Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-17, 04:55 AM   #2596
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

So Russia once more exercise their veto in favour of Assad over an investigation as to who is responsible for the recent alleged chemical attack which took the lives of over eighty people (many of whom were children).

I'm not sure the UN is anything other than 'disfunctional'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39585071

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-13-17, 07:17 AM   #2597
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
You're just now coming to that conclusion? It's been my feeling that any "good" that has been done by that organization is accidental.
Old 04-13-17, 07:22 AM   #2598
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
You're just now coming to that conclusion? It's been my feeling that any "good" that has been done by that organization is accidental.

Well it did manage to keep 50 million south Koreans out of the clutches of the Kim family. I guess that's something.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 04-13-17, 07:38 AM   #2599
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
So Russia once more exercise their veto in favour of Assad over an investigation as to who is responsible for the recent alleged chemical attack which took the lives of over eighty people (many of whom were children).

A battle of declarations. Did you read either of the drafted resolutions?

Last edited by ikalugin; 04-13-17 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 08:11 AM   #2600
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:

agreed, but what is the alternative? better to keep talking than risk WW3.

I am always reminded of 1914 and the rush to war. So many missed signals and miscommunication.

One terrorist act spins out into a world war. Would WW1 have happened if the UN had been in place in 1914?
Old 04-13-17, 08:21 AM   #2601
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
agreed, but what is the alternative? better to keep talking than risk WW3.

I am always reminded of 1914 and the rush to war. So many missed signals and miscommunication.

One terrorist act spins out into a world war. Would WW1 have happened if the UN had been in place in 1914?
I wonder what would happen if the rule about any one veto stopping a resolution as opposed to a majority vote (5 members) was implemented.

I should imagine Russia and China would veto any move in that direction of course.

As for WWI.....I suspect a UN in being would have little chance because too many parties were intent on settling a variety of old scores.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 04-13-17, 08:41 AM   #2602
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Pre-WW1 global security system differed from the post-WW1 global security system, from Cold War system and from the present day system. All of them are different. UN existing pre-WW1 would imply that the system is different from the historic one.

There is a reason why permanent UNSC members get a veto.
Old 04-13-17, 08:48 AM   #2603
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Agree or disagree the rules are in place and so far everyone seems to be abidiing by them and as long as we continue to do so we have order.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online  
Old 04-13-17, 09:01 AM   #2604
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Agree or disagree the rules are in place and so far everyone seems to be abidiing by them and as long as we continue to do so we have order.
People do not abide by them which is why we have (relative) chaos.

For all the good reasons ofcourse.
Old 04-13-17, 12:23 PM   #2605
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I wasnt trying to imply there is world peace and order in the universe. It was just in reference to Russia having veto power in UN. Those are the rules.

Rockstar is online  
Old 04-14-17, 02:09 AM   #2606
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Interesting developments in the Russian election interference cases:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/599d2e1...-uncovers.html

<O>
Old 04-14-17, 07:59 AM   #2607
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

ummm, thats a headline an accusation or called beating a dead horse and a really old one at that. An interesting development will be when someone is actually charged with a crime.

Rockstar is online  
Old 04-14-17, 08:51 AM   #2608
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
ummm, thats a headline an accusation or called beating a dead horse and a really old one at that. An interesting development will be when someone is actually charged with a crime.
There needs to be an actual crime committed before that happens.
Old 04-14-17, 10:53 AM   #2609
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Oh, I think it is interesting in that the original sources of the intel regarding possible Russian influence and interference with US elections came from outside the US, was a situation where those sources recognized a situation potentially detrimental to US security, and occurred several months before the whole matter became an issue; and it is interesting that there is not even one mention of Obama, Clinton, or any of the other 'straw men' Trump, his associates or their 'deflection team' at Fox, Breitbart, etc., as being in any way responsible for any of the inception of the investigations. Also interesting, and alarming, is how the US intel establishment failed to pick up on the problem until several months after the sources reported their findings and concerns to those US agencies who should be most concerned with suspect interaction between foreign operatives and US citizens...

The insistence that there is no proof or a crime and therefore there should be no investigation is senseless; it is akin to police investigators entering a scene, finding bloodstains, signs of a struggle, or other such indicators, but since the scene had no body present, there is no cause to continue investigating. Or maybe like your home being burglarized, but since the burglars are not on the scene, there is no reason to investigate even though your door is busted in, the home has been ransacked, and you claim items are missing, because, really, its all 'circumstantial', isn't it? You don't conduct investigations because you know for a certainty a crime has been committed, you do investigations because there are indicators a crime may have been committed and you need to determine the actual circumstances and facts: you need to find the truth. This concept of actually finding the truth about something may be a foreign concept to some of the Trump followers, but it is the cornerstone of the US justice system...

Again, as I have pointed out before, none of the investigations or allegations based on those investigations to date have directly asserted Trump was either complicit or knowledgeable of any of the actions of his associates, and I seriously doubt the trail will lead to the door of the Oval Office. However, Trump is doing himself and his administration a serious disservice by trying to derail or obstruct the course of the investigations. If he is truly serious about "draining the swamp", he might appreciate any actions that get any 'gators' out of his administration; his bellicosity on the matter does little more than just give the unnecessary impression of being someone with something he wants to keep hidden and fears it may be divulged; oddly, Trump could take a lesson from his fellow philanderer, Bill Clinton: when the whole GOP 'masterminded' impeachment/Lewinski/etc. turmoil was going on, Clinton basically ignored it and just carried on with his duties; by not acting furtive or guilty, he came out of the whole ill-fated (for the GOP) situation looking a hell of a lot better then he would have had he angrily and frequently made public comments and denials. Even with the scandals, Clinton came out of it all as one of the most popular Presidents in the last 50 years. Trump should just let the investigations go on and let them take their course; it is very highly doubtful any of the findings will lead to him and he should act in like manner; ignore it and just do his job, something the US voters will appreciate more than any of his bellowing and/or tweeting...

<O>
Old 04-14-17, 01:39 PM   #2610
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:

As long as you feel the same way every time the US vetoes measures against Israel.

I understand and agree with having permanent members on the UNSC, but I really wish the veto rule would go away. But there is no way any of the P5 will allow that.

It was an unfortunate but necessary compromise in the forming of the UNSC.

In any case The US is still pretty close to the Russians in the vetoing department

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter