SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-24-10, 06:41 AM   #166
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

The only way to input the bearing is to point the perioscope or TBT at the bearing you obtained from the radar. Bearing is sent at the same time the range is, so get range and point scope at bearing then send range (and consequently bearing the periscope is pointed at).
Old 07-24-10, 07:58 AM   #167
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

After reading Goin'down's review it seems you created too complicated (map contacts disabled) or unnecessary (map contacts enabled) mod, Nisgels.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 08:03 AM   #168
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
After reading Goingdown's review it seems you created an unplayable or unnecessary mod, Nisgels.
Once you get the hang of it, it's quite simple. Just like riding a bike. It's not the type of mod that the casual player who plays with auto targetting will like or even try, but for those who want that extra challenge that comes with authenticity, this is for them . It definately does not make the game easier at first, that's certain! If you stick with it, you'll get better solutions and hit more.
Old 07-24-10, 08:42 AM   #169
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Plus there is a real sense of satisfaction that I have never come close to before. As you sit at the TDC watching the solution devlop, checking it against the data you get fom other sensors, refining it, and then the final shooting observation through the periscope and the kill... for the so-called hard-core player this is as good as it gets.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 10:42 AM   #170
Gorshkov
Commodore

Downloads: 139

Try to run Silent Hunter 1! Supposedly TDC worked fine in this game.
Gorshkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 02:12 PM   #171
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I have been watching this but not have used it yet. Is it TMO compatable?
Old 07-24-10, 02:19 PM   #172
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
I have been watching this but not have used it yet. Is it TMO compatable?
I've just started using it with TMO 2. It works fine, if you remove a couple of files.
Old 07-24-10, 02:45 PM   #173
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I've just started using it with TMO 2. It works fine, if you remove a couple of files.
I've just uploaded version 1.01, which is for stock still. This version restores the previously displaced sonar send keys from the sonar stack and also removes two files that affected the Nav Map tools and chronometer, so it's now kinder to TMO.

>> If you want to use it with TMO, I'd advise removing cameras.dat from /mods/3D TDC and Radar Range Unit v3.01/data/library/cameras.dat<<as TMO moves everything around apparently and you'll go to the wrong stations possibly. Or maybe it's meant to be like that hmmm. Buy anyway, the cameras in TMO are superior to the modified stock one included with my mod. You will still lose the added interior sparkly detail as it overwrites the TMO interior.

Anyway, I discovered why people couldn't see the green triangle, in TMO the start range on the TDC is 0000, so the green triangle is tucked to the far left of the 'A' Scope and hidden by the hood.

Last edited by Nisgeis; 07-25-10 at 02:17 AM.
Nisgeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 05:43 PM   #174
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320

?link
Old 07-24-10, 06:04 PM   #175
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
?link
Hasn't changed. Same link as posted in the first post.
Old 07-24-10, 06:16 PM   #176
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

My first attempts to articulate the procedures for using Nisgeis' mod contained some errors and inaccuracies. He posted comments and corrections, which I have considered.

Here is the revised action list for tracking with map contacts disabled. Note, John Channing is in the final stages of completing a tutorial that contains screen shots, but here is an explanation that is probably fairly accurate. Mr. Channing's tutorial is in another thread in this forum. If there are any comments or corrections, feel free to weigh in.

Initial range and bearing reading.

1. On the periscope or TBT screens, open the stadimeter Range Dial. This step must be first, or the range and bearing data will not be sent to the TDC, your solution for target course and speed per the TDC will be in error, and you will have wasted an opportunity to nail the potential target.
2. Go the PPI scope radar screen and locate the target with the radar beam at the applicable distance (3K, 20k, or 40k). See John Channing's tutorial that contains screen shot illustrations. Note, if their is more than one possible target, make sure you track the same one on subsequent range and bearing readings.
3. When the target has been located on the PPI scope radar screen, go the A scope radar screen and switch the dial below the A scope radar screen to sweep mode (i.e. move dial to the far left.) See John Channing's tutorial that contains screen shot illustrations.
4. Read the range. See John Channing's tutorial that contains screen shot illustrations.
5. Read the bearing from the device on the roof of the sub near the A radar scope screen. See John Channing's tutorial that contains screen shot illustrations.
6. Start the stopwatch immediately and let it run.
7. Go to the periscope or TBT screen. If the target is visible, point the periscope or TBT at the target. If the target is not visible, point the periscope or TBT at the bearing per the bearing device located on the sub's roof adjacent to the A radar scope screen.
8. Click the send button on the stadimeter Range Dial (the stadimeter should be open to the Range Dial, per item no. 1, supra.)
9. Record the bearing and range on a note pad. The ships' dials on the left side of the periscope or TBT screen should reflect the range input to the TDC.
10. Plot the target's range and bearing on the Nav. Map. See John Channing's tutorial that contains screen shot illustrations. This is the first of three plots. (Some may wish to pause the game when plotting on the Nav. Map.)

Note: to plot course and speed, multiple plot entries will be required. One of the goals is compare the manual calculation of course and speed of the target to the course and speed solution calculated by the TDC, the later which will be explained infra.

Second reading of bearing and range. TDC makes initial solution of target course and speed.

11. Return to the A scope radar screen. You should be able to locate the target. If not, locate it on PPI radar screen, and once it is located, return to the A scope radar screen sweep mode. See John Channing's tutorial that contains screen shot illustrations.
12. Read and record on a notepad the target's new range.
13. Read and record on a notepad the target's new bearing.
14. Repeat item 7, supra.
15. Repeat item 8, supra.
16. Repeat item 9, supra., if you haven't already recorded the bearing and range and noted in items 12 and 13, supra.
17. Change the view on the stadimeter to the Speed Dial. Single click the tiny timepiece on the stadimeter. This action will transmit a command to the TDC that it calculate the target's course and speed based upon the two bearing and two range entries. The radarman will announce the target's course and speed, and it will be displayed on the dialogue screen. The speed calculation by the TDC should appear on the ships' dials on the left side of the periscope or TBT screen.
18. Switch to the Nav. Map and bring up the stopwatch immediately. Pause the game.
19. You have also manually recorded two range readings which are included in your plots. Calculate the distance traveled between the two plots. Determine speed in the usual manner (3 minute rule, etc.) If your manual speed calculations compare or are close to the speed calculated by the TDC, the speed calculations are probably accurate.
20. Plot the second bearing and range readings on the Nav. Map, and compare the course you have plotted to the course calculated by the TDC. If they are comparable, it is probably correct.

Third reading of bearing and range.

21. Repeat steps 11 - 20. Note: Remember to reset the stadimeter to the Range Dial before beginning the third range and bearing reading. This is crucial as noted in item 1, supra.

If successful, you are now tracking the target on the TDC. Attacking it successfully with map contacts off is another issue. I have lots of questions in that regard.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-24-10 at 11:31 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 06:37 PM   #177
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov View Post
Try to run Silent Hunter 1! Supposedly TDC worked fine in this game.
Believe me... I have. There is no comparison.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 08:15 PM   #178
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
I've just uploaded version 1.01, which is for stock still. This version restores the previously displaced sonar send keys from the sonar stack and also removes two files that affected the Nav Map tools and chronometer, so it's now kinder to TMO.

>> If you want to use it with TMO, I'd advise removing cameras.dat <<as TMO moves everything around apparently and you'll go to the wrong stations possibly. Or maybe it's meant to be like that hmmm. Buy anyway, the cameras in TMO are superior to the modified stock one included with my mod. You will still lose the added interior sparkly detail as it overwrites the TMO interior.

Anyway, I discovered why people couldn't see the green triangle, in TMO the start range on the TDC is 0000, so the green triangle is tucked to the far left of the 'A' Scope and hidden by the hood.
I use TMO 2.0. Do you advise removing camera.dat? I couldn't find. If I should remove, can you tell me where to find it? I notice the TDC comes up with ranges a few hunderd yards different from the distance I input from your mod. Is that related to the camera.dat file.
Old 07-24-10, 11:24 PM   #179
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default heads up re removing camera.dat

I removed all the camera.dat files (there were 5 of them), as we were not given specific instructions. My game crashed. I had to reinstall SH4 and TMO 2.0. Thanks for the tip! I will reciprocate when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 07-25-10, 12:27 AM   #180
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default my plots are not even close

Might the camera.dat files be screwing up the plot in TMO 2.0? I cannot seem to get it right. My manual calculations do not come close to corresponding the to the range and speed solution made by the TDC.
Also, I have to find the file to delete to make the tools and stopwatch smaller. I went through this earlier, but since I reinstalled TMO, the problem has resturned. I will find the post that provides the solution to this issue.