SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-08, 04:36 PM   #1
greyfish
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Modern Day Sub Sim

I would really like to see a modern day sub sim with all the graphics and reality of silent hunter 4 with everthing that is going on all around the world today it would be great to have a modern sub sim.
greyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 05:07 PM   #2
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

Hello Greyfish!!! Good to have you aboard Skipper,and Welcome!!!!
Old 10-06-08, 05:54 PM   #3
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfish
I would really like to see a modern day sub sim with all the graphics and reality of silent hunter 4 with everthing that is going on all around the world today it would be great to have a modern sub sim.
A Kilo simulation alone will be well worth the price of admission.

The kilo is designed to get big results and effects on the cheap. If you look at the model in Dangerous Waters you will note how it is so much more like Silent Hunter than a 688.

The difficult part of making a modern subsim is modeling the advanced systems for the player to interact with. If you limited it to one class then even a moderate code change can give you enough to simulate Kilo warfare.

Also there is PLENTY of ways an "Alternate Universe" could have used a Kilo.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 06:19 PM   #4
Lexandro
Navy Dude

Downloads: 100

As a new blood to the SH franchise I dont carry any baggage about previous incarnations of the game. I only play Sh4 with Uboat pack and I must admit it is a great game, one that I thoroughly enjoy. Im not new to the genre though as I was a skipper back in the Destroyer Command days.

That said I do believe another WW2 game is entirely feesable and would still go down a treat with new and old fans alike. But imo for it to stand out againts the others in the series I would personally make it a proper world war 2 game. That is to say allow the played to be a skipper for any of the major forces in WW2 (GB/US/Rus/Ita/Ger/Jap). Thats a tall order when you think on it with the boats and different career tracks. But if limited to one single country it would HAVE to be a bloody amazing game to be popular imo. Making it divergeant with different career tracks would open a whole new aspect to gameplay.

Like what if you start as a GB skipper and get "assigned" to US or Aus commands, like an exchange officer as happened many times in the war. Same can be done on the flip side, say start as U-boat skipper and get asked to take an Italian boat in the med.

In essence what Im getting at is a much wider theatre or operations. The game engine in SH4 has practically the whole world in it. Taking this up a notch and making world wide sailing possible would be at the forefront of my thinking for SH5. Squash the bugs that keep recurring in each title (like dodgey wave effects/savegame corruption) beef up area of operations, and rework the render with a bit of high end DX9 tech and make the weather more impressive (like 60foot waves) and your looking at a potential top 10 game easily.
Lexandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 09:02 PM   #5
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

Whole aspect (Or world) games take SERIOUS work to do without seriously degrading the individual aspects.

You would get a bunch of boats with interiors that are not historically correct, parameters off, that kind of junk...

It would take atleast as much time as SH3 from start to finish and likely alot longer. Thus if something like that were to happen I think it would be like I mentioned above.

The more I think about it. The more it seems this game will follow the "Kill tha Soviet bad guyz" trend started by such titles as World in Conflict.

Think about it.

In the 50s the mainstay of our sub force was the Guppy conversions. So sub warfare would have been mostly the same except for more use of homing torps (And nuke torpedoes but obviously this would be alt universe so that can be tossed) and Jet/Helo ASW.

So if you ignore the soviet sub for playable units and keep it to blasting surface ships.. Well it is sort of possible in such a short timeframe.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 10:00 AM   #6
doulos05
Planesman

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexandro
In essence what Im getting at is a much wider theatre or operations. The game engine in SH4 has practically the whole world in it. Taking this up a notch and making world wide sailing possible would be at the forefront of my thinking for SH5. Squash the bugs that keep recurring in each title (like dodgey wave effects/savegame corruption) beef up area of operations, and rework the render with a bit of high end DX9 tech and make the weather more impressive (like 60foot waves) and your looking at a potential top 10 game easily.
I'm all for it, but I do have to say that I've experienced some pretty high waves in SHIV. Periscope depth on a Balao class is 60 feet, and on external view, my conning tower was breaching in the troughs of the waves. So, the waves were probably only ~40 feet (since the depth is to the keel, so it's not quite 60 ft).
Me:
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-08, 07:21 AM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexandro
I'm all for it, but I do have to say that I've experienced some pretty high waves in SHIV. Periscope depth on a Balao class is 60 feet, and on external view, my conning tower was breaching in the troughs of the waves. So, the waves were probably only ~40 feet (since the depth is to the keel, so it's not quite 60 ft).
Yeah, but I want HUGE waves! You know, the kinda monsters that used to rip merchant's rudder off etc.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 06:37 PM   #8
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200
Default A hunch re the new or possible SH5

I think, knowing the publishing industry as I do and the way editors think, not far different from the games industry

I have a hunch that the folks at Ubi have seen the amount of work and dedication from the various individuals and teams of modders, and I recon SH5 will simply be a game that utilises or improves on all the graphics and game play issues highlighted in SH3 and SH4 and they will still set it in WW2 but they will make it a surface and / or submerged sim, in other words you can choose ships or subs, who knows maybe even air as well
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 01:37 PM   #9
geosub1978
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 229

I can only imagine of one title:

"SILENT HUNTER 5"

BACK TO THE ATLANTIC
Old 08-17-09, 09:59 AM   #10
DigitalAura
Straight and True

Downloads: 8

Nice! ETA 2010... I'm giddy with anticipation. It says all new code... and Uboats in the Atlantic! So... it's not a modern sub game. That's good news!

... ALL YOUR BEACH ARE BELONG TO US! ...
DigitalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 10:23 AM   #11
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

@ DigitalAura: :rotfl:That is a great sig!
Old 08-17-09, 10:31 AM   #12
tater
Navy Seal

Uploads: 2

A really good sub sim requires adding some things missing from SH4/etc.

Currents, more fidelity for underwater terrain, better AI, more detailed damage models (progressive fires, damage control for ships, etc), a proper spherical world with the right horixzon distances for spotting, weather that varies by location (squalls you can sail into or out of, variable winds and directions, etc).

Interestingly, surface warfare is a special case of submarine warfare. Any engine that does subs really well, can also do surface warfare well. And for any time period.

Think about it.

The best engine would therefore allow them to do add on for surface warfare—ww1, ww2, modern, heck, ANCIENT would be possible. This is all with stuff that would make the next gen SS great. Sailing would require a sailing model, and I'd pay money for that, too.

Bottom line is that a really good engine would allow, well, any naval stuff you could wish to see as add-ons/mods with some decent fidelity.
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 11:32 AM   #13
DigitalAura
Straight and True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
@ DigitalAura: :rotfl:That is a great sig!
Thanks! I took a still from "JAWS" and added a sub pic I googled..added a rolling surf, and sky, and altered colours a tad for uniformity.

... ALL YOUR BEACH ARE BELONG TO US! ...
DigitalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 11:59 AM   #14
fireship4
Ensign

Downloads: 41

Yeah I laughed when I saw it on the thread too, good job.
Old 08-17-09, 12:07 PM   #15
Gorgon
Swabbie

Downloads: 7

Rejoice!

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...xclusive/News/

Gorgon is offline   Reply With Quote