SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-08, 07:31 AM   #2356
E.B. Fluckey
Sailor man

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Hi, I'm the salesman for TMOplot Final and I have something to say about the RFB plotting system. Unfortunately, it's not nice so I'll be very quiet.:p

The RFB Team has much larger fish to fry at the moment.
Thanks. Unfortunately the lack of plotting in RFB, especially on the navigation map where are the plotting tools are available, is killing this mod for me. Perhaps it's because I'm a noob and need a crutch or two. Are the veterans ok with the lack of plotting?

Your TMOplot looks like a good answer, I'll install that over RFB and see if things are better.

Thanks RR
Old 12-24-08, 09:28 AM   #2357
Orion2012
Commodore

Downloads: 0

[quote=cgjimeneza]Is this for real? is it hardcoded?, That could help get a bit more explosions early on.

[quote]: SLOW setting reduces duds by 50% <--kind of irrelevant but you would be amazed how many people don't know that.

I don't know if its hard coded or not, but I can assure you it holds true for RFB. I average 3/4 detonating in my early war patrol. They avoid them more, so I still fire fast for IJN vessels but not for merchies.
Old 12-24-08, 09:59 AM   #2358
alanschu
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

I typically still fire on fast, just from a RP perspective. I started out using Mag detonators too...until my virtual skipper declared them virtually useless. In fact, I usually avoided setting depth to my torpedoes as well, until I noticed a few explosions wehere I could see the hold above the waterline. Seems as though BuOrd is getting their act together!

EDIT: Hmmmm, seems as though ol' Gato has an issue with not clipping the side of the conning tower when using the AA gun. How can I remedy that? (as a side note, is it possible to damage ships to accelerate flooding...however slowly, with the Oerlikon? I notice it does have an AP value)

Also, wouldn't it make more sense for the first AA gun to be the Browning .50 cal? I thought they were replaced with the 20mm Oerlikon (and later the Bofors)?

Last edited by alanschu; 12-24-08 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-24-08, 10:28 AM   #2359
Orion2012
Commodore

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu
I typically still fire on fast, just from a RP perspective. I started out using Mag detonators too...until my virtual skipper declared them virtually useless. In fact, I usually avoided setting depth to my torpedoes as well, until I noticed a few explosions wehere I could see the hold above the waterline. Seems as though BuOrd is getting their act together!

EDIT: Hmmmm, seems as though ol' Gato has an issue with not clipping the side of the conning tower when using the AA gun. How can I remedy that? (as a side note, is it possible to damage ships to accelerate flooding...however slowly, with the Oerlikon? I notice it does have an AP value)

Also, wouldn't it make more sense for the first AA gun to be the Browning .50 cal? I thought they were replaced with the 20mm Oerlikon (and later the Bofors)?
I don't know about actual merchies, buy the 20mm will make quick work of lifeboats. (I think any wooden hauled vessel, not sure)

The .50 cal is in the game, just not completed. (Missing a sight I believe) I don't know if/when/is it will be integrated in RFB, all I do is play the wonderful beta's to help work out kinks. Did you notice it inside the Conning Tower?

The only time I fire on magnetic is if the ship is turning and the shot would stand a large chance of deflection without detonation and the sea is VERY calm.

Last edited by Orion2012; 12-24-08 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-24-08, 10:41 AM   #2360
alanschu
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

It seems like it's the same bug from the stock game. Where when you look to port or starboard, you'll find yourself having your view obstructed at a particular elevation, but the side of the "bathtub" conning tower.

Agreed with magnetic (I used it more in SH3 though) fusing. Only in calm seas, close range, and if I think I'll be hitting with a glancing shot. Of course, my virtual skipper didn't know that at first, so when he first got his Sargo sub, he had heard of the new fandangled magnetic torpedo, but had virtually no luck with it (I think maybe 1 or 2 hits). So, now he typically disables it. Though now that the depth settings seem more normal, he might use it a bit more against some of the bigger targets. Still, only in calm seas.

Last edited by alanschu; 12-24-08 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-24-08, 01:03 PM   #2361
RFB Team
SH4 Mod Team

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjimeneza
Is this for real? is it hardcoded?, That could help get a bit more explosions early on.
It's an editable feature in the torpedo sim files.

The RFB team is an open group and our work is open to anyone. Although we have a separate forum for development and testing, it is not a private forum, so you can drop in and see what's going on or contribute. The forum is open to other developers that need a place to exchange ideas too.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php...647a9120c08614
Old 12-24-08, 01:11 PM   #2362
RFB Team
SH4 Mod Team

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu
Like Orion writes, we want to implement the .50 cal as the starting AA gun and make the 20mm a 1942 upgrade, but with the missing sight on the gun we've not implemented it yet. It's on the to-do list, for sure.

The RFB team is an open group and our work is open to anyone. Although we have a separate forum for development and testing, it is not a private forum, so you can drop in and see what's going on or contribute. The forum is open to other developers that need a place to exchange ideas too.

http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php...647a9120c08614
Old 12-24-08, 05:33 PM   #2363
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB Team
It's an editable feature in the torpedo sim files.
Why would I want to eat a feature in the torpedo sim file?:hmm: Who cares. I AM hungry! Please pass the ketchup.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-24-08 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 11:31 PM   #2364
LobsterBoy
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 44

Is there any way to model the FM sonar used in late war boats in the Silent Hunter engine?

It sure would help if you think you're in a minefield.
Old 12-26-08, 05:07 AM   #2365
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99
Large freighters behaving strangely

Hello all you fellow RFBers.

I'm sorry if this is old news, but since I'm not following the development all that actively I thought I'd report this anyway. Please take a look at this:

I attacked this baby with a salvo of 4 torpedoes spread evenly along her side. All hit and detonated, making her a piece of Swiss cheese sinking pretty rapidly to decks awash as seen in the picture. That, however, didn't stop her engines and even hamper her manouverability all that much, because she still continued at a good clip for almost an hour before stopping and succumbing to the waves.

Now I do understand that a big ship like her doesn't necessarily sink all that fast. But I'd still think her engines should stop when she's flooded that bad, no? And the same thing holds true for the Old Split Freighter as well - sunk one yesterday and she behaved much the same way too.

Once again, my apologies if this is old news. As I said I'm not following the development daily, so I'm not sure what exactly is known and looked into already...

Happy holidays guys and all the best for 2009

PS / EDIT / FYI: Oh yeah, I'm of course using the latest builds and patches of RFB & RSRDC both.

Last edited by msalama; 12-26-08 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-26-08, 03:12 PM   #2366
Ark
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 95

Is there a replacement water I can use with RFB? The water in the mod seems way too blue. Is there a more subdued version out there somewhere that is compatible with RFB?

Does that Environment Mod 5.0 function with RFB?

Thanks!
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 285 SSC
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer 23" H233H

Last edited by Ark; 12-26-08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-26-08, 05:07 PM   #2367
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark
Is there a replacement water I can use with RFB? The water in the mod seems way too blue. Is there a more subdued version out there somewhere that is compatible with RFB?

Does that Environment Mod 5.0 function with RFB?

Thanks!

You may have a problem if you use EE 5.0 since RFB uses the PE Mod. There have been alot of discussions concerning the "blueness" of the water. I have to tell you, I don't have a problem with it at all. From color WWII Pacific footage, as well as modern photos posted in defence of this very issue, the color is pretty close. To each their own I guess.
Old 12-26-08, 08:39 PM   #2368
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 294

hi im playing the latest RFB mod,is there any way to keep the scope locked on the target,when using manual targeting im not sure if im getting accurate readings on my target when the scope keeps coming unlocked?
Old 12-27-08, 02:44 AM   #2369
Sardaukar67
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainexpress
hi im playing the latest RFB mod,is there any way to keep the scope locked on the target,when using manual targeting im not sure if im getting accurate readings on my target when the scope keeps coming unlocked?
It's been said that they'll try to address lock problems in next patch, among other things.
Old 12-27-08, 03:00 PM   #2370
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99
And yet another USO (unidentified swimming object)

A Hog Island this time:

She's still happily chugging along with her propeller merrily turning, bravely resisting the inevitable

This is what happened:

I abruptly bumped into her on my way to Fremantle, Australia, for a fresh set of underwear and a keg of brewski. There was no time for an accurate speed measurement, so I just played it by the ear and hastily fired 4 eels. This resulted in 2 misses, one dud and one impact in her forward cargo hold.

As it turned out this hardly upset her, but rather encouraged her to zig-zag at full tilt. Her bow sinking pretty rapidly didn't matter much either, apart from maybe slightly reducing her speed which was clocked at 8.5 knots some 30 minutes afterwards. I then let her dash about in her badly wounded state for another half an hour or so, because I needed time for another attack.

This then commenced, and resulted in 2 more hits as seen in the picture. But even _that_ wasn't enough for her, for she still continued at a good clip for another 10 minutes or so before finally giving up!

Clever buggers those Nipponese with their submersible freighters, aren't they

PS. Oh yeah, please inform me immediately if you know about these anomalies already, because frankly speaking I'm not sure if posting amusing pictures and stories of submersible freighters actually conforms to anyone's idea of real fun now

Last edited by msalama; 12-27-08 at 03:05 PM.
Closed Thread