SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-13, 03:36 PM   #1756
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106
Uploads: 0

Just dropping by to express my joy at seeing TDW back at work!
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 03:57 PM   #1757
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
Just dropping by to express my joy at seeing TDW back at work!
He's always "at work".... just not always here at work. LOL

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 09:58 PM   #1758
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

This looks like someone I know from Civ5...someone who causes me much grief at times:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?73z9zfnbxln1lx7

Yep, got the textures loaded. They (whoever made this GR2 file) tried to hide materials and textures in it. I had Sentinel give me a report of the chains in section 0 and it reported back many broken chains. When I looked over the output from it I noticed that most of these holes (broken chains) were sizes of Textures and Materials in a GR2 file. I made a couple changes to the app to make it look for hidden materials and textures and sure enough it found them

There are still some broken chains I'm investigating. Broken chains are bad because that means I didn't read something from the file. If I didn't read it that means I can't use it and I sure can't write it
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-13, 11:43 PM   #1759
Ekmek
Mate

Downloads: 4

I think I have something that may help. Give me a few minutes.
Ekmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-13, 12:06 AM   #1760
Ekmek
Mate

Since you are probably getting tired of Augustus, I think Otto Bismarck may help. THat Augustus file may be from an old granny build and have errors. Its not the current game file because you can't open those with grannyviewer so I found that file that can open with granny viewer. But Augustus may have errors that are giving you a headache.

I poked around some more and I found Otto Bismarck that appears to work better. Attached is the current game file which is compressed and you can't open in granny viewer. This one the game uses - German_Bismarck.gr2. I put it there if you are curious but its not necessary to crack.

It appears that there is another uncompressed (or a more public compression?) gr2 format that can be viewed in game AND in granny viewer. It is also in the zip and its named German_Bismarck_OLD.gr2. This version should be better than the Augustus one.

This one may have rigging issues to animation (in game the animations look weird) but it shows in game and may unlock the other problems you are having. I included texture files and animations (one animation is probably the current compressed type and the other with the OLD suffix probably isn't). I hope this helps!

Thanks for all the work!

http://www.mediafire.com/?2rih2onrw884xxe
Old 02-07-13, 12:01 AM   #1761
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

The Augustus.GR2 file was a great file to decompress and test the app with. It exposed many items that needed fixing/second look and it exposed many problems I didn't know existed in the app Now that I have everything fixed and updated I read in the file and saved the image I read from the file to a new file (to ensure I read everything correctly). Then I had Sentinel give me a report of any broken chains and none were reported. Then I closed the file in the app. I did a compare of the original file to the new file and they were nearly identical (some very slight rounding errors for some of the float values). Granny Viewer was able to open the new GR2 file without problem and the app was able to read the new file without problems also. This means that what I read in from the original file was saved in entirety to the new file

In keeping with the GR2 tradition that the file hates to duplicate items this is what was really causing the app problems (duplicate pointers and duplicate extendeddata). I figured out how to overcome this and everything is fine until I add new data to the file. Then these duplicate pointers get all screwed up. I know why it's happening (my pointer update code is the problem) and now just have to fix this. It's not as easy as it sounds and will take some time to think over the best way to overcome this small problem
Old 02-07-13, 06:44 AM   #1762
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The Augustus.GR2 file was a great file to decompress and test the app with. It exposed many items that needed fixing/second look and it exposed many problems I didn't know existed in the app ...
does it all imply that GR2 files edited with previous versions of your editor are somehow broken or corrupted?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 12:34 PM   #1763
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

interesting...
It's awesome to hear that GR2EditorViewer is progressing so much!
Nice job, TDW!

On the gap's post: yeah, it is possible that a lot of them will have to be re-done. I also wonder if the above is the cause for my texture problems.
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-13, 12:52 PM   #1764
Ekmek
Mate

Quote:
The Augustus.GR2 file was a great file to decompress and test the app with. It exposed many items that needed fixing/second look and it exposed many problems I didn't know existed in the app Now that I have everything fixed and updated I read in the file and saved the image I read from the file to a new file (to ensure I read everything correctly). Then I had Sentinel give me a report of any broken chains and none were reported. Then I closed the file in the app. I did a compare of the original file to the new file and they were nearly identical (some very slight rounding errors for some of the float values). Granny Viewer was able to open the new GR2 file without problem and the app was able to read the new file without problems also. This means that what I read in from the original file was saved in entirety to the new file

In keeping with the GR2 tradition that the file hates to duplicate items this is what was really causing the app problems (duplicate pointers and duplicate extendeddata). I figured out how to overcome this and everything is fine until I add new data to the file. Then these duplicate pointers get all screwed up. I know why it's happening (my pointer update code is the problem) and now just have to fix this. It's not as easy as it sounds and will take some time to think over the best way to overcome this small problem

Great to hear. I guess the Otto Bismarck GR2 is no different than Augustus?
Old 02-07-13, 08:19 PM   #1765
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
does it all imply that GR2 files edited with previous versions of your editor are somehow broken or corrupted?
Depends. If there was any extendeddata that had a granny_struct_pointer that had a null value then yes. There is an easy way to tell if your file is broken and/or corrupted. Load the file in question with the app. After it's loaded and displayed press F1 to bring up the Sentinel window. Type:

getchainforsection 0 true

Scroll to the very top of the report. If it reports that it found broken chains then your file is broken and/or corrupt

Here is an example using the Augustus.GR2 file:

Augustus_Sentinel>
Augustus_Sentinel>getchainforsection 0 true
Linked list for section 0 (arttoolinfo)
this section's chain is complete

This example shows no broken chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
interesting...
It's awesome to hear that GR2EditorViewer is progressing so much!
Nice job, TDW!

On the gap's post: yeah, it is possible that a lot of them will have to be re-done. I also wonder if the above is the cause for my texture problems.
It's quite possible that your texture problems can be caused by a broken and/or corrupted GR2 file. Follow the procedure above to see if you have any broken chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekmek View Post
Great to hear. I guess the Otto Bismarck GR2 is no different than Augustus?
Haven't loaded it yet.

Now the good news: Found where the pointers were getting corrupted when any data was written to the Augustus.GR2 file (my error). Due to the duplicate pointers and/or extendeddata that the Augustus.GR2 file contained I was using an incorrect offset for the exporterinfo extendeddata (when I create these new entries in the GR2 file). Changed it to use the correct offset and everything is perfect The exporterinfo extendeddata was written to the file, file was saved to disk, Granny Viewer was able to open the new file with no problems and so was the app

I've included a little more error checking in this version so load/save times may increase a little. One major error checking during a save is the app will check for any broken chains and if any are found will inform you before saving the file to disk.

Have to do some more testing with this current version to ensure I didn't break anything major. There might be some bugs in this next version I release since I did a major overhaul to it from the bugs/errors found when trying to load the Augustus.GR2 file

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 02-07-13 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 08:35 PM   #1766
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Forgot to mention that in order to decompress compressed GR2 files you will need Granny Viewer v2.8.33.0 installed on your computer (as that's the version I RE'd to find where to install my hooks at). The app will spawn the Granny Viewer when it needs to decompress a GR2 file. You will need to select the same file in Granny Viewer so that it loads it and decompresses it (and while decompressing it will spit out the decompressed sections a la my injected code into it ). My app then takes these decompressed sections and builds a new GR2 file out of them

Old 02-07-13, 08:42 PM   #1767
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
It's quite possible that your texture problems can be caused by a broken and/or corrupted GR2 file. Follow the procedure above to see if you have any broken chains.
it is actually slightly more interesting...

Old 02-07-13, 08:59 PM   #1768
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

That is another way of checking for any broken chains. Your output is fine as section 0 reported no broken chains . I have all the other sections disabled from reporting currently in the release versions you all are using
Old 02-07-13, 09:04 PM   #1769
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
That is another way of checking for any broken chains. Your output is fine as section 0 reported no broken chains . I have all the other sections disabled from reporting currently in the release versions you all are using
ah, that will explain it, then. hehehe.

Still, makes you wonder wth with the textures then.
Old 02-07-13, 09:10 PM   #1770
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
Still, makes you wonder wth with the textures then.
After this next version is completed I'll look into the reported Texture issues. The more data everyone can give me about whatever problems they are having with this the better. I need files, write ups of the problem, what you did to make the problem appear, etc. so that I can try and duplicate it and single step it in Visual Studio's debugger to try and figure out why