many CTD's or Sounds sticking in loop.
Thats the thing, i was replacing 20 - 30 seconds long clips with sounds that were under 15 seconds and getting CTDs, despite the 30 second long sound working fine. Even custom sounds i made that were over 15 seconds still did it.
Old 12-04-10, 06:27 AM   #2742
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3228

Quote:
Thats the thing, i was replacing 20 - 30 seconds long clips with sounds that were under 15 seconds and getting CTDs, despite the 30 second long sound working fine. Even custom sounds i made that were over 15 seconds still did it.
Yesterday, in campaign in Palau Islands, a lonely destroyer attack me at night, I run away in surface at flank speed and attack the destroyer with the cannon. The destroyer hit my sub, I took damage, and - in the moment I think the destroyer hit me with the decisive and fatal salvo - the game go to CTD. I think a sound of explosion of my sub, or another sound problem with Poul sounds, cause this CTD. Today I´ll try TMO without the Poul mod, I want that mod installed, but the CTDs are very frequents...

Many thanks and regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 07:56 AM   #2743
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
The sample rates (Sound Quality) are not correct. Look at the sample rates of the stock sounds. That is the sample rate that should be used when making new sound samples. If you try to get high quality sample rates it causes problems.

Old 12-04-10, 08:05 AM   #2744
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262

Quote:

I'm having the exact same problem. See my posting about it here I just made http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177685

Beast, you say it's the "sample rates" how do we tweak this or make sure it's the same as stock?
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-10, 09:57 AM   #2745
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
I'm having the exact same problem. See my posting about it here I just made http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=177685

Beast, you say it's the "sample rates" how do we tweak this or make sure it's the same as stock?
I use Wavepad to edit the OGG and WAV files. Typically a voice sample rate should be 44100 Mono. Some other sound samples may be stereo but I wouldn't recommend it as the game handles left/right frwd/back channel control depending on you sound settings and sound hardware.
If you try saving at a higher quality sample rate you will have problems.
if you are using 44100 mono and still having problems, it may what Jan point out, faulty hardware or drivers.