SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-11-15, 11:17 AM   #136
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannogman View Post
Is it possible to make land clutter show on the radar plot? I've read that nearby land masses confused surface radars (at least) early in the war, but I've never seen pictures of what this confusion/interference looked like to the operator.
As far as I know, nobody has been able to fix that and it bothers me too.

SH I - SHCE has SJ 1 & SJ 2 PPI's and A-Scope radars that pick up land masses, small islands, etc and you know when that was made (with the SSI label) before UBI bought it.

When SH4 was being talked about I begged the Dev's to put some game time in on SH I to learn what the beginning of SH American submarines in the Pacific was, but if they did (I think one may have briefly been in our PTC group), they didn't see land masses on their SJ, or realize it was important. Instead, I get a video about how they doubled the detail of the SH3 water! Arrgh!

I have a pic of the SHCE stations - including a working TDC, not a picture of one.

Note the SJ Surface radar showing a land mass, and the A-Scope Aircraft radar, PLUS, not pictured, a visual Bathythermograph to see temperature variations in the depths..... not a crewman reporting it.

I'll take a Valium and calm down...... lol

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 09:28 AM   #137
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Nice work Art!!

If there were ever a reason to get into the coded files to fix something, the Radar in SH4 would be at the top of my list (well maybe tied with the Stadimeter).

For starters, the "covers" that were planed to cover up the two radar stations before you actually have them on board (due to availability, or initial purchase) should be implemented. Right now, even though the covers are modeled......they have no script to follow to when they are used, and when they get removed.

Not that I give a hoot about the U-Boat radar setup, EXCEPT that the feature gives a digital readout for range when a target is centered. That's good, you'll get a readout of say 1250 on the digital display. What's bad is the thing only reads in Meter's, even if you have the Imperial Unit of Measurements selected as an option! I've imported the digital readout over to the American radar before, but why? If your playing the Imperial Units of Measurements (which I hope you do if playing the American side) it's not going to give you Yards. Again, its a coded issue.

The trouble with the two different American radar stations (A-Scope and PPI) is that they both are "joined at the hip" regarding what they detect. There is no difference between what they detect. The difference is only in how they show the detection. They both show Surface Radar (SJ) results. I've been able to have both display aircraft easily (as well as surface ships). But, to have one show only aircraft (like the A-Scope simulating the SD radar only), and the PPI only displaying the SJ surface ships isn't possible unless we cut into the coded files and separate them. It's the same reason why you have SD radar from the start of the game, yet there's no visual display of the station (although the A-Scope would have been perfect for it). The stock A-Scope is just an extentsion of the SJ radar which the PPI also shows.......just plain dumb!

Not to mention the issue of the A-Scope showing close ranged targets with smaller spikes, than a distant ranged target having larger spikes!! They reversed the characteristics of the spike to what the spike should be. Again, its a code thing.

Just getting the things to work on an expected basis (a blip shows when a target is within range) was a challenge for the stock game. OTC fixed much of that issue, but there's plenty of other issues that should work better than they do, but not without venturing into the coded files for repair.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 10:06 AM   #138
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

The radar was my first disappointment with SH4. How could they get that screwed up so much when the first game in the series had it right?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 11:42 AM   #139
Haukka81
Medic

Downloads: 368

I hope that this mod will be ready some day.

AND i really hope that gameplay is high in list too. "Realistic" is not always so realistic. If you know what i mean.

We are not alone in the boat.

Example: target plot should be somehow made or least helped by crew
Haukka81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-15, 02:12 PM   #140
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt
Beach Leaf

Downloads: 164

One question; there will be some allied (not american) submarines that we can play?
Kapitain Oliver Leinkraunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-15, 08:20 AM   #141
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukka81 View Post
I hope that this mod will be ready some day.

AND i really hope that game play is high in list too. "Realistic" is not always so realistic. If you know what i mean.
Yes I do. I have no plans to remove elements of the game just for the sake of "realism". Some mods take out aspects of the stock game because its decided to be too game like, or not realistic. I don't plan to remove these kinds of elements......especially if there is a choice within the "Game Play Options" to remove them when you wish.

An example is the way the Navigation Map displays targets. Some mods use dots to display a detected target on the map. My mod will display the stock ship icon for general play, yet if you don't want the target icon displayed, you simply turn off the option. You want "realism", put on your "big boy pants" and enable the "No Contact Update" in the options section. You can mark a targets position with the pencil as you see fit. Why mess with something that has already been addressed by the stock game?

Yes, game play is high in my plan.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 08-14-15, 01:32 AM   #142
Haukka81
Medic

Im very happy to hear that.

Many mod's have nice graphics but lots of spotting problems etc.. so i wish just light adjust or tuning of stock graphics ..

If you need tester just pm

-edit- and please Keep campaing dynamic and quite random, one of the best things in Silent hunter is always been feeling that you newer can be sure what you find next , hard to explain with my limited English but RSRD is gret but is way too focused to realistic traffic. Too much empty areas and replay value is not so good. Just my opinion, RSRD is still great mod but very focused to history.

Last edited by Haukka81; 08-14-15 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-14-15, 08:08 AM   #143
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Many mod's have nice graphics but lots of spotting problems etc.. so i wish just light adjust or tuning of stock graphics
I think your talking about the environmental changes mods make. Did you see some of the screen comparisions of my environmental changes earlier in this thread? Found HERE.

Before I'm finished, complete testing of both enemy and sub visual detection will occur.

Quote:
......... one of the best things in Silent hunter is always been feeling that you never can be sure what you find next , hard to explain with my limited English but RSRD is great but is way too focused to realistic traffic. Too much empty areas and replay value is not so good.
I think a mixture between the stock game and RSRDC would work quite well........that's my plan.

Quote:
Old 08-14-15, 09:23 AM   #144
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

I think a mixture between the stock game and RSRDC would work quite well........that's my plan.

Old 08-14-15, 09:46 AM   #145
Haukka81
Medic

Quote:
I think your talking about the environmental changes mods make. Did you see some of the screen comparisions of my environmental changes earlier in this thread? Found HERE.

Before I'm finished, complete testing of both enemy and sub visual detection will occur.

Missed those , your is nice , stock is nice too but , but , TMO pic is horrible...that pastel Blue
Old 08-14-15, 11:57 AM   #146
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3228

Quote:
Missed those , your is nice , stock is nice too but , but , TMO pic is horrible...that pastel Blue
Please, the environment could be something as RFB, or ISE, or FOTRS (a really nice enviro, a variation of Environment 5) or stock, but not TMO 25!!! Really, I respect Ducimus for all the great job in TMO but with the environment I don´t know in what exoplanet sea he was thinking....

@ CapnScurvy:

Could you change the cranes and buildings in ports? Comparing the scenery in SH4 with SH3 or SH5, the buildings, cranes, etc, are really awful.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-15, 12:19 PM   #147
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Yes I do. I have no plans to remove elements of the game just for the sake of "realism". Some mods take out aspects of the stock game because its decided to be too game like, or not realistic. I don't plan to remove these kinds of elements......especially if there is a choice within the "Game Play Options" to remove them when you wish.

An example is the way the Navigation Map displays targets. Some mods use dots to display a detected target on the map. My mod will display the stock ship icon for general play, yet if you don't want the target icon displayed, you simply turn off the option. You want "realism", put on your "big boy pants" and enable the "No Contact Update" in the options section. You can mark a targets position with the pencil as you see fit. Why mess with something that has already been addressed by the stock game?

Yes, game play is high in my plan.
And my TMOPlot mod should be plug-in compatible. Please test and ensure it doesn't interfere but I don't think it will in any way. Might be some missing ships and I'd be glad to make it work in that regard. I agree that letting the player be in charge of how he plays is the best strategy.

I think if you used the TMO plotting system you'd automatically lock out the the new players who need to conceptualize the targeting process, and that is best done with the stock plotting system.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-15, 02:55 PM   #148
Haukka81
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And my TMOPlot mod should be plug-in compatible. Please test and ensure it doesn't interfere but I don't think it will in any way. Might be some missing ships and I'd be glad to make it work in that regard. I agree that letting the player be in charge of how he plays is the best strategy.

I think if you used the TMO plotting system you'd automatically lock out the the new players who need to conceptualize the targeting process, and that is best done with the stock plotting system.
Your Tmoplot is nice but i tuned it even more nice for my use, now i have hq contact raports shown as vanilla (speed in contact raport is back etc) but all targets in visual range are just black dots.

But this plot mod is just good balance between no map updates at all , now we have to think way to get some kind interval to these updates
Old 08-14-15, 07:25 PM   #149
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

In practice I pay no attention to HQ reports because by the time I get to them they're not there and it takes me away from my assigned mission. You get renown by sinking enemy shipping, contact reports and completing missions. Chasing HQ reports just doesn't fit in unless the report is right where you are anyway.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15, 01:07 AM   #150
Haukka81
Medic

Default Day of Infamy

I have tuned hq reports so that i only get those that are closer, you get less then but least they are useful.
Stock gives some that are way too far to reach.

And idea is not to go where they are when you get report, you have to plot their course and try to get ahead them.

Last Night i was on my way to recon mission when i got intel report-> big convoy heading my way , just plotted intercept course , i i dont die i will go then back to recon.

( i really like those recon missions, they are maybe unrealistic but still fun and thats much more important. )

I have really good mod soup now, GFO plus some others = bit like sh 4 2.0v

BTW: Here is my mod list if someone new player need 100% working and solid mod soup. Zero ctd etc..

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[E:\Silent Hunter 4\MODS]

Game Fixes Only Mod v1.1
Webster's S-Class Mod
Nav Map Make-Over v2.1
NMMO Airbase Add-on
NMMO v2.1 Patch 1 with AB
ParaB's fewer radio contacts
Pacific Sound Mod
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix
Optical Targeting Correction
OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio
TMOPlot Final_Haukka81Edition (my version)

+4gb patch

If someone likes to get this just pm. I have single 7zip packet with all needed things

Last edited by Haukka81; 08-15-15 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Mod list added