SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-10, 09:31 PM   #2446
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
Of course it isn't! Read the TMO manual before posting...
In my opinion the tone of your post is uncalled for. Some might characterize it as arrogant. See my thread re too RSRDC and TMO spawning too many airplanes. We cannot all read or remember everything. And no one should be insulted for not doing so.

Additionally, you may be dealing with a casual player rather than a hard core TMO fanatic. He is is not the first captain who may not have read or has forgotten some of the information in Ducimus' readme, and there always exists the possibility that Ducimus modded NSM into 2.0. Finally, did you ever think the post was written by a youngster?
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 10:07 PM   #2447
Royale-Adio
Officer

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Finally, did you ever think the post was written by a youngster?
Well, I'm no youngster (I'm 23). But no offense taken .

No, I haven't took the time to look at the readme. It's just that it seems that the ships sinks a bit too fast, but I may be wrong so it's allright.
Old 06-20-10, 12:40 AM   #2448
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Age is not the litmus test

I did not assume you were necessarily young. My point is that, had you been, the retort to your post with which I had a problem because I felt it was fairly harsh, would have been magnified due the age of the targeted recipient. And therein lies my point. That possibility should have been considered when responding to your question about NMO.
Old 06-20-10, 01:22 AM   #2449
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
I saw you've moved on to SH5

regards

keltos

BTW, im done with that game. Boil the fancy graphics way, all it REALLY seems to offier is a fully rendered sub interior, and RPG like interaction with the crew (i admit, i liked that, but overall, thats about it. Did my second attack on a convoy with that game and was throughly unimpressed. I uninstalled it.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 06:41 AM   #2450
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

"I am going down": If someone does install super-mod it is obvious he should read the manual because EVERY mod and especially supe-rmod changes stock game to a some degree - in this example to a huge degree! Not doing this is unwise. Mod manuals are first-hand sources of information being must read before posting here about questions already answered there. Besides if Royale-Adio downloaded TMO mod he most probably also visited first page of this thread where it is clearly stated:

"Trigger Maru is not compatible with any large modpack, to include enviromental mods. Exception to this is any version of RSRD made specifically to be compatible the latest version of TMO. All other large mod packs are NOT compatiable. The reason is, many large modpacks deal with the same files, and alot of unexpected results will occur. " - plain and simple even without reading TMO manual!

Last edited by Gorshkov; 06-20-10 at 07:00 AM.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 08:34 AM   #2451
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
BTW, im done with that game. Boil the fancy graphics way, all it REALLY seems to offier is a fully rendered sub interior, and RPG like interaction with the crew (i admit, i liked that, but overall, thats about it. Did my second attack on a convoy with that game and was throughly unimpressed. I uninstalled it.

same goes

And I was really looking forward to it... dynamic shadows, dynamic campaign...

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 11:08 AM   #2452
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
"I am going down": If someone does install super-mod it is obvious he should read the manual because EVERY mod and especially supe-rmod changes stock game to a some degree - in this example to a huge degree! Not doing this is unwise. Mod manuals are first-hand sources of information being must read before posting here about questions already answered there. Besides if Royale-Adio downloaded TMO mod he most probably also visited first page of this thread where it is clearly stated:

"Trigger Maru is not compatible with any large modpack, to include enviromental mods. Exception to this is any version of RSRD made specifically to be compatible the latest version of TMO. All other large mod packs are NOT compatiable. The reason is, many large modpacks deal with the same files, and alot of unexpected results will occur. " - plain and simple even without reading TMO manual!
I do not disagree with what you posted. It was how you conveyed it. BTW, I am familiar with the portion of the manual you refer to. It has been the subject of posts somewhere in this massive thread. However, the portion of your post, that Royale-Adio "must" do this and "most probably" did that are assumptions. No one "must" do anything.

I think we have both made our points here.
Old 06-21-10, 04:20 PM   #2453
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Max Optics 4 and 2.0

does max optics 4 work with TMO2.0? Is max optics 4 incorporated into TNO2.0?
Old 06-21-10, 07:04 PM   #2454
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Dont know whether its TM or the driver update for my video card but the water looks fantastic in 2.0.

I finally got TM 2.0 running smooth without crashing was running great then without any warning it would just start ctd whenever i pressd a key any key, didn't matter start game press 5 key to ahead flank and ctd, load up try again press external view and ctd and so on. Updated drivers and turned on DynamicShadows in the main.cfg dont know whether that helped but i was getting desperate so tried everything i read on here lol.

Runs smooth now 3 rd patrol with no crashes. The sea looks amazing - darker, gives impressive your in deep waters.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 09:34 AM   #2455
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

"does max optics 4 work with TMO2.0? Is max optics 4 incorporated into TNO2.0?"

I just dl'd TMO 2 and started using it. My first venture into the big mod. I installed MaxOptics for 1.9 and it seems to work fine. I don't have very good eyesight so I had to try it and I'm satisfied (with MaxOptics that is).
Old 06-24-10, 01:08 PM   #2456
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default ducimus sent me a PM

ducimus sent me a PM on this max optics 4 question. He said that he slightly increased the optics for 2.0. He did not incorporate max optics 4 into it. When I tried to add it via JGSME I did not notice a difference.
Old 06-24-10, 07:34 PM   #2457
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default What gives with your destroyers?

I finally located a task force in the Battle for Midway after several tries. My boat is a Gato. I took it down to 550 feet eventually because the destroyers were locating the sub at shallower depths. Then I went to 580 feet. It was there a depth charge sunk my boat. Or was it? Maybe it passed crush depth.
I checked the external camera several times to see where the destroyers were. They were either right on my posiitoin are really close.

It is early in the war, June, 1942. I read the sonar and radar tutorials. How can the destroyers find my boat at over 500 feet? I thought I should be safe at over 350 feet? Oh. I run RSRDC over 2.0, if that helps.
Old 06-24-10, 08:10 PM   #2458
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
I finally located a task force in the Battle for Midway after several tries. My boat is a Gato. I took it down to 550 feet eventually because the destroyers were locating the sub at shallower depths. Then I went to 580 feet. It was there a depth charge sunk my boat. Or was it? Maybe it passed crush depth.
I checked the external camera several times to see where the destroyers were. They were either right on my posiitoin are really close.

It is early in the war, June, 1942. I read the sonar and radar tutorials. How can the destroyers find my boat at over 500 feet? I thought I should be safe at over 350 feet? Oh. I run RSRDC over 2.0, if that helps.
It's TMO, the DD's are tough, esp in calm waters, but are beatable for sure..Crush depth with no hull damage for a Gato is around 598 feet in TMO, at 580 depth charge got you unbless you already had hull damage. I can usually lose even best DD's at 300-350 feet but have been pushed well below 500 feet in a Gato from time to time.

Depth helps in TMO but it isnt the grand solution, takes more than that to get away.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10, 12:42 AM   #2459
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Then I went to 580 feet. It was there a depth charge sunk my boat. Or was it? Maybe it passed crush depth.

REF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-submarine_weapon
At first, Japanese anti-submarine defenses proved less than effective against U.S. submarines. Japanese sub detection gear was not as advanced as that of some other nations. The primary Japanese anti-submarine weapon for most of WWII was the depth charge, and Japanese depth charge attacks by its surface forces initially proved fairly unsuccessful against U.S. fleet submarines. Unless caught in shallow water, a U.S. submarine commander could normally dive to a deeper depth in order to escape destruction, sometimes using temperature gradient barriers to escape pursuit. Additionally, during the first part of the war, the Japanese tended to set their depth charges too shallow, unaware that U.S. submarines possessed the ability to dive beyond 150 feet.
Unfortunately, the deficiencies of Japanese depth-charge tactics were revealed in a June 1943 press conference held by U.S. Congressman Andrew J. May, a member of the House Military Affairs Committee who had visited the Pacific theater and received many confidential intelligence and operational briefings. At the press conference, May revealed that American submarines had a high survivability because Japanese depth charges were fused to explode at too shallow a depth, typically 100 feet (because Japanese forces believed U.S. subs did not normally exceed this depth). Various press associations sent this story over their wires, and many newspapers, including one in Honolulu, thoughtlessly published it. Soon enemy depth charges were rearmed to explode at a more effective depth of 250 feet. Vice Admiral Charles A. Lockwood, commander of the U.S. submarine fleet in the Pacific, later estimated that May's revelation cost the navy as many as ten submarines and 800 crewmen.

BT

"LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS" Remember Congressman?
I've had the same question myself. I should think I would be pretty safe at 350', but I've also had some pretty close calls even at that depth. The DCs in this game (sim) seem to be fused to explode at your depth, no matter how deep you are.

BTW, I've never had the gutz to take my boat to over 500'. Someone told me that was naughty.

God Bless Electric Boat
Old 06-25-10, 01:18 AM   #2460
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default make a mod

somebody ought to make a mod to prevent detection by dds at too great a depth. Frankly, it is makes the game too hard, especially in the early war. A good mod might fix it.