SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-07, 07:09 PM   #226
chopped50ford
Weps

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

WernerSobe,

I havent seen any issues as of yet, except the stock "holes" the torpedos should make after hitting.

I have had a few ships "bob" around, but eventually taken them out w/ Deck Gun or final torpedo shot on opposite side...

To all: We have to remember, a ship wont go down until its Negatively bouyant. If there is "air" still in the compartments, and the overall bouyancy stays positive, well, the ship will continue to float.

Just my 2.5 cents.

http://ths-i.com/
Old 07-27-07, 07:30 PM   #227
switch.dota
Captain

Downloads: 0

There's soemthing about an Ise sticking all 4 propellers out of the water while doing upwards of 15knots that kinda bothers me... didn't know japs had rows on them battleships... also the odd large tanker that floats decks awash with 3 torpedo holes in its side is quite disturbing too.
Old 07-28-07, 04:31 AM   #228
Typhaon
Sailor man

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart
Unsinkable transport ...
Last picture was without changes more than one hour (summary 3 hours, with acceleration)...

I experienced the same situation in the testmission... I could even sink the medium merchant behindt this ship by shooting a torp over its deck... it only sank when I blew a big whole into the bridge with another torp...
Old 07-29-07, 05:56 AM   #229
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200
Default I think your on the right track but.....

I had a similar problem, put about 7 fish into one merchant, it eventually went to decks awash but still wouldnt sink after 7 fish, I think this mod is definately on the right track but needs some work, 7 torps and she's still afloat is a bit much. Looking forward to any further adjustments

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhaon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvart
Unsinkable transport ...
Last picture was without changes more than one hour (summary 3 hours, with acceleration)...

I experienced the same situation in the testmission... I could even sink the medium merchant behindt this ship by shooting a torp over its deck... it only sank when I blew a big whole into the bridge with another torp...
Old 07-29-07, 09:07 AM   #230
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Concur. Last night I raided Wake harbor in my S-boat. I left four ships ablaze and/or decks awash, but only one actually 'sank'.

Old 07-29-07, 09:33 AM   #231
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Just put a couple of holes the deckhouse so the AIR can get out (although a deckhouse shouldnt be watertight) and the bugger will sink. I would suggest that the flotability of certain compartments could be further tweaked to get this taken care of...Take the floatability of the deckhouse away for instance - set it at 0 - and see what you get...

A thought anyways.

Captain Haplo
Old 07-29-07, 09:38 AM   #232
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Shallow water is a poor place to test, they might not sink all the way.

BTW, Wake is pretty FUBAR in game without a reef. The only way in should be a narrow channel on the south side. I mean NARROW, think a ship width or 2.
Old 07-29-07, 09:47 AM   #233
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Not testing, trying to find some @$#%@#$ targets. I spent the better part of 1942 chasing around the Pacific in my little S-boat, finding nary a thing.

I agree with the above suggestion... a deckhouse shouldn't contribute to floatation, too many places for air to escape and water to get in.
Old 07-29-07, 10:55 AM   #234
FooFighters
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 16

Hi WernerSobe,

I really love this mod.. but I hope you can maybe also release a light version.
I love the way these boats sink now.. but I don't have the patience to wait 3 hours till it sinks.. Maybe there a middleway between stock and your mod ?

I think I am not alone in this..

Thanks

FooFighters

This forum is not the same without you Dave.. we'll miss you buddy
Old 07-29-07, 02:10 PM   #235
chopped50ford
Weps

Downloads: 22

Unfortunately, Im with FooFighter on this one. I love the mod in regards to the sinking physics, but it does take too long.

example: I was up on a lonely Medium split cargo, I put over 50 AP and 50 HE rounds into the hull, below the waterline and a few into deck to break it up. Then, since it was still charging 7 knots and getting away, I put 3 torps into her side and still nothing...I proceeded to put 25 more AP and 25 more HE rounds and still no sinking...but it did finally stop running. It was a bit overkill and frustrating. Definitely unrealistic. Hit Points are a bit high....

http://ths-i.com/
Old 07-29-07, 02:57 PM   #236
Typhaon
Sailor man

Downloads: 24

Hitpoints are unrealistic... there was no point when a ship in WWII blew up after enough damage like it does in vanilla SHIV.

The new system of this mod is far better but needs some adjustments... I think the flooding time is a bit slow, but the hitpoints are just fine... you could set a ship with HE shells ablaze or make the cargo blow up, but you could not make the whole ship explode by shooting at deck and below waterline with enough shells.
Old 07-29-07, 03:43 PM   #237
supposedtobeworking
XO

Downloads: 59

I have been using this mod a short while and have had no problem sinking ships....2 torps max...maybe im lucky. I even sunk one on the surface with the deck gun..used most of the rounds..but she sunk.
Old 07-29-07, 04:21 PM   #238
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

Good idea, cpt haplo.
Old 07-29-07, 07:27 PM   #239
adseal
Seaman

Downloads: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by supposedtobeworking
I have been using this mod a short while and have had no problem sinking ships....2 torps max...maybe im lucky. I even sunk one on the surface with the deck gun..used most of the rounds..but she sunk.
My few words...

I use TMaru1.4 and NSM2.6 together. I'm on the patrol (campaign mode) and I sunk 2 ships (it is really hard to find any with TM1.4 especially when You have boat damaged in 60% by planes at the bigining of patrol :/ ). First one get 3 torpedoes: result - big explosion after second impact. Second one blow in flames after first torpedo hit (at 2 torpedoes fire and hit target). So... maybe I was lucky too or maybe japanese ships in year '42 was full of ammunition...

I checked previously training mission joined to NSM2.6 and of course ships sunk veeeery slowly even when i hit them with 4 torpedos. But during my first patrol as I mentioned above i get two hits that broke ships in two pieces in flames. So... maybe WernerSobe found a good solution with his data... but! we must consider what is exactly near to realistic sinking? I saw many II world war movies that shows the ships blowups in flames after single torpedo hits but also saw and read, that some ships sunk after many hours after hits with 3-4 torpedos!

So, for my opinion this mod is (after my short playing) close to reality much more than stock settings, but... I thinkit is good to gather data frommany users. And then we will find whatshould be improved. I am very curious haw it is with warships during campaing mode (anybody sunk any cruiser or carrier during campaign patrol ? ...)

Once again thank You WernerSobe for really good work.

regards
ad
Old 07-29-07, 07:29 PM   #240
nimitstexan
Loader

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhaon
Hitpoints are unrealistic... there was no point when a ship in WWII blew up after enough damage like it does in vanilla SHIV.

The new system of this mod is far better but needs some adjustments... I think the flooding time is a bit slow, but the hitpoints are just fine... you could set a ship with HE shells ablaze or make the cargo blow up, but you could not make the whole ship explode by shooting at deck and below waterline with enough shells.
Ships, particularly small ships and most cargo vessels, would start to break up if you hit them with enough ordanance. Hit a 1500 ton merchant ship with 3 torpedos, and you are blowing apart her keel, among other things; she should go down in a minute or two. It is a situation where the whole of the "parts" (damage) is greater thant he sum of the "parts." Hit points do simulate that.
Closed Thread