SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-12-05, 08:35 PM   #1
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

I think that there were a few tankers that looked like that. However, I haven't seen any photos with that particular design. Most of the tanker pics on Uboat.net seem to show vessels of 6000-10000 tons; small tankers are rare. The Royal Navy had a class of smaller tankers that would have been of the same general tonnage, but the superstructure was aft, like modern ships'.

You may be having crashes because the unit #-type is inconsistent in your files. Did you check the cfg file in data\sea, as well as data\roster\[nation]\[unit].cfg? They both need to be 101.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 08:41 PM   #2
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife
Thanks for the compliments.

BTW, AG124, I think that your tanker really captures the look of those little tankers from AOD, right down to the pair of lifeboats. That screenshot makes me feel so much nostalgia... It was so annoying in AOD when you got a merchant contact and it was only one of those puny little things with the grey flag - lol. For SH3, though, we need to skew tonnage downwards, so this is an excellent addition to the existing ships.
Yes yes!!! More merchants needed!!! Keep up the good work guys.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 06:34 PM   #3
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Another WIP posting. Some shots of an additional generic, medium-sized cargo ship. Not a copy of any particular class, but influenced by late WWI - 1920's ships. Compare the profile to that of the older merchant I posted a few day ago.

Torpedo impact. I'm altering the front and back half objects to make sinkings a bit more dramatic. Metal now deforms at the point of impact, and deckhouses buckle from explosions. This is not without its problems, since it is sometimes possible to see through the hull object.

I might alter the bridge so that the model looks less like the NKGN.
Old 11-15-05, 06:39 PM   #4
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Improvements to the still-unfinished ore carrier design. I straightened the bow and gave it a more realistic wheelhouse. Hopefully she doesn't look too much like her "mother" anymore. :hmm:

Old 11-15-05, 06:40 PM   #5
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Also, has anyone found out how to prevent the upside-down flag? I hope the upcoming version of Pack3d can solve this.
Old 11-15-05, 07:33 PM   #6
AG124
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

I don't know what to say, except maybe that these are probably the best merchants ever made for this game, even better looking than most of the stock merchants.

I wish I had more time to work on mine. Only three more weeks of university left. But I keep having problems anyway - I am new to 3d model making after all. It was a good thing that I ever figured out as much as I did, with help of course.

I already asked this question in the thread about changed tonnages in RuB, but here is a better place. What is the best way to make changes to a ship's hull itself in Wings3d? I was hoping to make my Ammo Carrier flush-decked, but there are other changes which I may need to make as well - the type of straight bow that is on your bulk carrier could be useful for example. :hmm:

This may cause texture problems, but I have decided to let those two developers re-zone my models, so maybe they would fix it.

BTW - None of my flags have appeared upside down. I don't have any idea what would cause it.
AG124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 08:36 PM   #7
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG124

I don't know what to say, except maybe that these are probably the best merchants ever made for this game, even better looking than most of the stock merchants.

I wish I had more time to work on mine. Only three more weeks of university left. But I keep having problems anyway - I am new to 3d model making after all. It was a good thing that I ever figured out as much as I did, with help of course.

I already asked this question in the thread about changed tonnages in RuB, but here is a better place. What is the best way to make changes to a ship's hull itself in Wings3d? I was hoping to make my Ammo Carrier flush-decked, but there are other changes which I may need to make as well - the type of straight bow that is on your bulk carrier could be useful for example. :hmm:

This may cause texture problems, but I have decided to let those two developers re-zone my models, so maybe they would fix it.

BTW - None of my flags have appeared upside down. I don't have any idea what would cause it.
This method helped me resize deckhouses and straighten bows: What you do is click on the dotted pyramid in wings3d (should be on the left) and you'll see the model's vertices exposed. Drag a box around the deckhouse or whatever you want to modify, right click, and use the resize function. (You may want to move the object vertically so it's out of the way of the hull and doesn't mess up adjacent faces. For instance when I work on the NKGN I usually select the superstructure with the "adjacent faces" tab (pyramid #3), move it up, resize with the adjacent vetices pyramid (pyramid #1) and lower it back to the deck when I'm done. This allows resizing of ship parts without the faces shrinking away from one another. It's also a great way to reshape the hulls; I used it to give my old-fashioned merchants straight, WWI-era bows.
Old 11-15-05, 08:50 PM   #8
AG124
Sea Lord

Alright, I'll give it a try this Friday. I still have some freighters which need work. Thanks.
Old 11-15-05, 09:21 PM   #9
snowsub
中国水兵

Downloads: 0

a well Duh! tip aswell, in case you didn't know (I didn't til I tried).
You can hold down the ctrl button to unselect nodes/blips/surfaces etc.

So say in my case I'm widening the hull, I look from directly above and make a rectangle (with nodes option) along the side I'm stretching, this will also grab things I don't want like the nodes on the bottom of the hull, then I re-orientate to be looking at the side and hold ctrl to de-select nodes below the water line.

Also good to get nodes in those hard to reach (tm) areas, select the surface option and select your surface, then change to nodes and de-select the nodes you don't want to move.

Good modding now
Old 11-16-05, 06:36 AM   #10
chris911
Chief

AG124 wrote
Quote:
Have u ever had a ship ingame where u changed the hull part itself by resizing opjects and not moving (lowering ) or coping them ? Because i think that maybe the resizing of smaller parts of the main hull is causing the texture disorientation and the up side down flag.
chris911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 07:07 AM   #11
AG124
Sea Lord

I have reduced some parts of some superstructures to 0%, some of which were integral parts of the hull. Nothing to the extent that Iambecomelife has done however, and probably nothing like you have done either.
Old 11-16-05, 01:12 PM   #12
chris911
Chief

Thats good to hear . So we come closer to a solution for the texture probs. What i found out so far is that people who have changed the main hull by only lowering parts of it or sizing them to 0% seem to have no hull-deck mix or upside down flags. so as far as i can say the probs start when u begin to enlarge parts of the main hull .all other parts seem to get their textures from other parts of the map so for exemple a new bridge as part only won t have those probs. i m working on a 3 piper cruise liner atm which is based on the transport so trouble seems to start with it when i change sth on the main hull . where as working with more than one funnel or creating another deck for the bridge doesn t do anything to the textures. the other thing is that only changing the sides of the hull doesn t create a problem either.it only seems to start when u enlarge deck parts and parts of the side walls on the same model.
Old 11-16-05, 05:06 PM   #13
AG124
Sea Lord

I do however, get a problem with deck textures - they seem to include textures from the superstructure.
Old 11-16-05, 05:49 PM   #14
chris911
Chief

as long as the superstructure is part of the main hull.obj that seems to be the case with anyone who did change something there so far. but it also seems that the flag is influenced by that. maybe we should ask sergbuto for help for the texturing as he did the merchant skins and could help us with his knowledge maybe.
Old 11-16-05, 05:50 PM   #15
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Cdr Gibs PM'ed me a fix for the upside-down flags. In his words:

The Flag is not the only thing that will be upside down, Check the ship on a later date when its armed, U will find that any gun mount thats astern of amidships is now most likely also upside down.

There is now way to stop this in Pack3d, but all is not lost. The fix is a simple Hexedit

Ok, Open the ORIGINAL ship data file in your Hex editor, do a 32bit Float search for this value : 3.1415925. This will highlight several enteries. Goto the cfg.Flag entery and above it u will see a 32 bit float value as above. The very last 1 before the text cfg.flag is the 1 u are after, With left mouse button click and drag over this value, right click, copy. DONT CLOSE the dat file, now open your Modded ship and do a test string search for cfg. goto the cfg.flag. U should now have 2 dat files open in ur hex editor. Compare the 2 cfg.flag enteries, in ur modded ship u will see that the 32bit float entery : 3.1415925 in the last instance in the original ship dat file is missing from ur modded ship dat file

Thanks, cdr!