SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-08, 04:22 PM   #211
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 1

Pisces,
Quote:
Hmm, when you say it like that it looks like this snake has started to get a grip on me.
Look for Python Reportlab, I used that module to make the TSD Computer.

Quote:
I had look at the time wheel of that slideruler. Great idea for those that don't have one yet. But I suggest changing the intermediate marks to represent steps in 10 minutes, instead of decimals(10ths) of a hour. Seems more natural to me.
The intermediate marks can be minutes, hours, days, miles... this wheel is actually the cd scale on a slide rule. If you want minutes or seconds set the 6 (60) pointing to distance and read minutes directlyfrom the innerwheel. Here is another outerwheel with the numbers continuing up from 1.
New Outerwheel

Mike
6SJ7GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 04:54 PM   #212
Schultzy
Commander

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 0

Just want to add my thanks for the tutorial and all the hard work that went into it.

I am a complete novice and it held my hand through the entire process. I really needed something like that, if i read it a few more (100) times i think i may even be able to find out where i am on the oceans blue!

Brilliant work, I for one, really appreciate it!
SH5 is to history what Star Trek is to science...it is exciting and inspiring, but eventually you have to come home from the convention, take off the pointy ears, and come to the realization that it was all just pretend and make-believe.

Last edited by Schultzy; 04-11-08 at 05:24 PM.
Schultzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 03:00 AM   #213
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SJ7GT
Pisces,
Quote:
Hmm, when you say it like that it looks like this snake has started to get a grip on me.
Look for Python Reportlab, I used that module to make the TSD Computer.
Thanks, I read here it can also output to a bitmap format. Interresting.

p.s. 6SJ7GT and Don1reed: Excellent tutorial. Looks really simple stuff now. I just need to dig through all those links to find out how you can determine Hc(altitude) and Zn(azimuth) from tables. 'Cause they didn't have USNO almanac sites on the internet back then yet.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 07:37 AM   #214
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Quote:
p.s. 6SJ7GT and Don1reed: Excellent tutorial. Looks really simple stuff now. I just need to dig through all those links to find out how you can determine Hc(altitude) and Zn(azimuth) from tables. 'Cause they didn't have USNO almanac sites on the internet back then yet.
Pisces,
I have a project in the works as ww2 nautical almanacs are pretty scarce.

Henning Umland has put together a good reference on celestial nav here. He also has Agetons tables with instructions(Tables.zip and Compact.zip) on his freeware page. these would have been known as HO211.

Here is a worksheet for Ageton's from another project I am working on. If you try it let me know how it works.

Mike
Old 04-12-08, 07:45 AM   #215
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 910

I tried your 3 sight worksheet, Mike, it works great, but was too small for this senior citizen's eyesight. lol.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell
don1reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 09:35 AM   #216
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Here you go, Don. Ageton 1 Star I Know what you mean, my eyesight isn't what it was either
Old 04-12-08, 12:45 PM   #217
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

Tnx, Mike.

For now, anyway, I've been using HO211 (original) and have a SR worksheet for that pub...which is, btw, just as tedious and time consuming as using Hemming's Compact version...but what the heck, I've got nothing better to do anyway. lol.

edit:

Here's pic of HO211 form I use and a copy of a 1943 version of Ageton's pub I picked up some time ago from the National Geographical Society.

This pub is hardbound and is only 1/4 inch thick...just perfect to fit inside the sextant case. However, this one is a collector's copy and is locked away

All the best,

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

~ George Orwell

Last edited by don1reed; 04-12-08 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-12-08, 10:43 PM   #218
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Default 1942 Almanac

Thanks, don.
What are the increments on the original HO211? I've seen several different versions and would like to make the correct one for the game.

Here is the 1942 Almanac. You and I and a few others could understand the corrections needed for the 5 year version but they would be pretty cunfusing to most of the people here new to celnav, so I went with the individual year Almanac. I'll work on the next three as time permits. Hard to believe they put this together by hand calculation in 1941. Found a history site on this and the first draft had errors to be corrected on each page.
Old 04-13-08, 11:24 AM   #219
don1reed
Ace of the Deep

re 1942

Definitely a "one-stop-shop". Nicely done, Mike.

On a side note...can't help being reminded about all the guys that paid their dues that year. We can never thank them enough.

Cheers,

~ George Orwell
Old 04-13-08, 04:57 PM   #220
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Default 1943 Nautical Almanac

To all,
Here is the 1943 almanac. You'll see a few errors in the headers of months with less than 31 days, but this doesn't affect the data. More to follow as I want to get up to 1945.

1943 Nautical Almanac

Mike
Old 04-13-08, 07:08 PM   #221
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Greetings Mikhayl and welcome to our vrsion of insanity in this game.

Here's another item. I added yards and changed the look of the Time-Speed-Distance computer so it looks better laying on my chart. (works better, too).

TSD Computer.

For those who have never used this:
You line up the arrow with your speed on the outer wheel, then you can read time (hours) on the inner wheel vs distance on the outer wheel.

EXAMPLE
line up the arrow (1) with 22(kts), this is also 44000yds/hr. In 1/2 hr you will travel 11 mi or 22000 yards. in 34 hrs you will travel approx. 750 mi.

If you line up the 6 on the inner wheel with your speed, you can read the time in minutes, as the wheel repeats. 6~60~600...
Line up the 6 (60) with 8 kts. In 22 minutes you will travel approx 2.9 mi (5900 yds). You will travel 14 mi in 105 minutes.

Enjoy,
Mike
Old 04-14-08, 06:31 PM   #222
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

Default 1944 & 1945 Almanacs

To all,

Here are the 1944 & 45 Almanacs for celnav. I'll put them all together with my other information for this and probably host it on filefront. This has been a real learning experience for me, both in celnav and python programming. I made the almanacs by having python iterate through the math and dumping the results into Excel, where I formatted and printed the pages.

1944 Nautical Almanac

1945 Nautical Almanac

Enjoy,
Mike
Old 04-15-08, 05:18 AM   #223
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

That looks great Mike! Unfortunately I do not have the time to look into this stuff yet. But I will in the future. I do hope this stuff you make (tables and all) is not specific to SH4-use. Probably not, as don1reed play-tested it allready in SH3. But I just want to make sure. Because my machine preffers to run SH3, as it is too slow for comfort with SH4.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 04:47 PM   #224
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

To All,

I have zipped up all of the Almanacs and tools for this in an archive here.

also if you get activestate python it has the windows extensions included.

Fair skies and smooth sailing,
Mike

Last edited by 6SJ7GT; 05-01-08 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 09:11 PM   #225
6SJ7GT
A-ganger

This has been simplified a little. My son made a program out of the Python script. You dont have to install Python, just run the program with command line options to set the directories. I added it to the Celestial Nav package, and uploaded the program separately.

Almanacs and tools for this in an archive here.

Just the program Here.

Mike