SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-18, 09:14 AM   #1
Vivid1963
Swabbie

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Icon13 Kursk -The Game

Personally as one with naval connections I find the "Game" In bad taste, given that the Tragedy was so recent and the loss or ARA San Juan even more so. I wonder if such a game would be made based on the USS Thresher or USS Scorpion - I think not.
Wartime losses are one thing, all submariners know that Wartime service gives a very low chance of survival.
Games set in either world war are historical, with many fictional elements and done in due respect to those who served, In Silent Hunter III, the U Boat commander Eric Topp was a Technical Adviser - would he have done that if he considered it an Insult to his lost comrades, I doubt it.
I leave you with a final thought on Kursk - what do you think the Widows, families and friends think of such a "game", as well as the Russian people - I know what I would think.
Subsim, please do not consider giving "games" like this serious reviews, they are in very poor taste, and not worthy of serious comment.
Vivid1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-18, 02:28 PM   #2
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid1963 View Post
Personally as one with naval connections I find the "Game" In bad taste, given that the Tragedy was so recent and the loss or ARA San Juan even more so. I wonder if such a game would be made based on the USS Thresher or USS Scorpion - I think not.
Wartime losses are one thing, all submariners know that Wartime service gives a very low chance of survival.
Games set in either world war are historical, with many fictional elements and done in due respect to those who served, In Silent Hunter III, the U Boat commander Eric Topp was a Technical Adviser - would he have done that if he considered it an Insult to his lost comrades, I doubt it.
I leave you with a final thought on Kursk - what do you think the Widows, families and friends think of such a "game", as well as the Russian people - I know what I would think.
Subsim, please do not consider giving "games" like this serious reviews, they are in very poor taste, and not worthy of serious comment.

DSCN2727 by B S, on Flickr

These are the graves of some of the Kursk's crew (others were buried in home town or not found), Having stood there seeing the faces of the men on the grave stones i can tell you it is one sobering sight, i have been to Laboe and the war time submarine losses in U boats, i have been to Chernobyl and seen the devastation and i will say nothing came close to the utter disrespect shown to the crew of this submarine than some tin pot production company making a few quid from a tragic accident.

I have spoken with Igor Kurdin and also Andrey Nikoaev who are part of the Submarine veterans club in St petersburg they are both understandably upset and dismayed at this game, because when it happened these two were the front line for the families they supported them they took care of them and now not even 20 years on this stupid production company wants to make something from their misery.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-19, 08:59 PM   #3
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post

These are the graves of some of the Kursk's crew (others were buried in home town or not found), Having stood there seeing the faces of the men on the grave stones i can tell you it is one sobering sight, i have been to Laboe and the war time submarine losses in U boats, i have been to Chernobyl and seen the devastation and i will say nothing came close to the utter disrespect shown to the crew of this submarine than some tin pot production company making a few quid from a tragic accident.

I have spoken with Igor Kurdin and also Andrey Nikoaev who are part of the Submarine veterans club in St petersburg they are both understandably upset and dismayed at this game, because when it happened these two were the front line for the families they supported them they took care of them and now not even 20 years on this stupid production company wants to make something from their misery.
One man's "misery" is another man's entertainment.

Luckily we have the freedom to make games we wish to, and sell them to people who want to buy them. Whether that makes everyone 100% happy or not. Thank God. Can't imagine living in a world where having things is determined by: Is someone's panties in a twist? Yes? You can't have it.

What an awful world to live in.
Old 04-21-19, 01:48 AM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Indeed it is, however if you look at games like silent hunter no names are mentioned only fictional ones the engagements are fictional.

What they certainly should have done is just called it something other than Kursk could have called it Sub Down or something of that nature, but for me the fact remains it is based on a real life event and uses the Kursk name to bolster the game which isnt exactly tasteful.

Just MHO

Old 04-21-19, 06:46 PM   #5
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Indeed it is, however if you look at games like silent hunter no names are mentioned only fictional ones the engagements are fictional.

What they certainly should have done is just called it something other than Kursk could have called it Sub Down or something of that nature, but for me the fact remains it is based on a real life event and uses the Kursk name to bolster the game which isnt exactly tasteful.

Just MHO
And as someone pointed out to you, you have no issues with the Silent Hunter franchise doing the same. I haven't seen you say including The Hood in World of Warships is distasteful, and only three men lived from that.

No, they certainly should not have. If it is distasteful for you, don't buy it, or read about it. That simple. No need to act like the game shouldn't exist just because it "offends" you. Facts, video games, and video gamers, don't care about your feelings! And thankfully your power to control what gamers see or get, died in the 90s.
Old 04-22-19, 03:45 AM   #6
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
And as someone pointed out to you, you have no issues with the Silent Hunter franchise doing the same. I haven't seen you say including The Hood in World of Warships is distasteful, and only three men lived from that.

No, they certainly should not have. If it is distasteful for you, don't buy it, or read about it. That simple. No need to act like the game shouldn't exist just because it "offends" you. Facts, video games, and video gamers, don't care about your feelings! And thankfully your power to control what gamers see or get, died in the 90s.

And as i pointed out Silent Hunter takes a fictional boat fictional crew and operates against a fictional enemy, the names of ships dont appear your attacking a C2 cargo or a T2 tanker not a specific ship.
It is also set in war time not based on an accident like this game is.

I have never played world of warships so not aware of that.

As for does it offend me ? NO it doesnt offend me i just find it distasteful as does a lot of other people especially the families of the victims.
While i can only express opinion (and that is what it is) a much more powerful source can certainly have the game entirely shelved, if Igor Kurdin and the families decided against a court case to have damages paid out then that would sink the game entirely.
(He has already assisted in doing this with Hostile waters film and that was against a European consortium)

Like i said if they had changed the name then things would be a lot different it would be no complaints.

Change only comes from protest, and yep i didn't buy it and yes i am against the name of the game not the game itself.

Old 04-22-19, 04:01 AM   #7
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
And as i pointed out Silent Hunter takes a fictional boat fictional crew and operates against a fictional enemy, the names of ships dont appear your attacking a C2 cargo or a T2 tanker not a specific ship.
It is also set in war time not based on an accident like this game is.

I have never played world of warships so not aware of that.

As for does it offend me ? NO it doesnt offend me i just find it distasteful as does a lot of other people especially the families of the victims.
While i can only express opinion (and that is what it is) a much more powerful source can certainly have the game entirely shelved, if Igor Kurdin and the families decided against a court case to have damages paid out then that would sink the game entirely.
(He has already assisted in doing this with Hostile waters film and that was against a European consortium)

Like i said if they had changed the name then things would be a lot different it would be no complaints.

Change only comes from protest, and yep i didn't buy it and yes i am against the name of the game not the game itself.
U-Boats weren't fictional, WW2 wasn't fictional.

I care absolutely nothing about victims who use lawyers to bully people around they disagree with. Those are the absolute worst kind of "victims". Good thing I don't live in a country subject to the EU, and it's oppressive ways.

You mean the Igor Kurdin who helped write Hostile Waters?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Host...ih=800&dpr=1.5

So it's ok for him to profit off the deaths of victims. It's cool, the world is filled with "Lawyers" like that. They don't scare anyone but cowards.

And protesting gets nothing done. All protesting does is inconvenience hard working people who just want to be left alone. The only thing it really does, is make people really hate your cause.

Also, bought a copy of the game in your name. So you did buy it. Checkmate!

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-22-19 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 06:00 PM   #8
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid1963 View Post
I agree. I am failing to see the entertainment value of a game based on an accident like this.
Old 01-31-19, 06:05 AM   #9
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1352

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I agree. I am failing to see the entertainment value of a game based on an accident like this.
I totally agree with you

Tags
kursk