SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-12, 09:01 PM   #256
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

All too confusing. I intend to save the game well away from any program file folder. I'm thinking C:\Ubisoft\silenthunter3\ or whatever.

Last edited by TDK1044; 01-09-12 at 09:15 PM.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 07:39 AM   #257
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Keeping the installation away from C/ProgramFolder should see you good to go but personally I install into D/Ubisoft/SHIII

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 07:10 PM   #258
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

Game installed like a dream. Plays full screen all the way up to 16:9 on my Laptop. Installed GWX3 Gold. amazing mod! Fps is over 300 in the sub and about 150 on the busy exterior shots. Everything very smooth.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 08:59 AM   #259
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044 View Post
Game installed like a dream. Plays full screen all the way up to 16:9 on my Laptop. Installed GWX3 Gold. amazing mod! Fps is over 300 in the sub and about 150 on the busy exterior shots. Everything very smooth.
Pleased your enjoying the GWXperience

Old 03-05-12, 12:44 AM   #260
Rebel22777
Watch

Downloads: 43

Hey Guys

Bought SH 3 after discovering this forum with all the mods. Been playing other mods for awhile...

Anyway, after hours of trying, from this site's instructions and from Ubisoft's site, I have been unable to install on W7 Home 64b.

Mainly I have installed, patched. Can not install NoDVD - not allowed, even though I am admin. Also can not install elsewhere apart from X86 as clicking on browse kicks out error. Starforce removal also ran.

System. Intel i5 Quad
ATI 5700 1 Gb
Ram 4Gb

Any help out there? Frustration is running high. Either you gain a new member or the dog gets a new toy!!

Thanks.....
Rebel22777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 05:40 AM   #261
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel22777 View Post
Hey Guys

Bought SH 3 after discovering this forum with all the mods. Been playing other mods for awhile...

Anyway, after hours of trying, from this site's instructions and from Ubisoft's site, I have been unable to install on W7 Home 64b.

Mainly I have installed, patched. Can not install NoDVD - not allowed, even though I am admin. Also can not install elsewhere apart from X86 as clicking on browse kicks out error. Starforce removal also ran.

System. Intel i5 Quad
ATI 5700 1 Gb
Ram 4Gb

Any help out there? Frustration is running high. Either you gain a new member or the dog gets a new toy!!

Thanks.....
I've never attempted to install a version of the game with StarForce on W7 before, I purchased a new game disc.

Sooooooooo presuming you have successfully removed StarForce.............install to X86, the game should create a Ubisoft folder and all the programme files can be found within.

Right click on the SH3 exe in said folder (the one on desktop as well) then click on Properties then the Compatability tab then tick Disable Desktop Composition.

Hopefully you'll then be good to go.

Old 03-05-12, 07:07 AM   #262
Rebel22777
Watch

I am not even sure whether or not Starforce is present. The removal tool says no drivers, it's not under processes nor apparent in any files. Jury still out...

I did tick said box but still it gives property system error and the old windows me/nt 4.0/etc line. Even through Windows compatible manual settings it shows incompatible.

Am I right in saying that it should launch before 4gb patch or is the patch essential to launching? Same for the no-dvd...

At this rate I am wearing out the disk and hdd installing and uninstalling...man, can it really be this ridiculous?

Thanks for your help - hopefully something small missed somewhere...
Old 03-05-12, 11:53 AM   #263
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

If you are in need of the 'no DVD' then it is highly likely your disc is old and has Star Force incorporated.

Is your installation patched to 1.4b

I would concentrate on getting the game to work before thinking of the 4GB patch.

Old 03-05-12, 03:12 PM   #264
Rebel22777
Watch

Not so much a need for no-dvd as just following steps that has worked for others. And each has subtle and not so subtle differences in steps. This puts me into an elaborate process of elimination and discovery to boot.

For example, I downloaded your 4gb patch and when I tried to install it, it gave me different feedback from the one I have. Whether or not that is good is about to be discovered.

I have uninstalled everything, ran the SF removal, cleaned the registry and rebooted. Now I'll try and do just the game and see...

Just on a point of order, to sync our "language". The order of install would be the game, then 1.4b, then 4gb followed by any mods? Or are the 1.4b and 4gb the same thing?

Ps. The control panel shows the version as 1.4 but the version column appears to be numeric and not alpha numeric
and may be unable to read the "b". I'll patch it anyways.

Thanks for sticking around...

Last edited by Rebel22777; 03-05-12 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 03:23 PM   #265
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Or are the 1.4b and 4gb the same thing?
They are different - the v1.4 patch is an official Ubisoft patch that updates the game to that version.

The 4GB patch just patches the SH3.exe file so that it will use up to 4GB of memory (if available) instead of the original 2GB limit. It doesn't do anything else.

Updating the game to v1.4 is always the first step, but you should be able to apply the 4GB patch at any time after that (before or after enabling other mods). You can run a lot of mods successfully without the 4GB patch but there is a limit, and some of the bigger mods like Merchant Fleet Mod (which adds a ton of ships to the game) pretty much require it. So going ahead and using it before you start loading up on mods is advisable since you already know about it anyway.

Jimbuna's right though, getting the vanilla v1.4 game to run properly should be the first priority. Once you have that squared away you can start piling on the extras.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 04:11 PM   #266
Rebel22777
Watch

I should have come here first. Things are starting to make more sense...
In following steps given elsewhere I may have done too much too soon and got myself confused in the process. Having said that, I am however concentrating on the vanilla and patches in order to build a foundation for mods to follow.

OK. Step by step... and a new problem jumps out - First the above problem, then... "This program cannot update the installed version of silent Hunter III US DVD v1.0 to v1.3 because of the following reason: Program files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent HunterIII\data\Menu\de_menu.txt: unknown version."
But the control panel shows v1.4.

Edit: Got the European patch and it installed, now showing exe as v1.4.0.1. Running game brings up original problem. I have tried running it in compatibility mode for every single option, from W95 to W7. Nada.

I also tried with and without ticking the desktop comparison but no dice.

Orders?

Last edited by Rebel22777; 03-05-12 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-29-12, 06:13 PM   #267
RootBeer
A-ganger

Downloads: 122

Quote:
I should have come here first. Things are starting to make more sense...
In following steps given elsewhere I may have done too much too soon and got myself confused in the process. Having said that, I am however concentrating on the vanilla and patches in order to build a foundation for mods to follow.

OK. Step by step... and a new problem jumps out - First the above problem, then... "This program cannot update the installed version of silent Hunter III US DVD v1.0 to v1.3 because of the following reason: Program files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent HunterIII\data\Menu\de_menu.txt: unknown version."
But the control panel shows v1.4.

Edit: Got the European patch and it installed, now showing exe as v1.4.0.1. Running game brings up original problem. I have tried running it in compatibility mode for every single option, from W95 to W7. Nada.

I also tried with and without ticking the desktop comparison but no dice.

Orders?
I'm having the exact same problem. I bought a new laptop today and was looking forward to play SH3 with the settings on high for the first time ever, but it won't let me boot up the game. I've installed SH3 and the 1.4b patch, as well as SH3 Commander, which won't work until I've run the original game at least once. Hopefully I can get some help on here because I'm unable to find a copy of Silent Hunter 4 or 5 in store, so I have to get my fix with Silent Hunter 3 at least.
RootBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 12:18 AM   #268
Pointby
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 12
Default 640x480 resolution

I have the new DVD version that is already patched to v1.4. I'm running a triple screen setup and couldn't get the game to load. I finally got it to load by checking the box "Run in 640x480 screen resolution." That's in the properties box on the sh3.exe file. After the game loaded, I unchecked full screen. Now it runs perfectly. But I sure would like to have a larger screen!

I've gone through all the resolution fixes and compatibility modes (except for Display Changer). I end up with two workable results:
1. Running a tiny 1024 x 768 window at the lowest resolution
2. Running a higher resolution but having it run on all three screens at the same time.

Has anyone with an triple screen eyefinity setup found a way to run SH3 in a larger window?

Last edited by Pointby; 04-10-12 at 11:11 PM.
Pointby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 04:01 AM   #269
Troublous_Haze
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hello guys,

Recenty I switched from Win XP to Win 7 64bit

Instantly I spotted some sound problems with Sh3+GWX running on Win7:

1. The sound of diesel engines dissapears after pausing the game. The sound then can be revived, only by switching speeds or sometimes changing stations. Yesterday I could even hear aircraft flying above while I was at 60 meters depth ?

2. All sounds in GWX seems to be much quiter in Win7, than it was in WinXp.

Running onboard Realtek ALC888 soundcard with the latest drivers from Realtek website for Vista/Win7 32/64 bit

How can I solve these problems ? The first one gives the most headache at the moment
Old 04-21-12, 04:29 AM   #270
Belamor
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

Hey guys I have a problem. So yesterday I installed SH3. First it did not run, but after I changed my screen resolution it started to work. But there is still a problem, whenever i start a patrol my graphics are all weird. There are all sorts of lines that permit me to see some things. All my PC specs are fine and it should run the game smoothly. What should I do?
Belamor is offline   Reply With Quote