SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-07, 06:36 PM   #2596
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0

Should be on the F1 help screen
Old 12-19-07, 06:47 PM   #2597
CDR Resser
Lieutenant

Downloads: 65
Default GWX 2.0 and Crew

Kapt. Lehmann: I tried two different crew management profiles and two different careers with two different names.

jimbuna: The SH3 Cfg files were applied in the manner described in the instructions included with the readme.

Thank you all very much for your help. You have been quite patient with this Pacific Interloper.

Respectfully Submitted
CDR Resser

Holy Equestrian Order of Saint John Moses
Sometimes, in war, there is an inverse moral. The greater the performance, the harsher the consequence. R.H. O'Kane
CDR Resser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 07:09 PM   #2598
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR Resser
Kapt. Lehmann: I tried two different crew management profiles and two different careers with two different names.

jimbuna: The SH3 Cfg files were applied in the manner described in the instructions included with the readme.

Thank you all very much for your help. You have been quite patient with this Pacific Interloper.

Respectfully Submitted
CDR Resser
No worries at all mate. We are happy to help anyone having trouble setting up GWX. Also, don't feel like an invader. If you prefer Gatos to U-boats all it means is that you have different preferences. You are certainly welcome here.

I don't understand the whole 'us versus them' thing that sometimes goes on anyway. People just like what they like.

Regarding the GWX trouble you are having, I must confess to being almost out of ideas.

Therefore a couple of things:

Are you using Windows Vista? If so there is a relating section of the GWX manual you can view online at our website.

If you are using Win XP: One thing that helped me on two occasions that I recall, is to uninstall SH3 using your game disk... as it will remove relative registry files etc. Following that, go into your Ubisoft program file directory and delete any remaining SH3 folders/contents there.

Once that is done, we are left with only a drastic solution. Delete all the GWX files that you downloaded, and re-download them again. Just for the sake of simplicity and to remove a step for later revisitation, please hold off on installing SH3 Commander.

Starting from the ground up, install SH3... patch it to version 1.4b... download the GWX .exe and seven .bin files to your desktop (or all eight files into the same folder on your desktop.)

Recheck those files with the MD5 proceedures found on the FAQ page at our website.

Then run the GWX 2.0 .exe file again and let us know how it goes.

I wish I could just pop over and be available until it's sorted on your PC. Thanks for being patient with us too.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 08:01 PM   #2599
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR Resser

Respectfully Submitted
CDR Resser
Do I understand correctly when I conclude you use the buttons on the right in the F7 screen? the ones for "submerged cruise" and so forth, when you mention "crew management"?

because if that's the case that's what causing your problems, those buttons have never worked properly from stock sh3 onward, and will cause ctds, crew management in sh3 is a very hands on thing, unlike sh4...
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 08:02 PM   #2600
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Newbie successfully installs GWX 2.0!

Well, seems I'm not as cyber challenged as I thought I was. (Probably more due to the fact that your instructions are so nice and clean - all I really had to do was read and do what I was told.)

Thanks, firstly to the team, for what must have been 1,000's of man-hours in developement, coding and discussions - truely an amazing commitment to produce a 1Gb mod! Super indeed. Thanks also, to those who answered my initial enquiry about what to do, and in what order - made sense.

Just started with Naval Academy - I'm even enjoying that! (Weird, I know.)
Couple of things I've noticed that may be worth looking at if a further patch is ever contemplated. (Tell me to deep six myself if its too impertinent - I come from the school of Kaisan - the Japanese model of continual improvement - nothing is ever perfect, or 'finished', but at some point you do have to say 'enough' and get it out there (thank God you did).)
  1. In starting up the Navigation section, I hit 'Training', then 'View Tutorial' in quick succession - I thought it may be better to see Tutorial first. They both try to open together, so you have Realplayer voiceover going while the Training screen is opening. No biggy, but correctable (?) if you ever go back for more.
  2. Next, in Navigation, there are four objectives. The second (Navigate through the channel) never changes to 'Complete' on the 'Objectives' folder or in the after exam summary (even though I repeated the exercise 4 times). I alway got an "Excellent" rating, but tried zig-zagging to ensure maximum depth under keel; went all the way to the Ostsee on one run; went all the way to the Skagerrak on another. Decided that 3 out of four wasn't bad & went on to Shooting Things (liked that bit - nice bits flying off - even splashes in the water afterwards. Luverly!)
  3. Although at regular intervals there is an "Incoming Radio Message" announcement, I can never find them. There is no change on the 'Objectives' folder, and the Radio Man only has three folders: Report Contacts; Send Contact Report; and Send Patrol Report. There are no radio messages in the Report Contacts folder (because the radio message isn't reporting a contact, rather, its giving instructions, weather etc??)
  4. I lose deck-gun sounds when I go above 1x Time Compression. Normal?
  5. I also get the centre-screen dark triangular flashes (lasting way less than a second). Looks almost like the bow of a sub on the surface as seen from the bridge as it rises up the face of a big wave in stormy weather. (I'm using a Raedon 9250 card). Will try the 'Synchronise' setting in the Options panel - see if it helps.
  6. I may have missed them, but I do miss the hot-keys from previous games (SHI & SHII) for Crash dive 'C' (?), Blow Main Ballast 'B' (?) and, especially, incremental rudder control (5 degree increments port or starboard). I found this precise rudder control more user friendly than the current hard a'port or hard a'starboard on the square brackets. Is there a user hot-key setting override that I could implement for this?
These are definately NOT bitches. I love what you have all done, and can live with all of the above, but would love to see all these minor things answered in one way or another over time to bring further glory to your Wolfpacks wherever they may prowl.
Good Hunting
Gryff
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 08:09 PM   #2601
Gryffon300
Engineer

Downloads: 58
Default One other thing!

Is there any way to pay SHIII without using the game disc every time? I'm worried that over time the inevitable damage of frequent handling will result in loss of a vital section and, subsequently be unable to run the game!! I tried copying to a DVD, but then the security programme kicks it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Gryff
Gryffon300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 08:15 PM   #2602
donw
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 25

I'll jump in here and assist on a cpl of these for ya Mate!
1. Can't help - Been too long since I went thru it
2. Is connected to 3. "M" key will retrive your messages Follow each message as soon as you get it, and you will gain "completeness"
3. Explained above
4. Normal
5. Can't help
6. There's a button next to the compass, that takes you to a rudder indicator, that you can select from...(I think?) lol
Another fairly accurate means of changing course in small incriments, is looking thru any of the scopes/binoculars, move it to view a new heading, and press the +/= key. That changes "Heading to View"

As for crash dive and blow ballast...(take a look at your F1 screen), but I think its D and E

Last edited by donw; 12-19-07 at 08:27 PM.
donw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 10:36 PM   #2603
pappygb
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Please Help!!! Crash Issue

Im running with a pentium 4 on Windows XP with a NVIDIA 7800GT card 256 memory Direct X 9c. The game loads fine the first time after install. Once you attempt to start a mission the load progress bar freezes at about 95 percent completion. When you attempt to restart the game it crashes on initial start up with a "cannot initialize 3D engine" error message. I have re-installed and attempted to update my video card driver to no avail. If anyone has experienced the same problem I could sure use the help. Thanks,
-pappygb
pappygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 10:43 PM   #2604
donw
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappygb
The game loads fine the first time after install. Once you attempt to start a mission the load progress bar freezes at about 95 percent completion. When you attempt to restart the game it crashes on initial start up with a "cannot initialize 3D engine" error message.
I'll try to help Mate. But I have a cpl questions. When you say the game loads fine...please clarify. Loads all the way? Or just to the selection screen, ie single mission...career...etc etc

When it freezes at 95%...what have you done? Just shut it off and reboot windows?

GWX 2.0 takes a considerably longer time to load that 1.03 did. I have seen some people report 8-10 minutes.

Clear up the ? above and try waiting longer
Old 12-19-07, 10:44 PM   #2605
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Im running with a pentium 4 on Windows XP with a NVIDIA 7800GT card 256 memory Direct X 9c. The game loads fine the first time after install. Once you attempt to start a mission the load progress bar freezes at about 95 percent completion. When you attempt to restart the game it crashes on initial start up with a "cannot initialize 3D engine" error message. I have re-installed and attempted to update my video card driver to no avail. If anyone has experienced the same problem I could sure use the help. Thanks,
-pappygb
Hi Pappy,

When you get to the 95% loaded mark, wait five minutes more.

Loading times in SH3 are rather long due to a data bottleneck in the SH3 game engine. We've added a MASSIVE campaign and it takes a while to push all that data through the bottleneck. (Loading times are also influenced by system specs.)

Once it is loaded, it will take a few seconds to render the world and all the units around you... Then off you go!

So next time... when you feel that the wait has been too long... just wait a little more. (Don't touch that!)

A lot of GWX users state that it is a good time to make a pot of coffee.

Try again and then come back to let us know how you fared.

[Edit: Sorry for cross post DonW.]

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 12-19-07, 10:46 PM   #2606
Mush Martin
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 4

its not a bad time to make potato's n eggs either :hmm:

Tutorial
Mush Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 10:46 PM   #2607
donw
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
A lot of GWX users state that it is a good time to make a pot of coffee.
YOU"RE the only one I know that drinks coffee this time of night Kpt!
Old 12-19-07, 11:14 PM   #2608
pappygb
Nub

Default Clarification

The game loads up to the start mission selection screen in career mode. This is after changing realism, crew, u-boat, etc.... I waited for it to load and it gives me Sh3 has encountered and unknown problem. After the crash when you try to load the game it crashes after the grey wolves splash screen and intro movie... I then get a cannot initialize 3d engine error. I will try to copy and paste the error information in my next post ... may take a few minutes. -- thanks
-pappygb
Old 12-19-07, 11:21 PM   #2609
pappygb
Nub

Default Clarification

I have also found that my video resoultion on my display changes after the crash. When I open properties on my display it shows 480 x 600 with 4 bit color and I am unable to change these values. Once computer is restarted the game will load fine but crash trying to start a mission in career mode as previously stated.
Old 12-19-07, 11:23 PM   #2610
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
The game loads up to the start mission selection screen in career mode. This is after changing realism, crew, u-boat, etc.... I waited for it to load and it gives me Sh3 has encountered and unknown problem. After the crash when you try to load the game it crashes after the grey wolves splash screen and intro movie... I then get a cannot initialize 3d engine error. I will try to copy and paste the error information in my next post ... may take a few minutes. -- thanks
-pappygb
Pappy: Please also post your system specs.

Mush::p :p :p

DonW: Am on TS now... getting a cup of coffee, LOL.

www.thegreywolves.com